Trent Edwards

Virgil

As I look at our offensive weapons, it's hard to not get excited about the explosive possibilities. With TO and Evans on both sides of the field, Reed/Johnson/Parrish should see great open zones. With Nelson, Derek Fine becomes immediately better just by now having the worst coverman on the other team put on him.

I admit that I am concerned about out OT situation. But I also agree that, with such a solid interior, the Tackle position becomes less important. Jason Peters was usually left out on an island by himself. This won't be the case with our new O-line. I also believe that our power run game will be much improved which will only open up the passing game more.

From that, I have two concerns. Our Offensive Scheme and Trent Edwards.

For the Offensive Scheme, there really isn't much we can do about that. Especially if DJ trys to play the game close to the vest and hope for a 4th quarter win. That basically screws us.

However, I also have to wonder how much different we all would feel with a Cutler, Favre, Manning's, McNabb. I know that I am listing Pro Bowler's here, but there are all guys who consistently find their way to 300 yard games. The specific number of yards isn't what is important, but that is typically a number that we associate with a solid passing game. The same goes for the 100 yard rushing game. I think it's something that some QB's "have" and other don't. I don't have the stats in front of me, but I don't think Trent has even broken this barrier. Between that, and his health issues, my question is, how sold on him are you to lead this offense to it's potential?

• Replies 161
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As I look at our offensive weapons, it's hard to not get excited about the explosive possibilities. With TO and Evans on both sides of the field, Reed/Johnson/Parrish should see great open zones. With Nelson, Derek Fine becomes immediately better just by now having the worst coverman on the other team put on him.

I admit that I am concerned about out OT situation. But I also agree that, with such a solid interior, the Tackle position becomes less important. Jason Peters was usually left out on an island by himself. This won't be the case with our new O-line. I also believe that our power run game will be much improved which will only open up the passing game more.

From that, I have two concerns. Our Offensive Scheme and Trent Edwards.

For the Offensive Scheme, there really isn't much we can do about that. Especially if DJ trys to play the game close to the vest and hope for a 4th quarter win. That basically screws us.

However, I also have to wonder how much different we all would feel with a Cutler, Favre, Manning's, McNabb. I know that I am listing Pro Bowler's here, but there are all guys who consistently find their way to 300 yard games. I think it's something that some QB's "have" and other don't. I don't have the stats in front of me, but I don't think Trent has even broken this barrier. Between that, and his health issues, my question is, how sold on him are you to lead this offense to it's potential?

I am pretty sure he now has the experience and weapons to surpass 300 yards on occassion, but I am sure you realize that in the last two years only 2 guys have averaged over 300 yards and Brady just barely passed it in 2007.

Jim Kelly wasn't a 300 yard guy. He had the occasional but not too often. We were (and should be striving to be) a balanced football team geared towards our own weather conditions. If you want to go with stats look at Yards per attempt. If it's over 7 you're productive in the passing game.

Jim Kelly wasn't a 300 yard guy. He had the occasional but not too often. We were (and should be striving to be) a balanced football team geared towards our own weather conditions. If you want to go with stats look at Yards per attempt. If it's over 7 you're productive in the passing game.

Wish this would have been what I said. Perfect.

I could care less how many yards he throws for as long as he throws for 2-3 TDs a game. His multiple touchdown games were too few and far between so far in his career. He MUST improve that this season.

NO EXCUSES. No "Peters isn't around" or "the O-line is too young" or ANYTHING. He must find the endzone consistently this year. Otherwise, him and DJ can text each other in the unemployment line.

29 games of 300 yards or more puts him in the top 20 of all time. That's from 86' to 96'. Hate the comparison.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_300-Y...FL_Quarterbacks

In Bledsoe's 1st year with us, Both Moulds and Price had 1,200 over yards receiving each with a combined 19 TD's. Travis Henry had over 1,400 rushing. So, with having 2 capable WR's this season, I can see this benefitting our offense big time.

29 games of 300 yards or more puts him in the top 20 of all time. That's from 86' to 96'. Hate the comparison.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_300-Y...FL_Quarterbacks

Fair enough. That top 20 is more about his longevity than anything though. He really wasn't considered a "300 yd QB" in the normal sense that it is thought of. A typical Kelly game was like 18-28 for 220 yds and a TD or maybe 2. especially in the victories. My point still stands IMO but good lookup .

Fair enough. That top 20 is more about his longevity than anything though. He really wasn't considered a "300 yd QB" in the normal sense that it is thought of. A typical Kelly game was like 18-28 for 220 yds and a TD or maybe 2. especially in the victories. My point still stands IMO but good lookup .

Not to push the issue but is 10 years really longevity?

Just to clarify. I use the 300 mark as a general mark that most of us reference as a good offensive passing day. It's not about a specific bench mark. The same way a 1,000 rushing or receiving season is a good job in comparison. Overall, typically Edwards has been a 150-220 yards per game passer and I don't see that flying with anyone with his new weapons. I wonder if he is capable of breaking past that.

Just to clarify. I use the 300 mark as a general mark that most of us reference as a good offensive passing day. It's not about a specific bench mark. The same way a 1,000 rushing or receiving season is a good job in comparison. Overall, typically Edwards has been a 150-220 yards per game passer and I don't see that flying with anyone with his new weapons. I wonder if he is capable of breaking past that.

Even the best QBs don't have more than a few 300 yard days a year. It's all about efficiency in the passing game. I would think Trent's YPA will be the greatest measure of his performance.

Even the best QBs don't have more than a few 300 yard days a year. It's all about efficiency in the passing game. I would think Trent's YPA will be the greatest measure of his performance.

But, correct me if i'm wrong, wouldn't that have indicated that we should have stuck with JP?

I'm not sure what you're trying to say, but I know that Trent Edwards has to do an awful lot before anyone should compare his game--any part of it--to Jim Kelly's.

So he's going to average more yards per game next year than Jim Kelly did in any year of his Hall of Fame career?

Not buying it.

The NFL isn't the same as it was back in the 1990s. 4000 yards isn't a big deal anymore. Especially since TE had the 11th best YPA in the NFL last year, and that should only improve.

I don't care how many yards he gets. What I want to see is Edwards driving the team down the field and getting in the endzone either by run or pass when we get in the red zone.

I want to see him get the ball down field to Evans and Owens or whomever and make the other team pay for playing us too close.

I want to see him stand in and make plays rather than dump the ball off the half second too quick that he does now.

Instead of deciding who he is going to throw to by the way the defense lines up (the way he does it now), I want to see him actually read the defenses and get the ball to his second and third receivers like Reed and Parrish and Nelson when the go to guys aren't open instead of giving up on the play too early.

I want to see him take some chances down the field with the athletic players we have even if they are incomplete so the other team doesn't creep up and dare us to throw.

I want to see him be smart about taking hits and avoid them when he doesn't need to take them.

I want to see him spread the ball around as much as he can and not concentrate on one guy like Owens.

I want to see him mature as a leader and not be such a PC nice guy about everything, even if he has to get in Shonert or Evans or Owens or the lineman's face.

I want to see him make plays and win games when he has off days and crappy stats.

The NFL isn't the same as it was back in the 1990s. 4000 yards isn't a big deal anymore. Especially since TE had the 11th best YPA in the NFL last year, and that should only improve.

It's a big enough deal where only 6 QBs had 4,000 yards last year (down from 7 in 2007).

In addition, one QB threw for almost twice as many yards as Edwards.

I want Edwards to be good, I just need to see some evidence of it against a defense that isn't ranked in the bottom 10 in the NFL.