I would just like to know

Jasper,

Thanks for the comments....and it does help to be able to talk to some one who has gone through this......

Right now we are in the "hammer waiting to fall mode" until someone says he is not physically going to be able to play he is still in get ready for season mode.

I got a text from him just a few minutes ago since I am at work...he wanted to go bench with his team. I didn't think it was a good idea until we had a final determination on what was going to happen....as it is I am getting calls from his coaches trying to figure out if he is going to be able to play. I just didn't want him to deal with those questions right now....shoot for all I know some underclassman might try to finish that knee off for a chance at playing time...:devil:

Just told him to wait for me and we would lift together at our membership gym like the good old days........

Sounds like you are already doing a great job!

I will say that lifting weights was something I really became interested in after my accident. My brother was one of those bodybuilder types and though I never got THAT serious, I still would workout with him for a while. I would lift weights before the accident with the team with moderate interest, you know just seeing who could bench and squat the most. But after the accident I became all about lifting weights and learned it's not all about who can lift the heaviest. I did upper body until my ankle was healed enough for me to do squats.

I went through nearly 2 years of rehab and it was worth it. Another big fear to overcome is doing the things the way you did before. I was scared to do intramural sports in college at first, but I finally just did them. No re-injuries so far... :thumbsup:

Keep positive, and to quote a former Bill I interviewed during college, Mr. Shaud Williams: "A life without challenges is not a life for me."

• Replies 204
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I know I've come late to the party but I must chime in...First John, sorry about your son, hopefully it will work out and he can continue to play.

Secondly, ans you are right on...not everyone can relate to John in this thread, but I sure can, because of what I'm going through with my son, he plays basketball. He's had more than his share up twists and turns along the way, good grades, bad grades and other typical teenage things...He's had varying degrees of projections from people about his college prospects D3 to D1... Hearing these kinds of things about your kid from coaches or scouts is something unlike anything else...if he got injured or failed to make it I would feel as crushed as he would, is that living vicariously through him? I want him to achieve what is possible for him.

My son knows he won't be playing in the NBA, he loves the game, he has a passion for the game...that's why he wants to play in college...to him right now, the education part is a pain in the ass, he doesn't excel or fail, he gets by. He doesn't like school, never has. Am I happy with that? Hell no, but that's who he is, that's his decision. I don't ride him about his grades, I've found that to be counter productive. If he screws it up that's on him. Maybe that makes me a bad dad too.

John's son had a dream, he wanted to help him realize the dream, that is not living vicariously through him...he shares his son's victories and defeats...he's a proud Dad that obviously loves his kids...it's as simple as that. I completely understand and wish him the best.

Great post, I concur. Nothing wrong with being a proud papa.

I know I've come late to the party but I must chime in...First John, sorry about your son, hopefully it will work out and he can continue to play.

Secondly, ans you are right on...not everyone can relate to John in this thread, but I sure can, because of what I'm going through with my son, he plays basketball. He's had more than his share up twists and turns along the way, good grades, bad grades and other typical teenage things...He's had varying degrees of projections from people about his college prospects D3 to D1... Hearing these kinds of things about your kid from coaches or scouts is something unlike anything else...if he got injured or failed to make it I would feel as crushed as he would, is that living vicariously through him? I want him to achieve what is possible for him.

My son knows he won't be playing in the NBA, he loves the game, he has a passion for the game...that's why he wants to play in college...to him right now, the education part is a pain in the ass, he doesn't excel or fail, he gets by. He doesn't like school, never has. Am I happy with that? Hell no, but that's who he is, that's his decision. I don't ride him about his grades, I've found that to be counter productive. If he screws it up that's on him. Maybe that makes me a bad dad too.

John's son had a dream, he wanted to help him realize the dream, that is not living vicariously through him...he shares his son's victories and defeats...he's a proud Dad that obviously loves his kids...it's as simple as that. I completely understand and wish him the best.

I think we are of the same ilk

John, let me start this out by saying I have the utmost sympathy for your son. As a father, I can also understand your pain in seeing something you wanted for your child disappear. As a person, I can feel his pain somewhat as I blew out my ACL a few years back. It is mostly normal now, but I think I preferred the broken leg from a couple of years before.

With that said, I think the usual people who are generally harsh have showed a lot of restraint. I would suggest, it may not feel that way at the moment. In some cases, ir was probably painful...

And with that said, considering what John is like (what I can glean from his posts), isn't it likely he talked football mainly when discussing his son? I mean this is a football board. So if he left out the bits about arguing with his son about grades, who could blame him?

I hope he didn't hurt himself.

I heard he is expected to take 2-3 weeks to regain use of his acid tongue. Of course, he claims he is a quick healer...

:thumbsup:

ACL sprain instead of ACL tear........

One of the doctors he saw thought he might have ACL micro tears (a sprain) rather then a full blown tear

If its torn he cant play his senior year.......if its sprain he can as long as he gets sports therapist approval.....I wont allow him without it.

When will you have the results?

fixed it for you :devil:

Poojer.....uh yeah that is what I mean to say..... :wallbash:

Actually.....a plan is in place to get the grades up already working with his student councilor. We addressed this right after the school year. He is also taking a summer course to make up one of the core classes....or to create room his senior year to retake a core class....or something to that affect.

ACL sprain instead of ACL tear........

One of the doctors he saw thought he might have ACL micro tears (a sprain) rather then a full blown tear

If its torn he cant play his senior year.......if its sprain he can as long as he gets sports therapist approval.....I wont allow him without it.

That is great news. IMO I would focus on education now. If he is so gung ho for football, then you have what you need to ensure he gives it his all in the classroom. In other words you give him an ultimatum, "If I don't see x (whatever you think he can handle) grades every six weeks then you are out of football." Your fallback position if you do have to remove him can be, if he gets his grades back up to x. So that would give you some cushion, although he may miss a couple of games.

Just my opinion of course.

That is great news. IMO I would focus on education now. If he is so gung ho for football, then you have what you need to ensure he gives it his all in the classroom. In other words you give him an ultimatum, "If I don't see x (whatever you think he can handle) grades every six weeks then you are out of football." Your fallback position if you do have to remove him can be, if he gets his grades back up to x. So that would give you some cushion, although he may miss a couple of games.

Just my opinion of course.

I should have done this last year......I am just too much of a puss to follow through with it.

Parenting is hard..... :wallbash:

I should have done this last year......I am just too much of a puss to follow through with it.

Parenting is hard..... :wallbash:

I know. I have taken the approach that it is for the better in the long run (when did I become my parents?). I hate it with every fiber of my being, but I learn what my child loves, so I can take it away from him when he doesn't do what is right.

Not fair, cool, or what I ever wanted. He is a willful brat though (13) and whipping is out as it never made an impression and he is too old now anyway.

If you do make the ultimatum, you need to track him every day and warn him if he slips. If he fails to meet the goals, you have to yank him.

Again, just my opinion. If you ever need a sympathetic ear, just shoot a PM. I agree that parenting is hard, but there are so many priceless moments as rewards.