• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

From Chris Brown. This is Russ Brandon's overview of the Peters' situation:

http://blogs.buffalobills.com/2009/04/15/peters-update/

Bills COO/GM Russ Brandon addressed the Jason Peters contract situation at the team’s draft luncheon Wednesday. Here was his update on the team’s Pro Bowl left tackle.

“Obviously we’ve talked about this ad nauseum, but we value Jason greatly as a player,” said Brandon. “He’s a player that we developed and signed to a contract early in his career. Obviously Jason has done a great job and played very well. At the conclusion of the year we talked to Jason and we’d obviously like to have him on this team and will continue to work with his representatives to get something done.”

When asked if he needs to come to a resolution or definitive answer as to where things are headed with Peters in negotiations prior to the draft, he offered the following.

“We’re going to see how the situation plays out,” said Brandon. ”We want him on this football team and expect him to be on this football team.”

Visit Chris' blog--it will help pay the extra $500K a year the Bills will need to get this deal done...

Bills COO/GM Russ Brandon addressed the Jason Peters contract situation at the team’s draft luncheon Wednesday. Here was his update on the team’s Pro Bowl left tackle.

“Obviously we’ve talked about this ad nauseum, but we value Jason greatly as a player,” said Brandon. “He’s a player that we developed and signed to a contract early in his career. Obviously Jason has done a great job and played very well. At the conclusion of the year we talked to Jason and we’d obviously like to have him on this team and will continue to work with his representatives to get something done.”

When asked if he needs to come to a resolution or definitive answer as to where things are headed with Peters in negotiations prior to the draft, he offered the following.

“We’re going to see how the situation plays out,” said Brandon. ”We want him on this football team and expect him to be on this football team.”

Visit Chris' blog--it will help pay the extra $500K a year the Bills will need to get this deal done...

My interpretation of what Russ says is that there is good chance that he will be a Bill but that the Bill's FO are open to entertaining offers, and if the deal is too good to pass up, then they will take it.

Guest dog14787
It's all my fault for multi-tasking while watching total access. I have Astro's back on this one--blame it on me.

It only seems fair then that you make up the difference in salary thus ending this problem once and for all. I realize it seems somewhat costly, but it is for the best of the the team.

Ralph Wilson has also decided he will throw in a pair of season tickets so its really not all that bad. <_<

Sounds to me like things are going nowhere fast. Nothing positive said, nothing negative said. Just the standard.... we like him, we want him here, we'll see how it goes. Not at all reassuring in my mind. If anything I'd say the rumors are close to be accurate - Bills made him and offer and Parker said we'll talk when you get serious; and there's been nothing since.

It only seems fair then that you make up the difference in salary thus ending this problem once and for all. I realize it seems somewhat costly, but it is for the best of the the team.

Ralph Wilson has also decided he will throw in a pair of season tickets so its really not all that bad. <_<

Can I use Monopoly Money?

Bills Season Tickets = A prescription of agony :-)

Sounds to me like things are going nowhere fast. Nothing positive said, nothing negative said. Just the standard.... we like him, we want him here, we'll see how it goes. Not at all reassuring in my mind. If anything I'd say the rumors are close to be accurate - Bills made him and offer and Parker said we'll talk when you get serious; and there's been nothing since.

To me it all depends on whether the Bills internally have decided to make the draft a self-imposed deadline for a decision (for obvious reasons). Either way, however, there is no great incentive for the Peters contingent or the Bills to make their final offer until right before that happens, or the mandatory OTAs happen. That's just how these things often work when it is difficult. It's possible that either side will say, okay, lets get more serious and give in a little but when we are talking close to or above eight figures a year, it's hardball and there is no way around it.

To me it all depends on whether the Bills internally have decided to make the draft a self-imposed deadline for a decision (for obvious reasons). Either way, however, there is no great incentive for the Peters contingent or the Bills to make their final offer until right before that happens, or the mandatory OTAs happen. That's just how these things often work when it is difficult. It's possible that either side will say, okay, lets get more serious and give in a little but when we are talking close to or above eight figures a year, it's hardball and there is no way around it.

