Peters to be traded by Friday

Don

He seems to be motivated only by the money, and you know very well that he won't be happy that he's not the highest paid OL in 2011. I don't want that guy on the team.

I don't know that at all. If that is the case, I don't want him on my team. I fully believe he will be happy with 60+ million in his pocket and love being on the Bills. That is just an opinion.

I don't think that just because players hold out and don't kowtow to the media that they only care about money. I don't think Jason Peters has a much different attitude about money than 95% of the players in the league. I just think the way he chooses to deal with the media is what is different. It doesn't mean he's a bad guy, it just means he's a different breed. I do know the Bills say to themselves "Jason will be Jason" from a very reliable source.

• Replies 172
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't know that at all. If that is the case, I don't want him on my team. I fully believe he will be happy with 60+ million in his pocket and love being on the Bills. That is just an opinion.

I don't think that just because players hold out and don't kowtow to the media that they only care about money. I don't think Jason Peters has a much different attitude about money than 95% of the players in the league. I just think the way he chooses to deal with the media is what is different. It doesn't mean he's a bad guy, it just means he's a different breed. I do know the Bills say to themselves "Jason will be Jason" from a very reliable source.

When he talks to the media, he seems like a decent enough guy. I will say that in this one instance, his agent isn't doing him any good. Jason is a letter perfect example of a guy who should be represented by Rosenhaus.

When he talks to the media, he seems like a decent enough guy. I will say that in this one instance, his agent isn't doing him any good. Jason is a letter perfect example of a guy who should be represented by Rosenhaus.

Definately!

He's getting bad advice as it is. He should show up and work hard, the Bills will be impressed if he shows he's fully committed to being the best he can be and that he wants to be a part of the Bills organization. I don't know why he thinks staying at home, not talking to anyone while asking for huge dollars despite having no leverage will work. His a-hole approach isn't working, doesn't he see that? Maybe he wants outta Buffalo all together.

Definately!

He's getting bad advice as it is. He should show up and work hard, the Bills will be impressed if he shows he's fully committed to being the best he can be and that he wants to be a part of the Bills organization. I don't know why he thinks staying at home, not talking to anyone while asking for huge dollars despite having no leverage will work. His a-hole approach isn't working, doesn't he see that? Maybe he wants outta Buffalo all together.

As best as I can tell he has made a business judgment that with as you say he has no leverage to get the market value a two-time Pro Bowl (I do not place a ton of value in this but since this is decided based on the voting of coaches, his peers, and the market, what I think and you think has market value are mere sideshows) so he is trying to create a market for his services by forcing the Bills to EITHER cave by giving in to his demands or CAVE by trading him to another team (which will almost certainly make part of the deal their signing Peters to a long term deal. He wins in either the case of the Bills re-signing him or trading him.

My GUESS is that his agent made the argument to him that by holding out the entire pre-season last year he put himself into a position where as long as he played well in 2008 (Mission accomplished as George Bush would say with him getting the Pro Bowl nod whether you or I think he deserved it or not) he would put himself in a position where the Bills would likely CAVE and sign him long term or cave and trade him to another team which would be stupid if they traded for Peters and merely inherited the Bills hold out because they too refused to sign him to a long term deal.

His agent probably argued that the worst case for Peters would be if the Bills refused to CAVE to his demand for a new contract by holding him and forcing him to play under the deal he himself agreed to. In the worse case Peters ends up getting fined $600K last year (a considerable sum but given he is getting millions to play a boys game pretty small relative to the wealth his is building even under his current contract.

The agents probably argued as far as tactics go, that there is nothing he is gonna say that either convinces the Bills or the public of the correctness of views (mostly because his mercenary approach is wrong in my view) and if there is nothing to be gained from anything you can say then simply shut up..

The tough part is that the Bills do not appear to be willing to cave with the contractual leverage they have creating no market for Peters. Ironically, the reports are the Bills and he are still miles apart with the Bills at least #3 million a year below Peters demand of $11 mill annually or so,

However, if this really true the Peters has won as he is under contract for a couple of years at about $4 million a year, He went from a situation where the Bills simply refused to negotiate where apparently the Bills figure is $4 million above his current salary.

Perhaps you are right that the Bills would have made Peters an $8 million offer if he had just not held out....

Perhaps I am a cynic in this world of AIGs and Madoffs, but I doubt the Bills would have simply opened up their wallets to extend Peters because it was the right thing to do

Just received a Yahoo IM from a source deeeeeeep within stating that Peters is to be dealt for similar to what the Broncos got for Cutler. This is from so deep that Dick himself is going to release a statement by weeks end prior to the deal explaining the terms

ummm....How and why would Dick explain the terms of a deal that hasn't actually happened yet?

