I know We Say This Every Year

Looking at that site, our spring notables will be:

Terrell Owens

Josh Reed

Terrence McGee.

There's a few other miscellaneous guys (Keith Ellison, Pat Thomas, Ryan Denney, Ashton Youboty) but by and large, our work will be pretty straightforward. TO's the big issue. He's probably mutually exclusive with Reed, if he stays, we should have Hardy or Johnson ready to go at #3, otherwise, we'd better hope one of those guys is a starter.

McGee is valuable but replaceable, depending on how much you like Reggie Corner. As long as it doesn't prompt another CB pick in 2010.

Note: potential uncapped year in 2010. It won't be the huge bonanza for players that it's been made out to be, but it's surely not going to hurt the team with deep pockets needing to re-sign Wilfork, Kaczur, Watson, Seymour, etc.

Here is the question, if a team signs a number of players to BIG longterm contracts in an uncapped 2010, how does that impact that team in a capped 2011?

I know We Say This Every Year, BUT, I Believe This Is The Last Year Of New England

And to respond to this post every year, I have to put my hatred for the Patsie's aside and look at it realistically. And unfortunately by doing that, as much as I hate to say it, I come to the realization that the Patsie's will be very good again and the team to beat in the AFC...

Note: potential uncapped year in 2010. It won't be the huge bonanza for players that it's been made out to be, but it's surely not going to hurt the team with deep pockets needing to re-sign Wilfork, Kaczur, Watson, Seymour, etc.

If I remember correctly, if they make the playoffs I believe they can only sign only a few players...the teams that dont make the playoffs are open to as many as possible...

Wow. Not after this coming season, but after the following one, here are their free agents:

Tom Brady

Randy Moss

Matt Light

Logan Mankins

Laurence Maroney

They are going to lose probably two of those. I'd say Maroney and one of the linemen. Maybe even 3 of those. That is huge.

And did anyone else notice Richard Seymour is only 29 years old? Jesus, I thought that guy was ancient.

Unfortunately after seeing this years draft the Pats are in a possition to stock pile draft picks for another year or two and still be very competitive. They picked up so many draft picks this year for next it almost made me sick. They may be losing some players to free agency but they should be able to replace them within a year. At the same time they have enough pieces in place to continue their tear through the AFC. IMO Tom Brady is the key, If Brady doesnt come back 100% and very close to the way he was before the injury then they may be in serious trouble. Personally I would have signed Cassell and tried to trade Brady and get as much as you possibly could for him.

On the question regarding a capless 2010 and how it would effect 2011. To my knowledge any team over the cap would have to cut as much as possible to get under the cap. Thats most likely why you will see huge 1 year contracts. Teams dont want to get into trouble in the event there is a salary capped 2011. This maybe be a good thing depending on how you look at it. There will be lots of high profile players that will be FA's the year after an uncapped 2010. It all depends on if that even happens. I would think its in the best interested of everyone (with the exception of rookies since there will be a rookie salary cap) that there is new contract in place.

Unfortunately after seeing this years draft the Pats are in a possition to stock pile draft picks for another year or two and still be very competitive. They picked up so many draft picks this year for next it almost made me sick. They may be losing some players to free agency but they should be able to replace them within a year. At the same time they have enough pieces in place to continue their tear through the AFC. IMO Tom Brady is the key, If Brady doesnt come back 100% and very close to the way he was before the injury then they may be in serious trouble. Personally I would have signed Cassell and tried to trade Brady and get as much as you possibly could for him.

On the question regarding a capless 2010 and how it would effect 2011. To my knowledge any team over the cap would have to cut as much as possible to get under the cap. Thats most likely why you will see huge 1 year contracts. Teams dont want to get into trouble in the event there is a salary capped 2011. This maybe be a good thing depending on how you look at it. There will be lots of high profile players that will be FA's the year after an uncapped 2010. It all depends on if that even happens. I would think its in the best interested of everyone (with the exception of rookies since there will be a rookie salary cap) that there is new contract in place.

I agree they are stockpiling picks, however they have lost some very important figures in the personel evaluation dept. Pioli this year and Dimitrof lastyear. Dont get me wrong i am not saying they will completely implode. But their last two drafts have not been anything that outstanding.

I agree they are stockpiling picks, however they have lost some very important figures in the personel evaluation dept. Pioli this year and Dimitrof lastyear. Dont get me wrong i am not saying they will completely implode. But their last two drafts have not been anything that outstanding.

