Cards Release OLB Travis LaBoy

GripnRip

I've been watching him since high school, because he played prep ball for the private high school around the corner from my house. What I love about him is his intensity -- yes, you can call it the "high motor" thing, but it's more that he plays with a balls-out intesity that sometimes borders on the psycho side. He was a freakin' terror in high school and the players on the other teams were clearly intimidated by him. He still plays with that same intensity, and therefore he tends to raise the energy level of people around him. But every strength is also a weakness, and in his case, it means he sometimes over-pursues or gets called for stupid penalties.

I wouldn't mind the Bills checking him out, but I worry that he'll be too expensive and potentially not a good fit for Fewell's scheme. Seems more like a 3-4 'backer to me.

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I can't believe the cap hit they are taking to release him. Something over $6 mil, and almost $2 mil more than if they just kept him on the team. There's something to be looked at there, I guess. Weird.

Word on the streets of Glendale is they felt they overpaid for Laboy...by cutting him and his 5 year 22 million (7.5 gaurnteed) in which he signed in 2008...

Plus, they're cap-straped...

They're scraping as much as they can to infuse money into Wilson & Dansby's new contracts...

Cards are expected to make several more cuts, if they want to re-new Boldin's contract...

I've been watching him since high school, because he played prep ball for the private high school around the corner from my house. What I love about him is his intensity -- yes, you can call it the "high motor" thing, but it's more that he plays with a balls-out intesity that sometimes borders on the psycho side. He was a freakin' terror in high school and the players on the other teams were clearly intimidated by him. He still plays with that same intensity, and therefore he tends to raise the energy level of people around him. But every strength is also a weakness, and in his case, it means he sometimes over-pursues or gets called for stupid penalties.

I wouldn't mind the Bills checking him out, but I worry that he'll be too expensive and potentially not a good fit for Fewell's scheme. Seems more like a 3-4 'backer to me.

Please, no intelligent and well-informed opinions here. Yes in addition to his contract he was not considered a good fit in their defense, especially now that Clancy Pendergast, their DC has moved on. His best fit is as a rush backer in a 3-4 or a situational pass rusher in a 4-3.

As for Roderick Hood, we already have too many hoods...er I mean DB's. :)

I can't believe the cap hit they are taking to release him. Something over $6 mil, and almost $2 mil more than if they just kept him on the team. There's something to be looked at there, I guess. Weird.

Doesn't that tell you all you need to know?

I'd much rather have a proven pass rushing hybrid who could possibly go down then start the season with Keith Ellison.

Keith Ellison is the worst starter in the NFL. He's not even a starter. Crowell was the starter. Ellison is horrible.

It sounds like Harris is a Coy Wire type. I always hope for the best but it's hard to have confidence in the decisions the Bills make year after year because the decisions made aren't getting us to the playoffs. The Tampa - 2 scheme is silly if we don't have or aquire the right players to fit the defense.

Does anybody know what if any top 5 defenses in 08 were running the tampa-2?

• 2 weeks later...

Latest update, per Rotoworld:

Free agent OLB/DE Travis LaBoy is scheduled to undergo season-threatening ankle surgery later this month.

According to Kent Somers of the Arizona Republic, "the ankle injury appears to be the major reason the Cardinals released LaBoy two weeks ago." He's not likely to sign on with a new team until he's almost finished rehabbing.

Source: Arizona Republic

I think I'd much rather have a Rams castoff than a Cards castoff....

Latest update, per Rotoworld:

Free agent OLB/DE Travis LaBoy is scheduled to undergo season-threatening ankle surgery later this month.

According to Kent Somers of the Arizona Republic, "the ankle injury appears to be the major reason the Cardinals released LaBoy two weeks ago." He's not likely to sign on with a new team until he's almost finished rehabbing.

Source: Arizona Republic

I think I'd much rather have a Rams castoff than a Cards castoff....

Has anyone checked Wikipedia to see if we have already signed him?

I can imagine how this conversation with Jauron and Russ went down.

Russ: "So, it looks like the Cards released Travis LaBoy, a real good pass rushing DE. Would be a nice addition to our squad and give us great depth"

Dick: "Pass, we already have Kelsay"

Russ: "...riiiiiggghht. They also released this Defensive Back Roder..."

Dick: "GET HIM IN HERE NOW!! SCREW THE COST, RUSS!"

:lol: Excellent post. :thumbsup:

Bring him in for a look. Bottom line we need an upgrade at OLB.

Pass on him....

He's too slow to play OLB in a cover 2, 4-3 defense.

He's a 3-4 hybrid outside backer/ part time DE

The guy would be better off in Green Bay, New England, San Diego or some other 3-4 defense.