Move Back to Buffalo?

Has anyone on here ever left Buffalo after college and then moved back? Does it work? Do you find yourself wanting to turn around and leave again? I'm thinking of moving back there this fall, but I'm not sure if I can. Are there any single girls in their late 20's/early 30's? Whenever I go home, it seems that the city is mostly college kids and full-blown adults and not so many people in between. Biggest things luring me back are Bills season tickets, family and the food, but is that enough? Any peronal testimonies would be appreciated...

• Replies 161
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I moved to Phoenix after the blizzard of "78 and returned to Buffalo In 1993 .Things did work out as I had to turn around and move Back to Phoenix. But this city (phoenix)has changed so much that I really long to return to Buffalo in 2014... If you grew up in the city of Buffalo back in the 60's and 70's you would probably not be happy with the weather,but life with the culture you grew up with is priceless. Something good will happen!! :lol:

I moved to Phoenix after the blizzard of "78 and returned to Buffalo In 1993 .Things did work out as I had to turn around and move Back to Phoenix. But this city (phoenix)has changed so much that I really long to return to Buffalo in 2014... If you grew up in the city of Buffalo back in the 60's and 70's you would probably not be happy with the weather,but life with the culture you grew up with is priceless. Something good will happen!! :lol:

Do you mean blizzard of 77?

Sad .... just sad

I've lived in WNY; CNY; Cincinnati, OH; Hamilton, ON; Knoxville, TN; Toledo, OH; LA; Dallas; Chicago; and Nashville, TN. Of this list Nashville, Cincy and Toledo are the only places I would never go back to - my wife and I hated Nashville it just plain sucked. (Cincy I could live there if I had to but would never stay there - Toledo was just an armpit of a city) WNY is an emotional tugger for me but I doubt I would ever live back there. Absolutely will not if the Bills leave.

Where and when did you live in Nashville, and what did you not like? My parents have lived there since 2002 and they love it.

Me too... left after the blizzard and moved to Glendale Arizona and then to Phoenix. Left in 1991 and have never been happier. Hated the heat. Now I am back with family, the Bills and Sabres...... Winter=cozy nights at home...

Do you mean blizzard of 77?

They were both rough. I was in college on Long Island in 1977, and remember thinking that this was serious schit. And I was from Rochester, for Christ's sake. And then the following winter was !@#$ing unbelievable. It was so bad that some God-loving capitalist actually made a board game entitled "The Blizzard of '78". It was !@#$ing Dickensian. Schit like that is going to show up in ice cores someplace.

I'm from Buffalo!. We eat chicken wings, not buffalo wings. Jack Kemp is

a quarterback, not a politician. We drink Labatt Blue and love it. Mighty

Taco always has preference over Taco Bell. Pop, not soda and Pepsi, not Coke.

They are sneakers not tennis shoes. It's a sucker, not a lollipop. Bison

Chip Dip, La Nova Pizzeria, Aunt Rosie's Loganberry, Chiavettas Chicken,

Peter K's Potato Pancakes and Ted's Hot Dogs are all too familiar... not

to forget Taffy's Shakes and Charlie the Butcher.

A fake ID is unnecessary, there is always Canada. But we have them

anyway. Our bars don't close until 4 AM, and we DO sell beer in a grocery store

(Tops or Wegmans), which always makes for early starts and late nights.

Jim's Steak Out at 4 in the morning is calling it an early night.

We never cuss, but we swear entirely too much. We know that a 65 mph

speed limit really means 80. We will cut you off, swear, and give you the

finger if you are not keeping up AND do it all in the snow, while expecting

nothing less in return. Driving in the snow not only comes naturally, it is fun.

We know what ArtVoice and Nightlife are and we either love them or try

to burn every copy we see. We start the weekends off right at Thursdays in

the Square enjoying beer, free music, and an interesting crowd.

We lived through Wide Right, The Forward Lateral, and No Goal. Dubbed by

Dan Marino as "the meanest fans because no-one actually wants to live here."

We all know he wouldn't stand one winter up here. We love the Bills (no

matter what) and accept that it takes 2 - 4 hours to get home from a game.

Nothing closes in 3 feet of snow or -20 windchills. In fact, that's how

We prefer to tailgate. The 2001 Christmas Storm that dumped nearly 7ft of

Lake effect snow, we still think it's a mere 2nd to The Blizzard of '77.

