Bills Think Nelson Can Become A Great Blocker

Great article. :unsure:

Linkage

"What I noticed at the Senior Bowl was he competed in the run game," said Bills tight ends coach Charlie Coiner. "That was a rare feat for tight ends coming out this year. There were maybe five or six that really competed in the run game. He was one of them. He didn't win every battle because of his size and [lack of] strength right now. But he competed and that was enough based on his athletic ability in the pass game."

"I'm willing to buy into that," said Nelson. "I'm always trying to work and get better to improve my blocking skills. ... I love working at blocking. It's something I want to improve on."

Linkage

"What I noticed at the Senior Bowl was he competed in the run game," said Bills tight ends coach Charlie Coiner. "That was a rare feat for tight ends coming out this year. There were maybe five or six that really competed in the run game. He was one of them. He didn't win every battle because of his size and [lack of] strength right now. "What I noticed at the Senior Bowl was he competed in the run game," said Bills tight ends coach Charlie Coiner.

"I'm willing to buy into that," said Nelson. "I'm always trying to work and get better to improve my blocking skills. ... I love working at blocking. It's something I want to improve on."

That, or the coaches at the Senior Bowl told him to keep his hands to himself, be quiet, and try to not to get in other peoples' way...

Were I his HC, this Coiner fellow would be in my office for a discussion - pronto. :P

That, or the coaches at the Senior Bowl told him to keep his hands to himself, be quiet, and try to not to get in other peoples' way...

Were I his HC, this Coiner fellow would would be in my office for a discussion - pronto.

Huh?

Huh?

One...

"He didn't win every battle because of his size and [lack of] strength right now. But he competed and that was enough based on his athletic ability in the pass game."

May as well send an e-mail to the competition that we have a project on our hands...Oh, and by the way, think of him more as a receiver. When he's in, look for a pass.

Two...

This person is the position coach. Who should protect his new little chicks, not let them wander off to peep to the eager ears of the press to corraberate:

One...

"He didn't win every battle because of his size and [lack of] strength right now. But he competed and that was enough based on his athletic ability in the pass game."

May as well send an e-mail to the competition that we have a project on our hands...Oh, and by the way, think of him more as a receiver. When he's in, look for a pass.

Two...

This person is the position coach. Who should protect his new little chicks, not let them wander into the eager hands of the press to corraberate:

I don't think it's any secret that Nelson isn't a great blocker right now. Most of the TE's in the draft aren't. I doubt the Bills start him at TE (i.e. in 1-TE sets) this year, and instead use him in 2-TE sets.

Blocking can be taught. Being 6'5" and 243#, running a 4.52, and having great hands, cannot.

I hear what your saying VOR, but you can't just assume he will become a decent blocker. Blocking itself, is a skill set that is not always just rewarded on effort. Some players are naturally better at blocking. Just like some are naturally more gifted at catching. I often read posts that overlook the importance of blocking at the TE, WR, and RB positions. It's easy to say grab this guy and just school him up on blocking. You never hear, grab this guy and school him up on recieving. Not much different, IMO.

That's not to say that Nelson won't ever become a good blocking TE. Players strengthen their abilities all the time and he seems to recognize the fact he will need to block in this offense. If blocking was such a simple skill to teach, why does the league put such a premium on o-linemen?

I hear what your saying VOR, but you can't just assume he will become a decent blocker. Blocking itself, is a skill set that is not always just rewarded on effort. Some players are naturally better at blocking. Just like some are naturally more gifted at catching. I often read posts that overlook the importance of blocking at the TE, WR, and RB positions. It's easy to say grab this guy and just school him up on blocking. You never hear, grab this guy and school him up on recieving. Not much different, IMO.

That's not to say that Nelson won't ever become a good blocking TE. Players strengthen their abilities all the time and he seems to recognize the fact he will need to block in this offense. If blocking was such a simple skill to teach, why does the league put such a premium on o-linemen?

I don't think I'm out of line when I say that Nelson should be able to become a "decent," if not effective, blocker, if he works at it hard enough. I won't however claim that he will become a great/dominant blocker. And OL should be the latter whereas TE's are also receivers. But even if he doesn't become decent or effective, his receiving skills can surely help the Bills. There are a lot of receiving TE's who aren't great blockers who help out their teams.

