Better prospect Nelson or Everett?

Nelson, easily.

He was considered by many to be the 2nd best TE in this draft behind Pettigrew (sometimes behind Jared Cook). In a DEEP TE class, he was slotted anywhere's from the late-1st (depending on how high Pettigrew went) to a late-2nd. It's still an absolute miracle to me he was available in the 4th.

Kevin Everett was the 2nd or 3rd best available TE in a pretty poor TE class in 2005. We took him in the 3rd which is about where he was slotted.

Funny, you should bring this up.

When I first saw Nelson on the field during rookie minicamps, he immediately reminded me of Everett. Same body frame, tall and muscular. Far too early for comparisons, and keep in mind, Everett blew out his knee during first minicamp practice.

On paper, though, Nelson had a more consistent body of work in college.

jw

Anyone wish to comment on the comparisons between the two. Thanks.

I also wonder how Derek Fine fits into the TE picture. In the games last year, Fine was not used all the time but looked like he could become an adequate TE. So it will be interesting to see the Nelson vs Fine competition. Hopefully, one of them takes firm charge of the TE spot and becomes a difference maker we have been so sorely lacking over the past several years.

Are you kidding me? Everett was a joke at tight end. He was a MAJOR reach in the 3rd round and had 2 career receptions. I remember being so upset with the Bills brass when they took him. They were hoping to strike gold with the then endless list of Miami prospects. He was average speed, average hands, plus size, below average blocker coming out and proved to not even help on special teams. Nelson is plus speed, plus hands, plus size. If Nelson turns out to be twice the player Everett was, I'll be disappointed.

It's not even close. Everett was a JuCo player who barely put-up decent stats there. In Miami he was barely used, although they had some good prospects in front of him in Shockey and KWII. That's not to say he couldn't have turned-into something, but his knee injury pretty much derailed his career from the start, and then he had the neck injury and it was over.

I also wonder how Derek Fine fits into the TE picture. In the games last year, Fine was not used all the time but looked like he could become an adequate TE. So it will be interesting to see the Nelson vs Fine competition. Hopefully, one of them takes firm charge of the TE spot and becomes a difference maker we have been so sorely lacking over the past several years.

fine is going to be the starter because of his all around game, probably with the hope that Nelson will improve as a blocker and become a full time starter. But I think Fine will be a very good #2 TE for years to come and you need 2 good TEs in today's NFL.

Are you kidding me? Everett was a joke at tight end. He was a MAJOR reach in the 3rd round and had 2 career receptions. I remember being so upset with the Bills brass when they took him. They were hoping to strike gold with the then endless list of Miami prospects. He was average speed, average hands, plus size, below average blocker coming out and proved to not even help on special teams. Nelson is plus speed, plus hands, plus size. If Nelson turns out to be twice the player Everett was, I'll be disappointed.

I tend to agree with this. Bills fan have a soft spot for KE because what happened to him, but as far as football goes, this guy was bust from the moment he stepped on the football field at One Bills Drive.

I find it interesting that Everett is once again open for criticism.

That said, it was clear the Bills draft Everett for what they thought they could turn him into, not what they thought he was. That is the opposite of the situation with Nelson. The Bills seem to feel Nelson can start right away; that was never the thought about Everett.

VABills, you went too low.