We can correctly pronounce, spell, and identify Chippewa, Scajaquada,

Lackawanna, Cheektowaga, Cattaraugus, Chautauqua, Olean, Tonawanda and

Gowanda without hesitation. When giving direction it's not " take I-90

to Route 33 east" it's "take the 90 to the 33 east"..."the" is not

an option.

We are less than 30 minutes from another country, one of the seven

Wonders of the world, and even a few beaches. It's the second largest city in

New York.

I AM FROM BUFFALO, a drinking town with a sports problem, and damn

proud!

By far the greatest post, in the history of TBD, i dont even have to add anything, so true, so honest, goosebumps damn it, goosebumps!...makes me want to pack my truck and leave Fla tomorrow. :lol:

Has anyone on here ever left Buffalo after college and then moved back? Does it work? Do you find yourself wanting to turn around and leave again? I'm thinking of moving back there this fall, but I'm not sure if I can. Are there any single girls in their late 20's/early 30's? Whenever I go home, it seems that the city is mostly college kids and full-blown adults and not so many people in between. Biggest things luring me back are Bills season tickets, family and the food, but is that enough? Any peronal testimonies would be appreciated...

I'd love to move back. Great place to raise a family. Just not sure I could find work.

I'm from Buffalo!. We eat chicken wings, not buffalo wings. Jack Kemp is

a quarterback, not a politician. We drink Labatt Blue and love it. Mighty

Taco always has preference over Taco Bell. Pop, not soda and Pepsi, not Coke.

They are sneakers not tennis shoes. It's a sucker, not a lollipop. Bison

Chip Dip, La Nova Pizzeria, Aunt Rosie's Loganberry, Chiavettas Chicken,

Peter K's Potato Pancakes and Ted's Hot Dogs are all too familiar... not

to forget Taffy's Shakes and Charlie the Butcher.

A fake ID is unnecessary, there is always Canada. But we have them

anyway. Our bars don't close until 4 AM, and we DO sell beer in a grocery store

(Tops or Wegmans), which always makes for early starts and late nights.

Jim's Steak Out at 4 in the morning is calling it an early night.

We never cuss, but we swear entirely too much. We know that a 65 mph

speed limit really means 80. We will cut you off, swear, and give you the

finger if you are not keeping up AND do it all in the snow, while expecting

nothing less in return. Driving in the snow not only comes naturally, it is fun.

We know what ArtVoice and Nightlife are and we either love them or try

to burn every copy we see. We start the weekends off right at Thursdays in

the Square enjoying beer, free music, and an interesting crowd.

We lived through Wide Right, The Forward Lateral, and No Goal. Dubbed by

Dan Marino as "the meanest fans because no-one actually wants to live here."

We all know he wouldn't stand one winter up here. We love the Bills (no

matter what) and accept that it takes 2 - 4 hours to get home from a game.

Nothing closes in 3 feet of snow or -20 windchills. In fact, that's how

We prefer to tailgate. The 2001 Christmas Storm that dumped nearly 7ft of

Lake effect snow, we still think it's a mere 2nd to The Blizzard of '77.

We can correctly pronounce, spell, and identify Chippewa, Scajaquada,

Lackawanna, Cheektowaga, Cattaraugus, Chautauqua, Olean, Tonawanda and

Gowanda without hesitation. When giving direction it's not " take I-90

to Route 33 east" it's "take the 90 to the 33 east"..."the" is not

an option.

We are less than 30 minutes from another country, one of the seven

Wonders of the world, and even a few beaches. It's the second largest city in

New York.

I AM FROM BUFFALO, a drinking town with a sports problem, and damn

proud!

No jobs, team poised to leave the city, terrible weather, businesses evaporating from the area, state income tax....

Yeah no thanks.

Lived in Buffalo from 81-97 (ages 9-25). Love the Bills, would never consider moving back.

yeah, that whole eastern corridor there between NYC, Philly, and Baltimore/DC can get pretty nasty during the summer when they hit the triple digits for days on end during heat waves and have high humidity to boot...

from my personal experiences, I would have to say the worst heat/humidity I have ever had to endure was in St. Louis during the summer. Not only would it hit 105-110 with many more days in the mid to upper 90s and humidity high enough to make you feel like you could barely breathe, but the temperature wouldn't go down at night hardly at all. There were a lot of times we would be getting ready to go out to the clubs around midnight or so and it would still be in the high 80's or low 90's, along with stifling humidity. The running joke there was the weather forecasters were on crack because they would always predict these lows of 75 or 78 or whatever, and you would be coming home at 3 or 4 am and it would still be like 85 out...everyone was like there is no freaking way the temperature is getting down to 75 tonite...