To me, draft day HAS to be the deadline for the Peters situation to shake out one way or the other, particularly for the Bills sake. Either they come to an agreement with Peters and Co. that works for the Buffalo Bills as a franchise moving forward, or they move him for picks that can help compensate for the loss. It's too great of a risk for the Bills not to have a left tackle locked in after April 25th passes. By the way, Chambers is not anywhere near a viable answer to that dilemma IMO.

I don't think it is so much a deadline based on time, but more so what teams are willing to offer. If team's don't pony up something that they view as acceptable, then my guess is they won't trade him, and they will be willing to keep the communications lines open, and if need be, prepare themselves for a holdout, which I don't believe will happen. Now, I don't know what the Bills FO would consider acceptable compensation, but my guess is that they want at least a 1st and 3rd.

To me, draft day HAS to be the deadline for the Peters situation to shake out one way or the other, particularly for the Bills sake. Either they come to an agreement with Peters and Co. that works for the Buffalo Bills as a franchise moving forward, or they move him for picks that can help compensate for the loss. It's too great of a risk for the Bills not to have a left tackle locked in after April 25th passes. By the way, Chambers is not anywhere near a viable answer to that dilemma IMO.

I agree with that to an extent. The problem lies if on the day of the draft, Peters and the Bills are, lets just say, one million dollars apart. The Bills are offering 9 mil a year and Peters wants 10 mil a year.

1] If the Bills think that is too big of a gap, or they are unwilling to go a dollar higher, they may think it's unworkable and feel like they have to trade him.

2] But they may think that a million dollars is close enough and that if it's only between 9 and 10 we can still make a deal.

3] They may also say okay, we don't know if we can make a deal but lets talk turkey with other teams and if an offer is good enough, lets take it.

4] They may also say we think it's close and it's possible and we may sign him but lets talk with other teams and play hardball and only if an offer blows us away lets take it.

We just don't know what they are thinking and in all likelihood, they haven't come to that decision yet themselves.

I am with you. You have to figure the Peters situation out before the draft. This team has tipped its hand that it is putting a lot of effort into trying to win this season. The T.O signing being the biggest signal. If the Peters deal isn't completed then you are looking at a 'blind' draft. The Bills already have a whole to fill at LG and then also the unknown at LT isn't very reassuring. Get him signed or traded by draft day. Or this thing turns into a real headache like last year.

No doubt about that. For me at least, that's what is so frustrating about this whole thing - why play hardball with a player you know is deserving of the money. It almost has to be Peters' agent. The Bills' FO have shown they can be completely had at times (Schobel, Kelsay). They spoke very highly of Evans last year and all but assured everyone that the deal was done - even though it took several more months to be finalized. They never said much of anything about Stroud (or at least that I read); they just got it done relatively quickly.

Yet, with Peters there's all this posturing and hard ball stances. It puzzles me. I can only surmise that his agent has completely misplayed the Bills' FO. Drew walks in and gets TO a deal in 2 days and Parker's been at it over a year and they seem no closer than when they started.

No doubt about that. For me at least, that's what is so frustrating about this whole thing - why play hardball with a player you know is deserving of the money. It almost has to be Peters' agent. The Bills' FO have shown they can be completely had at times (Schobel, Kelsay). They spoke very highly of Evans last year and all but assured everyone that the deal was done - even though it took several more months to be finalized. They never said much of anything about Stroud (or at least that I read); they just got it done relatively quickly.

Yet, with Peters there's all this posturing and hard ball stances. It puzzles me. I can only surmise that his agent has completely misplayed the Bills' FO. Drew walks in and gets TO a deal in 2 days and Parker's been at it over a year and they seem no closer than when they started.

It seems to me that Evans was renegotiating for a year and a half before he signed (from the first time we heard they were talking to when he signed). It's just approaching that amount of time for Peters soon.

