Finally some news on McCargo...

eball

I am not sure exactly what made the Bills sour on him. When he was playing the previous year, I kept seeing flashes of why they drafted him as high as they did...at least once or twice a game he was completely blowing up plays in the backfield and being completely disruptive...better than what Williams was doing, although perhaps Williams was more consistent in his play?

Last year another poster said that Mcgargo didn't stick with his defensive responsiblities. The poster suggested that he would go rogue and do his own thing trying to make the big play. Take it FWIW, I can't recall the source of the information. I would imagine if this was true it could be partly why he started losing playing time. True or not, I saw the same athletic ability you saw.

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Kollar to Houston

"They had a squirt with the GM Russ Brandon and (Bills Owner) Ralph Wilson, and it went for quite a while. It wasn’t like it was a one day deal. The Texans had been working on it for over a week, and it finally came to be the other day.”

Evidently, it was not something everyone was on-board with at OBD. This has been discussed previously on TSW that Buffalo simply didn't want to let him go. He has 20 years as a DL coach in the league, so obviously he's done something right.

I would also point out that former Rams DT (and first rounder) Jimmy Kennedy had the same feelings toward Kollar that McCargo probably has. Kennedy was a complete bust, and is not a sure thing to make the Vikings roster this year. Perhaps it's not the coach but the player.

Furthermore, why didn't Kollar get tough with Kyle Williams? Perhaps it's because Williams, while not as athletic, works hard in and out of the season. McCargo has never demonstrated a willingness to put in the time necessary to live up to first round pick status. He won't even start in his fourth season in the league, which pretty much clinches it, no matter how many puff pieces are written between now and opening day.

But it makes fans feel good that an article comes out which agrees that a former first rounder might suddenly turn the corner after three forgettable seasons. Sure.

I don't know where you got your information from, but since it was a lateral move, the Bills let him leave. If they really wanted him, they would have blocked the Texans from getting him. And they got a better guy in Bob Sanders anyway. Kind of like how they "lost out" on Coles, and got TO instead. :cry:

Assistant head coach is considered a promotion over a position coach. For example, http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/wire?sectio...&id=2946759

Kollar was promoted to AHC/DL with the Texans. http://www.houstontexans.com/team/coaches.asp

It may be the case that the Bills could not have matched this promotion, and it was a promotion, without having to do something with either Bobby April or Chuck Lester who have the Assistant Head Coach tags in Buffalo. April definitely has the tag, and IIRC they tagged Lester some time ago when some team came sniffing around after him.

In essence, it is a title given to a couple of non-head coaches so that the only way another team can hire them away without the first team's permission is to elevate that coach to the Head Coach job. In the NFL, another team can hire away your coaches by granting a promotion without the permission of the first team. In other words, if coach X has a contract with team A as a K coach, he can't turn around and sign another contract with team B as their K coach; but, if team B offers him a promotion, then that's a different story.

At any rate, the Bills didn't want to use or weren't able to use the tag to keep Kollar and part of that decision was that Kollar didn't want to stay and Dick didn't want to force him to stay if he didn't want to be here. (Not entirely unheard of; see Mike Mularkey and Dick LeBeau, for example.) Thankfully, the Bills signed Jauron to a 3 year extension, so he can't go anywhere. :bag:

Kollar to Houston

"They had a squirt with the GM Russ Brandon and (Bills Owner) Ralph Wilson, and it went for quite a while. It wasn’t like it was a one day deal. The Texans had been working on it for over a week, and it finally came to be the other day.”

Evidently, it was not something everyone was on-board with at OBD. This has been discussed previously on TSW that Buffalo simply didn't want to let him go. He has 20 years as a DL coach in the league, so obviously he's done something right.

I would also point out that former Rams DT (and first rounder) Jimmy Kennedy had the same feelings toward Kollar that McCargo probably has. Kennedy was a complete bust, and is not a sure thing to make the Vikings roster this year. Perhaps it's not the coach but the player.

Furthermore, why didn't Kollar get tough with Kyle Williams? Perhaps it's because Williams, while not as athletic, works hard in and out of the season. McCargo has never demonstrated a willingness to put in the time necessary to live up to first round pick status. He won't even start in his fourth season in the league, which pretty much clinches it, no matter how many puff pieces are written between now and opening day.

But it makes fans feel good that an article comes out which agrees that a former first rounder might suddenly turn the corner after three forgettable seasons. Sure.

