What do you miss about Buffalo?

I left Buffalo decades ago for The City, but used to make frequent visits for reunions with my family. Now my parents have passed away, and I don't go back anymore. Now I live in the Phoenix area.

What I miss mostly is the food:

* John & Mary's Royal sub (Harlem Rd. only) - cappacola and I-sausage

* Texas Red Hots (the sauce, diced raw onions, and some mustard)

* local pizza shops

* real butcher shops like Redlinski's (don't tell me if they're gone)

• Replies 234
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

the Elmwood strip - Jim's Steakout Hot Blue Sub at 2 in the morning.

I miss family, Bills games, the costs of living are as good as anywhere.

When I go back these days its hard to enjoy the city as much as I once did since I don't have a place in the heart of it anymore. Staying with family out in the burbs just isn't the same.

I hope to move back someday, hopefully within the next decade.

I don't miss the 7 months of terrible weather each year. I don't miss the rampant fatalism. Also people need to eat more vegetables in buffalo. I swear I gain 10 lbs if I'm home for any longer than a weekend.

A decent CHICKEN WING. Everywhere else they are annoyingly called buffalo wings. There are a few places I have found outside Buffalo that make ok wings, but I really don't understand how it's so difficult to get right. I did my time as a fryer cook in my younger days so I know that making a good wing isn't rocket science. Large wings, hot enough oil and cook them long enough so they are crispy and you are half way there. Then keep it simple with the sauces. Have hot, medium and mild and end it there. All these places try to get fancy with 15 different sauces, breaded wings etc. Blue cheese only! Ranch by request.

Scimes"s homemade Italian sausage, Delaware Ave., Ted;s hot dogs, Webers mustard and picalilly relish. Good beef on weck, John and Mary's subs. Bison brand capacolla. Anderson custard. The friendly naborhood bars, Breakfast at Kostas greek restaurant on Hertel Ave. I now live in Charlotte, N.C., nice city but the culinary climate sucks.

- Sundays at The Ralph (but it was still Rich Stadium when I was there)

- the wings

- the short drive to get Canadian beer

- my friends who are still there

- and the Buffalo accent, such as the proper pronunciation of "Cheektwahgga"!

Also people need to eat more vegetables in buffalo. I swear I gain 10 lbs if I'm home for any longer than a weekend.

I went into a little super market on the Navajo reservation. Zero vegetables. I've been told, but have no real personal knowledge, that the typical diet is mostly fry bread, coffee and cigarettes. Fry bread is kinda if you took focaccia or naan bread dough and deep fried it instead of baking it. It's great for making huge tacos. It's about half an inch thick and comes out with a golden, crispy surface with some poofy bread in the middle.

I left Buffalo decades ago for The City, but used to make frequent visits for reunions with my family. Now my parents have passed away, and I don't go back anymore. Now I live in the Phoenix area.

What I miss mostly is the food:

* John & Mary's Royal sub (Harlem Rd. only) - cappacola and I-sausage

* Texas Red Hots (the sauce, diced raw onions, and some mustard)

* local pizza shops

* real butcher shops like Redlinski's (don't tell me if they're gone)

Texas Hots on Seneca St.

My family & friends

Mighty Taco

Any pizza & wing place

Chef's Spaghetti parm

Beef On Weck

The summer festivals

The Erie County Fair

Going to Bills & Sabres games

Real pizza, real Buffalo chicken wings, saline hotdogs, Rick Azar, Irv Winstein, Tom Joles, sneaking into the Aud to watch Sabre games from up in the nose bleed sections (standing of-course), being able to watch all the Bills games on TV without having to pay for direct TV, Wegmans, snow days out of school, pick up football games on any open field available, street hockey, skipping a day of school to go to Niagria Falls, the Buffalo Braves, the French Connection, OJ before the fall, Caz park, Erie county fair, the Drive-Ins, walking around downtown Buffalo before the trolley cars screwed it all up, exploring the old train station at the end of Main street before it was demolished, wondering if the Bills would ever play in a Super Bowl.

A decent CHICKEN WING. Everywhere else they are annoyingly called buffalo wings. There are a few places I have found outside Buffalo that make ok wings, but I really don't understand how it's so difficult to get right. I did my time as a fryer cook in my younger days so I know that making a good wing isn't rocket science. Large wings, hot enough oil and cook them long enough so they are crispy and you are half way there. Then keep it simple with the sauces. Have hot, medium and mild and end it there. All these places try to get fancy with 15 different sauces, breaded wings etc. Blue cheese only! Ranch by request.

A good rule of thumb is to never order wings anyplace that calls them 'Buffalo Wings'.

I estimate the odds of getting good wings outside of Buffalo is about one in ten. And the odds of getting something inedible are about one in three.

Scimes"s homemade Italian sausage, Delaware Ave., Ted;s hot dogs, Webers mustard and picalilly relish. Good beef on weck, John and Mary's subs. Bison brand capacolla. Anderson custard. The friendly naborhood bars, Breakfast at Kostas greek restaurant on Hertel Ave. I now live in Charlotte, N.C., nice city but the culinary climate sucks.

FYI, you can order Webers mustard online!

When I traveled out here to sign my lease, a co-worker who used to live in Amherst paid me 100 bucks to bring him back a cooler filled with Super Mighties.

That's a good story. Really shows you how much people love the food that is available in WNY and the lengths they will go to in order to get their hands on some if they move out of town. However, for $100, I would've made you go to a couple of other spots too and get a real variety from back home. Something like:

- A couple Super Mighties.

- Large cheese, pepporoni, and mushroom pizza from La Nova.

- Chicken finger sub from Pizza Junction.

- 20 Hot Wings from Duffs.

- 12 pack of Blue.

Then try to consume as much as possible in one sitting. After all, you gotta use those 12 cold ones to wash something down. :thumbsup:

I dated a girl who waitressed at the Anchor Bar, and I got the original process. It's a lot of work and starts the day before. I only go to the trouble once a year at the Super Bowl. I could NOT buy a decent for any $ in Phoenix.

The Fitness Factory on Delaware Ave in Kenmore, a decent pizza, fish fries (though we can get good ones down here in VA at Jimmy's Old Time Tavern), family, visiting Canada, not having to pay DirecTV hundreds of dollars to watch the Bills and Sabres, hiking the Niagara Gorge, fort Niagara, niawanda Park, the slower pace of life, and the Buffalo Library- no joke, that is one seriously cool place to get lost if you like to read.

South of Buffalo, I don't know if they know how to make pizza.

I dated a girl who waitressed at the Anchor Bar, and I got the original process. It's a lot of work and starts the day before. I only go to the trouble once a year at the Super Bowl. I could NOT buy a decent for any $ in Phoenix.