Mike Schopp

BillsVet

I think the first three picks will be a DE, LB and TE (No particular order)...You won't see an OL until round 3...

the only exception would be if Mack is available at 28....

How much do you want to bet?

You must be sharing drugs with Schopp.

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't listen to Schopp, but wouldn't you think that he was on drugs if he went on the air and accurately described last year's draft on the Monday before it happened?

"I'm just spitballin' here, but I predict the Bills will draft two cornerbacks in the first four rounds (three DBs overall) and will pretty much ignore a big need by waiting until the fourth round to draft a blocking TE. Yes, a blocking TE.

They will also draft a third string running back in the sixth round and won't address the offensive line until the seventh round where they will probably select the illegitimate son of a former NBA player."

Truth is sometimes stranger than fiction.

Curious if many listen to Brad Riter instead of wgr programming?

I listen to Riter now on my way home from work.

I cant stand Mike Schoop anymore. I wish him to be run over by a fat man in a wheelchair at some point in his life. He is a miserable POS that doesnt respect anyone's opinon. At the same time he thinks of his own opinions as the best ever. Hes just pissed because no one listens to his dumb hobby show, and because he couldnt cut it at ESPN.

I agree that he is definitely opinionated, and his opinion about the draft is one that would not be much agreed on by many of the league's football men. You need good lines before anything can be done on the ground or through the air. A high end DE, OT are more meaningful than an equivalently talented playmaker if the team choosing is hurting on the lines. Sure, if a team has solid lines then it should consider a great playmaker over a great lineman; but, when building a team you've got to have solid lines first. Every draft offers different talent pools per position, too. So, if there are a very limited number of playmakers as opposed to a deep run of linemen, then that effects how things pan out, too.

Maybe he's saying that good linemen should be able to be found any year, in the later rounds of the draft, playmakers not.

I agree with him that from your team you should be able to expect they'll find gems and put together a good roster quickly, and be better talent evaluators, etc., but our team hasn't done that and we've been so long out of the playoffs I think most the fans and even the F.O. would be more comfortable with high talent linemen to fill those holes and give them a better chance.

Marvel Smith was the 38th pick in the draft and Light was the 48th pick. That makes 5 of the 8 drafted in the top 50 picks of their classes, which is 1.5 rounds of the draft. The Steelers didn't really walk into the season wanting to play their RT at LT, so I don't think that one really counts for much. That leaves Diehl and Gandy. The Giants were one of teams looking to trade for Jason Peters despite giving Diehl a new contract 1 year ago after the Super Bowl. Hmm. Finally, Gandy is a journeyman and was totally overmatched in the Super Bowl against James Harrison. It would be a hard sell to convince everyone the Cardinals weren't worried about that and didn't try to scheme up help for their average LT.

So now the first 50 picks equal the first round? You can try and make the numbers say anything you want but the fact of the matter is championship teams use different strategies to get there no matter how certain you think that only you can be right.

Schopp looks like he's on drugs to people who are stupid.

I've heard a lot of different sports radio shows around the country, and I have to say that I am glad for the people we have at WGR (minus my personal opinions on Jeremy White, who is smart, I just don't like his attitude). The people here are eloquent, and aren't just people who scream into the microphone and carry uneducated opinions and speak.

The problem is, WGR is listened to by a bunch of mentally incapable people (as evident by the callers), so to them, the people of WGR "suck."

He looks like what? While he's on the radio. Sorry, he is rude and cuts people off. If you think he speaks his opinion, you are foolish- he is a different person when he has a national audience. He says whatever he thinks will incite the plebeians (look it up).

The people at WGR suck, just like Jim Rome. Face it, you are FOX or CNN, I am CSPAN. But heck, at least I give you something to look up to.

Curious if many listen to Brad Riter instead of wgr programming?

Schopp is great to listen to when they talk about hockey.

He's not into football and it shows. He is smarter than the average fan, but does not do the homework you'd expect from a journalist.

Riter is much better at covering football. He has some informed sources and often delivers opinions that have value.

I like football better than hockey, so I listen to 1230 over 550.

He's not into football and it shows. He is smarter than the average fan, but does not do the homework you'd expect from a journalist.

Riter is much better at covering football. He has some informed sources and often delivers opinions that have value.

Schopp is very intelligent, but that doesn't cut it on plebian talk radio

The point being that there is no one way to build a Super Bowl team. As previously stated only 2 of the 7(Pittsburgh played twice) teams that played on the last 4 Super Bowls had a LT they drafted first. And on those same seven teams only 3 of their quarterbacks were first round picks. If you go by straight percentages, and I'm saying you should, it would seem that your odds are better if you don't draft a quarterback or a left tackle in the first round.

So you marginalize the position because you've generalized that some teams don't have first round LT's? Both Pittsburgh and Arizona's biggest needs in this coming draft is OL, specifically LT.

Roethlisberger got hammered a lot last year, and not just in the bar. Gandy's lack of ability made things more interesting than they should have for Warner. And I'd also point out that the Cards drafted a first round tackle in Levi Brown, who's been playing RT.

Percentages only count at the end of the season for contract talks. And because there's no stat to measure OL, just Pro Bowl and All Pro voting, most people don't know what makes Peters, just that he's a (former) malcontent.

How much do you want to bet?

You must be sharing drugs with Schopp.

