Wood Signed, Byrd Very Close

Great if its true...of course he's missed too much training camp to be any good now.. WTG front office :wallbash:

He will never be the player he could have been because of the shorts and t's practices he missed. Damn crazy, stupid kid.

Maybin's agent is the one holding out, waiting for picks above and below to sign before even talking to the Bills. As someone mentioned in another post, Wood and Levitre were the key guys to get to camp. Maybin and Byrd will catch up.

PTR

Much agreed - Wood and Levitre really need to be there as much as possible for the coaches to assess the O-line, although I have a feeling it isn't going to be the interior of the line that's going to be questionable, as much as the tackle positions. I've always liked Wilson at safety, and Scott; so, Byrd isn't as high a priority, IMO. Maybin, though, should be in ASAP. I think the coaches need to see what he can do in pads. As far as I can tell by reading the news on the OTA's, Maybin has a lot of people wondering what he'll be capable of in pads. Can't wait to see. But, in all, I think the Bills have done a good job of signing guys - I think we're quite far ahead of most other teams.

The wood signing is extremely important......

Levitre and Wood need to be here......our season relies on them so much

If the Bills season is heavily reliant on rookie offensive lineman then the Bills are in for a rude awakening.

The OL needs time to work together. It is unrealistic to expect the line to operate like an experienced line. This year is going to be a harsh education for the rookies. They are going against experienced NFL veteran defensive lineman who will have a big edge over the Bills revamped line. I don't really expect them start as a tandem. I expect a good deal of rotation.

Five new positional starters on the OL is virtually unheard of in the NFL.

I acknowledge the Bills needed to rebuild the line, but this year is going to be a rough;but necessary, learning experience.

Does anyone know why Wood is playing RG instead of LG? I thought that maybe his footwork coming out of his stance is faster on one side than the other. Right vs. left foot dominance.

I will admit that I do not have a clue as to if the my guess is correct or not. Anybody out there play organized ball on the OL have any insight to offer.

Does anyone know why Wood is playing RG instead of LG? I thought that maybe his footwork coming out of his stance is faster on one side than the other. Right vs. left foot dominance.

I will admit that I do not have a clue as to if the my guess is correct or not. Anybody out there play organized ball on the OL have any insight to offer.

Good question. Not sure about the technique aspect, but it's been mentioned from an attitude perspective they liked Wood/Butler for a nasty right side.

Also remember that Levitre played LT at Oregon. In addition to making him learn a new position, why would you want to move him to the other side of the center?

Also remember that Levitre played LT at Oregon. In addition to making him learn a new position, why would you want to move him to the other side of the center?

I remember an interview with Jauron saying that they want Levitre at LG because he's more technical and bigger, while Wood is more brute force.

Right after the draft they were penciling in Wood at left guard and Levitre at right guard. After the first OTAs, they flip-flopped them.

I believe I read something about the importance of pass protection on the left side where Levitre, a former left tackle would be more well-suited whereas Wood would add the power element to the right side...most teams are right handed when it comes to running the ball.

Part of Peters' problems last year stemmed from poor play by Dockery. I remember where a lot of Mike Gandy's pass blocking problems at left tackle here stemmed from Bennie Anderson being such a poor pass blocker.

By having Levitre at left guard hopefully he and Langston will form an unpenetrable wall picking up stunts, etc.

Right after the draft they were penciling in Wood at left guard and Levitre at right guard. After the first OTAs, they flip-flopped them.

I believe I read something about the importance of pass protection on the left side where Levitre, a former left tackle would be more well-suited whereas Wood would add the power element to the right side...most teams are right handed when it comes to running the ball.

Part of Peters' problems last year stemmed from poor play by Dockery. I remember where a lot of Mike Gandy's pass blocking problems at left tackle here stemmed from Bennie Anderson being such a poor pass blocker.

By having Levitre at left guard hopefully he and Langston will form an unpenetrable wall picking up stunts, etc.

Hit the nail on the head there San Jose. An athletic left and an aggressive right is what you're looking for in a standard blocking scheme. (Cue the Langston Walker isn't athletic jokes in 5...4...) A good year from Levitre or whoever is the starting LG is going to determine how well Walker looks on the outside. Why because Walker will only have to worry about getting beat to the outside and with his long legs and arms that shouldn't be too much of a problem.

Excellent post, took the words right out of my mouth!! :wallbash:

Much agreed - Wood and Levitre really need to be there as much as possible for the coaches to assess the O-line, although I have a feeling it isn't going to be the interior of the line that's going to be questionable, as much as the tackle positions. I've always liked Wilson at safety, and Scott; so, Byrd isn't as high a priority, IMO. Maybin, though, should be in ASAP. I think the coaches need to see what he can do in pads. As far as I can tell by reading the news on the OTA's, Maybin has a lot of people wondering what he'll be capable of in pads. Can't wait to see. But, in all, I think the Bills have done a good job of signing guys - I think we're quite far ahead of most other teams.

I agree with this completely. But as an extreme realist, whether or not a good job was done by the front office, Wins will determine if it even means anything.

If the Bills season is heavily reliant on rookie offensive lineman then the Bills are in for a rude awakening.

The OL needs time to work together. It is unrealistic to expect the line to operate like an experienced line. This year is going to be a harsh education for the rookies. They are going against experienced NFL veteran defensive lineman who will have a big edge over the Bills revamped line. I don't really expect them start as a tandem. I expect a good deal of rotation.

Five new positional starters on the OL is virtually unheard of in the NFL.

I acknowledge the Bills needed to rebuild the line, but this year is going to be a rough;but necessary, learning experience.

Butler, Walker and Hangartner have experience in the NFL. Walker has played some left tackle, as recently as last year, and Butler started the entire season at guard while his college position was tackle. Hangartner played center last year for the Panthers, although he did not start every game. In all, this line should come together better then you are projecting, even if both rookies do end up starting at the guard positions. (And I think they definitely will.) Wood, Levitre and Hangartner look like they are strong, fast and nasty. What a change from Fowler/Preston and the overrated weak Dockery. I thought Butler did a good job at guard last year anyway, and he seems to have the agility to take on the right tackle spot. The biggest question mark will be how well big Langston holds up on the left side.

But all in all, the added youth and strength on the line this year is something to applaud the Bills for. The mental mistakes will come, but they can be masked with muscle and desire down in the trenches, more then mental mistakes can be masked at the skill positions. :rolleyes: