Trade Whitner while we still can

• Replies 184
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It shouldn't suprise anyone that Lori and the Dean would talk like Dick Jauron, considering their names are Lori and Dean Jauron. Keep up the insightful posting, you guys are the best! And keep buying those season tickets so everyone else has to pay $75 dollars a ticket to watch a 7-9 team. :o

75 is a bargain.... Quit crying and cough up some cash and get a set.............. of tickets, support the Bills!! I live in FL and have season tickets and make it to almost all of the games!!

Too bad that this thread went down the tubes. I wouldn't expect everyone to be receptive to trading Whitner. I wouldn't trade him either were it up to me unless I had a good offer, and a plan which isn't founded on building a football team around the secondary.

That said, there isn't a whole lot to talk about in early July, and there could have been some decent discussion.

Too bad that this thread went down the tubes. I wouldn't expect everyone to be receptive to trading Whitner. I wouldn't trade him either were it up to me unless I had a good offer, and a plan which isn't founded on building a football team around the secondary.

That said, there isn't a whole lot to talk about in early July, and there could have been some decent discussion.

Decent discussion went out the window a long time on this board.

This thread has definitely gone down a bad path. But you gotta admit, its kinda fun to read. It's almost like looking at monkeys in the zoo, you just can't believe some of the stupid crap they do (or say, in this case).

However, given the premise of the thread, I knew it was doomed from the first post. Seriously, there's no way you trade Whitner. I don't think anyone was glad we drafted him initially. To this day, I'd guess about 50% of the people here still wouldn't draft him. None the less, he has become a solid player that's a leader on the team. No, he's not one of the top 2 or 3 safeties in the league. But, by no means does that mean he should be traded either.

I would say that Whitner's biggest problem (for some people) is that too many people play fantasy football. All they know are certain stats that get them points. Whitner doesn't average a couple of interceptions a game, so they never see his name pop up on their FF sheets, ergo he must suck. Put Whitner on a team with a decent pass rush and decent HC; and watch his FF numbers improve.

The entire argument over Whitner s indicative of most Bills' fans short sightedness which probably stems from watching a team lose as much as we have over the last decade. But, everyone is always ready to trash everyone for the next big thing. The optimism around JP was huge. Why? He wasn't Bledsoe. I remember at the time, we would win 2-3 more games just because Bledsoe wasn't back there. Trent is great. Why? Because he isn't JP. I said it day one, my biggest worry over starting Trent 3 years ago was that it would set our team back 3 years. Well, here we are. Same with our new center. He's great. Why? Because he's not Fowler.

And I could go on for almost every roster spot for years. But, the fact of the matter is this: not all the Bills players are bad or need to be cut just because they don't make the highlight reel. No team has a probowler at every position. It may be difficult to spot the nuances of each player's play, but educated observers do. And just because there may have been better or good players drafted after the Bills selected someone, that doesn't mean the player can't become good. I was equally shocked and dismayed at the selection of Whitner; however, it's nice to see that he's become a good, solid player that's a leader on the team.

(This post is not entirely directed at you Bill, justs the first half)

This thread has definitely gone down a bad path. But you gotta admit, its kinda fun to read. It's almost like looking at monkeys in the zoo, you just can't believe some of the stupid crap they do (or say, in this case).

However, given the premise of the thread, I knew it was doomed from the first post. Seriously, there's no way you trade Whitner. I don't think anyone was glad we drafted him initially. To this day, I'd guess about 50% of the people here still wouldn't draft him. None the less, he has become a solid player that's a leader on the team. No, he's not one of the top 2 or 3 safeties in the league. But, by no means does that mean he should be traded either.

I would say that Whitner's biggest problem (for some people) is that too many people play fantasy football. All they know are certain stats that get them points. Whitner doesn't average a couple of interceptions a game, so they never see his name pop up on their FF sheets, ergo he must suck. Put Whitner on a team with a decent pass rush and decent HC; and watch his FF numbers improve.