I wish I was sharing some drugs with him right now...god knows I could use some :ph34r:

I just have a gut feeling (No Inside Source). The Bills will not draft an OL in the first round unless Mack is there at 28...History says they won't draft an OL with #11...especially after Williams. I don't see them taking a TE @11 as the TE class is deep with receiving TEs. A DE @ 11 is most likely and an LB or Mack at 28...I honestly think the FO is content with Walker and Bell/Chambers - They will not put a rookie on the line this year -No way they will do that with TO and DJ on the hotseat. The second round will see them grab a TE or Best available player if a good one slides...IF it is a crappy season expect an OL to be drafted next season...

I just want to add that this is what I expect the Bills to do, not necessarily what I want them to do..

Mike Schopp is an egotistical jerk who loves to hear himself talk, and also is forever trying to take the "different" or "unique" approach. I have no idea what he means if he is saying the Bills should concentrate on people who "have the ball."

Well said.

I think the first three picks will be a DE, LB and TE (No particular order)...You won't see an OL until round 3...

the only exception would be if Mack is available at 28....

I am in agreement with Mack at 28. I would love him there.

Pettigrew in a trade down pick up an additional 3rd rounder

Mack at 28

Best available pass rusher with 2nd round pick. Praying that Michael Johnson will be there at our 2nd.

Best available linebacker and OT with round 3 pick.

This is the thing......while the bills front office does seem totally inept to me at times I say there is NO WAY they trade Peters regardless of the POS he was without a plan of what they were going to do post Peters....and that cant include taking a OT at 11 because you dont know how the draft is going to play out. They must like D. Bell a whole lot and it would not suprise me to see this team put D. Bell at LT and make sure he always has help on that side.

Mack at 28

Best available pass rusher with 2nd round pick. Praying that Michael Johnson will be there at our 2nd.

This is the thing......while the bills front office does seem totally inept to me at times I say there is NO WAY they trade Peters regardless of the POS he was without a plan of what they were going to do post Peters....and that cant include taking a OT at 11 because you dont know how the draft is going to play out. They must like D. Bell a whole lot and it would not suprise me to see this team put D. Bell at LT and make sure he always has help on that side.

I didnt bring up a trade down from 11, but it is a good possibility this year depending if a QB is there - many teams will want to get ahead of Denver, the Bills would be almost nuts not to take the trade and pick up a pile picks. If they do trade down I agree, Pettigrew it is.

Mike is a fairly smart guy but only about half as smart as he thinks he is- his lack of football knowledge can be astonishing.

one of the unforgivable things about the Peters trade was that it made me listen to WGR for the first time in a year.

I wish I was sharing some drugs with him right now...god knows I could use some :ph34r:

I just have a gut feeling (No Inside Source). The Bills will not draft an OL in the first round unless Mack is there at 28...History says they won't draft an OL with #11...especially after Williams. I don't see them taking a TE @11 as the TE class is deep with receiving TEs. A DE @ 11 is most likely and an LB or Mack at 28...I honestly think the FO is content with Walker and Bell/Chambers - They will not put a rookie on the line this year -No way they will do that with TO and DJ on the hotseat. The second round will see them grab a TE or Best available player if a good one slides...IF it is a crappy season expect an OL to be drafted next season...

I just want to add that this is what I expect the Bills to do, not necessarily what I want them to do..

We'll see on Saturday. I would be shocked if they don't select an O-lineman on day 1 though.

Mack at 28

I do like this scenario - and I am also high on Mack - but this might be a safer route:

Take Johnson at #28, and use #42 to take Eric Wood, C/G out of Louisville. I think the dropoff from Johnson to the next pass rusher is greater than the dropoff from Mack to Wood. Plus pass rush is a bigger need, IMO.

But if your scenario actually did work out, that'd be better.

If the offensive weapon is Pettigrew then yes.

It isn't just because he is hands down the best Tight ENd in this draft....his size and blocking ability will be very helpful when we need to keep him in and help out a tackle and also blocking the edge for the run.......

I just dont want to draft him at 11 IF we can trade down and get another pick....

my fantasy draft is that we trade down a few spots for someone gunning for a qb (and i think the WRs, QBs, OTs, corners, and maybe even a couple of the top RBs will clutter things up) and we get brown/orakpo/maybin and pettigrew (might have to give back found picks to do this) in the first.

if we don't have to give back too many found picks, we can get OG/T and OLB in the 2nd and 3rd.

I think you are right. I don't lsten to GR round the clock (I live in Texas) but I do listen to their audio vault segments, pretty much every day. When I hear those, I think Shcoop is okay, not near as bad as people here make him out to be. However, once or twice last football season, I listened to the GR, Bills post game show, and I thought Schoop was an awful host. I like his collectables show, but his intolerance, and lack of any desire, whatsover, to talk about the Bills, just bled through. True, most of the callers were redudant, but he just sounded so disinterested. I wish I could remember all the details, but I remember thinking, after they were discussing the Bills failure to get a first down, late in a game, after going for it, "this guy either knows nothing about football, or is too lazy to think..."

Another GR guy I have mixed feelings about is Paul Hamilton. He seems like a good guy, and I love to listen to his Sabres reports. But why (other than the love of $) does GR have him covering the Bills? He gives it an effort, but it is obvious he knows little about football, and I am not even sure if he likes the sport. First class, as far as hockey goes...but not so much for the NFL....