I don't think it's any secret that Nelson isn't a great blocker right now. Most of the TE's in the draft aren't. I doubt the Bills start him at TE (i.e. in 1-TE sets) this year, and instead use him in 2-TE sets.

That's not the point.

The point being you should captain your club like a warship on the main, keeping your own evaluations of your capabilities to yourself, and let your foes and observers speculate as much as they like, based on whatever they like.

It's a philosophy.

That's not the point.

The point being you should captain your club like a warship on the main, keeping your own evaluations of your capabilities to yourself, and let your foes and observers speculate as much as they like, based on whatever they like.

It's a philosophy.

Aye mate. Me thinks ye hit the cask of rum a might to heavy today.

I don't think I'm out of line when I say that Nelson should be able to become a "decent," if not effective, blocker, if he works at it hard enough. I won't however claim that he will become a great/dominant blocker. And OL should be the latter whereas TE's are also receivers. But even if he doesn't become decent or effective, his receiving skills can surely help the Bills. There are a lot of receiving TE's who aren't great blockers who help out their teams.

I agree with you for the most part. Nelson should be a nice addition to the team. His recieving skills seem to be alot better than what we have seen from the position over the last few years. I don't think it's a stretch that he could become a serviceable blocker, either. I was just responding to your statement that "blocking can be taught'. I just don't think it's that simple. To me, blocking is not an easier skill to just aquire. I don't see much difference in blocking and other skill sets needed to be successful in the NFL. You either have it or you don't.

Fortunately, blocking is a basic skill utilized at every level of football. I'm sure he is familiar with the basics and can build on what he knows. It's not like we are asking Levitre to learn how to run routes. If he never learns to be an effective blocker he could still be an effective weapon. To be more than that he needs to be able to block.

Linkage

"What I noticed at the Senior Bowl was he competed in the run game," said Bills tight ends coach Charlie Coiner. "That was a rare feat for tight ends coming out this year. There were maybe five or six that really competed in the run game. He was one of them. He didn't win every battle because of his size and [lack of] strength right now. But he competed and that was enough based on his athletic ability in the pass game."

Excuse me, but where in all of those quotes are the words "great blocker"?

But cincy, all 32 teams evaluated Nelson prior to the draft - and one of the reasons he may have fallen was that lack of blocking ability to this point. That's not something that isn't known by the teams; if anything the things that they present to the public are things that may be common knowledge to the NFL at large but may be unknown to the common fan.

One more thing - notice that the writer added the "lack of" to the quote, not Coiner.

But cincy, all 32 teams evaluated Nelson prior to the draft - and one of the reasons he may have fallen was that lack of blocking ability to this point. That's not something that isn't known by the teams; if anything the things that they present to the public are things that may be common knowledge to the NFL at large but may be unknown to the common fan.

One more thing - notice that the writer added the "lack of" to the quote, not Coiner.

I realize that Nelson's pluses and negatives are common knowledge.

Again - my point is that I will not have my coaches adding to or subtracting from common knowledge, such as it may, by who ever perceives it

I've expressed this several times. It is a philosophy, a strategy. I can't add anything more.

That's not the point.

It's a philosophy.

Cinci

Did you stop to think that maybe that is exactly what they are doing....perhaps Nelson IS a better blocker then advertised and they are putting out missinformation in the other direction.

Just saying.

That's not the point.

It's a philosophy.

I think you're reading too much into it.

I fail to see how Nelson not being a great blocker hurts the offense so much, considering he's a receiving threat? As it stands, teams will be loathe to put 8 in the box, with Evans, TO, and Reed at the WR positions. Now the insert Nelson at TE and teams will need to cover him with a LB or S, probably set a little further from the LOS than he would against a slower TE. On a run to the other side, there is no issue. On a run to his side, Nelson gets in the defender's way and allows the OL and RB to do their jobs. Or the defense says "it's the rookie TE who can't block, it's obviously a pass," they play nickel but the Bills run and have win matchup that way.

Well of course they are going to say that. No team is ever going to say well he sucks and we will be lucky if he is an average blocker. I think that nelson with given time to add some muscle to his frame and work at blocking could become a good blocker at best very good. but as for this year i think if he turns into a respectable blocker by the second half of the season than i will be happy

So yeah a team is going to have a good maybe even inflated view of their own talent. Now if another team or scout from another team said that than thats a headline

That's not the point.