The story I always tell people about St Louis is the first day I ever spent there. We drove down in late August with all my stuff as I was starting college there(Saint Louis University). Got there late at night and it was freaking stuffy as hell. Stayed in a hotel as it was the day before we could register for the school year. Next day, get up, go to the campus to move everything in and sign up for things. Campus is undergoing construction all over, as they had just decided the main road thru campus was going to be turned into a sidewalk and be blocked from traffic. No trees anywhere, just concrete and dirt as far as the eye could see. Have to walk across campus to the registrar's office. This is about noon or 1pm and it is freaking hotter than hades out there. St. Louis Cardinals were playing a game at old Busch stadium on the astroturf and it was so hot on the field the players were getting their feet burned from the small metal spikes they were wearing. They had to literally bring the huge hoses out and spray down the players with the hoses at the start of every inning. The announcer was calling for the game to be cancelled and that it was ridiculous how hot it was on the field. A bunch of people in the stands were being treated for heat exhaustion and dehydration(drinking lots of beers on a day like that was a lot of people's way to beat the heat apparently). On field temperature was approaching 165. Air temperature was 99 with a heat index of over 120. My dorm room was on the 8th floor and of course the dorm I was put in had no air conditioning. A fan was not one of the things I had packed from home, so I spent the most uncomfortable night of my life laying in my dorm room sweating and waiting for any breeze to come thru the window, but it never came. I think I lost about 10 pounds that night. I never want to have that feeling again...

Whatever the reason is for St Louis staying so hot even at night---some people say its the heat island effect because they have chopped down so many trees in the city, others say its because the city is dipped down in a valley that somehow holds the heat in---if you watch the weather channel on a typical summer night at around 9 or 10 pm, you will see the 2 hottest places in the country on most nights are the desert southwest(usually Phoenix since they are an hour or 2 behind), and St. Louis, which is usually 8-10 degrees warmer than all the other cities around it on the map...noone has ever explained why this is satisfactorily to me, but all I can say is I told my friends when I left I'd love to come see them, but I will never go back there in the summer, and never have...

Concrete and asphalt radiate heat long after the sun has gone down.

oh, I forgot to add this too: if you want to spend a weekend in the mountains, pack up your car/truck, pop in some classic rock CD's, hop on the I-90 for a cruise, and in about 4-5 hours you will be right in the middle of the Adirondack Park, depending on what part you want to go to.

I used to live right there myself (ADK park) because I love the outdoors and all the camping/hiking/fishing opportunities. But it got boring as hell after a while.

Then I realized I could just live in the city and take trips whenever I felt like it. I've been doing it ever since, and strangely I never choose to head up in the midst of winter.

And yeah, I said "the city."

For some people that means NYC, for me it means Buffalo!

LOL I did the opposite Trolls, my wife is from out here at the edge of the ADK park, so we're out here now. It really is beautiful, we have a boat on the Sacandaga Lake (where 3 foot waves make for a "bad boating day"lol. I tell them about fishing with my dad and a neighbor on Lake Erie in an 18' boat, dipping in the valley of 7-8 waves and not being able to see anything but waves on either side, even when we were standing up), great views of the mountains, and longer boating season. But yeah, the whole driving 40 minutes or longer to get to a mall or for a night out in anything other than pizza or the the local bar type foods (which is ok, just when you want a change of pace) gets a little old.

I always considered women in their late 20's / early 30's full blown adults, but what do I know? Here's one idea. Log onto E-Harmony.com and fill out your personality page. Make sure you are specific about looking for women in their late 20's/early 30's that are not quite adults yet, that live in the metro Buffalo NY area. I bet you get at least 2,000 hits back. Of course I'm only guessing, since I have never used E-Haromony.com myself.

Come on, let's be serious for just one milisecond here. Buffalo has thousands of single women in every age group, just like every other city of similar size in the world. Would you move to Russia for the food and family? I doubt it. But have you checked out the gorgeous Russian athletes that keep showing up on the tennis and track and field tours??

Plus, most of us only need to meet one or two good women in our entire life. A tad over half of us will get divorced from the first one, so the second one will come in handy. Don't you think you can find at least two women of your age in the metro Buffalo area over the next 30 years or so??? I know you can do it, even in downtrodden Buffalo!! :lol:

Has anyone on here ever left Buffalo after college and then moved back? Does it work? Do you find yourself wanting to turn around and leave again? I'm thinking of moving back there this fall, but I'm not sure if I can. Are there any single girls in their late 20's/early 30's? Whenever I go home, it seems that the city is mostly college kids and full-blown adults and not so many people in between. Biggest things luring me back are Bills season tickets, family and the food, but is that enough?

