Jairus Byrd's Injury...

What I fail to understand is we knew about injury from college, probably had a physical around draft and the damn team docs didnt suggest he get it fixed right after draft vs now. I understand he may have been finishing school but to me this is his new livelyhood get it fixed and addressed. Oh well hindsight is 20/20

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Wrong, he was a corner/FS/Rover in college. On the Oregon athletics page he is listed as a free safety

http://www.goducks.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB...p;ATCLID=175543

Jairus Byrd Scouting Report

Projected Draft Position

by FFToolbox Writers

Ben Standig's 5/1 Mock Draft Not selected

User Predictions for Where

Jairus Byrd will be drafted

2nd Round

Position: CB

School & Year/Status: Oregon - Drafted

Jersey Number: #32

Height & Weight: 6'0 - 204 lbs.

Ranked #85 on our Top 100 Prospects Board

Drafted 2.10 by BUF

ShareThis

2009 NFL Draft Prospect Scouting Report:

person

Jairus Byrd, CB, Oregon

The son of former San Diego Charger Pro Bowler Gil Byrd, Jairus is as tough as his father. His type of size and playing desire (he is a workout warrior) are coveted by NFL teams. He is a very fluid athlete with good ball hawk skills, and his vision and field awareness are top notch. Byrd is one of the few cornerbacks in this class that enjoy contact. He is a great run supporter who would make most open field tackles. Seldom missing an assignment, Byrd will stick neck-to-neck with his assignment in the short to mid zone. He has good hip turning ability, with great hands and instincts for the position.

However, he is not a burner. Byrd lacks top end speed (4.56) and the burst to recuperate once he is beaten. He does not close quickly enough, and tends to lose contact with the ball. Often followed by play fakes, Byrd is better in zone coverage than in a man-to-man situation where his lack of speed could be masked.

He is in a battle for the number three CB slot with Coye Francies and Alphonse Smith. Byrd is a solid (albeit not spectacular) player who could develop into a solid number two CB in the NFL. There has been some talk of moving him to Safety because of his physical style and lack of pure speed. Nevertheless, Byrd should make some NFL general manager look very good in a few years.

What I fail to understand is we knew about injury from college, probably had a physical around draft and the damn team docs didnt suggest he get it fixed right after draft vs now. I understand he may have been finishing school but to me this is his new livelyhood get it fixed and addressed. Oh well hindsight is 20/20

I wonder...did they offer to pony up for the cost of his surgery? :doh:

I've no idea what it would cost...10K? Maybe more? The kid and his family might not have had the ready cash...dunno.

Jairus Byrd Scouting Report

Projected Draft Position

by FFToolbox Writers

Ben Standig's 5/1 Mock Draft Not selected

User Predictions for Where

Jairus Byrd will be drafted

2nd Round

Position: CB

School & Year/Status: Oregon - Drafted

Jersey Number: #32

Height & Weight: 6'0 - 204 lbs.

Ranked #85 on our Top 100 Prospects Board

Drafted 2.10 by BUF

ShareThis

2009 NFL Draft Prospect Scouting Report:

person

Jairus Byrd, CB, Oregon

The son of former San Diego Charger Pro Bowler Gil Byrd, Jairus is as tough as his father. His type of size and playing desire (he is a workout warrior) are coveted by NFL teams. He is a very fluid athlete with good ball hawk skills, and his vision and field awareness are top notch. Byrd is one of the few cornerbacks in this class that enjoy contact. He is a great run supporter who would make most open field tackles. Seldom missing an assignment, Byrd will stick neck-to-neck with his assignment in the short to mid zone. He has good hip turning ability, with great hands and instincts for the position.

However, he is not a burner. Byrd lacks top end speed (4.56) and the burst to recuperate once he is beaten. He does not close quickly enough, and tends to lose contact with the ball. Often followed by play fakes, Byrd is better in zone coverage than in a man-to-man situation where his lack of speed could be masked.