The entire argument over Whitner s indicative of most Bills' fans short sightedness which probably stems from watching a team lose as much as we have over the last decade. But, everyone is always ready to trash everyone for the next big thing. The optimism around JP was huge. Why? He wasn't Bledsoe. I remember at the time, we would win 2-3 more games just because Bledsoe wasn't back there. Trent is great. Why? Because he isn't JP. I said it day one, my biggest worry over starting Trent 3 years ago was that it would set our team back 3 years. Well, here we are. Same with our new center. He's great. Why? Because he's not Fowler.

And I could go on for almost every roster spot for years. But, the fact of the matter is this: not all the Bills players are bad or need to be cut just because they don't make the highlight reel. No team has a probowler at every position. It may be difficult to spot the nuances of each player's play, but educated observers do. And just because there may have been better or good players drafted after the Bills selected someone, that doesn't mean the player can't become good. I was equally shocked and dismayed at the selection of Whitner; however, it's nice to see that he's become a good, solid player that's a leader on the team.

(This post is not entirely directed at you Bill, justs the first half)

Good post as usual. Your point is taken about Whitner being a good player, even though I am certainly in the "50%" that think he was a very bad selection.

A good head coach might consider trading him imo but certainly not Jauron, who is in a make or break year (or so one would think). An additional pick would offer the Bills a better chance for instance to grab a nose tackle, and convert to a good system of defense.

It appears that we could have had a first round pick in 2010 for this years second, but instead chose to select another small safety. That pick had Dumbo Jauron written all over it.

Whitner is not the reason why the Bills suck, but imo his presence is symptomatic of what is wrong with this team. The Bills need big, dominant players (ala Seymour and Wilfork), but the Levy/Jauron way of thinking is to grab little defensive backs with extremely early picks, only to play them 2 continents from scrimage.

Either way, I think that the thread was salvaged. :lol::o

The most vivid memories I have of Donte Whitner up to this point in his career are watching mediocre tight ends run right by him, or him draped on their back as they go up and catch the ball over the deep middle. I can honestly say I do not have a bias when it comes to Whitner. I was hoping he would step up his game last season. But lets face it, a #8 pick in the draft 4 years ago with 2 career interceptions, who makes no big plays is at this point a bust. Some might not agree but if I could compare him to one player it would be Coy Wire. Always just a half step late on all of his coverage but a decent tackler. Bryd can not possibly be less dynamic than Whitner.

My thought is that much of the league has not caught on to the fact that he stinks. (ESPN line of thinking, that most front offices use. "I've heard of him") So I say we let him go through training camp, hope a starting safety for another team gets injured, and try to get a 3rd round pick. Before everyone else realizes all he can do is tackle. Trade him this year or else all we will be able to get for him is a Losman jersey and a half eaten bag of Lays potatoe chips.

Its hard to really judge whitner as a player is only as good as the people around him. Where these mediocre tight ends running by him covered by him in the defensive scheme that was called making Donte (who is the last line of defense) tackle them in persuit which may have Whitner tackling from behind apperaing that he was beat in coverage. Two interceptions, how many picks would Ed and Troy have if there defensive front couldn't apply pressure, and since we cant apply presssure we must blitz to have a chance at the QB, where these mediocre tight ends exploiting a blitz. And our corners havent exactly been the best in the league. Is the defensive play calling having him help out a cornerback in coverage when all this big plays are happening when he is half a step late? Oh and I almost forgot we cant stop the run that well either which means he has to step up in the box to help the run leaving him backpeddling to gain ground to the deep middle. I agree he hasnt made the plays that we hoped for with the 8th overall pick but comparing him to coy wire- thats just wrong.

Wow, this thread is still going on? I'm not going to read through all seven pages of it to see whether anyone else has made what I consider to be the key point:

Why trade a guy when his value isn't at or near its peak? Answer: you don't; you trade a guy when you think his value is at its highest. You NEVER trade a guy because you think he sucks and is overpaid = chances are, the team you're trading with thinks the same thing, and would only offer you a pile of gabage in return. Right now, they'd be lucky to get a 3rd for Whitner - more likely a 4th in return. And you don't necessarily have a replacement on the roster. Whitner's salary isn't outrageous. So you're giving away a starter, who is young and *may* become a star, in exchange for a second day pick, and creating a hole in your roster for no reason. Among the many stupid things that the OP appears to have spewed in this thread, his initial premise is probably the dumbest. An argument can be made for drafting/signing Whitner's replacement, or for not re-signing him when his contract is up. But the trade idea is remarkably stupid.