Been all over the world with military and school. Although weather is definitely alot better in some places, WNY is a great place. Moreover, good solid people as a whole live there. You figure you got to have character and a little humour to survive those winters. GO BILLS. FIND A JOB AND MOVE BACK

i was born and raised in WNY until 1986. i left for the military for 4 years and moved to Vegas in 1990. last year, i moved back to WNY, after getting full custody of my kids, for the purpose of getting them both a better education. half the kids in Vegas can't speak English and stopping class to interpret to them only hampered my kids learning ability. my kids are in 7th and 2nd grade. i was amazed, at the beginning of the year, at how far behind they were compared to the other kids. now, they are right up there. i'm not too happy being back here (weather and NYS dysfunctions) but i'm willing to make that sacrifice for my kids education. i may change my mind down the road but i'll be leaving NYS as soon as my youngest graduates. it can't happen quick enough for me.

While in Buffalo this past weekend I've noticed little pockets of the city coming back. Broadway near Lafayette Sq has renovated buildings with neat new shops. Rhode Island Ave is turning into a mini-Allentown. With the Aud almost gone you can see what that end of town could become. By the way, there is a lot of empty land by HSBC...enough space for a new stadium IMHO.

PTR

Where and when did you live in Nashville, and what did you not like? My parents have lived there since 2002 and they love it.

We lived East of the city in Old Hickory - near the lake - My job was far east of the city so living in Franklin was not an option. We just found the city to lack community. It was boring and outside of Franklin and the tourist areas there was nothing from a dining and nightlife perspective.

I just would not go back. Knoxville, is a different story, a small city, but very livable, arts and a few good places to eat.

I was born and raised in Buffalo .Went to High School and college here.

In my early 20's I started to travel and lived in Miami, San Diego and for a little bit Atlanta.

The Navy gave me a chance to see, Hong Kong, Singapore, Perth in Australia, Hawaii (Twice)

I really loved San Diego. I wanted to stay after my military time was up but it is a very expensive town to live in. Back in the 90's a condo out there cost 700 bucks a month and it really wasnt a condo the way we know ...it was more a 2 bedroom apartment.

So I came back home in 93' and I think it was a wise choice. Snow was never a problem with me, I love the change of seasons and after living threw an Earthquake ( 5.7) I will take 2 feet of snow over an Earthquake anyday folks. If there one thing this town knows how to do it deal with snow . We get 7 inches here and its just another day. 3 inches of snow in other cities they close down for the day.

I liked the idea of living down south but the summers are way to hot for me. and it doesn't really cool off at night either. To me we have the most perfect summers ,not to hot, not to cool. I think to people that are turned off by the weather are soft , we cant control the weather so why make it a issue??

I love living here in Buffalo, houses are cheap so to speak, very good schools, parks, festivials are way better than average.And it is a really good place to raise kids.

But the only way to get a decent job here ...and this is my opinion...you really have to know somebody important or you have family ties. I have been lucky to have both so I really dont have a problem finding a job, even though its not the best paying job in the world it pays for my house and car so I am content.

Im afraid when my parents leave this earth, they are both from down south but came to Buffalo when manufacturing was just giving away high paying jobs...That I will most likely leave for Canada. And have dual-citizenship, hell I spend enough time up there as it is.

And thats another reason I love living here....

If I want to go to a big town there is always Toronto to hang out at for the weekend.

Its the old school politics that is holding the town from becoming an even better place to live. Taxes drive rich people and companies away. Its a shame too

I agree. For the first 15 years after my Marine Corp hitch, I kept coming back to WNY when construction jobs ended. Both our kids were born there as well. But after the 100 yr. old company I worked for in Dansville shut down -went to China-, we decided we'd had enough of the TOOOO long winters and headed for Florida. As many here are aware, our kids -and us for that matter- wore halloween costumes 3X too big, just to fit over winter parka's and the snow & cold runs through May. Now in TN, we get all 4 seasons with a very mild winter -a couple 'dustings' a year. Our collective heart is and always will be in WNY, but we opt to live in better climate. Ridiculous NYS taxes nothwithstanding, it's the weather that keeps us away.

Best wishes with your choice.

I worked in the same you worked in dansville the old F.W. Have'nt found a good job since.