Ten "worst" films ever

WWVaBeach

Alright, I'll end the Inception talk...It was a terrible movie. Just because it looks nice, DiCaprio's a good actor and there are great special effects does NOT mean it's a good movie.

#1: The characters are INCREDIBLY unmemorable. For a movie to be great, I have to care about the characters, but in this film I did not care, like or remember hardly any of them

#2: The plot holes. Why didn't Cobb just kill himself to get out of limbo? :-(

#3: There isn't much of a story. It's the same-old, same-old "One last job" we've heard a million times before, only with a twist involving dreams.

All in all, Inception is a stupid, cliche, cheap "Matrix" wannabe special only in the fact that it was incredibly worse then other 2010 movies like "The Wolfman", "The Book of Eli", "Repo Men" and "The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo", yet manages to get WAY more praise and WAY more credit...Ick.

Edited by SelmonSmith6378

• Replies 566
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

:)

Way off base on that one. Movie may not have been your cup of tea but certainly a well made film. Great characters. Good story. Not the best Coen bros flick but even their B efforts are better then 90% of the crap out there.

The worst recent movie for me was that 10,000BC one. Simply awful. Miscast and a ridiculous story line.

Also, from a few years back, Nick Cage's version of the Wicker man. Laughably bad.

Agree on Burn After Reading. The first time I watched it I was disappointed. I think I was expecting a Coen-style thriller (e.g., Miller's Crossing, Blood Simple). But I watched it again a little while later (this time knowing it was more of a comic musing) and I loved it. I thought it was hilarious. Wouldn't put it in the brothers' top five, but it really grew on me.

Edited by Last Guy on the Bench

Aspen Extreme, Side Out, a movie about tennis from the 1980s, pretty much any movie with Steve Guttenberg, and anything playing on Comedy Central on a weekday afternoon. Oh, and Ishtar and Ocean's Twelve.

Edited by Jauronimo

Yes Billy Bob was in it, I forget who else. we all said WTF and turned it off.

There was a short w/ Billy Bob by the same name & involving the same basic story that is different from the Oscar nominated movie that I've never heard a negative review of outside of this thread. Perhaps that's what you saw. The real movie is actually very good.

Aspen Extreme, Side Out, a movie about tennis from the 1980s, pretty much any movie with Steve Guttenberg, and anything playing on Comedy Central on a weekday afternoon. Oh, and Ishtar and Ocean's Twelve.

WHAT?!?!? That's sacriledge to put an 80s classic like Side Out anywhere near this thread!!!

Has anyone ever played the 'spoiled rich kid who doesn't give a crap until he realizes he's a huge douche and changes his ways' role better than C Thomas Howell?? I think not. Plus a young, bikini-clad Courtney Thorne Smith, before she became the annoying Melrose Place doormat? Bernie (from "Weekend at" fame) as the bad guy? Peter Horton as the professional beach bum?? How could you possibly cast that movie better!!

I think you need to seriously reevaluate your priorities Jauronimo.

Agree on Burn After Reading. The first time I watched it I was disappointed. I think I was expecting a Cohen-style thriller (e.g., Miller's Crossing, Blood Simple). But I watched it again a little while later (this time knowing it was more of a comic musing) and I loved it. I thought it was hilarious. Wouldn't put it in the brothers' top five, but it really grew on me.

Speaking of the Coen brothers, I love their films EXCEPT for A Serious Man, which was pretty brutal.:thumbdown:

Two terrible films that immediately came to mind were a couple that I saw in the early 90s in my late teens. I think I may have even skipped school for them which was the only reason we didn't walk out because we were poor teenagers and needed to maximize entertainment money.

I wouldn't be surprised if no one has heard of them. To me that is a mark of a truly terrible movie and not just one that people are largely polarized on liking which is what a lot of offerings on this thread seem to be.

(It actually took me about an hour of internet research to rediscover the titles because most of my memories of these films had been purged, and rightly so)

Hardware: 1990

Man's Best Friend: 1993

Speaking of the Coen brothers, I love their films EXCEPT for A Serious Man, which was pretty brutal.:thumbdown:

Did you like Barton Fink? I wanted to like that one but I just couldn't get into it at all. The 2nd half of it was just too obscure for me.

I thought Barton Fink was excellent, but it's one that's better the second time around.

I'd agree with it being better the second time around, but I would say more really good than excellent. Then again, the first time I saw it was immediately after seeing Miller's Crossing which just blew me away... BF really suffered in comparison. The one I need to revisit again is The Man Who Wasn't There, saw it a long time ago & thought it was just OK.

Did you like Barton Fink? I wanted to like that one but I just couldn't get into it at all. The 2nd half of it was just too obscure for me.

Agree with everyone that you need to see Barton Fink again. It's a masterpiece of modern cinema. Definitely not for everyone, definitely abstract, but if you survived one viewing of it a second one will be more revealing.

I'd agree with it being better the second time around, but I would say more really good than excellent. Then again, the first time I saw it was immediately after seeing Miller's Crossing which just blew me away... BF really suffered in comparison. The one I need to revisit again is The Man Who Wasn't There, saw it a long time ago & thought it was just OK.

Funny thing about Miller's Crossing and Barton Fink ... They were writing Miller's Crossing, a densely plotted story, and got stuck. Rather than force the issue, they stepped away from Miller's Crossing and banged out Barton Fink in short order. Then they went back and finished Miller's Crossing.

I love both films. And it's a testament to the genius of Coen Brothers that they were able to write something as complex and satisfying as Barton Fink as a means of procrastination from another, equally as brilliant, script. Crazy.

Miller's Crossing is definitely a tough act to follow. IMO it's the best gangster movie I've seen, and I formed that opinion before I knew who the Coen brothers were. I'm surprised a movie that good has flown that far under the radar for so long. I thought about bringing it up in the obscure movies thread.

Okay, I'm open to seeing Barton Fink again, but those of you who enjoyed it, did you feel the film made any sort of SENSE in the end? If so, perhaps I just missed it...it's been a while since I've seen it...but I just remember thinking the 2nd half of that film was a big "WTF".

Loved Millers Crossing...

Okay, I'm open to seeing Barton Fink again, but those of you who enjoyed it, did you feel the film made any sort of SENSE in the end? If so, perhaps I just missed it...it's been a while since I've seen it...but I just remember thinking the 2nd half of that film was a big "WTF".

Loved Millers Crossing...

it all comes together at the end. Post back after you watch it again.

it all comes together at the end. Post back after you watch it again.

Really? That's where it totally lost me...maybe I just missed it...I'll definitely give it another viewing.