This really is how you try to spend your offseason? trying to bash anything positive Bills-related? I'm not criticizing you in particular but people like you when I say, thank God I don't tailgate with you. :cry:

Assistant head coach is considered a promotion over a position coach. For example, http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/wire?sectio...&id=2946759

Kollar was promoted to AHC/DL with the Texans. http://www.houstontexans.com/team/coaches.asp

It may be the case that the Bills could not have matched this promotion, and it was a promotion, without having to do something with either Bobby April or Chuck Lester who have the Assistant Head Coach tags in Buffalo. April definitely has the tag, and IIRC they tagged Lester some time ago when some team came sniffing around after him.

In essence, it is a title given to a couple of non-head coaches so that the only way another team can hire them away without the first team's permission is to elevate that coach to the Head Coach job. In the NFL, another team can hire away your coaches by granting a promotion without the permission of the first team. In other words, if coach X has a contract with team A as a K coach, he can't turn around and sign another contract with team B as their K coach; but, if team B offers him a promotion, then that's a different story.

At any rate, the Bills didn't want to use or weren't able to use the tag to keep Kollar and part of that decision was that Kollar didn't want to stay and Dick didn't want to force him to stay if he didn't want to be here. (Not entirely unheard of; see Mike Mularkey and Dick LeBeau, for example.) Thankfully, the Bills signed Jauron to a 3 year extension, so he can't go anywhere. :cry:

I like the idea of having a former defensive coordinator working with our d-linemen. but please continue to just hate.

It's an ongoing problem with this team -- failure to spot a problem and DO something about it. Hell, we'd still have Fairchild if he hadn't been given that college job.

I doubt that.

Kollar to Houston

Different players have to be motivated differently. Bill Parcells was a master of that psychological art. Perhaps Kollar just tried the same tactics on everyone.

This really is how you try to spend your offseason? trying to bash anything positive Bills-related? I'm not criticizing you in particular but people like you when I say, thank God I don't tailgate with you. :cry:

I agree, offseason should be a time of great expectations. Why some people are football watchers at all mystifies me. If it makes you so cynical and upset why not just walk away?

If I were Parrish though, I would be less than thrilled with the FO treatment of the offseason.

If I were Parrish, I'd realize that being a special teams magician was not enough to hold a place down on the roster, even on a ST-oriented team like the Bills.

Also I would be looking over my shoulder and practice being a better WR because Stevie Johnson is proving himself to be more useful to the offense.

I agree, offseason should be a time of great expectations. Why some people are football watchers at all mystifies me. If it makes you so cynical and upset why not just walk away?

you got that right!

McCargo is a BUST !!......can he turn it around ?...anythings possible, the league is filled with success stories......he fell out of favor with his last D-line coach because he sucked....err, was ineffective. he was NEVER double teamed, he was easily handled by one blocker, he got zero "push". i think his main problem is STRENGTH/MUSCLE or lack thereof. that is fixable with the proper commitment to nutrition and training (and for some, HGH).....will he do it ?.....who knows. maybe he was injured, it was serious enough to nix a trade with indy. maybe he is motivated to prove he can play in this league and get another contract. i say he will NOT play like a first round pick (therefore a bust) and is still very likely to be traded or cut, the bills have tipped their hand, they don't want him, now all they are doing is trying to make him look and sound attractive to another team.

I like the idea of having a former defensive coordinator working with our d-linemen. but please continue to just hate.

Hate? What are you talking about, Dohguy? I explained that the title of Assistant Head Coach is a promotion. I explained that either the Bills couldn't or wouldn't match the promotion the Texans offered Kollar. Where's the "hate" in that?

Let's see, I guess you could be trying to put words in my mouth by reading into the fact that Mike Mularkey resigned on the Bills. Or that of Dick LeBeau high tailing it to Pittsburgh rather than signing his extension. Even if this were "hate", and it most definitely is not, these things absolutely, positively happened. They are undeniable. And, those things happened regardless of how any fans felt about the matter. Or maybe you are saying that "hating" is making light of Ralph Wilson jumping the gun last year and offering Dick Jauron a 3 year extension and pay raise in a new deal well before the results were in and just before the train flew off the tracks and down into the chasm -- the first to worst lunge. It's not any fan's "hate" that makes these events the reality that is the Buffalo Bills. It's not even really the fault of the dupes that sprinkle sugar on liberally and wish every move made was a major victory.

Hate? What are you talking about, Dohguy? I explained that the title of Assistant Head Coach is a promotion. I explained that either the Bills couldn't or wouldn't match the promotion the Texans offered Kollar. Where's the "hate" in that?

Let's see, I guess you could be trying to put words in my mouth by reading into the fact that Mike Mularkey resigned on the Bills. Or that of Dick LeBeau high tailing it to Pittsburgh rather than signing his extension. Even if this were "hate", and it most definitely is not, these things absolutely, positively happened. They are undeniable. And, those things happened regardless of how any fans felt about the matter. Or maybe you are saying that "hating" is making light of Ralph Wilson jumping the gun last year and offering Dick Jauron a 3 year extension and pay raise in a new deal just before the results were in and just before the train flew off the tracks and down into the chasm -- the first to worst lunge. It's not any fan's "hate" that makes these events the reality that is the Buffalo Bills. It's not even really the fault of the dupes that sprinkle sugar on liberally and wish every move made was a major victory.

It's true that the Texans slapped the "assistant head coach" title on Kollar to make it a promotion. And while the Bills may have wanted him to stay, it doesn't mean that he's better than, or even as good as, who they got to replace him.

McCargo is a bust. Guess we'll have to relearn that for another year.

There are guys over at another thread saying it wouldn't be so bad if JPL came back as our backup QB?

Is pointing out the idiocy of that also "hating"?

Pretend performance and quality and excellence matter, just for this season. It won't kill you.

Kollar to Houston

20 years as a DL coach and he is doing something right? I would say that he isn't doing something right or he would of been promoted to a coaching role more prominent then the DL coach.

In regards to McCargo turning the corner. Who knows? But I will say this, the fact that he has shown up to the team's facilities through out the last few months, Lifting weights, being in better shape than in any point in the last few years and the fact that he has trimmed down approximately 10 lbs is a sign that he is putting in the effort. In my experiences, people with talent that apply themselves usually encounter favorable results.

It's true that the Texans slapped the "assistant head coach" title on Kollar to make it a promotion. And while the Bills may have wanted him to stay, it doesn't mean that he's better than, or even as good as, who they got to replace him.

Good point. Who knows? The Bills may have gotten better, worse, or stayed about the same. New does not equate to better. Old does not equate to the root cause of the problem. A new DL coach might push the right buttons with McCargo or not.

20 years as a DL coach and he is doing something right? I would say that he isn't doing something right or he would of been promoted to a coaching role more prominent then the DL coach.

In regards to McCargo turning the corner. Who knows? But I will say this, the fact that he has shown up to the team's facilities through out the last few months, Lifting weights, being in better shape than in any point in the last few years and the fact that he has trimmed down approximately 10 lbs is a sign that he is putting in the effort. In my experiences, people with talent that apply themselves usually encounter favorable results.

Well said.

I'm still not clear on how a former first rounder who is not going to start (unless Williams or Stroud is injured) in 2009 can be anything but a bust.

The amazing thing is, people need to see a player completely bottom out before they'll throw in the towel. Losman is a fine example of a guy who people refused to admit was terrible. Unfortunately, it took the last few games of 08 for some fans to realize it. Now here's another first rounder in McCargo that hasn't performed in three seasons, and it's going to take the bitter end for some to see it.

You do realize that Turk Schonert has 12 years as a QB coach before being promoted to OC, right? He was on absolutely no one's list to be promoted to OC for any team until DJ came calling before the 08 season.

Some guys are best served as position coaches. Maybe they don't want to be coordinators or HC's, who have much more responsibility.

Howard Mudd was a position coach for more than 30 years in the NFL, late of the Colts. He's pretty darn good, but never aspired to be anything more than an OL coach.

I'm still not clear on how a former first rounder who is not going to start (unless Williams or Stroud is injured) in 2009 can be anything but a bust.

The amazing thing is, people need to see a player completely bottom out before they'll throw in the towel. Losman is a fine example of a guy who people refused to admit was terrible. Unfortunately, it took the last few games of 08 for some fans to realize it. Now here's another first rounder in McCargo that hasn't performed in three seasons, and it's going to take the bitter end for some to see it.

Sure, people hold out hope until the bitter end, but is that so terrible? Considering that nothing we say here will have any impact on what happens with McCargo, what's wrong with hanging on to even the shred of hope that he'll turn it around?

Sure, people hold out hope until the bitter end, but is that so terrible? Considering that nothing we say here will have any impact on what happens with McCargo, what's wrong with hanging on to even the shred of hope that he'll turn it around?

It's safer to be a pessimist. That way you never get disappointed and can only be pleasantly surprised.