If we all like the same Football and hockey team why cant we like the

The rats?? that's new to me, I thought there nickname was always the bucs... <_<

Bucs for Buccaneers, yes that is the more common nickname. But some of us call them "The Rats".

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Now that they have won a couple of World Series, you may be right. I think it's just the bandwagon Pats* fans giving the Sox a bad name. But for years, when they would collapse when it counted, Sox fans were downright self-deprecating. OTOH, Yankee fans have ALWAYS been obnoxious douchebags.

I wouldn't consider Yankees fans ALWAYS being obnoxious douchebags. I was born in '79 and grew up rooting for Yankees teams that fielded players like Alvaro Espinoza, Kevin Maas, Steve Balboni, Ken Phelps, Pat Kelly, Claudell Washington, Roberto Kelly, Matt Nokes, Dan Pasqua, Andy Hawkins, and Tim Leary (the guy who swallowed an emory board that was hidden in his mitt while being approached by an umpire). They were AWFUL. I didn't have any grounds to be an obnoxious douchebag.

While I know that the Yanks have become a team throws $$$ around (I prefer to build from within much like the Minnesota Twins) the core of their teams that won the World Series titles from 1996-2000 was built primarily by guys that they brought up from within the organization (Jeter, Posada, Rivera, Pettitte). Now, the Yankees get criticized every time they throw big bucks at a FA, which has done nothing but prove that just because you spend $$$ in FA, it doesn't necessarily equate into success.

The myth of how great Red Sox fans are is overblown. They act like they suffered so long without a title and supported the team now matter what. But here's the deal: The Sox are almost always contenders. They spend more money than anyone except the Yankees. They win their division or make the playoffs almost every year.

I'd like to see how full Fenway Park would be if the Sox actually sucked a couple of seasons. If they ever had a last-place finish that stadium would be as empty as the Marlins of Nats. Don't believe it? Look at the Celtics. How many NBA titles did they win? Yet the Garden has half-full for games until they won another title. Now everyone is back on the Celtics bandwagon. Boston is the biggest frontrunner town in sports.

PTR

Red Sox fans, for the most part, have not been bandwagon fans. I admit there are probably many bandwagon fans since they have started winning WS. But looking back as far as 1967, the Sox (even with one of the smallest parks in the league) have outdrawn the average MLB team almost every year, even in years where they have stunk.

If you have ever lived in Boston, you would know that the city's mood changes with the Red Sox fortunes. The fans are closer to this team, than any other...and that includes the Celtics and the Bruins.

No way, and its not even close. I'm not a fan of either, but Yankee fans are way more annoying.

Wow. Another person not from NY or Boston that likes the Red Sox over the Yankees, what a surprise. You're not one of those college-aged kids with an Abercrombie shirt, a popped collar, scruffy hair and a Red Sox hat and has never even been to Boston, are you? I'll tell you what, go to a game at Fenway and then go to a game in NY and then tell me that Yankees fans are more annoying.

Wow. Another person not from NY or Boston that likes the Red Sox over the Yankees, what a surprise. You're not one of those college-aged kids with an Abercrombie shirt, a popped collar, scruffy hair and a Red Sox hat and has never even been to Boston, are you? I'll tell you what, go to a game at Fenway and then go to a game in NY and then tell me that Yankees fans are more annoying.

I've been to both, many times (not the new Yankee Stadium, though). Pretty close call, at the games themselves.

Yankee fans are annoying in a bar, at a restaurant, walking down the street, shopping in a store, etc.

I've been to both, many times (not the new Yankee Stadium, though). Pretty close call, at the games themselves.

Yankee fans are annoying in a bar, at a restaurant, walking down the street, shopping in a store, etc.

Fair enough. But go to any towny bar about 45 mts. outside of Boston and listen to people talk with that stupid accent all night and let me know how long before you want to blow your brains out. People in Mass are incredibly abrasive if you're not from there, while I find people from/in NY to be fairly welcoming.

Fair enough. But go to any towny bar about 45 mts. outside of Boston and listen to people talk with that stupid accent all night and let me know how long before you want to blow your brains out. People in Mass are incredibly abrasive if you're not from there, while I find people from/in NY to be fairly welcoming.

You are 100% correct, IMO.

Wow dude.. are you from New York are from New York city.. If your not from the city then I would shut up dude..

I live in a city, Los Angeles, that is loaded with transplants from both NYC and Boston. Trust me, the Boston fans are the biggest scumbags I've ever met. Not just Sox fans, but pretty much fans of any Boston team. (Probably why when Brady went down in week 1, all the Bills fans gave the Boston section a standing ovation.)

Sorry to interrupt the Yankees-Red Sox debate.

Buffalo is a weird place to grow up a baseball fan (kind of like being an NFL fan in Erie, Pa). We have a long standing Empire State and broadcasting connection to the Yankees. They also happen to be probably the most famous sports franchise in the world. The Red Sox hold some sway also. Their recent success has some to do with that. Also, I know fans of Boston teams in other sports (Celtics and Bruins, fortunately not too many Cheatriots* fans) so by association to those teams there are Sox fans in Bflo. On top of that we watched the Jays grow from an expansion franchise into a team with a solid history. I cheered for the Jays at one time. We also have teams very close by in Cleveland and, yes, Pittsburgh. Both of those teams have been the major league affiliates for our own Bisons.

