Nic Harris

Pitta

From Chris Brown:

2:55

[Comment From Andrew ]

What's your take on Nic Harris? He looked bigger than I expected in person. Do you think he could take Ellison's starting role at some point this season?

2:56

Chris Brown: Harris is a quick study and has done well in the early going. He's often getting praise from the coaching staff for his reads on defense and today he got a pat on the back for his technique on special teams. It's looking like he's going to be the most realistic challenger for Keith Ellison on the strong side.

http://www.buffalobills.com/fans/live-chat.html

That's good news

Over-sized safeties can make very good cover 2 LBs (Brian Urlacher), because of their ability to drop into coverage.

The Urlacher comparison is a bit premature, but I'm pulling for him. He's got good size already, a chance to get a little bigger, he's got decent coverage skills and can lay a hit.

The Urlacher comparison is a bit premature, but I'm pulling for him. He's got good size already, a chance to get a little bigger, he's got decent coverage skills and can lay a hit.

I didn't mean to compare Harris to Urlacher. I was just giving an example of a college safety, deemed too slow to play S in the pros, switching to LB in a cover 2 defense and doing well.

Somehow the Bills got a starter in almost every round...

wehn you dont sign free agents and can't keep your own players you end up with starters in every round, whether you like it or not. hence why ellison is still starting. heres hoping harris is legit.

I didn't mean to compare Harris to Urlacher. I was just giving an example of a college safety, deemed too slow to play S in the pros, switching to LB in a cover 2 defense and doing well.

I know, the comparison is inevitable. He's a little strange in that he can run sideways and backwards as fast as he can forward. I'll be interested to see how he holds up at the point of attack.

I am just excited that we have a threat to Ellison. Biggest fear was to go into camp and have no one challenged him for the job.

scouting report:

2009 NFL Draft Prospect Scouting Report:

person

Nic Harris, SS, Oklahoma

Nic Harris is a big, hard-hitting safety who has given nightmares to Big 12 opponents. It started when he was a freshman and earned some starts at free safety. A year later Harris was playing corner and ended the season back at free safety, where he led the team in interceptions and started to show just how good he could be. By his junior campaign, Harris was earning all-conference accolades from just about everybody

At 6-3 and 230 pounds, Harris is a big safety. Yet, his foot speed does not suffer due to his size. Harris does a great job getting into the backfield and he is always a candidate to blitz out of the secondary. During the 2007 season he recorded 9.5 tackles-for-loss and 3.5 sacks. Harris is not known for his coverage abilities, but he is not bad at it. Besides leading the team in 2006 with four interceptions, he tallied two in 2007 and broke up seven passes.

Harris might not have the pure athleticism and talent of some of the great safeties that have played in the NFL, but he is a solid player and low risk selection. For now he is likely a mid-round selection, but Harris can move his stock up quite a bit with a good senior season and a decent showing at the combine.

12/17 Update: Harris had a solid senior campaign, but did not put up eye popping numbers. He tallied 64 tackles, including three for a loss, but did not get a sack or an interception all year long. The Sooners defense had other playmakers to rack up the sacks and interceptions and Harris did what the team needed him to do. Despite the lack of flashy numbers, Harris still earned AP third-team All-America accolades.

2/12 Update: Harris is trying to move to the outside linebacker position, but the results are not so good. During practices at the Senior Bowl he struggled to move through all the traffic. His footwork is still fine, but he will have to add strength in order to fight through blocks. Harris will need to do better during the NFL Combine or he will fall into the second day of the draft.

Mark my words. He's going to take the spot, and he's going to be Oglethorpe. I like the bit about his ability to come in on the blitz. Always a challenge blitzing Brady*, but the mental image of Oglethorpe tattooing his jersey number on Brady's* rib cage will leave me smiling all day long.

That would be comparing them... :wallbash:

From Chris Brown:

[Comment From Andrew ]

What's your take on Nic Harris? He looked bigger than I expected in person. Do you think he could take Ellison's starting role at some point this season?

Chris Brown: Harris is a quick study and has done well in the early going. He's often getting praise from the coaching staff for his reads on defense and today he got a pat on the back for his technique on special teams. It's looking like he's going to be the most realistic challenger for Keith Ellison on the strong side.

That's good news

After watching a couple pratices I can't believe they haven't mentioned Alvin Bowen he was all over the field.........................

After watching a couple pratices I can't believe they haven't mentioned Alvin Bowen he was all over the field.........................

I haven't been to practice yet, but I'm going tonight, I thought Bowen would have been awesome last year, he was all over the field at the couple of practices I went to, I'll keep an eye on that battle tonight.

I was all over Harris the entire 08 season and 09 draft, and pretty sure I actually built his proverbial bandwagon-- thats how much I rooted for him. He is so perfect for the Bills I still cant believe they actually drafted him. Some FYI on Harris: He never lifted weights at OK because he was trying to stay small enough to play safety. He worked out yes but no heavy weight lifting like the other 99% of the players do, some him putting on weight isa non-issue. I was at Fisher yesterday and at first thought Harris was absent because there was no #49 as he was listed in the paper, but I figured he changed numbers. There were 4-5 black LBs out there, one being Pat Thomas (59). I checked online later and Harris has switched to #54. As they did positional drills 10 feet from me I took close notice to each of theirs size to see how big he had gotten. #54 was the tallest and maybe 2nd biggest of ALL our LBs. I hope DJ doesn't hold him back because he is a rookie and throws him in the mix from day 1. IMO he is already better than Ellsion.

Asking Chris Brown about the Bills is like asking Burger King to critique the Whopper. Trust him to tell you it's a burger but not about how it might compare to another burger.

