Last post wins!

/dev/null

What year was it? 4WD? I am pretty sure you have said it was a Ranger? As long as it is paid for, why not keep it for the crappy days and when its nasty out? It can haul stuff, too. Get yourself a nice simple Lexus or Mercedes.

1998. 2WD. Yes, Ranger. If I can't get a decent trade in on it, I might consider keeping it. But I do want my next vehicle to have better gas mileage, so it needs to get better than 20mpg. Right now, if I traded it, I should be able to get $2,000 no problem. Who knows in a few months with the mileage I'm putting on driving back and forth to work.

So my original Ford factory radio doesn't like track 1 on any CD. So I order a cheap replacement from Amazon since I have gift cards from Christmas. First problem, they ship it to my PO box, which means ground shipping, not free 2-day shipping that I signed up for with Prime. Second problem, once it arrives, it doesn't have a CD player, just AM/FM/iPod dock, even though on the description page it referenced CDs. So I order a different model, overnight for $3.99, making sure it said and shows a CD slot. It arrives today, I get it installed, and it doesn't work. The "multi-control" when you turn it doesn't change any setting, and the on/off button doesn't work. So they'll ship me a replacement overnight. I wonder what's going to be wrong with this next one.

Didn't you test the unit on the bench with a reliable 12vdc power source?

What I am saying is you may have a bad ground too?

1998. 2WD. Yes, Ranger. If I can't get a decent trade in on it, I might consider keeping it. But I do want my next vehicle to have better gas mileage, so it needs to get better than 20mpg. Right now, if I traded it, I should be able to get $2,000 no problem. Who knows in a few months with the mileage I'm putting on driving back and forth to work.

Ranger here too. A 2003. Watch your junk mail in

your postal mail box,lots of dealers send out requests

to buy the old car.

It has power, that's not the issue.

Wow... So strange that you would get one that was so defective! If the on/off switch did not work, how did you turn it on? I am pretty sure the illumination is a separate wire? Was your harnes/adapter pinned correctly? I am pretty sure Fords vary by specific models and years... Even within a model year!... Chryslers on the other hand run almost uniform! I am almost sure Ford harness adapters vary! That is why I would test it on the bench after running into problems... Did the new one they sent out work on the first hook up?

Did the new one they sent out work on the first hook up?

Didn't even swap them out. It was the faceplate like I figured it would be. Some functions are available without turning it on, that's how I knew it wasn't the radio, just certain buttons on the faceplate were bad.

Didn't even swap them out. It was the faceplate like I figured it would be. Some functions are available without turning it on, that's how I knew it wasn't the radio, just certain buttons on the faceplate were bad.

That is right, I forgot about the whole removeable faceplate thing! I am living in the past! I suppose there could be a whole slew of problems w/those things... Glad it was easy to fix! Do you have to return the old body/head unit or will they let you keep it?

EDIT: Just dawned on me, will other faceplates work with non-matching bodies/head units?

lot's of fog

Same here last night. Driving home from work I almost hit a deer. It was already dead, laying in the road. My Dad thinks some drunk hit it, and obviously won't stop and report it, since it was after 2am when I saw it, it sounds plausible.