Round 1, Pick 11: AARON MAYBIN, DE, Penn State

Thoner7 - Posted 25 April 2009 - 11:15 AM

"Maybin is not physical. He is more like a blitzing DB than a DE, meaning he weighs 220 and just trys to run around the edge and avoids contact. When the tackle makes contact, Maybin was completely dominated in college, you can bet that will happen more in the NFL. I dont think you will see Maybin drafted till the end of round one and it will NOT be to a 4-3 team. Either that or the Bills take him at 11."

Thoner7, I have newfound, deep respect for ya bro.

Yep, great calll.

Thanks guys. I can still think back and remember how chastised I was for criticizing that pick that year. I mean hell, East Roch Bills fan STILL hates me for being so negative! In hindsight, I was actually being positive lol. And I will never get over Orakpo, he was my #1 player :cry: I am still waiting for my big break into scouting lol.

http://www.radaronline.com/photos/image/79390/2010/07/nfl-stars-vernon-davis-and-aaron-maybin-party-with-stripper

and aaron post draft.

Is there a window between the end of college football and the combine where players don't get tested? If they aren't tested at the combine then the system sucks and the NFL deserves this type of thing.

I'm not a consipiracy type guy AT ALL, but its obvious that Maybin can't gain enough weight to play in the NFL which leads me to believe this is a serious possibility.

If I were Ralph and I thought this were true, I'd refuse to pay him the rest of his guaranteed salary and sue him for misrepresentation and fraud. Even though I'd probably lose in court, Maybin would lose a boatload in lawyers fees and he'd be forced to offer a reasonable explanation for this.

Lastly, I agree with an earlier poster that it's time to let this loser become forgotten and focus on the fun team we have now. Enough Maybin talk for me forever.

dont quote me, but from their final college test until the combine they are 100% test free, and that might extend until after the draft when they actually "enter the league." i dont know when they are eligible to be tested but there is a pretty long window.

Pretty funny 2 see they were either fired or in Brandons case have nothing to do with personel anymore. I guess we can't B word that things don't change. In a way we owe Maybin a thank you for putting an end to the Jauron/Modrak era in Buffalo. He was in a sense the last of the riff raff from that miserable era.

I was never a fan of the pick but I was rooting like crazy for him. However, I highly doubt the fans who said Maybin would be a good player would have bumped this thread if he had succeed. I have no problems with different opinions. But it's pathetic to me that people would rather be right on a message board than see the Bills succeed.

Nonsense. Every year we have a legion of "Where are all the people who said ____" homer posts after a sample size of one game appears to prove them right. As an example, the "we don't need Pat Williams" army was out in full force gleefully starting threads and yelling to anyone who would listen how smart they were after the '05 opening win vs. Houston. Of course we know how that turned out. But yah, they're all team guys and not about patting themselves on the back. <_<

I dunno, I wouldn't be surprised to see the draft thread of any TBD-era player bumped if he had some sort of major positive milestone. Certainly if one made the Hall of Fame

I'd like to see it become a pre-draft ritual....bumping the draft threads from 3 years earlier on the Bills first pick and a few other high profile players like Tebow that generated much debate.

Sometimes you need something so bad, you take a gamble

hoping the results turn in your favor

Yes, and sometimes you see a thread like this and think:

"Man I'm glad I didn't post in that one. :D

I resisted the urge to defend the team, pick, player while likewise resisted the urge to trash the team, pick, player...cause I really had no idea WTF I was talking about regarding this guy".

And then you read some of the posts in this thread and :lol:

Edited by OCinBuffalo

Yes, and sometimes you see a thread like this and think:

"Man I'm glad I didn't post in that one. :D

I resisted the urge to defend the team, pick, player while likewise resisted the urge to trash the team, pick, player...cause I really had no idea WTF I was talking about regarding this guy".

And then you read some of the posts in this thread and :lol:

To be honest, this is the reason why I don't understand why so many people argue one way or the other so vociferously regarding a player at draft time. State your case and let the results speak for itself when the time comes.

To be honest, this is the reason why I don't understand why so many people argue one way or the other so vociferously regarding a player at draft time. State your case and let the results speak for itself when the time comes.

Not that we need rules around here :D but...a guuuuuiiiiiiiideline might be: you must format all potential/actual drafted player posts to "Good, Bad, Ugly" or "Positive, Negative, Uncertain"

-or-

We can go with the strict OCinBuffalo rule. if you choose to forgo all relativity/outside influences/unforeseen events and demand that we accept that you are 100% absolutely right about a player, good or bad, then you must also pay the absolute price for being wrong: 100 naked youtube pushups, per my rules.

This way, when these guys get into these 15 page yelling matches about dopey college football, we can invoke my rule and just force them to bet, and either way, we win, cause in the end, somebody is doing naked youtube pushups...and that's funny.

Not that we need rules around here :D but...a guuuuuiiiiiiiideline might be: you must format all potential/actual drafted player posts to "Good, Bad, Ugly" or "Positive, Negative, Uncertain"

-or-

We can go with the strict OCinBuffalo rule. if you choose to forgo all relativity/outside influences/unforeseen events and demand that we accept that you are 100% absolutely right about a player, good or bad, then you must also pay the absolute price for being wrong: 100 naked youtube pushups, per my rules.

This way, when these guys get into these 15 page yelling matches about dopey college football, we can invoke my rule and just force them to bet, and either way, we win, cause in the end, somebody is doing naked youtube pushups...and that's funny.

No, there should be a monetary penalty for being wrong. We could create a man-love dollar scale and people can assign an amount to their personal man-love of a draft pick or FA signing (and can be goaded with 'put your money where you mouth is' taunts). After an appropriate waiting period (in this case two years), the appropriate evaluation is made and the people who were wrong would have to deposit that amount of cash into a charity that the board (or Scott) would choose. The donation info for that charity would be linked to the site so we'd all be able to see if people who owed paid up. And if not we'd ridicule them mercilessly until they did or left the board.

For example, if the scale was $5 - $50 ($50 would be called the 'Tebow bet'), The Big Cat might have put up $35 in support of his Maybin man-love on draft day. Now that Maybin has been cut, the designated TSW kangaroo court would deem him wrong and he's have to cough up $35 to the official board charity.

So, people who are consistently wrong would need to pay for it, and we'd be helping charity at the same time. Plus, it would be tax deductible. :D

Of course, being right wouldn't pay anything (it's for charity), but we could keep a running tally of the total positive dollars wagered for bragging rights.