Ten "worst" films ever

WWVaBeach

Okay, I'm open to seeing Barton Fink again, but those of you who enjoyed it, did you feel the film made any sort of SENSE in the end? If so, perhaps I just missed it...it's been a while since I've seen it...but I just remember thinking the 2nd half of that film was a big "WTF".

Loved Millers Crossing...

It does come together in the end. And in fact the first half has a ton of set ups that are paid off in the final reel. Everything from the wallpaper in Barton's hotel room to the box. Most of it is subtextual, but it's all there.

• Replies 566
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Even though the reviews for this movie were good, I have to say Hunger Games is very high on my list. I'm usually VERY forgiving of movies and can enjoy just about anything, but this was the first time I wanted to walk out of a movie theater (wife wouldn't go).

After the movie I read through a lot of reviews, and I just don't get it. Everything about that movie was bad. I honestly couldn't imagine watching a movie with that subject matter and caring less about any of the characters involved. And the camera work was so absolutely bad I don't even know how to explain it (this coming from someone that likes "lost footage" films).

Aside from everything else, I think the story line could have made for an excellent movie or even TV, but my god they blew it.

It does come together in the end. And in fact the first half has a ton of set ups that are paid off in the final reel. Everything from the wallpaper in Barton's hotel room to the box. Most of it is subtextual, but it's all there.

Do you mean to say, "there is enough there in the end that you can speculate what it all meant and debate it with others", or, "the end of the film was clear and provided a single explanation and conclusion"? In other words, do we have Lost or 24 here?

Star Wars Episode I

Star Wars Episode II

Rob Zombie's Halloween II

Clash of the Titans Remake

Batman and Robin

Caddyshack 2

Superman Returns

Superman 4

Catwoman

Gigli

Miss Congeniality 2

Battlefield Earth

Alvin and the Chipmunks

Leonard Part 6

Dumb and Dumberer

Son of the Mask

Star Wars Episode I

Star Wars Episode II

Batman and Robin

Caddyshack 2

Superman Returns

Superman 4

Catwoman

Gigli

Miss Congeniality 2

Battlefield Earth

Alvin and the Chipmunks

Leonard Part 6

Dumb and Dumberer

Son of the Mask

I had no idea there was a Miss Congeniality 2

Star Wars Episode I

Star Wars Episode II

Batman and Robin

Caddyshack 2

Superman Returns

Superman 4

Catwoman

Gigli

Miss Congeniality 2

Battlefield Earth

Alvin and the Chipmunks

Leonard Part 6

Dumb and Dumberer

Son of the Mask

Miss Congeniality 2, but not Miss Congeniality?

Sorry, forgot to include Miss Congeniality I.

Oh yeah, Mars Attacks should be on the list too. As should Johnny Depp's Dark Shadows.

One more: Speed 2 should have been on the list.

I find it hard to believe anyone could list any of the star wars films on a "worst films EVER" list...even if you didn't care for them, there are plenty of films that were far, far worse.

Star Wars Episode I

Star Wars Episode II

Batman and Robin

Caddyshack 2

Superman Returns

Superman 4

Catwoman

Gigli

Miss Congeniality 2

Battlefield Earth

Alvin and the Chipmunks

Leonard Part 6

Dumb and Dumberer

Son of the Mask

Star Wars Episode 2 was actually really good in my opinion. And while Alvin and the Chipmunks was no masterpiece, I still found it a LOT better then I thought it was and somewhat decent. Battlefield Earth was so delicously horrible that it was amazing. Probably one of the funniest movies I've seen in my entire life.

Edited by SelmonSmith6378

• 8 months later...

I've got to resurrect this thread just to ask: how the hell did Battleship ever get made? Was Peter Berg playing a practical joke on the movie-viewing public, or did someone lose a bet? I mean...were they serious? I haven't laughed this hard at a movie since Wedding Crashers...was this supposed to be a comedy? The script was absolutely atrocius. The effects did nothing to forward the plot, in no small part because there was no particularly identifiable plot (and in part because what plot was identifiable didn't seem connected to the effects). The acting and directing was so flat that new mathematical theories would have to be developed to describe it. I know some movies are so bad they're funny, I know some are so bad they're campy, I even know some are so bad they're just bad (e.g. Salt). This is the only movie I've ever seen that was so bad it's practically a force of nature.

Saw a preview the other day for a film adaptation of the Jack and the Beanstalk story. This is on the heels of the Hansel and Gretel one. Seriously?

I thought the comic book hero thing was being overdone, but I'll gladly take that over board games and "gritty reboots" of frickin fairy tales. Sheesh.

Saw a preview the other day for a film adaptation of the Jack and the Beanstalk story. This is on the heels of the Hansel and Gretel one. Seriously?

I thought the comic book hero thing was being overdone, but I'll gladly take that over board games and "gritty reboots" of frickin fairy tales. Sheesh.

hollywood is dead

Actually "Jack the Giant Slayer" was originally scheduled to be released last summer. But Warner Bros. pulled it because they needed to work more on the special effects of the movie. At least that's what they said.

I am more of the belief that they pulled it because they were concerned that "Jack" would have gotten lost in the summer mix and turned into a flop. Which was highly likely.

Paramount did the same thing with "G.I. Joe: Retaliation", another movie scheduled for last summer.

Sorry, forgot to include Miss Congeniality I.

Oh yeah, Mars Attacks should be on the list too. As should Johnny Depp's Dark Shadows.

One more: Speed 2 should have been on the list.

ACK ACK!! ACK!! ACK ACK ACK!!!

Mars Attacks was a classic.

I may get crucified here, but I thought Silver Linings was just god awful.Could have been my expectations were too high, but while I thought the performances were good, I thought the overall movie was not.

Thank you! I feel like I'm taking crazy pills. The dialogue is stiff and WAAAAAAY too high on exposition. The characters are unbelievable and only Jennifer Lawrence puts in a convincing performance of mental illness (hey, I love Deniro but I could rattle off 25 better performances. Pop in Taxi Driver and tell me he's on the top of his game right now). Bradley Cooper seems like a guy who's having a good ol' time pretending to have rage issues.

Secondary and tertiary characters are introduced and then forgotten, and the ones who last til the end serve no function in the plot. The set pieces aren't as cringe worthy as the poorly concealed plot devices, but it's close. And I don't get the sense that the director or writers have seen a game of NFL football in their lives.

My girlfriend insists I don't get it because I'm a guy, but there are romance movies that I love. This one just out and out sucks. Why is it considered Oscar bait?

Edited by SageAgainstTheMachine