It seems to me that Evans was renegotiating for a year and a half before he signed (from the first time we heard they were talking to when he signed). It's just approaching that amount of time for Peters soon.

Good point. Perhaps it's just the rosy shades of my memories, but Evans getting re-signed always seemed like such a sure thing. Maybe it was seeing him in camp and OTAs, saying no worries.

I'd tend to agree with a few others here on the draft deadline. Either you're absolutely certain you can get him signed before OTAs or you make a move and draft a LT, IMO. But, to not draft a LT and not be certain you can close the deal, means Chambers is your backup plan.

I agree with that to an extent. The problem lies if on the day of the draft, Peters and the Bills are, lets just say, one million dollars apart. The Bills are offering 9 mil a year and Peters wants 10 mil a year.

1] If the Bills think that is too big of a gap, or they are unwilling to go a dollar higher, they may think it's unworkable and feel like they have to trade him.

2] But they may think that a million dollars is close enough and that if it's only between 9 and 10 we can still make a deal.

3] They may also say okay, we don't know if we can make a deal but lets talk turkey with other teams and if an offer is good enough, lets take it.

4] They may also say we think it's close and it's possible and we may sign him but lets talk with other teams and play hardball and only if an offer blows us away lets take it.

We just don't know what they are thinking and in all likelihood, they haven't come to that decision yet themselves.

All valid points. I will add one thing: If the Bills and Peters are 1 mill a year apart as in the scenario that you presented, they BETTER f <_< ing get a deal done. IMO, it would be an absolutely absurd move to move a left tackle, who has already proven to be AT LEAST a good-very good player in the NFL, only to end up having to draft a rookie who we know nothing about at the next level. Not over $1 million per year. Decisions like that are what set back franchises for years. If you want to win NOW and the gap with Peters is that close as draft day nears, you make the damn deal. Then use the draft to focus on the rest of your needs instead of worrying about using the extra mid-late first rounder you picked up in a Peters deal on an unknown like Andre Smith or Michael Oher.

All valid points. I will add one thing: If the Bills and Peters are 1 mill a year apart as in the scenario that you presented, they BETTER f <_< ing get a deal done. IMO, it would be an absolutely absurd move to move a left tackle, who has already proven to be AT LEAST a good-very good player in the NFL, only to end up having to draft a rookie who we know nothing about at the next level. Not over $1 million per year. Decisions like that are what set back franchises for years. If you want to win NOW and the gap with Peters is that close as draft day nears, you make the damn deal. Then use the draft to focus on the rest of your needs instead of worrying about using the extra mid-late first rounder you picked up in a Peters deal on an unknown like Andre Smith or Michael Oher.

I have a question: If the Bills move from $8.5 to $10M and Peters never budges from $11, who's wrong? We keep saying "it's just a million" but are the Bills supposed to just bend over? If that's what happens, watch at least a dozen Bills players line up for new deals. And why not? The Bills will look like a giant ATM machine.

PTR

I have a question: If the Bills move from $8.5 to $10M and Peters never budges from $11, who's wrong? We keep saying "it's just a million" but are the Bills supposed to just bend over? If that's what happens, watch at least a dozen Bills players line up for new deals. And why not? The Bills will look like a giant ATM machine.

PTR

Here's my question: What players on this team are going to be in the position, in regards to both their careers thus far and with their contract status, to even begin to think that it is their time for a new deal? The only one I can think of is Fred Jackson. We just extended Stroud. Did the same with Evans last year. What other players on the team have out-performed their contracts to the point where they should be coming to Brandon and Co. asking for a new deal and expecting not to be laughed at? I really cannot think of one other than Jackson. "Watch at least a dozen Bills players line up for new deals". Are you kidding? That is terrible reasoning for not completing a deal with Peters if they are $1 million apart.

The one steady factor here is that the bills have taken care of the players that came in and acted like they were a part of the team........bottom line.

Why cant Peters understand that?

Apparently you missed the Wonderlick discussion in another thread.