Things you hate in a football broadcast.

What are some of the things you hate during the broadcast of a football game. I am approaching this more from a visual angle rather than what commentators you hate to listen to.

The biggest thing that bothers me is shots of the crowd. I DON'T CARE WHAT SOME FAN THOUGHT OF THE PLAY HERE IS A CLUE JUST SHOW ME THE REPLAY OF THAT PLAY. What really pisses me off is that its not like they show the replay than the crowd they show the crowd and sometimes never bother to get to the play until like 5 minutes later.

Another thing I have is when they cut to the shot of the head coach when he is not even doing anything. If the coach or a coordinator is yelling at player show that but I don't want to see a 54 year old man looking stoic on the sideline for no reason once again instead of showing the replay.

Also ESPN having the down and distance on the field it really annoys me because during the play I can't see what down it is. No other network does that why because its a stupid idea.

I know they don't always get the replay ready right away but still show me a shot of the huddle rather than some d-bag in the crowd or the coach looking into the air. Its happens way too much for it to be filler. Some moron corporate executive at one of the major networks has a wife that loves crowd shots during the game so thats why they keep showing them, than the other networks follow because they don't want to be the network without the shot of some kid looking upset about a play.

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What are some of the things you hate during the broadcast of a football game. I am approaching this more from a visual angle rather than what commentators you hate to listen to.

The biggest thing that bothers me is shots of the crowd. I DON'T CARE WHAT SOME FAN THOUGHT OF THE PLAY HERE IS A CLUE JUST SHOW ME THE REPLAY OF THAT PLAY. What really pisses me off is that its not like they show the replay than the crowd they show the crowd and sometimes never bother to get to the play until like 5 minutes later.

Another thing I have is when they cut to the shot of the head coach when he is not even doing anything. If the coach or a coordinator is yelling at player show that but I don't want to see a 54 year old man looking stoic on the sideline for no reason once again instead of showing the replay.

Also ESPN having the down and distance on the field it really annoys me because during the play I can't see what down it is. No other network does that why because its a stupid idea.

I know they don't always get the replay ready right away but still show me a shot of the huddle rather than some d-bag in the crowd or the coach looking into the air. Its happens way too much for it to be filler. Some moron corporate executive at one of the major networks has a wife that loves crowd shots during the game so thats why they keep showing them, than the other networks follow because they don't want to be the network without the shot of some kid looking upset about a play.

favretalk..thats what i hate

I simply would love to see them allow folks to avoid a lot of stuff that I dislike (its just entertainment so hate is too strong a word for my reactions to any NFL coverage lunacy) by seeing them adopt a technology upated version of the game broadcast in the 70s which they ran without announcers.

It was a primitive attempt but pretty far from unwatchable IMHO, With the use of modern graphic techniques and particularly some on demand statistical information, a broadcast of a game with use of ambient sound and a constant clock and a simple summary of down and distance on each play would be near perfect to me.

If one must, then simply have a football analyst insert themselves one a quarter to summarize hard to understand ref calls and other game situations would be fine. I would think with HDTV and the ability of a viewer to choose the feed with a Madden blather or instead choose a statistics enhanced graphics version of the game would be a wonderful option.

I hate when it is a low-scoring game, or not much offense, and the announcer will say "its a defensive struggle."

What about the defenses are struggling? It isn't a defensive struggle, it's an offensive struggle.

I simply would love to see them allow folks to avoid a lot of stuff that I dislike (its just entertainment so hate is too strong a word for my reactions to any NFL coverage lunacy) by seeing them adopt a technology upated version of the game broadcast in the 70s which they ran without announcers.

It was a primitive attempt but pretty far from unwatchable IMHO, With the use of modern graphic techniques and particularly some on demand statistical information, a broadcast of a game with use of ambient sound and a constant clock and a simple summary of down and distance on each play would be near perfect to me.

If one must, then simply have a football analyst insert themselves one a quarter to summarize hard to understand ref calls and other game situations would be fine. I would think with HDTV and the ability of a viewer to choose the feed with a Madden blather or instead choose a statistics enhanced graphics version of the game would be a wonderful option.

So you want to get rid of play by play and just have color commentary at the half and end of each quarter. Not a bad idea I also like the 2 feeds idea

I simply HATE the expression "Untracked". As in "This offense has to get untracked in the third quarter if the [NFL team] has any hope of getting back into this thing."

Let's break this expression down. It is a misnomer of "On Track", relating to railway technology. Trains run on rails, and sometimes come off the rails (quite tragically in D.C. Hope you and yours are okay, DC Tom). When trains run off the rails, they don't move very fast for very long. Newton's First Law of Motion is inviolable, particularly when it comes to trains on rails. It's therefore a good thing when trains are "On Track".