Simply put, Whitner has been moved around far too much to get a true assessment of his ability. Hopefully everyone stays healthy this year and we can finally evaluate DW as a SS for a full year. Only then can we talk about his replacement, if need be.

Good post as usual. Your point is taken about Whitner being a good player, even though I am certainly in the "50%" that think he was a very bad selection.

A good head coach might consider trading him imo but certainly not Jauron, who is in a make or break year (or so one would think). An additional pick would offer the Bills a better chance for instance to grab a nose tackle, and convert to a good system of defense.

It appears that we could have had a first round pick in 2010 for this years second, but instead chose to select another small safety. That pick had Dumbo Jauron written all over it.

Whitner is not the reason why the Bills suck, but imo his presence is symptomatic of what is wrong with this team. The Bills need big, dominant players (ala Seymour and Wilfork), but the Levy/Jauron way of thinking is to grab little defensive backs with extremely early picks, only to play them 2 continents from scrimage.

Either way, I think that the thread was salvaged. :D:devil:

Thanks for the kind remarks.

I would agree on one point. Certainly, I think almost anyone should be considered for a trade, barring a franchise quarterback perhaps. However, if we trade Whitner for a high round pick and select a top flight nose tackle, aren't we just continuing the trend of trading one hole for anther. Why not keep Whitner, allowing him to solidify the safety position for years to come and select a high round NT next year as well?

Granted, this year not withstanding, we don't have a good track record for picking linemen. But, if I had input that'd be what I would lobby for. With Whitner, McGee, McKelvin, the secondary should be set for the time being. Now it should be time to concentrate on the line (then LB). But not if we continue cutting/trading the DBs.

Clearly, the fact that Whitner hasn't lived up to his 8th overall draft status has caused some people to become embittered with him. But it wasn't Whitner's fault that he was drafted too high. Now that he's a Bill, it probably makes more sense to keep him than to trade him. He's probably a better fit in this system than he'd be in almost any other. Unless our hypothetical trading partner was some other team running the Tampa-2, he wouldn't be as valuable to that other team as he is to us. Which, in turn, suggests that a mutually beneficial trade would be hard to arrange.

On an emotional level, there would be something satisfying about trading away Whitner. Depending on what the team got in return, it would be an acknowledgment that taking him so early was a mistake. But teams should not be run based on emotion.

Bill's idea of trading away Whitner as part of a strategy to re-allocate talent away from the secondary, and toward the lines, makes more sense. I'm not completely comfortable with the idea though; and part of me would prefer to keep the players we have (at least, those worth keeping) while using future early picks first and foremost on the lines. Once the lines have been sufficiently built up--a process which could take several years--the Bills could then use their early picks on other positions.

There is one thing we should NOT do however. We should not allow Whitner, or McGee, or any other young, talented player, to go first contract and out. Trading such players away is infinitely better than letting them walk, and getting nothing in return when they go. :devil:

And YOU should be thankful she doesn't just delete your drivel and do the board a big favor...

Ohhhhhhhh. Lurker you loser, stop sucking up. So if i don't agree with the masses (who by the way wouldn't dream of ever second guessing a 7-9 ,3 years running football team) I should be kicked off the board?

Another ridiculous post from a very uneducated football fan that has a post count <25

So a high post count means you are an educated fan?? By often adding to the inane prattle on this board makes your worthy to voice an opinion.

I think you swim in the shallow end of the gene pool.

Four reasons not to trade Whitner:

1.) He is one of the very few true leaders on this team and leadership is very important in football.

2.) You don't trade a player just because he may have been drafted too high.

3.) At this point he is good enough to start for this team so a trade would leave us with a less qualified replacement on the field.

4.) He doesn't even have a high salary that would be erased if he left.

Four reasons not to trade Whitner:

1.) He is one of the very few true leaders on this team and leadership is very important in football.

