Casselry on Shawn Nelson

Justice

The pick of Shawn Nelson is simply huge, in the sense that he is probably the best athlete at that position in the entire history of this franchise. I'd say the only two legit threats at this position EVER were Ernie Warlick and Pete Metzelaars! This kid has then beat, and if he stays healthy, watch out. I'm very excited by his selection and really thought we'd lose out after a run on TE's in the third round. Man, the draft was kind to us this year. I DON'T believe in omens, but things are breaking nicely this offseason, IMO!!!

What do you guys think a successful campaign coming up for the guy would be?

I think I'd be OK with a year like Owen Daniels had in 06...somewhere between 35-40 catches and 4-6 tds and he'd be a good pickup. Anthing that's better than Royal's 18-15 catches for 250 yards and 2 tds (with 2-3 potential endzone drops).

I hope I'm not dreaming...

Here's some other rookie years for Tight Ends:

Witten, 2003, 3rd round 69: 35 rec 347 yards 1 td

Clark, 2003, 1st round 24: 29 rec, 340 yards 1 td

Troupe, 2004, 2nd round 40: 33 rec, 329 1 td

Cooley: 2004, 3rd round, 81: 37 rec 314 yards 4 td

Miller, 2005, 1st round, 30: 39 rec 459 yards 6 td

Schefler, 2006 2nd round 61: 18 rec 286 yards 4 td

Daniels (whom IIRC Casserly drafted before he left), 4th round 98: 34 rec 352 yards 5 td

Olsen, 2007 1st round 31: 39 for 391 and 2 tds

Z. Miller, 2007 2 rd 38 pick: 44 for 444 and 3 tds

Keller, 2008 1st 30: 48 for 538 and 3 tds

Carlson, 2008 2nd 38: 55 for 627 and 5 tds

What do you guys think a successful campaign coming up for the guy would be?

Troupe, 2004, 2nd round 40: 33 rec, 329 1 td

Whatever happened to Ben Troupe? I remember really wanting the Bills to draft him when he came out and a few years later sign him when he became a FA.

The pick of Shawn Nelson is simply huge, in the sense that he is probably the best athlete at that position in the entire history of this franchise. I'd say the only two legit threats at this position EVER were Ernie Warlick and Pete Metzelaars! This kid has then beat, and if he stays healthy, watch out. I'm very excited by his selection and really thought we'd lose out after a run on TE's in the third round. Man, the draft was kind to us this year. I DON'T believe in omens, but things are breaking nicely this offseason, IMO!!!

What kind of a threat was Metzelaars? Run 5-7 yards down the field, turn around, catch the ball and get tackled.

Revisionist history? :doh:

Metz was by no means a huge threat to run after the catch, however he was perfect for his role. A good blocker, and a very reliable outlet in the passing game. He was also a big man, which came in very handy around the goal line. He played TE like a power forward. I miss Metz.

After reading the article about Nelson on the front page. I am even more pumped about the kid. If he walks the walk aswell as he talks the talk in that article we did just get a steal.

Nelson seems almost to good to be true. There has to be a reason he was drafted so late. Teams don't just not draft a guy because they forgot he is on the board. Most mocks had him penciled in as high as between pick 20 and pick 30 of the second round. No one really thought he would fall past the early third round but there has to be a reason for such a fall all the way to the fourth round.

Is it his blocking or his body type. Is there an injury that this kid had that we do not know about? I think there is something we are not seeing as at least a concern with Nelson.

Our offense on Paper does scare people hence, the AFC east Picks of all the best Corners, can it translate to the field we will see....

I won't deny our skilled positions are dangerous but on paper are O-line is also down right scary but for not so good reasons.

Wouldn't it be cool if this guy was a stud? Our offense might actually scare some people.

From the scouts and everything being said, Nelson is sounding an awful lot like he could turn into an Antonio Gates type player for us...

I know its really early to talk about a guy like that before he even plays for us, but from the rave reviews he has been drawing, it sounds like a lot of people are expecting him to be that type of player...

I won't deny our skilled positions are dangerous but on paper are O-line is also down right scary but for not so good reasons.

I am not sure I agree with that. The Bills gave up 38 sacks last year with the left side of the line contributing heavily to the totals(Peters and Dockery). Peters gave up the most sacks in the NFL of any LT with 11.5...Dockery was beaten numerous times as well leading to sacks. Preston/Fowler at C were downright dreadful as well.

Walker played pretty good on the left side in Peters absence during the preseason and the first 2 games. The middle of the line looks like it should be an immediate upgrade...Hangartner while most are saying is a "backup" C, the guy started 8 games last year for the Panthers, who were a pretty prolific running team that averaged 4.31 Adjusted Line Yards up the middle, much better than the Bills 3.89 ALY...with Butler likely on the move to his natural RT position, Wood and Levitre have the makings of 10 year anchors at right and left guard.

Wood-Hangartner-Levitre is likely a HUGE upgrade over Butler(a pretty good player)-Fowler/Preston-Dockery

Peters obviously is a better LT than Walker will be when he WANTED to be, and he obviously didn't want to be one last year. Walker will be MUCH better at LT this year than Peters was last year.

Butler at RT, his natural position in college before the bills turned him into a guard will hopefully be a wash with Walker at RT last year. Butler is a pretty good player that not many people notice---is it a coincidence the Bills running game went from one of the worst in the NFL in the first 8 weeks to one of the best in the NFL over the last 8 weeks when Butler came back from injury? I don't think so...

I am expecting some issues/gaffes for the first few weeks as the line comes together, but I expect it to be a solid line by the end of the year...