Niners only traded with Carolina because we took Byrd

Hope Yobouty is as successful as Hanks. Hanks had an excellent career.

There was discussion in the other thread about Byrd. As we should, we debated/theorized over whether he was the best pick at #42. As stated before, most everyone is good with this pick, myself included, all debating aside.

The reasons to like this pick are many. Having that many interceptions (17) and passes defensed (53) as a three year starter (39 games) is excellent production. He was an excellent punt returner (just watched Oregon-Purdue on ESPN classics) with that 87 yard punt return TD versus Purdue. He had an INT in the 2006 Las Vegas Bowl, 2 INTs in the 2007 Sun Bowl, and a 39 yard INT return in the 2008 Holiday Bowl. In other words, in the big games, he played big.

Even more so, as a young player he studied with the great Aeneas Williams. Byrd's father Gill is a two-time Pro Bowler and holds the San Diego Chargers record for career INTs (42).

He has the pedigree (much like Chase Coffman, Clay Matthews, Terry Robiskie) of having a father who excelled in the NFL.

The only knock on him is his 40 time which was about the same as Jerry Rice's, 4.7

There's no doubt he was a solid pick where we got him.

I'm not going to lie, when the Byrd pick came in I almost broke my brain trying to understand WTF was going on but after the dust has settled now I think it was a nice pick. Brain still hurts though.

...and Mike Williams was viewed as a solid top 5 pick several years back. There are a lot of teams who like certain players every year. Some make it. Some bust. Until he puts on a uniform he is just another 2nd round pick.

Its a wonder they even bothered to turn a card in all weekend. Whats the point? But hey, I've always been a toilet bowl/ half-full kinda guy.

I have to admit I didn't know much about him when we drafted him.....but after doing my own research and getting opinions this seems to be a Buffalo Bill kind of guy....the first time he comes up and sticks somebody from that safety spot (and he has excellent size to do so and that mentality) he will become an instant fan favorite.....

Playing safety is not all about speed....it is about taking proper angles and having good instincts. Often when a safety is fast they rely on that speed too much instead of playing fundamentally sound.....I think that is what you are getting with Byrd....a technique sound guy who will hit everything like a truck and has good hands.....

Who WOULDN"T want a guy like that on this team?

...and Mike Williams was viewed as a solid top 5 pick several years back. There are a lot of teams who like certain players every year. Some make it. Some bust. Until he puts on a uniform he is just another 2nd round pick.

Amen - 50% of the players taken in the first round are not with their drafting team after three years and a significant percentage are out of the NFL all together. This is why I support a rookie salary cap and slotting system. It is insane to me that the vets do not cry foul when some unproven college player collects millions before ever stepping on to the pro field. If nothting else the rookie contractsd should be heavily incentive laden.

I sure would rather have a #1 in 2010 than Byrd, that's for sure.

who's to say the panther didn't offer the Bills the same deal to move uo to #42 to snatch Everette Brown. I'm sure the 49ers weren't the only team fielding calls from the Panthers looking to move up. With as many holes as the bills had I find it hard to believe they would have been willing to lose a pick even if it was for a #1 next year.

I sure would rather have a #1 in 2010 than Byrd, that's for sure.

I said the same thing in another thread. One things for sure: In three years, the Bills, 9ers, and Panthers are all going to look on this draft and at the players picked with those respective picks (42, 43, next year1st) and one or two teams will be pissed. Hopefully it's not us.

I have to admit I didn't know much about him when we drafted him.....but after doing my own research and getting opinions this seems to be a Buffalo Bill kind of guy....

I did not know he was a gun toting thug - - <_<

Well said.

Amen - 50% of the players taken in the first round are not with their drafting team after three years and a significant percentage are out of the NFL all together. This is why I support a rookie salary cap and slotting system. It is insane to me that the vets do not cry foul when some unproven college player collects millions before ever stepping on to the pro field. If nothting else the rookie contractsd should be heavily incentive laden.

Many vets do not cry foul because they realize that the market forcing an excessive allocation of $ in the crapshoot known as the NFL forms a basis for driving up vet salaries. When a Mike Williams signs for far more than he is worth because someone made a stupid #4 draft choice it forms the basis for Jason Peters being able to get a huge deal from Philly for him to play LT.

If you take a small view of the situation then every dollar paid to a rookie comes out of a vets pocket at contract time. However as smart folks like Pete Rozelle and Gene Upshaw realized the key is to take a larger view and all the ships rise with the tide of speculative bad contracts for rookies.

Hope Yobouty is as successful as Hanks. Hanks had an excellent career.

If he is, you can bet your ass that Dicko is gonna start plucking all the long-necked DBs from the draft as fast as possible. Might as well make it a damn combine stat.

"The beauty of the 49ers' draft was getting an extra first-round pick in 2010 (by virtue of a trade with Carolina), when there will be three top quarterbacks and good first-round depth for defensive tackles. The 49ers were hoping cornerback Jairus Byrd was going to fall to them at No. 42. Once he was gone, the 49ers were considering taking center Max Unger. The 49ers have enough to get by on the offensive line. The value of the 2010 first-rounder could outweigh the addition of a good interior offensive lineman."

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/columns/stor...&id=4135040

Setting aside that he meant 43, he implies that the Niners valued Byrd over a first-rounder next year.

Actually they valued a first rounder next year over Unger.