To be "Untracked" is to be "Derailed". This is the more commonly and more appropriately used form of the expression. As in "Oh crap, I'm not on the tracks anymore. I'm 'un-tracked', but more correctly, I'm 'Derailed', and my hair is on fire, along with half of this city block. What ever should I do?" Ever been around a derailment? I have. If you ever see one of those schit storms, you'll never, never, never call it an "Untrackment". It's a "Derailment". And you'll probably run away as fast as your legs will take you.

Therefore, to say something like "This defense is really untracked in the second quarter. They've sacked [QB, preferably Brady] 3 times already" is so inane as to be goddamn stupid. It isn't "Untracked". "Untracked" is an idiot announcer's way of saying "On Track", meaning it's actually moving in the direction it's supposed to move.

And some mouthbreathing nosepicker does this every goddamn year. Bunch of inbred goobers. Jesus, now I'm all pissed off again.

I simply HATE the expression "Untracked". As in "This offense has to get untracked in the third quarter if the [NFL team] has any hope of getting back into this thing."

Let's break this expression down. It is a misnomer of "On Track", relating to railway technology. Trains run on rails, and sometimes come off the rails (quite tragically in D.C. Hope you and yours are okay, DC Tom). When trains run off the rails, they don't move very fast for very long. Newton's First Law of Motion is inviolable, particularly when it comes to trains on rails. It's therefore a good thing when trains are "On Track".

To be "Untracked" is to be "Derailed". This is the more commonly and more appropriately used form of the expression. As in "Oh crap, I'm not on the tracks anymore. I'm 'un-tracked', but more correctly, I'm 'Derailed', and my hair is on fire, along with half of this city block. What ever should I do?" Ever been around a derailment? I have. If you ever see one of those schit storms, you'll never, never, never call it an "Untrackment". It's a "Derailment". And you'll probably run away as fast as your legs will take you.

Therefore, to say something like "This defense is really untracked in the second quarter. They've sacked [QB, preferably Brady] 3 times already" is so inane as to be goddamn stupid. It isn't "Untracked". "Untracked" is an idiot announcer's way of saying "On Track", meaning it's actually moving in the direction it's supposed to move.

And some mouthbreathing nosepicker does this every goddamn year. Bunch of inbred goobers. Jesus, now I'm all pissed off again.

I'd love to hear your thoughts on the expression, "In order to win we're gonna have to give it 150%"

I very much dislike the constant discussion of the Cowboys, Favre or Brady/Pats* when the Cowboys, Favre or Brady/Pats* aren't playing. I'd prefer the announcers just stick to the game at hand. Ya know the one that we're all actually watching. Not some other game last week or last year. I swear sometimes they make up stats just as an excuse to put a Favre graphic/clip on the screen.

Chris Collinsworth(less), Solomon Wilcotts, Randy Cross, Phil Simms, John Madden to name a few

I like Phil Simms. I like the fact that Simms isn't a TFAG (Typical Football Analyst Guy) he talks in specifics and doesn't just spit out a bunch of cliches that can be almost said about every game. Simms breaks things down into the way a coach approaches a QB or the weapons around them. He talks about what a team is going to do better form a pocket or spread out a defense.

I think Simms is one of the better commentators out there. He isn't the best but he is better than most of the former player commentators out there. I agree that the other guys you mentioned do suck although Madden use to be good like 10 years ago before he lost his mind.

I very much dislike the constant discussion of the Cowboys, Favre or Brady/Pats* when the Cowboys, Favre or Brady/Pats* aren't playing. I'd prefer the announcers just stick to the game at hand. Ya know the one that we're all actually watching. Not some other game last week or last year. I swear sometimes they make up stats just as an excuse to put a Favre graphic/clip on the screen.

Let's just get down to brass tacks, shall we? The Monday Night Football opener is going to be "Announcer Hell" for Bills fans. I have a mental picture of a national sports media on their collective knees beating their collective "beagle puppies" like said "beagle puppies" owe them money over the return of Tom Brady*. (By the way, I apologize to TBD for not having assigned the appropriate asterisk suffix to the name of the antichrist in my prior post.)

Get used to it, okay? It doesn't matter whether Brady* goes 11-31 with 0 touchdowns and 3 interceptions. The booth announcers, the sideline announcers and the major/mediocre/minor sports media is going to be heaving a collective "O-face" simply because Tommy-Boy* is back out there in tights. Any success by the Bills D-line or Secondary will be glad-handed and glossed over in favor of an excuse as to why The Prince* is "a little rusty, but still showing signs of 'The Old Brady*'".

