Who was there?

I was there. Froze my a$$ off at that game, though I still don't think it was as cold as the Raiders game a few years prior to that. I think the Raiders game that was absolutely bone chilling was in '88 or '89, I can't remember and I'm to lazy right now to look it up.

Anyway, I had the same problem as muddleman, I was tailgating with a bunch of people, had a keg in a U-Haul with a turbo heater in the back but as soon as you made your way down the iced up ramp, your beer was frozen. I actually lost a couple of toe tips at that game. GOOD TIMES THOUGH!!

As Ed McMahon used to say to Johnny on the only Tonight Show that counted; "You are RIGHT sir!" That coldest game in Rich Stadium history was a regular season Raiders game in 1988. It took me a week to warm up after sitting through that one. :flirt:

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I was there and have many great memories...it was the day after Christmas and on Christmas Eve the Bills put out a call via the local media for people to come shovel snow out of the stands, $5/hour. Many showed up, most of them homeless and without the proper winter attire. Seeing men shoveling snow in not much more than a sweatshirt and jeans, Marv Levy went into the locker room and brought out all the Bills jackets, gloves and hats he could carry and gave them to the workers. True story.

Also, on Inside the NFL the week following, the NFL Films clip started with Levy and Jets coach Bruce Coslett talking at mid-field before the game:

Levy: "We won't have 30,000 people here today."

Coslett: "Are you kidding? I just looked out at your parking lot, it's packed!"

Levy: "These people are crazy."

Classic :flirt:

The Bills Jets game -28 with wind chill how many of my fellow bills fans beat the elements and went to this game? The lasting image i have from that game is as a 9 year old asking my dad why those men have NO SHIRT ON? and my dad looking back at me laughing with no answer. Classic Buffalo Bills moment for me, just wanted to see who else was at that game.

My aunt was supposed to take me to that game since she had been given 2 tickets by her brother who was a season ticket holder and he couldn't go for some reason, but she said there was no way she was sitting outside in that...

Would have been a cool experience to be a part of, but I wasn't too mad at her...

As Ed McMahon used to say to Johnny on the only Tonight Show that counted; "You are RIGHT sir!" That coldest game in Rich Stadium history was a regular season Raiders game in 1988. It took me a week to warm up after sitting through that one. :flirt:

That Raiders '88 game was unbelievably cold, but there is no way it was colder than the Jets game the day after Christmas or the Raiders playoff game two weeks later.........Those two are almost tied in my memory (although I think the Jets might have been colder). I don't drink anymore and I'm not sure if I could do that again!

I wasn't at that game, but I did make it to the Raiders playoff game a couple weeks later...I drove a beat-up station wagon that year with no heat, which wasn't to bad..the bad thing was after freezing thru the game, I returned to my car and after putting some stuff away, my back window blew out when I put the hatch back down...so I had to drive home to wayne county frozen in a car with no heat and no back window..lol...still had fun tho

So cold, I burned holes in my gloves tending the bonfire 'cause I wouldn't take them off. Back in those days, you could still take a thermos full of hot (Irish) coffee into the stadium which helped ease the sting - the Bills took care of the rest. :doh:

As Ed McMahon used to say to Johnny on the only Tonight Show that counted; "You are RIGHT sir!" That coldest game in Rich Stadium history was a regular season Raiders game in 1988. It took me a week to warm up after sitting through that one. :doh:

Thanks VJ, I started seeing everyone talk about the Raiders playoff game and thought I was losing my mind, that playoff game was balmy compared to the Raiders in '88.

Thanks VJ, I started seeing everyone talk about the Raiders playoff game and thought I was losing my mind, that playoff game was balmy compared to the Raiders in '88.

NFL's Coldest Football Games Ever

9. Jan. 15, 1994 - Ralph Wilson Stadium - AFC Playoff: Buffalo Bills vs. Los Angeles Raiders - Temperature: 0 degrees / Wind chill: -32 degrees

I was there and have many great memories...it was the day after Christmas and on Christmas Eve the Bills put out a call via the local media for people to come shovel snow out of the stands, $5/hour. Many showed up, most of them homeless and without the proper winter attire. Seeing men shoveling snow in not much more than a sweatshirt and jeans, Marv Levy went into the locker room and brought out all the Bills jackets, gloves and hats he could carry and gave them to the workers. True story.

Also, on Inside the NFL the week following, the NFL Films clip started with Levy and Jets coach Bruce Coslett talking at mid-field before the game:

Levy: "We won't have 30,000 people here today."

Coslett: "Are you kidding? I just looked out at your parking lot, it's packed!"

Levy: "These people are crazy."

Classic :doh:

Thats what I remember. We did not tailgate for this game..only time i did not tailgate. Sat in my brothers seats, they were somewhat out of the wind so it was not all that bad. Do remember the foam freezing on the beer as soon as you got back to oyur seat. I also remember having to shovel out the snow, as the volunteers got the aisles clear, but the seats had a good foot of snow on them.

And man, did it ever take for ever to get out of the lots that day. I was still single, and my sister in law always got pissed when I came home and then dragged my brother out boozin after a game. This game we actually went right home, but took us like two hrs to get out of the lot. She no believe us though...way before everyboday had cell phones.

NFL's Coldest Football Games Ever

9. Jan. 15, 1994 - Ralph Wilson Stadium - AFC Playoff: Buffalo Bills vs. Los Angeles Raiders - Temperature: 0 degrees / Wind chill: -32 degrees

Hey that should really be 7th...WC was worse :doh:

7. Dec. 10, 1972 - Metropolitan Stadium - Minnesota Vikings vs.Green Bay Packers - Temperature: 0 degrees / Wind chill: -18 degrees

8. Dec. 26, 1993 - Lambeau Field - Green Bay Packers vs. Los Angeles Raiders - Temperature: 0 degrees

I wasnt there - Stationed on a AFB in Florida. No froozen beers...

You were right - you were losing your mind. The Raiders 88 was balmy compared to the back to back games we are talking about.