Ask Tim Graham, version 2.0

Lori

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Things are not going well. The housing market in Buffalo is hot, with properties getting multiple offers days after they hit the market. With me being so far away, I don't stand a chance. By the time my agent alerts me to something and I would have a chance to take a look at it, it's sold.

That's a great sign for Buffalo, a bad one for me.

Wow, I'm stunned. What changed to make Buffalo such a hot market?

PTR

Tim,

Once you move back to Buffalo, are you concerned some random board member (Dean or Beerball as an example) will take a late night ride over to your house and Corey McIntyre you?

Tim,

Once you move back to Buffalo, are you concerned some random board member (Dean or Beerball as an example) will take a late night ride over to your house and Corey McIntyre you?

All of those anonymous phone calls I used to receive when I was covering Joe Mesi couldn't compare to that. I was convinced for a while there I was going to come home one day and find a brick through my front window or my dog dead.

I nicked that stat off Simon. I trust Moderators don't go around making sh-t up.

Tim, if there's any way you could find out if Schobel was indeed leading defensive linemen in tackles when he went down, that would be amazing. Its a weird question though, if not, don't sweat it. :devil:

:w00t:

All of those anonymous phone calls I used to receive when I was covering Joe Mesi couldn't compare to that. I was convinced for a while there I was going to come home one day and find a brick through my front window or my dog dead.

Niiiice. From true believers of the "Third Franchise," I take it.

Tim: love the new Mug Shot on your ESPN page - ha ha ha. At first glance, I thought I had the wrong page.

Any Pisa news? Also, how are Walker and Butler doing at LT and RT respectively?

There was a great wisecrack about HGH, and him switching from S to LB, in one of the comments on the blog. I was going to respond with something about wings and beer being the substances of choice, but thought better of it ...

I still kinda like the serious pose a little better, but either one's an upgrade from the high school senior picture. :devil:

(Sez me, who resists any and all attempts by our photog to get a shot of me.)

Did you actually get to watch any of practice in Foxborough, Tim, or is Fortress Belichick in full lockdown mode? I'm very curious to see how that D looks without Vrabel's steadying influence.

Things are not going well. The housing market in Buffalo is hot, with properties getting multiple offers days after they hit the market. With me being so far away, I don't stand a chance. By the time my agent alerts me to something and I would have a chance to take a look at it, it's sold.

That's a great sign for Buffalo, a bad one for me.

Ask the Bills for a heads up on cuts and try to buy their houses. :w00t:

Wow, I'm stunned. What changed to make Buffalo such a hot market?

PTR

TO

Tim: love the new Mug Shot on your ESPN page - ha ha ha. At first glance, I thought I had the wrong page.

Any Pisa news? Also, how are Walker and Butler doing at LT and RT respectively?

And the new winner of the Mike Golic look alike contest is....

I nicked that stat off Simon. I trust Moderators don't go around making sh-t up.

Tim, if there's any way you could find out if Schobel was indeed leading defensive linemen in tackles when he went down, that would be amazing. Its a weird question though, if not, don't sweat it. :w00t:

According to tackle #'s at NFL.com Schobel had 18 solo tackles in the 5 games he played for an average of 3.6 tackles/game. I know that when I looked the number up in Week 4 or 5 he was definitely #1 in the league at that point. Extrapolated over a full season that would be about 58 tackles.

For comparison purposes we can look at the league leaders at the end of the year.

#1 Shaun Rogers - 61 tackles

#2 Trent Cole - 59 tackles

#3 Justin Tuck - 52 tackles

So while he was leading the league when he got hurt, he would have finished 3rd if he'd maintained that pace. I guess the only conclusions we can draw are that Schoebel sucks and that VABills is still an asshat.

According to tackle #'s at NFL.com Schobel had 18 solo tackles in the 5 games he played for an average of 3.6 tackles/game. I know that when I looked the number up in Week 4 or 5 he was definitely #1 in the league at that point. Extrapolated over a full season that would be about 58 tackles.