These are going to be 3 of the longest hours you as a Bills fan will have ever experienced:

Your wildest dream will be a good-ol'-woofie-style-rogering by your beloved Bills of the Cheatriots, with His Excellency* being carted out for a career-ending injury.

Your hoped-for-outcome will be a solid victory in which you don't have to sweat off 4 beers in the fourth quarter.

Your hope-against-hope is that the Bills squeak it out in an honorable fashion.

Your expectation is that the Bills get B word-slapped like a bunch of teenage crack whores in front of a national audience.

Your worst fear is that His Most Godliness* - Not Bruschi of walk-on-water-fame, but the true Lord-of-End-Of-Days - has a career evening, and is met on the sideline by his wife, tube in hand.

And the announcing crews around the country will have a cigarette and head home.

Get ready for it. I'm going to watch the fuggin' game on "Mute" with some good tunes on the stereo.

"The Water Song" - Hot Tuna

The only thing that really, really, really annoys me, is all the friggin' commercials they have added over the last 10 years. I like the shots of the coaches, the shots of the crowd, the cheerleaders, etc etc..it is giving you the flavor of what is going on at the stadium. Now, there are so many commercials, there is not as much time for that stuff, and there are far fewer replays than there used to be.

The only other thing that really annoys me, on primtime games, when they have a guest in the booth, and completely ignore the action on the field, as someone is promoting their newest, lame, network sitcom...

I have taken to transferring my old Bills VHS game tapes on to disc, over the last 2 years or so. In order to get the best quality picuture, on some, I would edit out the commercials. I can tell you, if you compare a game from just 1990, to a game now, the amount of time spent on actually broadcasting from the stadium, for a typical NFL game, has dropped by about 20 minutes. In other words, without commercials, a Bills/Raiders game from 1990 was about 2:58 minutes...that same game today, would be about 2:38...meaning that there are about 18-20 minutes more in commercials. The time that analysts used to spend analyzing games, is now filled with beer and car commercials....

Announcers can be annoying, but they aired a game in the late 1980's, IIRC, without announcers, and only graphics, and, it was pretty fuggin dull...

Let's just get down to brass tacks, shall we? The Monday Night Football opener is going to be "Announcer Hell" for Bills fans. I have a mental picture of a national sports media on their collective knees beating their collective "beagle puppies" like said "beagle puppies" owe them money over the return of Tom Brady*. (By the way, I apologize to TBD for not having assigned the appropriate asterisk suffix to the name of the antichrist in my prior post.)

Get used to it, okay? It doesn't matter whether Brady* goes 11-31 with 0 touchdowns and 3 interceptions. The booth announcers, the sideline announcers and the major/mediocre/minor sports media is going to be heaving a collective "O-face" simply because Tommy-Boy* is back out there in tights. Any success by the Bills D-line or Secondary will be glad-handed and glossed over in favor of an excuse as to why The Prince* is "a little rusty, but still showing signs of 'The Old Brady*'".

These are going to be 3 of the longest hours you as a Bills fan will have ever experienced:

Your wildest dream will be a good-ol'-woofie-style-rogering by your beloved Bills of the Cheatriots, with His Excellency* being carted out for a career-ending injury.

Your hoped-for-outcome will be a solid victory in which you don't have to sweat off 4 beers in the fourth quarter.

Your hope-against-hope is that the Bills squeak it out in an honorable fashion.

Your expectation is that the Bills get B word-slapped like a bunch of teenage crack whores in front of a national audience.

Your worst fear is that His Most Godliness* - Not Bruschi of walk-on-water-fame, but the true Lord-of-End-Of-Days - has a career evening, and is met on the sideline by his wife, tube in hand.

And the announcing crews around the country will have a cigarette and head home.

Get ready for it. I'm going to watch the fuggin' game on "Mute" with some good tunes on the stereo.

"The Water Song" - Hot Tuna

You, sir, are very correct. However, you're completely forgetting all the Dallas and TO hype talk. I fully expect half the TO highlights will split to Romo throwing the ball to TO. There will be half a dozen segways into TO and Romo's "feud".

I also fully expect it'll be at least mid 2nd quarter before they actually acknowledge in some fashion that the Bills are playing the game. Because, as you say, any play good or bad that our defense makes will be discussed and replayed from Brady's perspective. Any play on offense will be followed by TOs reaction and a clip to how he reacted in Dallas. By mid 2nd quarter, I'll openly wonder why aren't the Bills playing this week.

They have TO and Brady in one game, all they'll have to do is work in Favre - which I'm certain they'll do - and they'll have all they need for a great night of completely unrelated football talk.