Owens, O-line on the agenda at Booster Club meeting

Lori

Two of the biggest offseason stories in the NFL, Terrell Owens’ arrival and Jason Peters’ departure, have focused national attention on normally quiet One Bills Drive for the last several weeks. So when members of the Bills Boosters and Monday Quarterback Club had an opportunity to question chief operating officer Russ Brandon and head coach Dick Jauron on Thursday evening, both the offensive line and a certain wide receiver were sure to be mentioned early and often.

http://www.twobillsdrive.com/buffalo-bills/game-day/127/

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The talk then turned back to the offensive line, when an astute member of the audience noted that Jauron had omitted a name in his earlier breakdown, and asked about the Brad-Butler-to-right-tackle rumors.

“I guess I didn’t want the public to know that,” he said with a sheepish grin while the crowd chuckled. “There’s a really good chance that we will move Brad Butler out. Brad’s a very unselfish player. He may be more suited to tackle than to guard, and he’s a good guard. We’ll just have to see how it all goes with the young players, and Kirk Chambers can play guard, too. We’ve got some other guys we can see at that position.

“But at this point, I would say that we’re kind of counting on that to happen. We’re kind of counting on Brad to take that spot. We’re counting on Langston to take that left spot, to be the defender, the pass blocker that he is. And then compete inside. That really solidifies us. I think it gives us a cohesive group of guys, tough guys.”

#89??

So, if our rookies are good enough to start @ Pats*, Butler takes the RT spot. Folks, we've improved our OL!!

Jauron sure shows a lot of faith in Langston Walker. I have a hard time with this.

Btw, this is not a post to bash our OL. Now that the smoke from the draft has cleared, I am actually stunned that we drafted a pair of solid Guards. Jauron said that he was surprised that Levitre was still there. So was I. It is unlike the Bills, and certainly Jauron to draft early round guards.

As for Walker, he is overweight and seems to be plodding when I watch him, which is every game. I honestly thought that he should drop some weight to play Right Tackle, let alone the left side. Things can be done; backs and TEs will certainly be called to help Walker more often than an agile, and even stronger Jason Peters. I am not saying that I am sure Walker will fail at this spot. Not at all, but I view LT as a question mark.

Butler at RT? I have absolutely no idea what to expect. I think that in addition to missing a few games, he played hurt a lot last year because his replacements were just that bad, and I give him lots of credit for doing so. He looks as if he is strong enough to play on the right; we shall see.

Either way, we are deeper in the interior. The middle of the line was probably up there with the worst in the NFL last season. Even with rookies, the running game should improve, especially on 3rd and short. Who knows, maybe the Bills will go for more linemen on both sides next season and turn this team into a tough one. A team that is suited for the climate and the rabid, blue collar fans.

That is pretty much all I ever wanted them to do.

GO BILLS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

1. Astute member of the audience = Lori I bet.

2. At the very least the Bills did SOMETHING about the O and D lines this year.

3. Who can say, this plan may fail, but as I said #2 is better than the stop-gap plan we were forced to use due to Donahoe's Mess. And this plan is at least better than no plan = Donahoe plan.

4. If you take Brandon at face value, Peters is a tool. Even if you don't, no way he is worth more than Lee Evans, in this universe or any other, especially not after last year, no way. He's dreaming if he thinks he's as good at his job as Evans, and anybody who thinks that is dreaming as well. I didn't see many pancake blocks or great plays from Peters last year. I did see Lee Evans catch a ball on the back of his helmet for a TD. I did see Peters turnstile people twice right into Edwards, and you can't blame that on Dockery.

5. Man I can't wait to see if these guys are as nasty as advertised up front.

"Nothing would be finer than to give Wolfork a shiner in the eeeeeevening".

What an outstanding article, Lori. I do believe you just scooped the rest of the sports world.

Very interesting to hear the bit about the TO signing, the team's two years of scouting Hangartner, and especially the Peters situation. I know we're hearing just one side, but it seems Peters simply didn't want to play in Buffalo anymore.

Also, whoever that astute fan is, great job pinning the coach down on the o-line situation. Sounds like a Walker, Wood, Hangartner, Levitre, Butler line is the plan.

Really, most of the big questions discussed here on the Wall were answered.

