Last post wins!

/dev/null

Like being in deep water: What is the difference if the water is 20 feet or 2,000 feet deep...The bottom won't help you! There is probably very little to feel about being 10 below or 60 below... STILL too damn cold!

But yeah... Jim is right... WTF is jboyst wearing all those clothes for?... My God, it is 18 degrees out and I am running around with shorts and a tee shirt.... I took my son to lacrosse practice and told my wife: "I better not break down, I am wearing shorts!" LoL... Don't worry, I got Carharts and a sleeping bag in the trunk... ;-)

I'm sitting outside, mostly, at the very most walking much. Waiting on water to warm up, waterers to fill, and being idle gets to you quickly. If I was working I'd maybe have on a layer of thermal tops and bottoms with a long sleeve tee and pants.

I wear shorts and a tee 99% of the time, even tonight when I will go grocery shopping I will have on a teeshirt, shorts and flip flops and the temps probably won't be over 40F.

Like being in deep water: What is the difference if the water is 20 feet or 2,000 feet deep...The bottom won't help you! There is probably very little to feel about being 10 below or 60 below... STILL too damn cold!

But yeah... Jim is right... WTF is jboyst wearing all those clothes for?... My God, it is 18 degrees out and I am running around with shorts and a tee shirt.... I took my son to lacrosse practice and told my wife: "I better not break down, I am wearing shorts!" LoL... Don't worry, I got Carharts and a sleeping bag in the trunk... ;-)

Actually Its a huge difference in how quickly the cold will overwhelm you. Think of the reverse....how much of a temperature difference do you notice goin from +10 to +60

Don't get me wrong -10 is cold as hell but -60 is much worse

Actually Its a huge difference in how quickly the cold will overwhelm you. Think of the reverse....how much of a temperature difference do you notice goin from +10 to +60

Don't get me wrong -10 is cold as hell but -60 is much worse

Having lived 110 miles below the arctic circle for the past three years, I can tell you that there is a HUGE difference between -20 and -40. Once it hits -40, IMO, you can't really tell the difference if it drops further to -60. My eyeballs froze on the way into Walmart this morning.

Riding snowmobiles at 40 below in Canada is very !@#$ing cold.

Years ago I was in Montreal on my birthday and it was 40 degrees below.

I learned that 40 degrees below is the same in Celsius and Fahrenheit.

It's so cold you can't breathe the outside air directly. You have to filter it through a scarf or something. Bitter. Bitter. Cold.

By the way, I looked for your brother again at the Somerset Fly Fishing show yesterday and today. Didn't see him. Hope all is well.

All of it depends on what you're doing, too. If you are goign to be sweating, not moving, in the sun, in the dark, exposed to wind or not. I have been in places where it is 50 degrees but there is 20mph winds and sun and I would rather be under clouds, 20 degrees and a breeze. The wind pulls that heat off of you. Once you start sweating while exposed to freezing temps you could be making a deadly mistake if you are going to be exposed to the elements for a prolonged period of time.

That night I wore so much I was basically sitting letting some water boil in a shed, fixing a water trough, did not feel like sitting in the house the entire time, and wanting to take a bit of a nap. I wanted to be able to stay warm vs. keep from getting cold. I am very warm blooded as it is, my gf calls me a furnace.

Having lived 110 miles below the arctic circle for the past three years, I can tell you that there is a HUGE difference between -20 and -40. Once it hits -40, IMO, you can't really tell the difference if it drops further to -60. My eyeballs froze on the way into Walmart this morning.

How the hell do you live in Fairbanks? Not like I live in hawaii 18 years in ANC but every time I look at temps up there I think thank God it's not me.

Years ago I was in Montreal on my birthday and it was 40 degrees below.

I learned that 40 degrees below is the same in Celsius and Fahrenheit.

It's so cold you can't breathe the outside air directly. You have to filter it through a scarf or something. Bitter. Bitter. Cold.

By the way, I looked for your brother again at the Somerset Fly Fishing show yesterday and today. Didn't see him. Hope all is well.

he turned that show down.

How the hell do you live in Fairbanks? Not like I live in hawaii 18 years in ANC but every time I look at temps up there I think thank God it's not me.

-50 with dense ice fog this morning :sick:

It's horrible...you are pretty much imprisoned in your home for 6-7 months out of the year. I hate it here, and I'm moving back East in June.

WOW! Good luck! Stay strong. How much snow on the ground? Does it even snow @ those extreme cold temps?

It does snow when it gets into the positives, but that is infrequent. When it does snow, however, it stays all winter long as you might imagine. I think we probably have about 12-18 inches total on the ground presently.

It does snow when it gets into the positives, but that is infrequent. When it does snow, however, it stays all winter long as you might imagine. I think we probably have about 12-18 inches total on the ground presently.

Yikes! The coldest I ever felt was -30 in Baraboo, Wisconsin back in 2007. LoL... Of all places, we went to an indoor waterpark @ the Dells... The place was dead... Rest of the weekend was skiing @ Cascade Mountain... It was miserable, we should have just stayed in the pool...

Edit: Or was it 2008... When did the Packers get beat by the Giants @ Lambeau... ?? Then went on to beat the Pats* for the first time:.. Would that be January 2007 or 2008?

Edited by ExiledInIllinois