2.) You don't trade a player just because he may have been drafted too high.

3.) At this point he is good enough to start for this team so a trade would leave us with a less qualified replacement on the field.

4.) He doesn't even have a high salary that would be erased if he left.

Four reasons to trade Whitner otherwised known as Coy Wire.

1.) We don't need "leaders" guaranteeing the playoffs, and then in the season finale after we don't make the playoffs getting flattened by a career 3rd down running back. He got ran over like a waitress in the way of Rosie Odonnel and a Pizza Hut Buffet.

2.) Boy George could put up better stats and make more plays than Wire......I mean Whitner.

3.) He is 6th round talent that we feel obligated to start because we wasted a 1st rounder on.

4.) He gets tasered outside of nightclubs far to often.

1.) We don't need "leaders" guaranteeing the playoffs, and then in the season finale after we don't make the playoffs getting flattened by a career 3rd down running back. He got ran over like a waitress in the way of Rosie Odonnel and a Pizza Hut Buffet.

2.) Boy George could put up better stats and make more plays than Wire......I mean Whitner.

3.) He is 6th round talent that we feel obligated to start because we wasted a 1st rounder on.

Anyone gets beat on some plays. The knock on Whitner is that he doesn't make big plays but most think he does a decent job of tackling. Anyway the coaches didn't feel obligated to start McCargo even though he was drafted in the first round and they DID try to trade him last year. Also McKelvin didn't start last year and is not certain to start this year. And although I don't think DJ is the best HC and Perry is still learning as a DC, Jauron is a former DB and DB coach and Perry was a DB coach before he got this gig with the Bills. I may not always agree with the defenses they run but I think they know how to evaluate a DB and decide who should play, esp. with the systems they want to employ.

New Hampshirebills answer to my post:

A) 1.) We don't need "leaders" guaranteeing the playoffs, and then in the season finale after we don't make the playoffs getting flattened by a career 3rd down running back. He got ran over like a waitress in the way of Rosie Odonnel and a Pizza Hut Buffet.

His Reply:

B) "Anyone gets beat on some plays." - HAHAHAHAHA. Lori couldn't have put it any better herself. There it is in a nutshell.

That is not getting beat, that is getting embarrassed by a 31 year old 220 pound 3rd down running back!

A) The person who calls it like it happened=Me

B) The loser mentality shared by Dick Jauron and most of this board.

So Whitner for a third rounder... hmm.

I think Whitner has about a 90% chance of being a solid starter this year, 85% next, and maybe a 75% chance the following year (who knows with injuries etc.)

I'd say a third rounder in next year's draft has around a zero percent chance of being a solid starter this year, about a 10-20% chance next year, and a 25-45% the following year.

Heart Throb is certainly a a troll, so Bill, or anyone who actually does want to present an argument, you might disagree on the percentages a bit, but how would this trade make any sense? No one feeis like a better safety could certainly be drafted in the third round of next year's draft... do they?

Everyone can B word on this board on how we should not trade Whitner because we do not have anyone more talented than him at his position on the roster. And a lot of you say he is one of the few leaders on defense. But leaders are made and respected by what they do on the field. And Donte Whitner has definitely not lead with his PLAY on the field!! (And I do not think that getting run over on one play is grounds to trade someone.)

Two big problems with Whitner. 1) He is just too physically small to play Safety in the NFL. Consequently, he will get run over at times, and get injured a bunch.

2) He does not have a lot of talent for whatever reason. Not much of a burst, and his instincts in the passing game are marginal at best. Plays a lot more like a 6th rounder talent wise, than a 1st rounder. And I have watched every game he has played in.

One of the reasons that we have not been a top flight team as of late is because we have a lot of Donte Whitners starting-guys with minimal talent. (At least we have gotten rid of the many marginal O lineman we have had for years) Oh, and Jason Peters had some talent, but played like he was marginal, because he had no drive.

I am really curious to see what Jarious Byrd brings to the table with his game. Some guys just have the instincts to find the football and some guys don't.

