Madden Retiring from broadcasting

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Please please please please please please let this be true.

Now I will actually want to listen to an NFC game!!!

His rantings of squirrels and snickers wrappers on the field are soooo riveting !!!

You do know he switched from Fox to NBC a couple of years back, right? If not, I hate to think about all the games you missed while you were waiting for him to leave ...

:thumbsup:

aggie, Collinsworth would be a good call.

seems awful sudden.....most people who reach this level of success dont walk away.....i wonder if there is a health issue he is keeping quiet on.....anyways, best of luck to him.

Yeah, but most people who reach this level of success also fly, which reduces the strain on family life. Madden doesn't fly, and having to travel by bus each week to every game means that he wasn't home for pretty much 17 straight weeks every year.

aggie, Collinsworth would be a good call.

Yeah, NBC could finally keep their promise to him from when he originally signed on to be Al's color analyst.

Then Madden jumped too, and Collinsworth was stuck in the studio. NBC has hired/assigned/gets commentary from Olbermann, Dan Patrick, Bettis, Tiki Barber, Peter King, Bob Costas, and the Iraqi Information Minister.

All for an hour of recaps/news/notes and a halftime. Way too crowded.

I could see them wanting to give Bettis or Barber a shot, too, tho.

I live in the same town John Madden does and he really is a good guy - he and his wife do a lot for the community. A real Buffalo type of guy. I saw him in a restaurant a month or so ago out of the corner of my eye and did not immediately recognize him. He had a baseball hat on and just seemed to be a VERY old and feeble man. Hands shaking, etc. When I did recognize him I said "hi coach" and he said hello back and I remember thinking how very old he looked and how he can't keep announcing much longer.

I'll miss him as he was still my favorite in the booth.

I like Madden too. I wonder who will step in to work with Al Michaels (who is also exellent in my opinion).

Hopefully Chris Collinsworth. Chris is the best color guy oout there - better than Jaws.

I could see them wanting to give Bettis or Barber a shot, too, tho.

Heh - one of Bettis' first gigs was at a CIN feature game, one of those where the announcing illuminati do their outdoor stage thing. Evidently, he stuck his SB ring finger for "lifetime accomplishments" out to the crowd (I've never seen a more pre-ordained SB than PGH - SEA) into the fans' faces. Heavy booing ensued, and Betty exited the stage with Collinsworth remaining with a wry smile and a comment...

:thumbsup:

But now, who replaces him? Collinsworth?

That'd be a great choice! :thumbdown:

Hopefully Chris Collinsworth. Chris is the best color guy oout there - better than Jaws.

I disagree. Nobody breaks down film better than Jaws.

ETA: I think he's retiring because it looks like Favre is seriously retiring this year. :lol: