The successor to Terrell Owens in Dallas...

Confirming past criticism of wideout Roy Williams, Peter King of Sports Illustrated reports:

1. "I think the most amazing thing I've heard in the past month, and I've confirmed it with someone close to Roy Williams, is that the Dallas receiver was never on a consistent weightlifting program in his life before this off-season, when he got after it at Valley Ranch. "I'm serious,'' this acquaintance of Williams told me. "Roy never lifted before. Now that he has, and now that he's serious about making himself a great football player, especially with T.O. gone, I think he's really going to have a good year.''

If nothing else, TO is nearly legendary in his commitment to working out. It will be very interesting to see what kind of season Williams, Owens, and Romo have this year.

Confirming past criticism of wideout Roy Williams, Peter King of Sports Illustrated reports:

1. "I think the most amazing thing I've heard in the past month, and I've confirmed it with someone close to Roy Williams, is that the Dallas receiver was never on a consistent weightlifting program in his life before this off-season, when he got after it at Valley Ranch. "I'm serious,'' this acquaintance of Williams told me. "Roy never lifted before. Now that he has, and now that he's serious about making himself a great football player, especially with T.O. gone, I think he's really going to have a good year.''

If nothing else, TO is nearly legendary in his commitment to working out. It will be very interesting to see what kind of season Williams, Owens, and Romo have this year.

That's why Detroit loses so much. They can't even motivate a guy to train consistently??!! I can't believe he wouldn't do it on his own with a personal trainer, if Detroit wouldn't provide a trainer. :thumbsup:

I trust Peter King so I'll believe it. It just seems so odd. If anyone else, other than Timmy, reported it I'd write it off as complete BS!

i find it very hard to believe that he played D-1 ball and has never lifted weights.

i think maybe what they mean is that he has never been on a serious lifting routine since he has been in the NFL. if that is true, then Detroit truly is WAY more messed up then any of us thought.

i find it very hard to believe that he played D-1 ball and has never lifted weights.

i think maybe what they mean is that he has never been on a serious lifting routine since he has been in the NFL. if that is true, then Detroit truly is WAY more messed up then any of us thought.

That's how I interpreted it.

Hard to believe that guys can make that much money and not be required to train. I know there is a union with rules but you would think guys around him who want to win would find a way to get him off of his lazy arse.

Not too surprising to me, and I think it's do to Owens. Williams see's TO working out like mad and still going strong in the NFL at 35 years old, and now he wants to work hard. Part of the reason I was excited about TO signing with the Bills is the effect he may have on James Hardy's conditioning and work ethic. I am not saying it's poor at the moment (I don't really know), but I would bet anything that it's not as rigorous as TO's offseason and season long conditioning.

Yes, that lack of a conditioning program in Detroit has no doubt ruined Calvin Johnson also.

Williams is the most overrated receiver in the NFL? Before he went to Dallas, he was considered somewhat of a bust. He did hardly anything in Dallas last year.

How can he now be "overrated", let alone "the most"?

University of Texas players are not mentally tough, not hard workers and/or they're underachievers, so hearing this about Roy Williams doesn't surprise me.

Here's a list of Texas high-profile underachievers:

Roy E. Williams

Ricky Williams

Mike Williams

Vince Young

Derrick Dockery (not as bad as the others, just overpaid by the Bills)

Cedric Benson

just to name a few. We'll see whether Orakpo pans out.

What a joke Roy Williams is. It takes him 5 years to actually make a committment to conditioning? He is the msot overrated receiver in the NFL.

Coming from the person who was more dedicated to offseason conditioning than anyone, that means a lot.

University of Texas players are not mentally tough, not hard workers and/or they're underachievers, so hearing this about Roy Williams doesn't surprise me.

Roy E. Williams

Ricky Williams

Mike Williams

Vince Young

Cedric Benson

I think I am seeing a pattern here.

Roy E. Williams

Ricky Williams

Mike Williams

Vince Young

Cedric Benson

Michael Huff

That's why Detroit loses so much. They can't even motivate a guy to train consistently??!! I can't believe he wouldn't do it on his own with a personal trainer, if Detroit wouldn't provide a trainer. <_<

I trust Peter King so I'll believe it. It just seems so odd. If anyone else, other than Timmy, reported it I'd write it off as complete BS!

And Jauron was the DC and Interim HC of that losing franchise.....

Roy E. Williams

Ricky Williams

Mike Williams

Vince Young

Cedric Benson

I've been saying this for years. University of Texas athletes are big prima-donnas. They live in a state where football is given higher priority than almost anything. The first time most of those Texas players face any real adversity they fold like a house of cards in a hurricane.

In fact you could make the argument they are a microcosm of a certain segment of society these days. When the going gets tough for those people who never faced adversity, those people snap because they can't handle it. Kind of like the F-stain down here that whacked his whole family last weekend because he went from being well off to not being able to pay the bills.

It's now a mini-controversy with Peter King sticking to his guns. As suspected, the truth falls somewhere in between the two stories.

http://www.profootballtalk.com/2009/06/23/...-seventh-grade/

From the article;

Williams did acknowledge that he hasn’t lifted weights during the season in the past. And he noted that his lone Pro Bowl appearance in 2007 coincided with him not lifting weights during the regular season that year.

IMO, that backs up Peter King exactly;

I see the problem with what the acquaintance said; "Roy never lifted before. Now that he has, and now that he's serious about making himself a great football player,

From what the acquaintance said it sound like he's never lifted weights before but King doesn't say that.

I think the Dallas Cowboys "window" has already closed. Witten is the best receiving threat on that team. Roy Williams will put up some numbers based on the fact they don't have anyone else at WR. I don't think Dallas will sniff the playoffs in a stacked NFC east in 2009. Romo's production after December 1st is pedestrian at best. :rolleyes:

http://www.nfl.com/players/tonyromo/careerstats?id=ROM787981

So all of a sudden lifting weights is going to allow him to have a good year? That's what I find most interesting. If the guy has had questionable work ethics in the past, as this report would indicate, can we not also assume that he's had questionable commitment to learning playbooks, running routes, etc. Yet, now all of a sudden, he lifts a few weights and King is convinced he's set for a great year? Maybe, but I'll wait to see it during a game first.