Niners only traded with Carolina because we took Byrd

"The beauty of the 49ers' draft was getting an extra first-round pick in 2010 (by virtue of a trade with Carolina), when there will be three top quarterbacks and good first-round depth for defensive tackles. The 49ers were hoping cornerback Jairus Byrd was going to fall to them at No. 42. Once he was gone, the 49ers were considering taking center Max Unger. The 49ers have enough to get by on the offensive line. The value of the 2010 first-rounder could outweigh the addition of a good interior offensive lineman."

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/columns/stor...&id=4135040

Setting aside that he meant 43, he implies that the Niners valued Byrd over a first-rounder next year.

Setting aside that he meant 43, he implies that the Niners valued Byrd over a first-rounder next year.

...and Mike Williams was viewed as a solid top 5 pick several years back. There are a lot of teams who like certain players every year. Some make it. Some bust. Until he puts on a uniform he is just another 2nd round pick.

...and Mike Williams was viewed as a solid top 5 pick several years back. There are a lot of teams who like certain players every year. Some make it. Some bust. Until he puts on a uniform he is just another 2nd round pick.

I was wondering why these Corn Flakes tasted funny, no urine. Thanks!

The same exact thing can be said about every other 2nd round choice that has ever been selected.

I think the point is that there are other teams that valued him highly as well, I see it more as a feeling of reinforcement of our selection.

The same exact thing can be said about every other 2nd round choice that has ever been selected.

I think the point is that there are other teams that valued him highly as well, I see it more as a feeling of reinforcement of our selection.

Maybe the Bills got wind of the 49ers interest and took him before they could...or it was just a lucky coincidence. In any case, Byrd looks good on paper and film, but performing in the NFL will be a whole new experience. I hope we found a gem to make up for a lack of OT talent/depth.

Youboty has that same look! :wallbash:

Hope Yobouty is as successful as Hanks. Hanks had an excellent career.

There was discussion in the other thread about Byrd. As we should, we debated/theorized over whether he was the best pick at #42. As stated before, most everyone is good with this pick, myself included, all debating aside.

The reasons to like this pick are many. Having that many interceptions (17) and passes defensed (53) as a three year starter (39 games) is excellent production. He was an excellent punt returner (just watched Oregon-Purdue on ESPN classics) with that 87 yard punt return TD versus Purdue. He had an INT in the 2006 Las Vegas Bowl, 2 INTs in the 2007 Sun Bowl, and a 39 yard INT return in the 2008 Holiday Bowl. In other words, in the big games, he played big.

Even more so, as a young player he studied with the great Aeneas Williams. Byrd's father Gill is a two-time Pro Bowler and holds the San Diego Chargers record for career INTs (42).

He has the pedigree (much like Chase Coffman, Clay Matthews, Terry Robiskie) of having a father who excelled in the NFL.

The only knock on him is his 40 time which was about the same as Jerry Rice's, 4.7

There's no doubt he was a solid pick where we got him.