Charlie Coiner: " Shawn Nelson is lost"

Pitta

Hopefully he will catch on fast now that he is in camp.

Charlie Coiner in the newest Bills Digest:

"Shawn Nelson is lost. He's trying. It's a lot. He's extremely talanted and can run,run,run. I've been impressed with his toughness. When you put him next to the tackle, he's determined to block. But it's technique and work in the weight room and he's going to have to do both. He's learning and has a great attitude and just has to stay after that."

I get the feeling that this is probably true, that he probably is pretty unpolished though physically gifted. On his blog, Chris Brown seems to have been saying the same thing, working to downplay expectations of his production this year. I've got high hopes for him in the future, but from the sound of it, I don't think he'll see much more than spot receiving duty and ST work this year.

I get the feeling that this is probably true, that he probably is pretty unpolished though physically gifted. On his blog, Chris Brown seems to have been saying the same thing, working to downplay expectations of his production this year. I've got high hopes for him in the future, but from the sound of it, I don't think he'll see much more than spot receiving duty and ST work this year.

Yeah, this basically reaffirms what most fans expected.

I'm pretty sure he's not lost. I saw him yesterday. :blush:

Rookie WRs (which he essentially is) are often zero impact. For a guy who hasn't blocked much, it's even harder to learn to block as well. I don't expect to see Nelson a lot this year on offense. Probably 2-3 downs a game where his role is extremely clear. He won't even get Hardy's game time.

Yeah, this basically reaffirms what most fans expected.

He didn't have to do much blocking in college. He was thought to be willing, though. Why would anyone expect him to be anything other than a little bit lost, this early into camp? This seems more like an observation than a "story". Down the road, if he is still lost, it is a story.

funny, Chris Brown in his chat just was talking about how Nelson has been doing well

In his blog today, Brown mentioned that Nelson did well in blocking, too.

I assume that because the Coiner report was in the most recent Bills Digest that Coiner was talking about after the OTAs. Nelson has only been in camp two days. Still, I don't expect that much out of Nelson this season. If things work out well, the three of them will be splitting time by the middle of the season. I hope we don't use too many two-TE sets that include Shouman and Fine because I think that really limits our offensive firepower, but we may have to to help out the OL.

We needed to pick up a TE in this draft and there were lots of good ones.

We waited til the 4th round to pull the trigger and I think,no I know we got the best TE on the board at the time. He was highly rated down in the south and the Falcons were interested til they did a deal for Tony G.

I like Shawn and he is going to be a great TE. Maybe even get him in as a WR on situations,he has speed to burn.

funny, Chris Brown in his chat just was talking about how Nelson has been doing well

I could be wrong (prolly am) but I think this was written during/after the OTAs. Nelson missed most because he had to wait for graduation before he could participate. He's had time since then to work on the playbook and understand what the team expects from him. Maybe Brown is seeing improvement between the end of the OTAs and now.

This is EXACTLY why we can't depend on rookies to improve the team in the first year. This is prescisely why I'm disappointed that so many people have high hopes for rookies, and think our team will be better. I think the team will be worse (7-9 would be a good season IMHO), and I'm not happy about it.

Going into the offseason we needed serious help on o-line, d-line (end in particluar), and LB. The two positions we significantly addressed in FA were center and WR. We did precious little otherwise.

The moves made this offseason weren't made with any sense of urgency about winning this year. You can't do the same thing year after year and expect to improve. Nelson may end up being a great player in a few years, but if you have to limit his exposure to the field because can't block, we're screwed. Our problems at TE continue. Christ, I bet we'll even miss Robert Royal and Lonnie Johnson.

Bottom line: Potential doesn't win football games. All rookies have is potential, and can't be depended on to contribute in year one and probably not year two. Adding a center, switching a pro-bowl T for a pro-bowl WR while at the same time depending on a new batch of rookies to perform isn't a good plan to win in '09.

I could be wrong (prolly am) but I think this was written during/after the OTAs. Nelson missed most because he had to wait for graduation before he could participate. He's had time since then to work on the playbook and understand what the team expects from him. Maybe Brown is seeing improvement between the end of the OTAs and now.

I think you are talking about Byrd

He didn't have to do much blocking in college. He was thought to be willing, though. Why would anyone expect him to be anything other than a little bit lost, this early into camp? This seems more like an observation than a "story". Down the road, if he is still lost, it is a story.

Well put.

My hope is that they'll be able to utilize his receiving talent in situational duty (can you say, "red zone"?). I'd give him very limited responsibility instead of throwing the whole playbook at him.

Give him his 4 or 5 plays to grab onto until he runs them like an old vet. Gradually integrate the other aspects of the TE game.

I have visions of Evans, T.O., Stephens, and Nelson as potential nightmares for opposing D's if they were all running towards the endzone at the same time. Go ahead, put a linebacker on Lynch, Jackson, or Rhodes. Good luck with that.

In his blog today, Brown mentioned that Nelson did well in blocking, too.

I assume that because the Coiner report was in the most recent Bills Digest that Coiner was talking about after the OTAs. Nelson has only been in camp two days. Still, I don't expect that much out of Nelson this season. If things work out well, the three of them will be splitting time by the middle of the season. I hope we don't use too many two-TE sets that include Shouman and Fine because I think that really limits our offensive firepower, but we may have to to help out the OL.

I expect he won't get too much playing time this year, maybe as the season progresses he will get a few spot opportunities as a flanked out TE.

A possible ploy to throw the Cheatriots* off. Lokk for him to have 200+ yrds in the Monday night opener. (we can all wake up from the dream right now).