He is in a battle for the number three CB slot with Coye Francies and Alphonse Smith. Byrd is a solid (albeit not spectacular) player who could develop into a solid number two CB in the NFL. There has been some talk of moving him to Safety because of his physical style and lack of pure speed. Nevertheless, Byrd should make some NFL general manager look very good in a few years.

Ok, so some guys draft blog knows more about what position he played in college than his team's website?

I think you can pretty much count him out as being much of a factor this year now. He's going to miss all of TC and the first 3-4 games of the season. For a rookie, that pretty much X's the guy out of any meaningful playing time. ST's? Maybe, but much more than that? No.

Not sure where you get your schedule from. As Mark Gaughan pointed out:

A sports hernia injury generally has a wide recovery range — from four to eight weeks. Byrd's surgery was considered routine and it's believed he may be closer to the four-week recovery period.

If things go according to plan, Byrd will start practicing around 8/14 and TC lasts until 8/19...

Ok, so some guys draft blog knows more about what position he played in college than his team's website?

Everyone has always said he was a db this is the first i have heard that he played some safety too.

Everyone has always said he was a db this is the first i have heard that he played some safety too.

I think you mean CB. Yes he started out as a CB at Oregon, but moved into a Safety/Rover position after this second year. He played Safety all through high school as well. I have no idea why he was projected as a CB prospect because it hadn't been his natural position because Oregon plays a hybrid defense.

another great pick cb in the second round made no sense

This Jairus cat better be better than Everette Brown, Clint Sintim, Connor Barwin, Max Unger, LeSean McCoy, Phil Loadholt, William Moore and Fili Moala...just to name a few of the players we could have had.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2009_NFL_Draft#Round_two

I think you mean CB. Yes he started out as a CB at Oregon, but moved into a Safety/Rover position after this second year. He played Safety all through high school as well. I have no idea why he was projected as a CB prospect because it hadn't been his natural position because Oregon plays a hybrid defense.

Well that is good news I had thought they took a guy in the second round without even being sure he could play the position they had him slotted for.

Thanks for the info

I wonder...did they offer to pony up for the cost of his surgery? :devil:

I've no idea what it would cost...10K? Maybe more? The kid and his family might not have had the ready cash...dunno.

sounds like a good plan

kid not under contract

team wants him to have surgery before he is signed

so he agrees because he is team player

after surgery, team balks at paying market wage because he is damaged goods as evidenced by recent surgery

brilliant, just briliant :devil:

sounds like a good plan

kid not under contract

team wants him to have surgery before he is signed

so he agrees because he is team player

after surgery, team balks at paying market wage because he is damaged goods as evidenced by recent surgery

brilliant, just briliant :devil:

Wow, nice fantasy.

the Bills wanted him to have surgery in June

why didn't they sign him then to clear the way for the surgery?

Why would the Bills sign him to a contract, back in June (when only Stafford was signed until Sanchez signed on the 11th) only to see Byrd's career possibly end before it began? Byrd should have had the surgery in June, been recovered with enough time to get a contract, and challenge for a starting spot, which would bring him more money.

Whatever the case, I hope Byrd plays asap. Loved his athleticism in college. He flies all over.

Just saw this piece on him - www.buf.scout.com -- on the lower left. It's the same guy who wrote this - http://buf.scout.com/2/874084.html

I am not a big fan of Donte Whitner as far as playmaking goes. Let's hope Byrd's recovery goes well.

i wonder why he waited a month to have surgery.

jw

i wonder why he waited a month to have surgery.

jw

Could be a number of things...insurance hoops and loopholes could have held things up. Asking for another opinion could has well. All we can hope for is he needs the minimal time to heal and get on the field ASAP

Could be a number of things...insurance hoops and loopholes could have held things up. Asking for another opinion could has well. All we can hope for is he needs the minimal time to heal and get on the field ASAP

with all due respect, i don't know if my point was rhetorical, if you get my drift.

jw