I do agree, that I think and hope that they will start to decline. Everything in the NFL pretty much goes in cycles so its inevitable that it will happen sooner or later. They havent had amazing drafts by any means, but they might be going for quantity over quality. If they get enough guys to choose from they will sure enough find someone that will fit really well into what they are all about. I just worry that with how good they have been in recent years that they might have enough talent to carry them and grow their younger talent for years even w/o having Pioli or Dimitrof. Bill and Tom might be the most important pieces, I just fear that it wont end until they both do.

Im still gonna say the Bills put a hurtin on them on the first game of the season and it will give this team the confidence it needs to thrive.

If I remember correctly, if they make the playoffs I believe they can only sign only a few players...the teams that dont make the playoffs are open to as many as possible...

They can only sign someone else's UFA for each on that they lose, I think, but if it's just staff retention, that doesn't matter.

The system only works in your favor if you're good and rich, so the Cowboys might not benefit.

I asked Florio over at Profootballtalk about the consequences of spending big on cantracts that might end up being too much in following capped years. He replied that the team would have to cut or restructure contracts to make their team fit under the cap. I don't think it will be as crazy as people assume, because there won't be a floor, either, and teams will be able to spend as little as they want. I thing most owners are already pissed at the percentage that goes to the players, so, other than a few hard core spenders - Jerry Jones, Dan Snyder come to mind, most teams will go about things in a pretty normal fashion, I'd think, because eventually there'll be back to normal contract in place.

As for the Pat's...I admire their ability to put in anyone and win, more or less, but I'd rather think that the Bills can put together a roster, which is young now, and mostly under contract for a while, that will give other teams headaches. We could be a few pieces away from having a damn good roster, so I'm hoping we find the guys to make it up there and to stay there.

I believe that every year Wilson survives, is a year he'll be willing to do more and more to see a great Bills team. He's gotta want to see a championship here before he dies.

The defense is getting older and the team just won't be able to hang on to all those free agents. The secondary to me already lost Harrison and is filled with a bunch of cast offs some of whom are old (Shawn Springs and Legi Bolden) the rest of the secondary are young draft picks who you just don't know if they are going to pan out.

The linebacking core is getting older and besides Mayo who is young? Adalius Thomas is 32 Bruschi is 35 and they lost Vrable. The rest of the bench are cast offs like Paris Lenon and Tully Banta-Cain and low round draft picks. The Defense this year could be terrible. Besides their defensive line which is still a great unit what part of their defense could you say with no doubt they are good.

A secondary that is shaky at best a line backing core that has 1 good young player. To me the Pats are going to be a team that is going to have to out score a lot of teams this season. They can do that with the offense they have. Yet that is not conducive towards playoff success. So to me they will go 11-5 or 12-4 win the division and get bounced before the AFC title game either in the first or second round.

Its not over for the Pats but they do have to restock their D with talent and keep as many pieces as possible in order to keep the train going.

Tom Brady is an above average QB and not the second coming of God as ESPN would like to believe. He throws to wide open recievers after not being pressured in the pocket one bit and his balls are not accurate, something you would notice if his WR werent so open, or Randy Moss. With his injury and NEs line falling apart in 09 and (hopefully)continuing to fall in 10, he will finally show his very average colors. I predict Brady falls out of favor in NE beginning this season and unfortunatly it will all be blamed on his injury, which in regards to his "legacy", will be a lovely coincidence in timing.

You would trade Tom Brady? Fail.

Tom Brady is an above average QB and not the second coming of God as ESPN would like to believe. He throws to wide open recievers after not being pressured in the pocket one bit and his balls are not accurate, something you would notice if his WR werent so open, or Randy Moss. With his injury and NEs line falling apart in 09 and (hopefully)continuing to fall in 10, he will finally show his very average colors. I predict Brady falls out of favor in NE beginning this season and unfortunatly it will all be blamed on his injury, which in regards to his "legacy", will be a lovely coincidence in timing.

Outside of homers with blinders on, Tom Brady can't be left out of top 5 all-time Qb discussions. His rings and stats speak for themselves. The only thing worse than losing, is losing with sour grapes. Send up the spygate signal into the sky. We need our resident homers to come in and tell us the Pats suck. :lol:

:lol:

I admire the effort.