Upgrades/Downgrades 09-10

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Offense:

Walker for Peters - Not sure, but I believe Walker this season will be better than Peters last season

Wood for Dockery - Even though a rookie, this WILL be an upgrade

Hangartner for Preston/Fowler - Upgrade for certain

Levitre for Butler - Butler plays well wherever they put him it seems, this year I say it's an even swap

Butler/Bell for Walker - I think this will be a even trade off

Rhodes for Omon - upgrade

Owens for Reed - This isn't even debatable

Fitzpatrick for Losman - upgrade

Defense:

Maybin for Kelsay - Against the run? Probably worse. Pass rushing ability? Major upgrade.

McKelvin for Greer - upgrade

Florence for Youboty - Remains to be seen. Depends on which DF we get. The San Diego version or the Jacksonville?

Byrd for Simpson/Wilson - I think it'll be an upgrade.

Whitner for Scott - Whitner needs to make more plays on the ball, but he undoubtedly is better than Scott

Nic Harris for Ellison - I have no idea

for me the dangerous part is OL.

now our OL had a massive step back last year, and Peters and Dock played terribly at times. that cost us games. i think from LG to RT we are a bit better out the gate, and definitely better by week 10.

it comes down to how we play at LT. if we lost peters of 07 then i'd suggest we'd fo sho be down, but the fact is we lost hold out hurt 2 years in a row 11 sacks giving up peters, not all pro peters. we also lost lazy fat plodding dock, not vicious blocking dock.

if we get serviceable play from lt i think we are up graded on the line period.

our pass rush is upgraded, our linebackers are flat to upgraded (i assume someone will step up at SAM, and poz is a year more mature), our secondary is net upgraded (leodis to me is better now than greer, and byrd is better than our other guys at FS), and our D line is better w aaron being healthy and maybin being a rusher on 3rd downs.

we CLEARLY got a bunch better at skill positions and another year for edwards is a big plus. i think our team is better at almost every level and if we get any play from LT we are better everywhere.

Unfortunately the Bills don't play in your fantasy world where Langston Walker is better than Jason Peters. Other than that your post rings of truth.

I got the taste of throw up in my mouth after reading the original post in this thread.

In terms of immediate impact this might be true, but in terms of cost effectiveness and potential future impact, I think Wood is a big time upgrade over Dockery. By the end of this season I think Wood has established himself as a legit starter for years to come.

Lets talk here and now 2009-2010

Certain people on this board have been drinking the kool aid in Buffalo.

There is absolutey no way Walker is an upgrade over Peters. Further, there is absolutely no way that whatever unproven, late round draft pick the Bills plug in at RT will be an upgrade over Walker, who I thought looked pretty good last year at RT (if he hadn't he wouldn't be getting moved).

At center, what you HAD, was a below average center in Fowler. He sucked, especially against Jenkins. HOWEVER, what you HAVE now is a college kid who has never seen an NFL DT. He MAY be an EVENTUAL upgrade, but TODAY, he's an athletic college kid who set down his beer long enough to show up on draft day. Sorry, but he's a DOWNGRADE for THIS season.

No one THIS YEAR will even come close to replacing Dockery. He was not worth the money, but our next best alternative, (which is what a responsible FO looks at) was ... you guessed it another college kid...who oh by the way...you reached for high in the draft...so now you get to pay him top flight money, kind of like Dockery, but without the experience.

So, for THIS YEAR, despite COMPLETELY losing our OL, We DID upgrade for ONE YEAR at WR, a backup QB, and 3rd string RB. So yeah, right...our Front office did a truly brilliant job....of dismantaling one of the better O-lines in the game and replacing them with college kids who MIGHT be good someday... :thumbsup:

There is absolutey no way Walker is an upgrade over Peters. Further, there is absolutely no way that whatever unproven, late round draft pick the Bills plug in at RT will be an upgrade over Walker, who I thought looked pretty good last year at RT (if he hadn't he wouldn't be getting moved).

At center, what you HAD, was a below average center in Fowler. He sucked, especially against Jenkins. HOWEVER, what you HAVE now is a college kid who has never seen an NFL DT. He MAY be an EVENTUAL upgrade, but TODAY, he's an athletic college kid who set down his beer long enough to show up on draft day. Sorry, but he's a DOWNGRADE for THIS season.

No one THIS YEAR will even come close to replacing Dockery. He was not worth the money, but our next best alternative, (which is what a responsible FO looks at) was ... you guessed it another college kid...who oh by the way...you reached for high in the draft...so now you get to pay him top flight money, kind of like Dockery, but without the experience.

So, for THIS YEAR, despite COMPLETELY losing our OL, We DID upgrade for ONE YEAR at WR, a backup QB, and 3rd string RB. So yeah, right...our Front office did a truly brilliant job....of dismantaling one of the better O-lines in the game and replacing them with college kids who MIGHT be good someday... :thumbsup:

Aww.. we missed you. Here's your exit: http://www.theraidernation.com/

Don't let the door hurt your little tooshy on the way out.

Unfortunately the Bills don't play in your fantasy world where Langston Walker is better than Jason Peters. Other than that your post rings of truth.

Get off the ratings on Madden and watch how Peters actually played last year. Walker is an upgrade.