Everyone can B word on this board on how we should not trade Whitner because we do not have anyone more talented than him at his position on the roster. And a lot of you say he is one of the few leaders on defense. But leaders are made and respected by what they do on the field. And Donte Whitner has definitely not lead with his PLAY on the field!! (And I do not think that getting run over on one play is grounds to trade someone.)

Two big problems with Whitner. 1) He is just too physically small to play Safety in the NFL. Consequently, he will get run over at times, and get injured a bunch.

2) He does not have a lot of talent for whatever reason. Not much of a burst, and his instincts in the passing game are marginal at best. Plays a lot more like a 6th rounder talent wise, than a 1st rounder. And I have watched every game he has played in.

One of the reasons that we have not been a top flight team as of late is because we have a lot of Donte Whitners starting-guys with minimal talent. (At least we have gotten rid of the many marginal O lineman we have had for years) Oh, and Jason Peters had some talent, but played like he was marginal, because he had no drive.

I am really curious to see what Jarious Byrd brings to the table with his game. Some guys just have the instincts to find the football and some guys don't.

Didn't you know? The TSW mob will label you as being "retarded", a troll, a moron, and a dumb fuc# for having this less than favorable opinion of golden boy Donte Whitner. If you dare believe this of their beloved Donte Whitner then you have no understanding of football, let alone the "nuances" of the game.

:unsure:

Didn't you know? The TSW mob will label you as being "retarded", a troll, a moron, and a dumb fuc# for having this less than favorable opinion of golden boy Donte Whitner. If you dare believe this of their beloved Donte Whitner then you have no understanding of football, let alone the "nuances" of the game.

No, we'll label you that way for the lack of any real evidence to support any of your claims and spending more time calling people names than trying to defend anything you've said with a rational thought or 2.

No, we'll label you that way for the lack of any real evidence to support any of your claims and spending more time calling people names than trying to defend anything you've said with a rational thought or 2.

Says a member of the TSW mob who's calling card is name calling with "shut up" and "get out of here you troll" being their two biggest debating points.

Two big problems with Whitner. 1) He is just too physically small to play Safety in the NFL. Consequently, he will get run over at times, and get injured a bunch. 2) He does not have a lot of talent for whatever reason. Not much of a burst, and his instincts in the passing game are marginal at best. Plays a lot more like a 6th rounder talent wise, than a 1st rounder. And I have watched every game he has played in.

Saying Whitner is too small to play safety is flat wrong. Your 2nd point may be true. I agree his production needs to increase with regards to pass coverage, knock downs and interceptions. We'll see in 2009 if that improves with the return of Schobel and the addition of Maybin.

I don't think Chad Johnson thinks Donte Whitner is too small.....

Here's a comparison of some elite safety's around the league per NFL.com:

Donte Whitner - 5'10" - 208

Ed Reed - 5'11" - 200

Troy Polamalu - 5'10" - 207

Adrian Wilson - 6'3" - 230

Kerry Rhodes - 6'3" - 220

Bob Sanders - 5'8" - 206

Wilson and Rhodes are huge, but the rest are right on par with Donte.

Says a member of the TSW mob who's calling card is name calling with "shut up" and "get out of here you troll" being their two biggest debating points.

I'd love to see where at anytime I've said either of those.

Saying Whitner is too small to play safety is flat wrong. Your 2nd point may be true. I agree his production needs to increase with regards to pass coverage, knock downs and interceptions. We'll see in 2009 if that improves with the return of Schobel and the addition of Maybin.

I don't think Chad Johnson thinks Donte Whitner is too small.....

Here's a comparison of some elite safety's around the league per NFL.com:

Donte Whitner - 5'10" - 208

Ed Reed - 5'11" - 200

Troy Polamalu - 5'10" - 207

Adrian Wilson - 6'3" - 230

Kerry Rhodes - 6'3" - 220

Bob Sanders - 5'8" - 206

Wilson and Rhodes are huge, but the rest are right on par with Donte.

The hit on Ochosinco was sweet. But I want to see a whole lot more of that. Looking at Whitner compared to Troy P. and Ed Reed, he just looks a lot shorter. But that is just my observation.

