McCargo

Chris Brown on BB.com

3. Chris,

What’s the status on John McCargo? How’s his back? Has he been working out in Buffalo? If so how has he looked in his work outs? Do you think he can overcome his injuries and make a jump in his game this year?

-Mike

CB: McCargo has been one of the most frequent attendees of the offseason conditioning program. He’s healthy and it seems as though he has really taken a new approach to the game, which is encouraging. I saw him the other day and he looks very fit and has noticeably muscled up.

I really hope this is a year in which he emerges. He’s got a new line coach now, which I think is a big factor knowing he and Kollar never got along very well.

I had a feeling that a new defensive line coach might be good for this kid. We shall see. I hope that he can consistently show some of the flashes of ability we saw in 2007.

Chris Brown on BB.com

I had a feeling that a new defensive line coach might be good for this kid. We shall see. I hope that he can consistently show some of the flashes of ability we saw in 2007.

This is a very positive indication that he could have a much better year. I am a big believer that work ethic contributes to success, and if you couple that with blessed physical talent, then that particular player's ceiling becomes suddenly much higher. The fact that he is conditioning himself, not just physically but mentally as well by showing up to the Bills facilities is positive.

This is very encouraging. :censored:

He was by far the biggest disappointment of last season because he was really starting to come on in 2007. But it may have been more injuried than we knew about. and a back injury is probably the worst injury for a d-linemen.

I've always been a McCargo supporter but I will limit my expectations. Still, it'd be great to see somethign out of him because he has the ability.

Very good news. Hopefully, we can refer to the non-trade as a great move one day.

Just what I was thinking....sometimes things happen for a reason, and I'd like to believe this was one of them!

I see the Bills keeping a probable 4 DTs out of a probable 8 DL players for the rotation we are going to keep. McCargo is likely the 4th DT behind Stroud, Williams, and Johnson but a crowded field at DE means someone on last year's roster is going bye-bye as I suspect Schobel, Kelsay, Maybin and Denney are likely keepers.

Particularly as we seem committed to a rotation, folks like Denney who have demonstrated the ability to swing between DE and DT have a leg up. McCargo will likely end up competing with guys on last years roster like Ellis and Bryan for the 4th DT slot and to the extent any of these players demonstrates an ability to play both DE and DT credibly he is more likely to survive the battle.

The difficult thing is I do not remember seeing much flexibility in how these 3 players demonstrated skills in being used flexibly or proved to be such a monster in play at their position that I see much of a leg up for any of these three. If Maybin can launch an even more devastating pass rush from OLB and is strong enough on run plays from OLB (I think he can do this as he demonstrated good strength playing the strong side against a TE block last year but also can defend the pass so he is not a liability at OLB this would give the Bills some flexibility that they might not need the 4th DT to be a swing guy.

However, I would not be shocked if a recovered from injury Ellis proves to be such a strong situational pass rusher that he win the 4th DE slot and Denny gets the 4th DT slot as a swing guy and McCargo becomes the odd man out.

I too had given up on him. I know teams can miss on a draft pick, but it was shocking to me that we traded up for this guy just to see him fail so miserably. Hopefully he's healthy and he can live up to his potential and be a contributer to our DLine.

The outcomes:

1. The Bills' management knew he would be healthy, and very motivated, and will live up to his collegiate billing. That's why they didn't draft any DTs, work the FA market for one, work a trade, and are happy with the the rest of the current DT corps.

2. Their assessment is completely wrong.

:censored:

Chris Brown on BB.com

Funny, they said almost exactly the same thing about Mike Williams, before he was cut. I saw MW right befofe training camp that year, here on the UT campus (he was attenting classes) and he looked like he was in great shape. He told me he was really pumped for the season, and was "rady to go"...fwiw

Getting in great shape and working hard has been something McCargo has never been known for. So I'm hoping that the light bulb has turned on for him, this guys potential is unreal. A big man who has that quick of a first step is next to impossible to find and him actually getting built while shedding that fat will make him that much quicker.