So there's no less than five teams that can stake a claim to Western New York. I live in the bay area now and have the Giants and A's to watch regularly but I can't say that I have a favorite MLB team. I love the sport itself though.

Bucs for Buccaneers, yes that is the more common nickname. But some of us call them "The Rats".

I swear I've never heard that, and I'm an Astros fan, so I watch a lot of their broadcasts on the MLB ticket. I've always heard them refer to their team as the Bucs. Even the crowd chants are "lets go Bucs!" Learn something new everyday! <_<

Living in Florida, I come across MANY Sox and Yanks fans. I myself grew up a Yanks fan even while living in Buffalo. Since being in Florida, and now being an Astros fan (don't ask) I can honestly say that my experience has been fairly good with both team's fans. Not that I've met EVERY SINGLE fan of both teams as apparently some here have, but the ones I've met and interacted with have been very knowledgeable of their respective teams as well as MLB as a whole.

I've also been to both parks (old Yanks stadium, not the new one) and thought the experience was great for both parks. I even sat next to a Sox fan when I went to Yankee Stadium (they were playing the Sox) back in '88 I believe. I was 9 yrs. old, and the guy bet me and my friend 50 cents each that the Sox would win. Nice guy, but he was a dollar less after the game!

I will chime in on the Red Sox fans vs Yankees fans debate:

If you listen to a lot of sports talk radio (which I do, and have for many years), I don't think it is any secret that Boston fans, Red Sox fans in particular, are the most annoying callers of all. Perhaps their rich tradition makes Yankees fans a little more smug, or assuming, but for decades, before winning a championship, Red Sox fans were whinny, suffering from an inferiority complex, and as schizophrenic as any sports fans could be. Once they finally got the monkey off their back, they became overbearing, boorish, arrogant, and unbearable...not unlike Pats fans...

Yankees fans are much cooler over all... now, I am a proud Celtics fan, but I loathe all other Boston teams. But, Boston Celtics and Bruins fans are, like the Yankees fans in baseball, a much more knowledgeable lot than their baseball and football brethren...also, my ex's family were a bunch of New England area blue bloods, and spending a lot of time in the area (though not in Boston directly) I can say, there are not a more miserable bunch of people any where...and I grew up in Buffalo, so I don't make that claim without a measuring stick... think of Yankees fans like Barry Sanders...they just hand the football to the ref, when they score a touchdown...think of Red Sox fans like Deon "Primetime" Sanders (or TO if you will)....it is that kind of a difference...

Yankees fans > Red Sox "nation"

I was listening to Wgr today Mike Schoop and the Bulldog and he suprised me with a remark saying " Most people in Buffalo perfer the Red Sox to be there baseball team". I was very shocked he never metioned the Toronto Blue Jays.. But shouldn't be like that in retrospect. Shouldn't we like the Blue Jays because there the closest team to Buffalo. I never go the fact why people in the Buffalo area where mets,yankees,sox's, and indians fans when we have a team 90 miles from buffalo. So I was thinking unless you have a direct tie to one of those club's cities why are you a fan of theres and not the jays

Fans are the same for the most part, at least when you have a city passionate about their team. If a team is a fortunate enough to win consistently it is going to become a media darling. This brings out an immediate negative reaction for every other fanbase. In addition to this a whole new legion of obnoxious bandwagoners emerge to embarass longtime fans. Like the guy who is wearing a Yankees hat and yells Jeter sucks in your face, while his vodka redbull breathe knocks you over. The Red Sox have fallen into this category over the last decade, as have the Pats. The Yankees have always had this problem but that's the price of being the winningest sports franchise ever. A team like the Lakers wins all the time but for the most part their fans aren't diehards. They like to riot though. How obnoxious would Bills fans be if the team had a dynasty? <_<

As a fan of the Yankees in the 80's and 90's, I'd like to say WTF Mel Hall. What a scumbag! :worthy:

I was listening to Wgr today Mike Schoop and the Bulldog and he suprised me with a remark saying " Most people in Buffalo perfer the Red Sox to be there baseball team". I was very shocked he never metioned the Toronto Blue Jays.. But shouldn't be like that in retrospect. Shouldn't we like the Blue Jays because there the closest team to Buffalo. I never go the fact why people in the Buffalo area where mets,yankees,sox's, and indians fans when we have a team 90 miles from buffalo. So I was thinking unless you have a direct tie to one of those club's cities why are you a fan of theres and not the jays

Sorry,

I went to school in Ohio for a few years, was there for the 95 series and identified with them closely b/c of their 13 year tie with the Bisons.

Wow dude.. are you from New York are from New York city.. If your not from the city then I would shut up dude..

Why would I have to be from NY or Boston to give a take on the fans? I have known and even lived with fans of both teams, been to both stadiums and spent a good amount of time in Boston and NY. I know the deal. Red Sox fans will have you believe that you'll never truly understand what it's like to be a fan of a sports team unless you're a Red Sox fan. Oh you're a Bills fan? You might like them, but you could never understand the passion that Red Sox fans have. That being said, I went to Rockies-Red Sox in '07, it was a random Wednesday night game against a no-name opponent at the time (although they ended up meeting in the WS that year), and before the game, you would've thought the Super Bowl was about to go down inside that stadium.