It's a philosophy.

"Never tell anyone outside the family what you are thinking..."

Blocking can be taught. Being 6'5" and 243#, running a 4.52, and having great hands, cannot.

Blocking can't be taught. Unless the guy REALLY wants it. Nelson really does seem to want it. 90% of the guys who can't block can't because they're physically incapable or mentally not tough enough. Nelson has a possibility of being both physically and mentally tough enough.

Gotta love it. Let's hope it happens for him.

Blocking can't be taught. Unless the guy REALLY wants it. Nelson really does seem to want it. 90% of the guys who can't block can't because they're physically incapable or mentally not tough enough. Nelson has a possibility of being both physically and mentally tough enough.

Gotta love it. Let's hope it happens for him.

I think that's true of every position.

I think this TE, like all the other players coming out of college, has no secrets about his abilities. Every team in the NFL will know, according to their scouts, what a players strengths and weaknesses are. That said, I agree that our coaches should use a little more discretion in discussing players and schemes and such (No Huddle being advertised). Sure, most teams will know enough already, but we're not good enough yet to telegraph our plans, so I'd like to see a secretive approach more. And for this players blocking skills - we didn't draft him for blocking. Whatever he can add to that the better, but we wanted him because he's fast and can catch the ball. We're looking for our own Gonz, or Gates.

I'm sorry, it doesn't literally say that. I guess I embellished it a bit because I'm a fan. I guess it should have said "good" blocker. <_<

Sorry Fagen, but I saw that headline, and it threw me. Great to me means an A; good a B. I really like this kid, and given his work ethic, I hope he develops into a "good" blocker. Give me a guy with his offensive skills AND a good blocker; damn we've needed that at TE for a long time. We've had too many "great" blockers at TE over the past 10 years....

Most of the elite TE in the game are not 'great' blockers. Whitten, Gates, Gonzales....etc. They need to be a competent blocker. Blocking is half footwork and half desire. Nelson has good feet i bet. He just needs to put it to use in blocking sets. Also not too many TE are left on an isalnd with a DE for more then a couple seocnds a most. Most DE would school pretty much any good recieving TE over a game. Thats why the TE is left as a second blocker a lot of times. Helping the tackle double team. Now Nelson would be great comming off the line on goal line, chipping a DE and then fading into the center of the endzone. He could probably out jump most safeties. Pair him with Owens and Evans on 3 and goal from the 5. I like the Bills chances a lot more this year then last. Maybe we can stop leading the league in FGs from under 20 yds. That is probably not accurate but just seems that way.

See, it's stuff like this that once again renews my hope and gets me excited for the coming year(s)...I should know better by now.

Thanks for nothing, Steely! <_<

Yeah, no matter how hard we get punched in the gut by this team, every year brings new hope! We are gluttons for punishment. But maybe, just maybe, this will be the year of the return to significance -- a playoff team.

If you watch tape of Nelson you will see that he can block and that he has more than enough athletic ability to block. He is just not completely coached up and he is not quite heavy or strong enough to be an exceptional or consistnat blocker. There is tape on him putting Ray Maluga on the ground at the Senior Bowl practice thoug.

There are many great players who did not Block. Jim Brown being one of them. If Brown wanted to block he would have been the best in the game. Being a good blocker for most of these guys is about effort. I believe that two years from now Nelson will be talked about as a complete Tight End.

If you watch tape of Nelson you will see that he can block and that he has more than enough athletic ability to block. He is just not completely coached up and he is not quite heavy or strong enough to be an exceptional or consistnat blocker. There is tape on him putting Ray Maluga on the ground at the Senior Bowl practice thoug.

There are many great players who did not Block. Jim Brown being one of them. If Brown wanted to block he would have been the best in the game. Being a good blocker for most of these guys is about effort. I believe that two years from now Nelson will be talked about as a complete Tight End.

I admit to not knowing a whole lot about Nelson. I hope you are right about what you see on film. This team hasn't had a duel threat TE in a long time. He is going to be a major factor in Trent's ability to be effective.

Agreed, even though he's raw as a blocker, ya gotta love his attitude and willingness to improve. :devil:

Got to agree. When Heath Miller came out of college his knock was blocking, he has worked on it and whalla complete top notch NFL TE.