Was Oher the better pick?

The contrast between Maybin & Oher is interesting. I was'nt thrilled with the Bills taking Maybin, mainly because I do not see Maybin as an instant impact player. He really would have benefitted from another year in school. Also, is Maybin more than just an edge rusher?

We have a few guys that can move the QB out of the pocket now, hopefully Maybin can flush Brady into the waiting arms of Schobel / anybody with a Bills jersy on.

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Chris Steuber thinks so.

Not sure if I agree. I love the Maybin selection. Still, it's worth tracking. Anyone who hasn't read the Blind Side needs to. Amazing book. Oher could be the next Pace at left tackle, but Maybin has an unworldy first step. Tough call.

Oher is going to be a bust. Ya heard it here first so mark it down. The media hoopla that surrounds him now, due to the book, is going to be a little overwhelming for a rookie and IMO a distraction. He's going to be under the microscope for awhile.

When the movie comes out it's gonna get hot again and another distraction. I don't know if he's going to be able to handle all the pressure. I think he was overrated to begin with anyhow.

Why would you include a link in your post that forces you to pay money to read then entire thing? Are you a salesman for that "premium" e-zine or something? :pirate:

Haha, no...sorry forgot it was premium. Some on there are free.

That's no excuse Mr. if you can't bring enough for the whole class then....

I wasn't sold on Oher, nor on the Fat Guy without a shirt. It looked like the only two sure, no doubt picks at LT were picked up in the first few selections. The Bills had a few top priority spots they had to fill with really talented guys, and they couldn't take a chance on a LT that high, if he had any chance of being a bust. As for Maybin, I didn't see a lot of pre-draft film on him, and was surprised by the pick. I would've been happy with E. Brown at 11, and when we could've got him in round two, that was the only part of our draft I didn't like. Orakpo, too, seemed a solid pick at 11. As it is, I have to assume that the Bills F.O. and scouts know more about players than I do. If they picked Maybin that high, I'm giving him time to see if they were right, and I really hope they were. It seemed, if I remember correctly, that the draft coverage people were a bit surprised by the pick. They expected a DE or a LT, but Maybins name was spoken of somewhat questionably. Let's hope they know what they are doing. I loved the line selections, though, and I think Byrd is going to be our version of Polamalu, or Bob Sanders. That'd be great!

Maybin is a DE. It's going to take Maybin three years, IMO, to reach his full potential. Hopefully they will bring him along slowly as a situational pass rusher this year. He may struggle this year so don't get on him if he does. He's a project with HUGE upside.

If one of the top three left tackles had been available we should have picked an LT. With Oher and Maybin it should have been a close call. I think Oher will be very good, but I think Maybin has the potential to make a huge difference in the defensive line. On the other hand our biggest problem (and reason we will probably not make the playoffs again) is the offfensive line. No pass protection and TE, TO and Evans are pretty much useless. We have a lot riding on a bizarre offensive line set up this year. Still, our second weakest area was the defensive line and we only had one first round pick. I'm okay with Maybin over Oher.

If one of the top three left tackles had been available we should have picked an LT. With Oher and Maybin it should have been a close call. I think Oher will be very good, but I think Maybin has the potential to make a huge difference in the defensive line. On the other hand our biggest problem (and reason we will probably not make the playoffs again) is the offfensive line. No pass protection and TE, TO and Evans are pretty much useless. We have a lot riding on a bizarre offensive line set up this year. Still, our second weakest area was the defensive line and we only had one first round pick. I'm okay with Maybin over Oher.

The problem on the OL was Peters', Dockery's, and Preston's/Fowler's poor play, combined with the lack of a true #2 WR and Trent's decline post-concussion. Several of those have been addressed, and TO's presence in particular will help the offense out a lot.

Some drafts are just weak- I think the top three guys might be late first round early second round in other years- If you compared Oher Combine tests and Physical measurables with Joel Bells' without names you'd pick Bell - and Maybins no sure thing either- I think he compares with Manny Lawson in fact Lawson was probably the better athlete and look what Lawson has done.

Sadly for me, the reason I hate the Maybin pick was because DJ picked him. I would have hated Oher too, because DJ picked him. I am convinced that he can do no right, the prick.

So, given we picked him, Maybin will be a semi-dud a la Whitner, and Oher will have ten+ years of great service. That is my prediction. Hope not.

So theoretically you hated every pick the Bills made this year, including Wood, LeVitre & Nelson, because DJ picked them. :blink:

No disrespect to anyone but I wish you were going to proclaim anyone to be a bust please expand and let us know WHY you feel that way.....so we can at least discuss it.

I dont think either one of these players are going to be busts.....i just think they might take a little longer to develop.

Quite so..for both statements.

The only predictions I find more or less reliable are crop predictions...and the farmers are careful to add that they might be totally wrong.

No disrespect to anyone but I wish you were going to proclaim anyone to be a bust please expand and let us know WHY you feel that way.....so we can at least discuss it.

I dont think either one of these players are going to be busts.....i just think they might take a little longer to develop.

Most people that post this player will be great or a bust..........................have seen little to nothing of that player. afcfan1 was saying Orakpo would be a much better player than Maybin, but he thought his name was Orakbo. I'm sure he never saw him play.