Is Walker an upgrade over the player Peters COULD be? No, and its not even close. But for the play of our LT last year, Walker is an upgrade.

you mean the same line which failed consistently on 3 or 4th down and INCHES?......yeah, riiiiggggghhhhht

Get off the ratings on Madden and watch how Peters actually played last year. Walker is an upgrade.

Is Walker an upgrade over the player Peters COULD be? No, and its not even close. But for the play of our LT last year, Walker is an upgrade.

agreed. especially if he plays more games than peters did last year

The thing that concerns me the most isn't the stuff listed. Their biggest problem on offense last year, basically, was having an incompetent backup QB. Obviously if Edwards plays every game it's not going to be a factor. But they had one of the league's worst backup QBs, and some managed to come out of the offseason with a different name at the position, but still a guy that is horrible.

On defense, it was the pass rush that killed them. I guess it remains to be seen if that's been fixed. We can't expect Maybin to step in and set the world on fire like Dwight Freeney, but if he and Ellis can manage to combine for about 10 sacks in situational roles, and Schobel can bounce back to 8 or 9 sacks, we'll have a lot less of a problem in that regard. If all that happens and they get the 2006 Chris Kelsay, our DE rotation could actually be a strength. It's a lot to ask for though.

By the way- no way in hell Langston Walker is an upgrade over Peters.

Langston Walker obviously has less talent than Jason Peters, and Peters is an all-around better football player.

But if we're comparing '08 to '09, it's only fair to compare Walker '09 to Peters '08, and Peters '08 was a marginal contributor at best.

I got the taste of throw up in my mouth after reading the original post in this thread.

In terms of immediate impact this might be true, but in terms of cost effectiveness and potential future impact, I think Wood is a big time upgrade over Dockery. By the end of this season I think Wood has established himself as a legit starter for years to come.

SACKS ALLOWED

Walker- 3

Peters- 11.5, tying for worst LT in the league

PWNED!!!!!

This was my favorite part. Well done. You should do stand up.

Here's a breakdown of upgrades/downgrades at our positions for 2009-2010.

Upgrades

Owens for Reed

Rhodes for Omon

Kelsay for Kelsay on 1st&2d down + Maybin on 3d Down.

Downgrades:

LT Walker for Peters

RT Chambers for Walker

LG Lavitrie ® for Dockery

C Fowler for ® Wood/2d String Hangengartner (Rosenbagger)

OLB Ellison for Angelo Crowell

CB Youboty for Jabari Greer

Even:

Fine for Robert Royal

After writing this, I threw up in my mouth a little. Did I miss anything or inaccurately characterize the change?

Upgrades: Owens for Reed

Reed for Parrish

Wood, Hangartner, Lavitrie over Dockery, Fowler, Butler

Rhodes over Omon

Chambers and Butler as backups over Preston and Chambers

Maybin and Marcus Smith over Kelsay and Copeland

Shawn Nelson, Fine, Schouman, Travis McCall over Royal, Fine Schouman, Murphy

whoever replaces Ellison

whoever replaces Ko Simpson

year 3 POZ over year 2 Poz I hope

SACKS ALLOWED

Walker- 3

Peters- 11.5, tying for worst LT in the league

PWNED!!!!!

With an O-Line, there is somtehing to be said for continuity. Players who play together for a while get better as a unit.

I'd love to see where you got your stat. NFL.com says Trent was sacked 23 times last year. 10 QB's were sacked less, meaning, as a unit, our team was in the top 1/3 in the league in pass protection. Not bad.

By releasign Peters, we weakend ourselves at both tackles, and by releasing Dockery and both the Centers who had experience in our system, we're starting from scratch. The whole idea of an offseason, is to get better. What we did, was get worse, and hope our picks will pay off in 2011.

I hope....oh god how I hope...I'm on this Board in January citing my own post and saying I was wrong. Only time will tell.

Here's a breakdown of upgrades/downgrades at our positions for 2009-2010.

Upgrades

Owens for Reed

Rhodes for Omon

Kelsay for Kelsay on 1st&2d down + Maybin on 3d Down.

Downgrades:

LT Walker for Peters

RT Chambers for Walker

LG Lavitrie ® for Dockery

C Fowler for ® Wood/2d String Hangengartner (Rosenbagger)

OLB Ellison for Angelo Crowell

CB Youboty for Jabari Greer

Even:

Fine for Robert Royal

After writing this, I threw up in my mouth a little. Did I miss anything or inaccurately characterize the change?

First off, most of your downgrades are completely moronic. Whether Levitre or Wood plays at LG, they will be better than Dockery who was absolutely terrible last season. Whether Wood or Hangartner start at C, they will be an immediate upgrade over Fowler or Preston. Both were undersized and sievelike in almost every game last year. Crowell didn't play last year, so it's really Ellison over himself which is just dumb, and I don't think he will be the starting WLB next year anyway. Lastly, McKelvin will be the replacement for Greer, and that's pretty much a wash. Sorry, but this really isn't nearly as bad as you think it was. Plus, I don't think Peters is going to turn out to be worth all the moolah he was asking for. As much as people want to see this draft as being glass half empty there just aren't enough reasons to think that. Most if not all of the Bills' first four picks are likely to be high quality starters at positions of need for this team, and our FA acquisitions are likely to be just as productive.

After reading your post the whole way through, I wanted to throw up too.