• Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If you live in NY the Bully Hill wines are very good. IMO

try a Malbec from Argentina for a really nice inexpensive red

Alamos :huh: and Las Hornigas(sp) :thumbsup: are 2 i like

nero d'avolo and primitivo from sicilia/southern italy are interesting also

adelsheim from Oregon makes a nice Pinot Noir but the price is above 10

you can still find some good pinot grigios like Kris or Zenato but that part of the shelf is getting flooded with pi$$ from movement away from oaky chardonnays- everyone made an oaky chardonnay and now everyone makes a crisp (but not always good) pinot grigio

kim crawford sauvignon blanc is good from New Zealand but is getting expensive- there are probably other good ones from N.Z. or South Africa out there but i have not tried any lately

My # 1 rule for buying wine: stay away from California and France (except for the Rhone valley Reds or a Macon Village type white or a Pepi) typically overpriced for the quality unless you want to spend in the 100s- and why spend in the hundreds when you can do good at 10-20

Thanks, guys. I only wrote down the ones I thought I could pronounce :)

BTW regarding the wines I listed above. One of the most frustrating things for me regarding wine is reading a great review from a reliable source like Wine Spectator and not being able to find the wine anywhere. The key is find a varietal you like, for me lately it's been the Spanish Garnacha (Granache) or Tempranillos, and just start trying them. I know a few years ago I was posting here that you've got to spend $$ to get good wine. What a !@#$ing snob....I've since changed my tune.

You seem to have a pretty good knowledge of wine, Chef. Do you have any advice on what are some relatively inexpensive bottles of dry merlot that can be found in wine & liquour stores in the WNY area? Looking for some new ones to try....Thanks.

You know what goes well with box 'o wine?

Pizza in a cup.

"Oh, this is the best pizza in a cup ever. This guy is unbelievable. He ran the old Cup 'o Pizza guy out of business. People come from all over to eat this."

You seem to have a pretty good knowledge of wine, Chef. Do you have any advice on what are some relatively inexpensive bottles of dry merlot that can be found in wine & liquour stores in the WNY area? Looking for some new ones to try....Thanks.

I'm not a big Merlot drinker. But depending on how much you want to spend look at some cheaper Bordeaux wines. They're a blend and many of them are a good amount merlot. Look for left bank bordeaux.

But here's what you need to start doing. Taste, taste, taste. What I like may taste like sewer water to you. You've established that you like merlot. Ok, go buy a bunch of Merlot that fits your budget. Buy from all over. CA and wines from the US will tell you that they're Merlot but from other parts of the world you're going to have to do some research such as for bordeaux because the do more blending and the varietal is very often not in the name or even on the label. It's fun. You'll find that Burgundy predominantly Pinot Noir, Chianti is Sangiovese Bordeaux is Cab and Merlot. I'll usually open 3-4 bottles on the weekend and just go from one to the other. It's like having my own wine by the glass list and I don't break the bank.

I'm not a big Merlot drinker. But depending on how much you want to spend look at some cheaper Bordeaux wines. They're a blend and many of them are a good amount merlot. Look for left bank bordeaux.

But here's what you need to start doing. Taste, taste, taste. What I like may taste like sewer water to you. You've established that you like merlot. Ok, go buy a bunch of Merlot that fits your budget. Buy from all over. CA and wines from the US will tell you that they're Merlot but from other parts of the world you're going to have to do some research such as for bordeaux because the do more blending and the varietal is very often not in the name or even on the label. It's fun. You'll find that Burgundy predominantly Pinot Noir, Chianti is Sangiovese Bordeaux is Cab and Merlot. I'll usually open 3-4 bottles on the weekend and just go from one to the other. It's like having my own wine by the glass list and I don't break the bank.

Thanks a lot Chef, really appreciate it. Going to look for some new Bordeaux tonight! :thumbsup:

Thanks a lot Chef, really appreciate it. Going to look for some new Bordeaux tonight! :)

Good luck and Bordeaux can be pricey but it doesn't have to be. If you like the Merlot look for a St-Emilion they usually have a higher percentage of Merlot. You can find some decent ones for under $20

a question for the wine experts....chef listed a wine from spain that was highly rated by so called experts...it had a price of 7.99....how can a bottle of wine be that cheap...especially one that is from another company...I would think tarriffs and shipping costs would be at least 7.99....is wine that cheap to produce on a mass production scale? Domestic wines, fine, but I can't believe how cheaply some foreign wines can be...I asked the guy at the wine shop today and he really couldn't answer....

a question for the wine experts....chef listed a wine from spain that was highly rated by so called experts...it had a price of 7.99....how can a bottle of wine be that cheap...especially one that is from another company...I would think tarriffs and shipping costs would be at least 7.99....is wine that cheap to produce on a mass production scale? Domestic wines, fine, but I can't believe how cheaply some foreign wines can be...I asked the guy at the wine shop today and he really couldn't answer....

for the most part the land, vines, buildings are decades if not centuries old and paid for and sun and rain are free

yes there are taxes and wages and other ongoing costs but it obviously can be done

the real question is how can these winieries in California and France get away with ripping us off for $100 bottles- no matter how low their yields are

i get the whole supply and demand and perceived values that drive wine prices up, its the low price that blows me away

for the most part the land, vines, buildings are decades if not centuries old and paid for and sun and rain are free

yes there are taxes and wages and other ongoing costs but it obviously can be done

the real question is how can these winieries in California and France get away with ripping us off for $100 bottles- no matter how low their yields are

I don't get into the financial aspect of it. I don't give a rats ass if the producer is losing their shirt as long as I get tastey wine. :)

Part of the answer is the cost of land in California, it's very expensive, new vinyards are probably paying in the millions for their land. Then add in taxes, labor, fees and the cost of water and you have some expensive wine.