I never thought I would say this, but ..

(GULP) the Miami Dolphins! As much as we hate to admit it, they are the team in our division that showed the most dramatic improvement in the league. That cursed Bill Parcells continues his knack for taking teams in the crapper and turning them into contenders. To think that all the success they had with the Wildcat last year will only improve in its 2nd year, and now with the addition of this "slash-type player" Pat White its liable to be opened up even more! I kept waiting for Chad "int" Pennington to return to form but he played well, Joey Porter thrived in his new role and now they get Jason Taylor back. Bill Parcells will continue to haunt this team as if it was 1991 all over again!

I keep hearing the talking heads saying that the Pats* are still the team to beat in the AFCE, I just don't believe that Brady* is going to be the same QB we're used to seeing. Over a year out of football, the psychological effects of the knee injury, and the teams' overall losses at key positions ie: corners in particular will be too much to overcome.

The Jets, I think this team over-achieved offensively with Brett at QB and in spite of all the good moves they made defensively, they won't be able to score enough points in this division to compete.

Maybe I'm completely wrong on these assumptions about the upcoming season, what do you guys think? Anyone else see the wildcat offense as being similar to the K-gun offense for us in the early 90's? :unsure:

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i honestly don't know how much better Miami got this offseason...all i know is pennington's never had 2 good seasons in a row I see it shaping up

1.Pats (11-5)

2.Buffalo (10-6)

3.Fins (7-9/8-8/9-7) somewhere round .500 i don't know

4.Jets (5-11)

You have to remember Miami was playing a last place schedule, this year a first place schedule. All the breaks went their way, and Pennington has never had two good seasons in a row. The only team anyone has to fear in the AFC East, sadly, is still the Patriots without any doubt.

i honestly don't know how much better Miami got this offseason...all i know is pennington's never had 2 good seasons in a row I see it shaping up

1.Pats (11-5)

2.Buffalo (10-6)

3.Fins (7-9/8-8/9-7) somewhere round .500 i don't know

4.Jets (5-11)

I understand your thinking on the Pats* being 11-5 ( based on Brady's* return to form )

I am curious, however, what makes you think that Buffalo will go 10-6 this season? New coach hired midway through the season? :blink:

While I do see Pennington having less success at QB I think overall the team will improve in its second year implementing the Wildcat, not to mention them being better defensively. Look what happened with just Porter in the front 7 last year and now you throw a healthy Jason Taylor into the mix. I see them winning the division again, unfortunately. :unsure:

I agree with your assessment of the Jets, I see a bottom dweller there.

You have to remember Miami was playing a last place schedule, this year a first place schedule. All the breaks went their way, and Pennington has never had two good seasons in a row. The only team anyone has to fear in the AFC East, sadly, is still the Patriots without any doubt.

Sadly

you keep mentioning that this is Miami's second year of the wildcat offense, but you decline to say that this is the second year for all 32 teams defenses to prepare for the wildcat...its a gimmicky offense and defenses will be more prepared for it this year...especially defenses playing against Miami

Parcells did work with the Fins. They went from flop to top tier in one season. He also has built a solid core of players through FA, trades, and the draft. Miami will be a quality team for the next 3 or 4 years IMO.

I'm glad someone posted this, I was about to add something about the division and it's strengths and weaknesses. Miami, with Parcells and company, has a decent roster, with guys that are there to work. They will be a competitive team, but, they did overachieve last year, and had a weak division and schedule, and had the new wildcat. This year, they've got a tough schedule, a tougher division, and, IMO, the wildcat isn't going to be as successful because pro teams can game plan to stop it much more effectively than the k-gun offense. It'll be tough for them to have as much success this year, I think. Of course, I could be way off on this, but we'll see. On a one to four basis, ranking both offense and defense, I see NE as having the best offense, and the second best defense. I see the Bills as having the third best defense, and the second best offense. I see Miami having the third offense, and the worst defense. And the Jets have the worst offense, and the best defense. Those numbers add up to NE = 3, Buffalo = 5, Miami = 7, Jets = 5; with the least points the best. That kind of puts the division where I see it finishing: NE, Buffalo, Jets, Miami. The last two could be reversed, but I see Buffalo as being more talented than the Jets and Miami, and good enough to get a wildcard. I like Buffalo's running backs and recievers more than anyone's in the division. I like our secondary better, too. Our O-line could get good towards the middle to end. So, we've got some sparks to work with. If Trent shows up and stays consistent, and if our D-line plays good, we could challenge NE for the division. If not, we all know where we could end up.

you keep mentioning that this is Miami's second year of the wildcat offense, but you decline to say that this is the second year for all 32 teams defenses to prepare for the wildcat...its a gimmicky offense and defenses will be more prepared for it this year...especially defenses playing against Miami

Was just going to say this...good point. I would think the Wildcat is less effective and i bet the dolphins finish below .500.

