Blackouts shouldn't give Jacksonville a black eye

you mean this ?

The Buffalo Bills will move to Toronto before the Jags depart.

Yeah, that part.

But...the whole tenor of the article is what really got me. If the area had real fans the stadium would be packed...maybe not every game, but better than their history has shown.

I assume that he's talking about the Jags' lease with Jacksonville preventing them from moving before the Bills allegedly move to Toronto (not gonna happen, since splitting games would make the most sense). Good luck with that.

I like piling on about other teams misery, especially Jax and their problems with blackout tarps.

BUT....

Do we all forget those times in the 70s and 80s where only 15-20 thousand fans showed up to football games? Different times of course, but it still happened.

Or how the bills suddenly plummeted from 55 thousand season ticket holders to less than 30,000 in less than 5 years after Kelly retired? We were still pretty decent around that time...not SB era teams but we were decent.

I guess the belief these days is that the NFL is so popular that there is no reason you should have a team if you don't sell out. I get it. But stuff happens.

This article reflects the annoying tendency of southerners, especially Floridians, to act as though their growth will go on forever, and that somehow they are exempt from the very cycles of rise and decline that led to their growth in the first place.

And, of course, it reflects the fact that the author is a douche.

I like piling on about other teams misery, especially Jax and their problems with blackout tarps.

BUT....

Do we all forget those times in the 70s and 80s where only 15-20 thousand fans showed up to football games? Different times of course, but it still happened.

Or how the bills suddenly plummeted from 55 thousand season ticket holders to less than 30,000 in less than 5 years after Kelly retired? We were still pretty decent around that time...not SB era teams but we were decent.

I guess the belief these days is that the NFL is so popular that there is no reason you should have a team if you don't sell out. I get it. But stuff happens.

But we are showing up now, aren't we? I think we show that we are strong NFL fans. And as much as the Toronto deal bites, I think the NFL wants to keep the Bills from leaving Buffalo entirely because we are good fans in a economically poor market.

PTR

Except for the Bills part, I do not find this article that bad. Times are tough right now. If the Bills had not gotten TO, the article could of been about the Bills. Even die hard fans have to question their entertainment spending. There is only so many times I can watch my team get buried. I have seen a lot of material on this board about bad management, not willing to spend the money, greedy owner, I am not buying tickets until we get a good coach and ETC. To me the Bills have a captive audience, If not the Bills what else? Moving Bills games to Toronto should of showed us something like the writer said about the backouts.

I just responded. Might not make it past moderation, though:

Jags fans are an embarrassment. The team tarps over thousands of seats, and still has blackouts in seasons where the team does very well. Weren’t there blackouts in 2007, when the team finished 11-5? What about 2005, when the team finished 12-4? That’s not good enough for fans to attend the games? What a sad excuse, for lack of attendence.

OTOH, people talk about the possibility of the Buffalo Bills moving, all the time. The Bills haven’t made the playoffs this decade, and regularly sellout a stadium with a capacity of almost 74,000 seats. And they do it even though many of the games are played outside, in pretty bad weather.

But you are right about one thing. The blackouts shouldn’t give J-Ville a black eye. It should put the city in the NFL ICU and on life-support for keeping its NFL franchise

But you are right about one thing. The blackouts shouldn’t give J-Ville a black eye. It should put the city in the NFL ICU and on life-support for keeping its NFL franchise

:blink: Kudos. :thumbsup:

You people bring a tear to my eye. :blink:

Harry K says:

May 28, 2009 at 10:18 amVery weak arguement. Other cities don’t have their entire season blacked out. As for performance the Jags have made the playoffs sevral times. Do your fans need to be a contender every year just to show up? The Buffalo Bills have missed the playoffs 9 seasons in a row and sell out (72,000+) almost every game, and our weather is worse later in the season. And save the “there’s nothing else to do in Buffalo” jokes. There’s plenty more to do there than in Jerk-sonvile. Bills fans are REAL football fans.

Reply SKOOBY says:

May 28, 2009 at 11:16 amThis article is a crock. If Jacksonville had real fans that stadium would be packed. That’s it, end of story.

The author mentions “questionable weather”? Tell that to the folks in GB, CHI, BUFF.

My chauffeur could write a better article and English is his third language.

Reply The Dean says:

May 28, 2009 at 11:27 amJags fans are an embarrassment. The team tarps over thousands of seats, and still has blackouts in seasons where the team does very well. Weren’t there blackouts in 2007, when the team finished 11-5? What about 2005, when the team finished 12-4? That’s not good enough for fans to attend the games? What a sad excuse, for lack of attendence.

OTOH, people talk about the possibility of the Buffalo Bills moving, all the time. The Bills haven’t made the playoffs this decade, and regularly sellout a stadium with a capacity of almost 74,000 seats. And they do it even though many of the games are played outside, in pretty bad weather.

But you are right about one thing. The blackouts shouldn’t give J-Ville a black eye. It should put the city in the NFL ICU and on life-support for keeping its NFL franchise.

Reply Mike Smith says:

May 28, 2009 at 3:01 pmThe Bills will never move to Toronto. The Toronto deal (playing one regular season a year) is exactly what will keep the Bills in Buffalo forever and the Jags in LA.

Buy tickets or shut up.

-A Buffalo Bills Season Ticket Holder