No offense to Nic Harris who may be a fine future player, but Chris Brown is Burger Kings fry guy.

Er, anyway...

From Chris Brown:

[Comment From Andrew ]

That's good news

Asking Chris Brown about the Bills is like asking Burger King to critique the Whopper. Trust him to tell you it's a burger but not about how it might compare to another burger.

No offense to Nic Harris who may be a fine future player, but Chris Brown is Burger Kings fry guy.

Er, anyway...

Which one is it? Good news from CB, or because CB is Ralph's waterboy it cannot be trusted? :wallbash:

12/17 Update: Harris had a solid senior campaign, but did not put up eye popping numbers. He tallied 64 tackles, including three for a loss, but did not get a sack or an interception all year long. The Sooners defense had other playmakers to rack up the sacks and interceptions and Harris did what the team needed him to do. Despite the lack of flashy numbers, Harris still earned AP third-team All-America accolades.

what I can't count on Ellison doing

Ok, this thread is weirding me out, but it doesn't have to do with Nic Harris.

I post on another site, under the name gilchristfan, but like to read some of the comments on this site, there are some pretty good posters here.

This same discussion (literally) took place elsewhere, and I remember having this discussion with someone the other night.

http://!@#$.com/showthread.php?t=162863

Looking at this thread, it was a bit strange to have my comments, in several posts, being used by someone named Pitta. I've been called a PITA before, but never Pitta.

Why anyone would want to impersonate me, I have no idea, I'm a pretty boring person.

Ok, this thread is weirding me out, but it doesn't have to do with Nic Harris.

I post on another site, under the name gilchristfan, but like to read some of the comments on this site, there are some pretty good posters here.

This same discussion (literally) took place elsewhere, and I remember having this discussion with someone the other night.

http://!@#$.com/showthread.php?t=162863

Looking at this thread, it was a bit strange to have my comments, in several posts, being used by someone named Pitta. I've been called a PITA before, but never Pitta.

Why anyone would want to impersonate me, I have no idea, I'm a pretty boring person.

Yeah, I picked on that too. He already changed his name over the other site. He goes back and forth with the thoughts of both members sites, creating threads, not once giving his opinions but of others. He was Cunninlingus on the other site and now his user name is Gucci.

Check the Carucci thread about Fitzpatrick on this site (#2 post), it's sad really.

Yeah, I picked on that too. He already changed his name over the other site. He goes back and forth with the thoughts of both members sites, creating threads, not once giving his opinions but of others. He was Cunninlingus on the other site and now his user name is Gucci.

Check the Carucci thread about Fitzpatrick on this site (#2 post), it's sad really.

That is a bit pathetic

Mark my words. He's going to take the spot, and he's going to be Oglethorpe. I like the bit about his ability to come in on the blitz. Always a challenge blitzing Brady*, but the mental image of Oglethorpe tattooing his jersey number on Brady's* rib cage will leave me smiling all day long.

Bills fans, I think we have the beginnings of a nickname...

Er, anyway...

What are you talking about? Burger King flame broils their burgers, they don't fry them.

This is a bit long, and maybe a bit off topic, but I have a story about Nic Harris from last night's Practice...

Anyways T.O. signed about a dozen autographs near me before leaving (And it was a total mob scene, never in my life have I seen such chaos as men, women and children alike were simulating a mosh pit to get to him) But Nic Harris and Brian Moorman were the only other players to sign autographs. Moorman signed for about 5 minutes across the field. But Harris completely signed an autograph for EVERY person in my section including doubling back for those who ran over from getting Moorman's autograph on the other side. But what really impressed me was even those who did not have anything for him to sign (I came only with my Edwards jersey hoping to catch him) he still shook your hand through the rails and introduced himself. He was on the field for so long, only Edwards was left giving interviews and they started shutting the lights off.

A kid near me (oddly) had a home made poster of him with pictures from college that said "Sargent of the Defense" He spent about three minutes talking to him and writing several paragraphs on his poster.

He also pulled a Thurman Thomas and lost his helmet when he realized someone picked it up off the field.

"Can I have your helmet?" Some Guy asked.

"Cause that would make sense, right?." He said getting a laugh from everyone.

All in all, guy is a class act and I am pulling for him 100% to land a starting role.

After watching Harris last night, I was impressed, even though he's a little raw, his size, speed, and footwork were adequate and should only get better with experience, he may not replace Ellison right away, butin a little time he will be starting. . . . ;)

Its nice to see a guy from a troubled background make something of himself, while avoiding the pitfalls that bad friends and bad decisions that so oftentimes happen to derail young guys.

Chris Brown picked his words carefully when he said that Harris is "the most realistic challenger" for the job. He avoided speculation altogether. Which is probably right. It could happen but it's unlikely this year.

I'm glad i'm not the only other one who noticed this too. Chris Brown has to be careful with his wording. I cannot blame him for it. What he said is true tho. Even tho it is a bit vague.

wehn you dont sign free agents and can't keep your own players you end up with starters in every round, whether you like it or not.

This is a great point that does not seem to take root in people's minds.

Too many people try to determine the quality of a draft by counting the number of resulting starters. If you are a poor team or one that often jettisons its stars when their contract is up (often these are one and the same), you will tend to draft a lot of starters but that does not mean you are making any headway vs. other teams. Does this sound like any team we know of?

This is a great point that does not seem to take root in people's minds.

Too many people try to determine the quality of a draft by counting the number of resulting starters. If you are a poor team or one that often jettisons its stars when their contract is up (often these are one and the same), you will tend to draft a lot of starters but that does not mean you are making any headway vs. other teams. Does this sound like any team we know of?

Sounds like several NFL teams. What's your point?