For comparison purposes we can look at the league leaders at the end of the year.

#1 Shaun Rogers - 61 tackles

#2 Trent Cole - 59 tackles

#3 Justin Tuck - 52 tackles

So while he was leading the league when he got hurt, he would have finished 3rd if he'd maintained that pace. I guess the only conclusions we can draw are that Schoebel sucks and that VABills is still an asshat.

So now only solo tackles count. I guess all those other tackles where it takes two guys to bring down a running back don't count? Of course Shobel only had one of those so it was convienent to ignore the full tackle stat.

It does skew you love for a Bills player when you realize that Cole had 77 total, Rogers 76, and Smith 73. So really averaged about 3 per game, where those other three guys were over 4.5 per game. Cole and Smith are closer in comparison though since they are both DE's. They also had 7 and 9 sacks, so about a half sack a game, where Shobel had 1 in 5 games for about 1/5 of a sack per.

By my watch makes Shobel about 2/3's as productive.

So now only solo tackles count. I guess all those other tackles where it takes two guys to bring down a running back don't count? Of course Shobel only had one of those so it was convienent to ignore the full tackle stat.

If you want to count instances of guys jumping on a pile late, that's your business. I don't think anybody would be surprised if you showed a preference to marginalize reality in favor of being a contrarian asshat seemingly for the sole purpose of being a contrarian asshat.

Tim, if there's any way you could find out if Schobel was indeed leading defensive linemen in tackles when he went down, that would be amazing. Its a weird question though, if not, don't sweat it. :w00t:

Virtually impossible to know because tackles aren't an official stat. Each team records its own tackle numbers, and this is a pet peeve of mine. It shouldn't be that difficult to define a solo tackle and an assist, but the NFL has been unable to do it and leaves it up to each team.

NFL.com does accumulate tackles as they're listed in the stat packet at the end of each game. That's where they get their numbers that people are quoting above, but those stats are obsolete just a couple days after the game when the coaching staff releases its tally.

So for me to know where Schobel ranked at any given time, I would need the media notes from each of the 32 teams for that specific week.

FYI, when I write about a defensive player and list his defensive stats, I use the team figures, not the NFL figures.

Niiiice. From true believers of the "Third Franchise," I take it.

There was a great wisecrack about HGH, and him switching from S to LB, in one of the comments on the blog. I was going to respond with something about wings and beer being the substances of choice, but thought better of it ...

I still kinda like the serious pose a little better, but either one's an upgrade from the high school senior picture. :devil:

(Sez me, who resists any and all attempts by our photog to get a shot of me.)

Did you actually get to watch any of practice in Foxborough, Tim, or is Fortress Belichick in full lockdown mode? I'm very curious to see how that D looks without Vrabel's steadying influence.

I like this photo a lot more than the other one. I'm actually about the same weight in both photos, but I think I've redistributed it. I actually used to be able to convince people I was a college high jumper. It's tougher these days. They think I threw the shot.

As for Pats practice, I saw the whole thing. The NFL mandates at least four OTAs be open to the media and that was their second occasion, the first with Brady present.

We got to watch the entire 90 minutes.

As for how the defense looked, it wasn't the type of practice where you could tell much. Much was done at half speed. Players were getting their terminology and gaps down. Of course, there's no contact.

Hey, everybody ... I want to invite you to my new Facebook page. While this was something ESPN constructed for me, I will use this as my personal page.

So drop and say hello. I'm going to try to have the same type of fun there as I do in my chats. We'll talk everything from beers to wing joints to video game to favorite Simpsons episodes to music ... and a lot of football.

http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?sid=d0...&ref=search

I also have a Twitter account for those who want to see what posts on my blog the moment I hit the publish button:

http://twitter.com/espn_afceast

If you want to count instances of guys jumping on a pile late, that's your business. I don't think anybody would be surprised if you showed a preference to marginalize reality in favor of being a contrarian asshat seemingly for the sole purpose of being a contrarian asshat.

I won't step on Tim's thread with personal attacks, like you.