Can you cite an example where a team has ever called a press conference to explain a deal "prior to the deal" just to give everyone a heads up??

I may be crazy but exposing your negotiations prior to a contract being executed would be about the most moronic thing a front office could do when trying to nail down a trade. And for doing this foolish thing, the Bills would gain what exactly? As opposed to explaining its terms after the deal is done?

Definately!

And if he shows up and gets injured in an OTA? What would happen then? I know all you would be agents are far smarter than Peters' actual agent so please explain to me why, on the cusp of a new deal or trade, would Peters risk obliterating his economic value in a meaningless OTA in April for godsake?

Don't quit your day job.

And if he shows up and gets injured in an OTA? What would happen then? I know all you would be agents are far smarter than Peters' actual agent so please explain to me why, on the cusp of a new deal or trade, would Peters risk obliterating his economic value in a meaningless OTA in April for godsake?

Don't quit your day job.

Obviously the Bills reward players who show up. He didn't. And that is a bad move by him and his agent.

I defy anyone to watch every play last year and say with a straight face that Jason Peters was no good. He was VERY good and very often dominant. He surely let about six too many single plays get by him, almost always when DE's faked him out. It wasn't being out of shape, it wasn't a lack of effort, it wasn't because he sucks. He didn't have a fabulous year but if anyone took the time to watch the actual tape, play after play after play, like I know the Bills did, he was a Pro Bowl player. If you just watch the highlights he wasnt.

The Bills apparently started negotiating at 8.5 mil a year, and IMO are very likely going to offer him 10+ mil a year. That means they think he is great, too. If he is traded, that means a team thinks he is amongst the top 1-3 LTs in the entire league. I want that guy on my team.

Just to play devil's advocate (and I think Peters is excellent), it seems inarguable to me that Peters had poor performances against the Jags, the Raiders, and the Rams (games 2-4). He gave up a bad sack to Chris Long, was abused by the Raiders for three quarters, and gave up a bad sack to the Jags. Compare him to Bruce Smith, who despite the holdouts always played well at the beginning of seasons.

Just to play devil's advocate (and I think Peters is excellent), it seems inarguable to me that Peters had poor performances against the Jags, the Raiders, and the Rams (games 2-4). He gave up a bad sack to Chris Long, was abused by the Raiders for three quarters, and gave up a bad sack to the Jags. Compare him to Bruce Smith, who despite the holdouts always played well at the beginning of seasons.

I think this is true. However, a long with a rough year by Peters last year the simple fact is that he did win a Pro Bowl berth many of us Bills fans did not feel he deserved, but the market is commanded by other folks who with their votes for Pro Bowl established the decisionmakers in the NFL (the coaches, his peer players and the customer who is always right for any successful business.

Like it or not, Peters can ride his young age, substantial initial achievements, and the 2 Pro Bowl honors to a big contract IF he was in the free market.

What Peters and his agent have been all about is attempting to create a market for him where contractually there is not one.

The Bills held a position that they would not renegotiate Peters contract last year. After his holdout last pre-season, slow start and inconsistent play, but still winning the Pro Bowl nod, reports are that the Bills have moved from offering him zero to not only making an offer but reports have them $3 million apart with is demands escalating to about $11 million.

Peters has offered no public argument because quite frankly he has no good arguments to make just a market based argument which is true (but contractually there is no market). By all outside reports Peters has moved the Bills $8 million bucks annually. If true he is clearly winning and though one may argue that he would have done better if he had simply shown up last year. It sure looks like Peters is winning.

Ironically, a vocal part of the fan base on TSW and WGR want to screw him by trading him when actually a trade would be a total cave giving him what he is after as almost certainly any team that traded for him would make a willingess to show him the money and not simply take on Peters's holdout as their problem. Such a trade would set a horrible precedent for Bills players who feel they have some market value if there was a free market by showing you simply need to be a jerk and the Bills will trade you to a team who will then give you the contract you want.

Its hard to tell because there are no objective signs yet of a contract being done, but the press reports see, to reflect that Peters leverage had greatly increased with the market being a huge deal if he accepts the reported Bills offer and some advocating a bigger contract for him even still if he got traded.

Don't quit your day job.

Peters is more likely to pull a hammy running after the ice cream truck than at OTA's.

PTR

The thing that bothered me the most about him this past season were his excuses after the games, "Well, I thoroughly dominated, except for that one (game changing) play." He would never man up.

The thing that bothered me the most about him this past season were his excuses after the games, "Well, I thoroughly dominated, except for that one (game changing) play." He would never man up.