The only team the Bills must fear in the AFC East must be the Bills themselves....for under achieving year in year out.....

all the teams in the AFC East have good coaching staffs and good front offices - EXCEPT the one headquartered at OBD.

That's quite a disadvantage to overcome every week - and is why the Bills will again be cellar dwellars

The Wildcat is a gimick offense that teams had figured out by the end of last year. It will be much less effective this year as defensive coordinators have plenty of film to develop a better way to defend it.

The Pats* are the team to beat. Miami will be competitive. The Jets, who knows but I think they will suck.

I have no faith in our coaching staff to make intelligent decisions in the heat of battle when the game is on the line. We are overmatched there by at least 2 of our division foes and thats the difference between playoffs and no playoffs.

RTB

I understand your thinking on the Pats* being 11-5 ( based on Brady's* return to form )

I am curious, however, what makes you think that Buffalo will go 10-6 this season? New coach hired midway through the season? :thumbsup:

While I do see Pennington having less success at QB I think overall the team will improve in its second year implementing the Wildcat, not to mention them being better defensively. Look what happened with just Porter in the front 7 last year and now you throw a healthy Jason Taylor into the mix. I see them winning the division again, unfortunately. :w00t:

I agree with your assessment of the Jets, I see a bottom dweller there.

Bills start 0-6, fire Jauron and hire a port-o-potty as HC and the Bills win 10 straight.

Port-o-potty is named coach of the year.

Was just going to say this...good point. I would think the Wildcat is less effective and i bet the dolphins finish below .500.

I read somewhere (maybe here) that adding a 3rd safety on wildcat prone downs would be an effective defense.

Maybe this is why Jauron has 16 DB's on the roster.

(GULP) the Miami Dolphins! As much as we hate to admit it, they are the team in our division that showed the most dramatic improvement in the league. That cursed Bill Parcells continues his knack for taking teams in the crapper and turning them into contenders. To think that all the success they had with the Wildcat last year will only improve in its 2nd year, and now with the addition of this "slash-type player" Pat White its liable to be opened up even more! I kept waiting for Chad "int" Pennington to return to form but he played well, Joey Porter thrived in his new role and now they get Jason Taylor back. Bill Parcells will continue to haunt this team as if it was 1991 all over again!

I keep hearing the talking heads saying that the Pats* are still the team to beat in the AFCE, I just don't believe that Brady* is going to be the same QB we're used to seeing. Over a year out of football, the psychological effects of the knee injury, and the teams' overall losses at key positions ie: corners in particular will be too much to overcome.

The Jets, I think this team over-achieved offensively with Brett at QB and in spite of all the good moves they made defensively, they won't be able to score enough points in this division to compete.

Maybe I'm completely wrong on these assumptions about the upcoming season, what do you guys think? Anyone else see the wildcat offense as being similar to the K-gun offense for us in the early 90's? :w00t:

My Yami has a 1st rate HC iand motivator n Sparano, something Buffalo lacks. I would pick NE to win the division with My Yami as a possible wild card. NY and Buffalo will finish up out of the playoffs unless Ryan can duplicate what happened at My Yami, Atlanta and Baltimore last season. To so that, Ryan will have to build a defensive, smash-mouth team, which may be hard to do in his first year and the lack of a top tier QB will hurt the Jets. Henne will be very capable of taking over for Pennington from what I've seen. He's had a year to learn the system and has a much better arm than Chad.

I dont think the wildcat offense is a gimmick, or that it will wont work as well this year as last. When the single wing offense is run correctly, having a quarterback as a runner gives you an extra blocker and opens up a world of playaction, draws, misdirection plays, blocking schemes and deception in general which are legitimately hard to defend against.

If you have players that can block and receive, the defense has a hard time picking what personnel to put on the field.