Hmmm this is actually a very interesting question...Was Maybin or Oher the better pick?

Well let's look at the evidence. Maybin has been very strong. He struggled during his rookie season, but has been steadily improving and was even elected as a reserve to the pro bowl the past 2 seasons after registering 9.5 and 11.5 sacks, respectively. He's quickly emerged as a top 5 defensive end in the game.

Oher, on the other hand, has also been successful but more quietly so. After defeating some personal demons, he now anchorms one of the most efficient offensive lines in the game and has actually become a leader in the lockerroom. Though his successes have not yet been recognized by a pro bowl bid, those who study football metrics say he is one of the best and improving.

Oher would have been asset to Buffalo for sure, but it's hard to look back in anger when we got Maybin out of it. I'll say Maybin was the better pick.

Wait a second...it isn't 2013 yet? Why are we judging the 2009 draft?

Chris Steuber thinks so.

Not sure if I agree. I love the Maybin selection. Still, it's worth tracking. Anyone who hasn't read the Blind Side needs to. Amazing book. Oher could be the next Pace at left tackle, but Maybin has an unworldy first step. Tough call.

I did not agree at the time. I wanted Oher. I think he will be a very good and 1-3 time Pro Bowler. Just my guess based on his talent and the determination I feel the kid has.

As far as Maybin, I think the Bills are going for a homerun. The guy has lightning in his first step and has a high motor. He is a projection though. The guy needs to learn and perfect counter moves as well as get much stronger and learn to use his hand much better. If all this happens he can be as good or better than what Oher can be, but Maybin could be a bust very easily b/c of his lack of strengh and size (thin hips). I love the kids confidence, character, motor and attitude so I really, really hope I an wrong.

Go Bills.

I did not agree at the time. I wanted Oher. I think he will be a very good and 1-3 time Pro Bowler. Just my guess based on his talent and the determination I feel the kid has.

As far as Maybin, I think the Bills are going for a homerun. The guy has lightning in his first step and has a high motor. He is a projection though. The guy needs to learn and perfect counter moves as well as get much stronger and learn to use his hand much better. If all this happens he can be as good or better than what Oher can be, but Maybin could be a bust very easily b/c of his lack of strengh and size (thin hips). I love the kids confidence, character, motor and attitude so I really, really hope I an wrong.

Go Bills.

Even the blind robin sometimes gets the worm. Lets hope Maybin is an anomoly, a young player who can play through DJs "coaching" and still become an exceptional player.

Did not work so far for Whitner, Poz, McCargo, etc. etc. They all have been coached down instead of up, and coupld nopt overcome that. Wpould these guys have been better with better coaching. In my opinion, yes.

The problem on the OL was Peters', Dockery's, and Preston's/Fowler's poor play, combined with the lack of a true #2 WR and Trent's decline post-concussion. Several of those have been addressed, and TO's presence in particular will help the offense out a lot.

"Several of those have been addressed..." you say.

Yeah, but how?

Dockery has been replaced with a rookie. He's never played a down in the league and a fair amount of rookies turn out to be flops. Most of us think he'll be a good one. But it's basically an educated guess.

Fowler was replaced with a guy with some experience. I have less problem here than anywhere else on the o-line. But how well will he do against the mammoth nose tackles in this division?

We had a strength at RG. So we moved him to a position that he has never played as a pro. And replaced his strength at RG with a rookie. See the comments about rookies above.

Peters had his worst year as a pro but was still upper echelon by the end of the year. We replaced him with a guy who is not physically built to be an LT. He just doesn't have the body or the skill set to keep speed rushers out. This is not good.

The o-line is a massive hulking question mark.

And as many many have said, it is just as likely that Trent's decline was caused simply by facing better teams. Before his injury he was playing well ... against the league's dogs.

Hmmm this is actually a very interesting question...Was Maybin or Oher the better pick?

Well let's look at the evidence. Maybin has been very strong. He struggled during his rookie season, but has been steadily improving and was even elected as a reserve to the pro bowl the past 2 seasons after registering 9.5 and 11.5 sacks, respectively. He's quickly emerged as a top 5 defensive end in the game.

Oher, on the other hand, has also been successful but more quietly so. After defeating some personal demons, he now anchorms one of the most efficient offensive lines in the game and has actually become a leader in the lockerroom. Though his successes have not yet been recognized by a pro bowl bid, those who study football metrics say he is one of the best and improving.

Oher would have been asset to Buffalo for sure, but it's hard to look back in anger when we got Maybin out of it. I'll say Maybin was the better pick.

Wait a second...it isn't 2013 yet? Why are we judging the 2009 draft?

Yeah, from the viewpoint of 2013, Maybin looks to have been a terrific pick. Wish he was still with the Bills instead of the Patriots*, who picked him up in free agency after the Bills couldn't re-sign him.

Thgew problem isn't last year's offensive line. That line is gone. The problem is THIS year's offensive line. Two rookies and no one playing in their normal position. Could be a recipe for disaster. I hope I'm wrong and it is possible that they will jell from the get go...but that is a pretty optimistic view.