If we all like the same Football and hockey team why cant we like the

I was listening to Wgr today Mike Schoop and the Bulldog and he suprised me with a remark saying " Most people in Buffalo perfer the Red Sox to be there baseball team". I was very shocked he never metioned the Toronto Blue Jays.. But shouldn't be like that in retrospect. Shouldn't we like the Blue Jays because there the closest team to Buffalo. I never go the fact why people in the Buffalo area where mets,yankees,sox's, and indians fans when we have a team 90 miles from buffalo. So I was thinking unless you have a direct tie to one of those club's cities why are you a fan of theres and not the jays

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

From my WNY experience, I never met a Red Sox fan. When I was growing up there ('60's), Yankee games were on every day on the only radio available -a.m. Whitey, Billy, Roger, Mickey. I'm a Yankee fan for life. My nephews in WNY favor the Blue Jays.

Just my 2 cents.

The Blue Jays are an expansion team, in comparison to the Yankees and Red Sox. I think the Mets thing is partly due to the influence of NY'ers coming to Buffalo for college. The Jays came along later, when most already had their (and their fathers' allegiance) entrenched. I am not a big baseball fan, at all...whatever interest I had in it, dissipated in the early 1990's, when I moved to Texas. Partly because I never really got as infatuated with the game as the other 3 major sports, mostly because it can be very dull and the season is too long. I also don't care for the sanctimonious stance that "serious baseball" people take in regards to other (better) sports.

Also, you must remember, in addition to the relative youth of the Blue Jays, there was a time when no self respecting Buffalonian would embrace anything Canadian, other than their ballet.

Been a huge Bluejays fan my whole life.

And by the way, calling the Bluejays the "Jays" is as bad as calling the Sabres the "Sabs".

They're the Fu##$$ing BLUEJAYS!

Oh, for Christ's sakes, chill out. People call the Red Sox "The Sox", the Yankees "The Yanks", the Pirates "The Rats".

How big of a stiff are you, exactly?

Many in WNY rooted for the Indians as THEY were the closest team to Buffalo for many years, and all their games were on the radio (at least in Niagara Falls).

I like the Red Sox for many reasons, Yankee hate (due primarily to their obnoxious fans) being the biggest reason. I like the Pirates as my Mom is from Pittsburgh and I used to go to Forbes Field as a kid. Plus, they had a colorfull collection of players, way back when.

While the Jays may be the closest team to WNY, they were an expansion team, so most people already had a favorite team (or their father, mother, brother already had one). Plus the Jays are as bland as a team can be, really. Hard to get excited about them, IMO.

I also imagine some in Buffalo wouldn't root for them, as Toronto is the home of the Leafs, a team many in WNY despise. I actually grew up rooting for the Leafs, and there was no team in Buffalo. I no longer root for any Toronto team.

I like the Red Sox for many reasons, Yankee hate (due primarily to their obnoxious fans) being the biggest reason. I like the Pirates as my Mom is from Pittsburgh and I used to go to Forbes Field as a kid. Plus, they had a colorfull collection of players, way back when.

Red Sox fans are way more obnoxious than Yankees fans. It's a known fact.

Red Sox fans are way more obnoxious than Yankees fans. It's a known fact.

Now that they have won a couple of World Series, you may be right. I think it's just the bandwagon Pats* fans giving the Sox a bad name. But for years, when they would collapse when it counted, Sox fans were downright self-deprecating. OTOH, Yankee fans have ALWAYS been obnoxious douchebags.

Now that they have won a couple of World Series, you may be right. I think it's just the bandwagon Pats* fans giving the Sox a bad name. But for years, when they would collapse when it counted, Sox fans were downright self-deprecating. OTOH, Yankee fans have ALWAYS been obnoxious douchebags.

What the hell is wrong with being an obnoxious douchebag?

Red Sox fans act that by being a Red Sox fan they have some sort of superior baseball knowledge. They obnoxiously go to games involving other teams with the Red Sox hats on while periodically mocking the other fans.

Oh, for Christ's sakes, chill out. People call the Red Sox "The Sox", the Yankees "The Yanks", the Pirates "The Rats".

How big of a stiff are you, exactly?

Many in WNY rooted for the Indians as THEY were the closest team to Buffalo for many years, and all their games were on the radio (at least in Niagara Falls).

While the Jays may be the closest team to WNY, they were an expansion team, so most people already had a favorite team (or their father, mother, brother already had one). Plus the Jays are as bland as a team can be, really. Hard to get excited about them, IMO.

I also imagine some in Buffalo wouldn't root for them, as Toronto is the home of the Leafs, a team many in WNY despise. I actually grew up rooting for the Leafs, and there was no team in Buffalo. I no longer root for any Toronto team.

The rats?? that's new to me, I thought there nickname was always the bucs... <_<

The myth of how great Red Sox fans are is overblown. They act like they suffered so long without a title and supported the team now matter what. But here's the deal: The Sox are almost always contenders. They spend more money than anyone except the Yankees. They win their division or make the playoffs almost every year.

I'd like to see how full Fenway Park would be if the Sox actually sucked a couple of seasons. If they ever had a last-place finish that stadium would be as empty as the Marlins of Nats. Don't believe it? Look at the Celtics. How many NBA titles did they win? Yet the Garden has half-full for games until they won another title. Now everyone is back on the Celtics bandwagon. Boston is the biggest frontrunner town in sports.

PTR