Thanks for all the time you put into this and everything else you put together for us, Lori!

Thanks Lori - it is hard not to now be a glass half full person with regards to the upcoming season. I just hope the o-line really does come together. Sounds like Peters really did not want to remain in Buffalo. I suppose we will never know his side of the story.

Ugh, unfortunately it seems like Jauron is set on our LB corps. Man, I shudder to think about all of the times that Ellison is going to get run over this season.

As for the O-Line, I noticed a lot of "expects to" and "as of this time" type of comments which makes me think the Bills arent done with O-Line upgrades.

I know, I know...I read between the lines a lot.

They offered the largest contract in Bills history to Peters... wow. Evans is making $9 million a year, so it has to be more than that.

Lori--great info...thanks!!! I assume you had a tape recorder going cause you got all the details.

Anyone who thinks Peters was treated unfairly by this organization needs to read the following...and I hope this doesn't deteriorate into a B word slapping contest...

“Here’s a player that we brought in as a undrafted free agent, we developed, we signed to an over-market contract,” Brandon said. “And the one misnomer in that contract was, he had an escalator clause if he would ever move to left tackle. He was not making bottom money at all. He was paid very handsomely. And we told Jason – I personally told Jason – that we would not renegotiate his contract with three years left on it, because he was not our priority. Lee Evans was our priority. I said, ‘You come back to camp, and once we get Lee done, you become a priority.’ The day that we signed Lee, I had him come to my office, and I said, ‘You are now the priority.’ We worked on that for five or six months, and we offered Jason an enormous contract – the largest contract in Bills history – and he had no interest in it. None. That was right at the conclusion of the season.

You might argue that he should have been THE priority rather than Evans (I disagree), but unless you want to call Brandon a liar you cannot argue that Peters was treated more than fairly. Put this to bed people...move on.

Lori--great info...thanks!!! I assume you had a tape recorder going cause you got all the details.

Anyone who thinks Peters was treated unfairly by this organization needs to read the following...and I hope this doesn't deteriorate into a B word slapping contest...

You might argue that he should have been THE priority rather than Evans (I disagree), but unless you want to call Brandon a liar you cannot argue that Peters was treated more than fairly. Put this to bed people...move on.

Beerball......asking for a little speculation here. There is NO way to tell, and I understand this.

My question is, if we kept Peters, do you think that we would have taken Wood and Levitre in this draft?

Beerball......asking for a little speculation here. There is NO way to tell, and I understand this.

My question is, if we kept Peters, do you think that we would have taken Wood and Levitre in this draft?

My guess is yes. The FO/coaches/scouts identified the interior of the line as the biggest weakness. We (I) assumed that they would address tackle in the draft because Peters was traded, but they are comfortable with what we have today. If anything I think a happy Peters would have increased their desire to add some football playing nasties to the interior of the line.

My guess is yes. The FO/coaches/scouts identified the interior of the line as the biggest weakness. We (I) assumed that they would address tackle in the draft because Peters was traded, but they are comfortable with what we have today. If anything I think a happy Peters would have increased their desire to add some football playing nasties to the interior of the line.

Imagine.... :thumbsup:

Well, let's hope that this philosophical shift continues. :thumbsup:

They would have probably just taken Wood.

i get the impression some nfl teams are moving towards an idea of the line being uniform, preferring to spend LG to RT rather then blowing the wad on LT LG. I think this suits our team best, as like corners LTs are actually always available round one in the draft, so you don't absolutely have to over pay to sign one, but the actual addition to winning comes from the line being a good unit, not a compliment of players like how the D line is.

a pass catching threat at TE will help too as it means he's either open, or he takes a guy out of the blitz package/makes him obvious.

i get the impression some nfl teams are moving towards an idea of the line being uniform, preferring to spend LG to RT rather then blowing the wad on LT LG. I think this suits our team best, as like corners LTs are actually always available round one in the draft, so you don't absolutely have to over pay to sign one, but the actual addition to winning comes from the line being a good unit, not a compliment of players like how the D line is.

a pass catching threat at TE will help too as it means he's either open, or he takes a guy out of the blitz package/makes him obvious.

Please explain how this translates into not having to overpay. A few of these guys will get huge contracts before even taking the field.

I don't really see where you are going with this. Sorry.