Breakout Team Predictions for 2009

Detroit Lions - they've added some really solid players to this team. Starting on defense, they VASTLY improved their secondary adding Phillip Buchanon, Anthony Henry, and Luis Delmas who all have big play potential. The linebacking core will be VERY solid with the additions of Julian Peterson and Larry Foote to play alongside Sims, and not to mention a solid player in Jordan Dizon coming off of an injury. Their d-line is a bit suspect, but they have some young up and coming guys in Fluellen - DT, Avril - DE, and Sammie Lee Hill - DT to play with their solid DE DeWayne White.

Then take a look at their offense: they added some very good receiving threats in Pettigrew, Curry (underrated), B. Johnson, and Derrick Williams out of Penn State. They got the big armed QB they were looking for, and don't need to ask too much out of him (he actually reminds me a lot of Kerry Collins in Tennessee, ironically). Their o-line is becoming more solid each year, and should be able to protect Stafford/Culpepper much better this year.

I like this teams chances. Prediction: 9-7.

Cincinnati Bengals - Carson is back, and he's got some serious receiving threats in Johnson, Coles, Henry, and now a solid TE in Coffman out of Mizzou. The o-line is improved with the additions of A. Smith and Luigs. The only question mark is their RB crew. Benson is a decent option, but they need more depth. I could see them adding someone like E. James or T. Jones.

The defense has seen just as big of an improvement. They added Maualuga into a LB mix that gets Rivers back from an injury. They stole Michael Johnson in the 3rd round of the draft, and they can now rotate him with Odom, Geathers, and Rucker. The middle should be solid with Sims and the addition of Tank Johnson. Their secondary is pretty darn good too with Hall and Joseph on the corners, and a decent pair of safeties also (addition of R. Williams helps alongside Ndukwe).

They'll improve their 4-11 record to 10-6.

THE BUFFALO BILLS - I don't need to fill out this description. Prediction: 12-4.

Three teams that many NFL fans associate with losing will break out next season. I have a hunch.

Other notable teams: Texans, Raiders, Packers, and Seahawks.

I think Miami will drop off a bit this year, and I think the Jets will flounder after losing Favre. Pats on top of the division most likely with the Bills a close second. I've been down on these guys for maybe the last 10 years, but I actually believe in these guys this year.

12-4.. are you crazy?

I will bet you my life savings they don't go 12-4

...says the man without money

If you bet yours that the bills won't go 12-4, more power to you. I'm not willing to bet my life savings on ANYTHING, but I wouldn't bet against the Bills!

I had a feeling the Bills would make his list..

You gotta wear the goggles sometimes. I really do believe in the group we've got.

Jets: lost Favre, Coles, Elam and didn't find very good replacements for Coles or Elam. Sanchez is a rookie, and I see him struggling for a while. New coach, new system... not looking great for them.

Miami: caught some teams off guard with the wildcat hoopla last season, and got a great contribution out of Pennington. Teams are planning for this offense now, and Pennington knows he's on his way out the door. For some reason, I see them struggling this year.

Pats: they're going to be good. I think we are good enough now to split the 2 games we play this season though.

Yeah i like the Bengals to have a good year. Carson Palmer as well as the additions to the offense should take them to the playoffs. I like the defense which was not bad towards the end of last year and they improved the defense as well. I also see the Browns and Ravens to finish in the 6-10 to 7-9 range. They have a tough task in playing the Steelers twice but they might grab the wild card.

As far as the lions they will be improved they will become a 6-10 to 7-9 team which i know we think is bad but Detroit just want to get out from the gutter and I think that Culpepper should start for them for most of the year. Not only should stafford take some time to get better from the mental stand point but if you play the veteran for most of the year it sends a good message to the team that they want to do as much as possible to win.

One man's life savings is another man's breakfast. Of course they're worth something. Although, it would probably have to be some sort of interesting trade.

Another man's breakfast???? These things are 10 years old - what's the half-life of a corn flake?

link

I guess the Lions have a 'breakout' season if they go 9-7.

To me the Texans are the team to watch. They will win the AFC South this year.

They have built a very strong defensive front 7. The Offense all rides on Schaubb. I can really see Indy falling off. Jax has all kinds of issues, Ten. wont have the same type of season. Haynesworth being gone is big, and Collins returns to earth.

Ok, I'll play this game. Here's my 3 break out teams for 2009.

I think that New Orleans has a shot of being in the NFC Conference title game. They paid an awful lot of attention to the defensive side of the ball from hiring Greggo, loading up the secondary and having an offense that can put up a bunch of points at any given time. Last year's record was 8-8 with half their losses coming against division rivals (2-4). Their division is ripe for the taking with Tampa, and Atlanta to a certain degree, in transition. Carolina is the biggest obstacle but a split with them is very realistic. I'm predicting a 13-3 record for 2009.

Here comes the Raiders! I don't know about play-offs but if they can improve on last year's 5-11 record to a winning one for the 2009 season then that's a victory in itself. They have been playing good defense the last couple of years and the kid () that everybody laughed at on ESPN during the draft will have egg on their face once again because he's a great fit in Raider Nation. If Russell can't be physically fit and produce this year then Garcia will. Say what you want but that ex-CFLer is a fiery little guy will bring more than his share of competitive juices to that inept offense. A wild card berth is not out of the question for this sleeper but I'm not sure if a 9-7 record gets it done.

As long as Singletary can keep his pants on I'll pull for the San Francisco 49'ers to threaten for the title in a division that is vunerable. I think that QB Shaun Hill is going to settle down and solidify his position and lead this team to double digit victories. The first year that Frank Gore was a 49'er he walked out to the parking lot after a loss and saw the rest of the San Fran players going on about their business like it was no big deal. He cried. Gotta love the heart of this guy. I can't think of any current player who has overcomed more injury, adversity and heartache than this guy and for that alone this player provides his team with 3 wins by himself. Good bye to 7-9 and hello to 11-5 and the NFC West crown.

You gotta wear the goggles sometimes. I really do believe in the group we've got.

Jets: lost Favre, Coles, Elam and didn't find very good replacements for Coles or Elam. Sanchez is a rookie, and I see him struggling for a while. New coach, new system... not looking great for them.

Miami: caught some teams off guard with the wildcat hoopla last season, and got a great contribution out of Pennington. Teams are planning for this offense now, and Pennington knows he's on his way out the door. For some reason, I see them struggling this year.

Pats: they're going to be good. I think we are good enough now to split the 2 games we play this season though.

I think we will be much better this season and should finish second in the division...

NE though has all the weapons they did in 2007 and then some. They added Galloway and Fred Taylor to the mix too. This is the same team that dropped 40 points like it was nothing on just about everyone. As long as Tom Bradys knee is healthy, they are the team to beat in all of the NFL this year. I think we will go 4-2 in our division with both losses to NE.

12-4 I think is a possibility, but it will be tough and will need TE to really step up. I think we will win at least 10 games assuming TE actually gets his s**t together and has a a good year.

I think we will be much better this season and should finish second in the division...

NE though has all the weapons they did in 2007 and then some. They added Galloway and Fred Taylor to the mix too. This is the same team that dropped 40 points like it was nothing on just about everyone. As long as Tom Bradys knee is healthy, they are the team to beat in all of the NFL this year. I think we will go 4-2 in our division with both losses to NE.

12-4 I think is a possibility, but it will be tough and will need TE to really step up. I think we will win at least 10 games assuming TE actually gets his s**t together and has a a good year.

how about McCargo goes for Brady's knee on the first snap of the first game and after that the division opens up?