I agree with you, but I gotta say, if there's one expression that needs to die, it's "man up." It sounds like something a fat, balding elementary-school gym teacher would say. But, again, I agree.

I agree with you, but I gotta say, if there's one expression that needs to die, it's "man up." It sounds like something a fat, balding elementary-school gym teacher would say. But, again, I agree.

I totally disagree with you about the expression "man up". It means to be & act like a MAN. I see these young guys today wearing earrings with their hair dyed blonde, like women & I just want to shout......... MAN UP

Apples & Oranges. Anyone that knows football will tell you the O-line operates as a UNIT much more so than the D-Line. It takes TIME for the O-Line to get used to each other & jell. As GREAT as Bruce was, if he were an offensive tackle, he would have struggled as well after a hold out like Peters.

I totally disagree with you about the expression "man up". It means to be & act like a MAN. I see these young guys today wearing earrings with their hair dyed blonde, like women & I just want to shout......... MAN UP

Haha, I know what it means, it's just lame. It's like what some virgin UFC fan would say. Keep it classy: "Be responsible."

Haha, I know what it means, it's just lame. It's like what some virgin UFC fan would say. Keep it classy: "Be responsible."

I know you know what it means. I just think it is a good phrase for saying Be a MAN, ACT like a MAN. A WOMAN can "Be responsible" & more women are responsible then men. Whatever.................I think "Whatever" & "it is what it is" are both lame........not that I never use them. :worthy:

Cincy? Is that you?

As best as I can tell he has made a business judgment that with as you say he has no leverage to get the market value a two-time Pro Bowl (I do not place a ton of value in this but since this is decided based on the voting of coaches, his peers, and the market, what I think and you think has market value are mere sideshows) so he is trying to create a market for his services by forcing the Bills to EITHER cave by giving in to his demands or CAVE by trading him to another team (which will almost certainly make part of the deal their signing Peters to a long term deal. He wins in either the case of the Bills re-signing him or trading him.

My GUESS is that his agent made the argument to him that by holding out the entire pre-season last year he put himself into a position where as long as he played well in 2008 (Mission accomplished as George Bush would say with him getting the Pro Bowl nod whether you or I think he deserved it or not) he would put himself in a position where the Bills would likely CAVE and sign him long term or cave and trade him to another team which would be stupid if they traded for Peters and merely inherited the Bills hold out because they too refused to sign him to a long term deal.

His agent probably argued that the worst case for Peters would be if the Bills refused to CAVE to his demand for a new contract by holding him and forcing him to play under the deal he himself agreed to. In the worse case Peters ends up getting fined $600K last year (a considerable sum but given he is getting millions to play a boys game pretty small relative to the wealth his is building even under his current contract.

The agents probably argued as far as tactics go, that there is nothing he is gonna say that either convinces the Bills or the public of the correctness of views (mostly because his mercenary approach is wrong in my view) and if there is nothing to be gained from anything you can say then simply shut up..

The tough part is that the Bills do not appear to be willing to cave with the contractual leverage they have creating no market for Peters. Ironically, the reports are the Bills and he are still miles apart with the Bills at least #3 million a year below Peters demand of $11 mill annually or so,

However, if this really true the Peters has won as he is under contract for a couple of years at about $4 million a year, He went from a situation where the Bills simply refused to negotiate where apparently the Bills figure is $4 million above his current salary.

Perhaps you are right that the Bills would have made Peters an $8 million offer if he had just not held out....

Perhaps I am a cynic in this world of AIGs and Madoffs, but I doubt the Bills would have simply opened up their wallets to extend Peters because it was the right thing to do

Peters was not getting a new contract even if he showed up

Brandon told him in January that they would not re-do his deal with 3 years left.

Peters had no other option to convey his displeasure with the Bills position.

even after promising to re-do his deal when he returned to the team, they dragged their feet until the season ended before making an offer.

Peters was not getting a new contract even if he showed up

Brandon told him in January that they would not re-do his deal with 3 years left.

Peters had no other option to convey his displeasure with the Bills position.

even after promising to re-do his deal when he returned to the team, they dragged their feet until the season ended before making an offer.

The "promise" never changed. The Bills said they would discuss Peters contract for this coming year, if he reported. It was always the same promise. Parker just "reported" what everyone already knew, as his excuse to get Peters to the team, before the season started. Peters holdout accomplished nothing positive, and did a lot of damage. Had he showed up, last summer, he likely would have played better in 2008, and the contract negotiations might be going a little smoother, right now.

I feel the Bills should have redone his deal last year, but Peters sitting out was not his only option. Showing up, and getting into shape was also an option.