You were supporting the mob and the TSW mob was who that comment was in referral to. Wasn't meant for you specifically.

Mob? Do you think there are meetings that you aren't invited to? Do you think we contact each other via PM or email to discuss how to handle your ongoing nonsense?

Have you noticed how your posts get attacked by a number of TSW posters with diverse opinions, who often argue among themselves?

Instead of blaming the illusionary "mob", maybe it's a good idea to look inward, from time to time.

Don't forget, this weeks meeting will be held at 2, so we can allow more time for people to enjoy the long weekend

All glory to the TSW Mob!

The hit on Ochosinco was sweet. But I want to see a whole lot more of that. Looking at Whitner compared to Troy P. and Ed Reed, he just looks a lot shorter. But that is just my observation.

When have you ever seen them stand next to each other?

The arguments against Whitner are laughable and at this point more of the "if we repeat it often enough, eventually it'll be true" mentality. The BILLS have ton of problems on the defensive side of the football and have for years. Whitner isn't one of them and hasn't been.

Mob? Do you think there are meetings that you aren't invited to? Do you think we contact each other via PM or email to discuss how to handle your ongoing nonsense?

Have you noticed how your posts get attacked by a number of TSW posters with diverse opinions, who often argue among themselves?

Instead of blaming the illusionary "mob", maybe it's a good idea to look inward, from time to time.

Wow, you are losing it Dean. I just think the habitual name callers here are a bunch of guys with self-esteem issues.

Wow, you are losing it Dean. I just think the habitual name callers here are a bunch of guys with self-esteem issues.

Hey pot, its kettle....you're black

sorry couldn't resist since I'm part of the mob

Hey pot, its kettle....you're black

sorry couldn't resist since I'm part of the mob

I rarely attack someone personally here. Use sacrasm? Hell yes. Personal attacks? Try not to go there. But I did fall off the wagon and I do apologize for the "jock sniffer" comment earlier in the thread. But there's no doubt that there's a mob type mentality here where if the majority doesn't agree with you, then you're from mars and it's free-for-all pile up on the poster time. Even the few times that I did agree with these guys I never felt the urge to, as part of a group, make fun of someone personally by calling them names. There's nothing more stupid than thinking your sh__ is better than the other guy's sh__ to the point of putting them down with a personal attack on a message board. Can't you be more creative than that and knock down the opinion and not the poster? This place just keeps getting nastier and nastier. We're all Bills fans. Shouldn't we all try to at least have a minimal amount of respect for one another?

When have you ever seen them stand next to each other?

The arguments against Whitner are laughable and at this point more of the "if we repeat it often enough, eventually it'll be true" mentality. The BILLS have ton of problems on the defensive side of the football and have for years. Whitner isn't one of them and hasn't been.

Yea Whitner is just a stud, I forgot. My point is he is small, and plays small. Watch him try and cover any tight end who is over six feet tall. Sure Whitner doesn't suck, but he sure doesn't have the athletic ability or the football instincts that you would expect from a first round pick, let alone a high first round pick.

Whitner hasn't been a big problem, but he sure hasn't been the solution.

Yea Whitner is just a stud, I forgot. My point is he is small, and plays small. Watch him try and cover any tight end who is over six feet tall. Sure Whitner doesn't suck, but he sure doesn't have the athletic ability or the football instincts that you would expect from a first round pick, let alone a high first round pick.

Whitner hasn't been a big problem, but he sure hasn't been the solution.

I'd have to go back and look at film but I don't remember Whitner being in coverage on Tight Ends very often. As far as "playing small", the guy played at least half of last season with one arm virtually dislocated from the shoulder socket. I'm gonna go ahead and forgive him for that.

As far as his athletic ability and football instincts go: I'm quite sure there would be a whole bunch of teams with much better defenses than ours who would love to have Donte Whitner and would actually put him in a position to succeed, instead of using him to cover weaknesses in the Front Seven - which the BILLS have been doing for 3 seasons now.

But go ahead and keep regurgitating the standard talk radio garbage. We both know what you know. If Troy Polamalu played in Buffalo everyone would be whining that he's always out of position and needs to cut his hair.