Would you ever consider getting a gun?

PTS

• Replies 153
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've been debating for a while now and am also wondering how many people are also in the same boat. I'm starting to lean toward getting a gun.

You look at all the recent stories and it's scary. I don't want my friends, family or me to be a victim because some nut job had a bad day.

With the way the world is today, I starting to think more good people need guns just in case some wacko decides to go off in public again, which seems to be a recurring trend lately.

Thoughts?

Usually the number 1 thing most safety instructors teach you is to not put yourself in dangerous positions in the first place. As in, don't take the dark alley shortcut home after a night out on the town at 4am. Or don't go partying on the East Side of St. Louis late at night.

Assuming you do that, and something like a hostage situation or shooting happens at a place you would normally feel is safe, your next step should be get out. You're not Bruce Willis defending the bank. Chances are, if a crazy group of Germans busts in to take over the bank as you're standing in line, and you're choices are run out the door, or jump behind the counter and draw your weapon...Run out the damn door.

Assuming you get stuck in the bank, and you are armed, you then need to decide what you can do about the situation. If it's you versus 5 armed Germans, well, I'm not sure those are such great odds unless you are unbelievably quick, an exceptional shot, and extremely lucky. So perhaps your best choice would be to remain calm, and try to let the police get you out of the situation. Only using your weapon as last resort, because with those odds, it's likely to be your very last action.

Perhaps you get stuck in the bank, and there's only 1 crazy German guy in there with a weapon. Well, this may be your opportunity to do something about that crazy kraut. But remember, you are legally responsible for every bullet that is fired out of your gun. So if you take out the cute bank teller and the old grandma in line as you're mowing down the German gunman, well...you just might be going to jail. Good intentions usually get you nowhere in the legal system.

I'm not saying don't own a gun. I and my wife both own handguns, have taken classes, and are licensed for concealed carry. I also own a few other guns. But thinking that just owning a gun will afford you safety or peace of mind in this world is a bit of a stretch. The number 1 thing that's gonna keep you safe is your preparation and forethought. A gun is a tool. If you don't know how to use the tool, it's worthless. If you're in a situation where the tool doesn't apply, it's worthless.

Be safe, be aware, and be prepared. If you think a gun fits into that, then I recommend you purchase and get trained on how to properly use and care for it. Hopefully you'll never have to use it for your own safety.

But there are many other enjoyable uses for guns besides personal (or family) safety. I highly recommend many of these as well.

Assuming you get stuck in the bank, and you are armed, you then need to decide what you can do about the situation. If it's you versus 5 armed Germans, well, I'm not sure those are such great odds unless you are unbelievably quick, an exceptional shot, and extremely lucky.

Or have a death wish. It's not written anywhere but Hollywood that you have to live through it. And keep in mind...even John McClane chose to get the hell out and call the cops before he went to war with Hans Gruber.

I'd guess, though, that at least 80% of the people who want to buy a gun "for protection" would sh-- their pants in a situation where a gun were useful and called for in self-defense. Most people just don't have the mindset (i.e. training) to adjust well to a fast-moving, threatening situation.

Or have a death wish. It's not written anywhere but Hollywood that you have to live through it. And keep in mind...even John McClane chose to get the hell out and call the cops before he went to war with Hans Gruber.

Yet another life lesson from Die Hard.

I'd guess, though, that at least 80% of the people who want to buy a gun "for protection" would sh-- their pants in a situation where a gun were useful and called for in self-defense. Most people just don't have the mindset (i.e. training) to adjust well to a fast-moving, threatening situation.

I always return to my one home invasion when I was actually at home. About 11pm on a Friday night. I've just taken out my contacts and my wife and daughter are in bed. I hear my back door open (before I got my home alarm). A gruff accented voice calls out from downstairs. I head to the top of my stairs and grab my dog. I tell whoever it is that they better get the hell out and that I'm holding back my dog (who is more dangerous as a 100 lb projectile than an attack dog). The voice sounds kind of high and confused saying that he's supposed to be in the house and what am I doing there. I repeat that he should get out of my house right now. Then he turns the corner to the staircase where I can (kind of) see him. It's then that I realize he's my dogwalker, who I forgot to cancel when I rescheduled a trip I was supposed to take. We share a somewhat adrenaline-pumped laugh. Ha ha (thud).

If I'd had a gun in that situation, I don't know if I would have shot him but I definitely would have had it out and pointed at him. A few more confused responses and it may have turned out really ugly. Me without contacts. Him not having the best grasp of English and stumbling around in the dark in his winter jacket and hat.

I have nothing against anyone having a gun but sincerely believe that most handguns are capable of way more harm to the owners (and their families) than good.

Yet another life lesson from Die Hard.

I always return to my one home invasion when I was actually at home. About 11pm on a Friday night. I've just taken out my contacts and my wife and daughter are in bed. I hear my back door open (before I got my home alarm). A gruff accented voice calls out from downstairs. I head to the top of my stairs and grab my dog. I tell whoever it is that they better get the hell out and that I'm holding back my dog (who is more dangerous as a 100 lb projectile than an attack dog). The voice sounds kind of high and confused saying that he's supposed to be in the house and what am I doing there. I repeat that he should get out of my house right now. Then he turns the corner to the staircase where I can (kind of) see him. It's then that I realize he's my dogwalker, who I forgot to cancel when I rescheduled a trip I was supposed to take. We share a somewhat adrenaline-pumped laugh. Ha ha (thud).

If I'd had a gun in that situation, I don't know if I would have shot him but I definitely would have had it out and pointed at him. A few more confused responses and it may have turned out really ugly. Me without contacts. Him not having the best grasp of English and stumbling around in the dark in his winter jacket and hat.

I have nothing against anyone having a gun but sincerely believe that most handguns are capable of way more harm to the owners (and their families) than good.

Your "dog walker" is in your domicile at 11 PM, and obviously has a key - and access into your house at any time? :thumbsup:

Nice to know you, it's just a matter of time...

Ha Ha.

I've never owned a gun and have no desire to ever get one. Having said that I am very much against gun control, I just don't want one.

I'm the type of person that would get much more satisfaction beating the mother !@#$er over the head with a baseball bat at close range. :thumbsup:

I've never owned a gun and have no desire to ever get one. Having said that I am very much against gun control, I just don't want one.

I'm the type of person that would get much more satisfaction beating the mother !@#$er over the head with a baseball bat at close range. <_<

Well - when you do, get a shotgun. Any kind will do.

For a handgun, a .38 Special revolver with 110 grain Winchester Silvertip cartridges settles the issue. Or .44 Special - not the magnum cartridge. Too muck kick, and night flash/blindness.

Forget Hollywood's semi-autos.

Well - when you do, get a shotgun. Any kind will do.

For a handgun, a .38 special revolver with 110 grain Winchester Silvertip cartridges settles the issue. Or .44 Special - not the Magnum.

Forget Hollywood's semi-autos.

You might want to read my post again.

What would I do with a nun?

Reminds me of one of my favorite M*A*S*H scenes:

Henry Blake: [on the phone with General Clayton, while reading from a book that's upside down] While I've got you on the pipe, the suggestion's been made that we could use an oh-four W. W. nug. Yeah, that's right, sir. A nug so that we can, uh, uh - what's a nug sir? Well, a nug is,

[Frank turns the book over]

Henry Blake: uh, a gun, sir. A 40 M. M. gun.

Trapper: Henry, you gotta be kidding!

Hawkeye: We definitely do not need a nug.

Frank Burns: Keep your snoots out of this!

Trapper: We don't need a gun or a nug.

Hawkeye: What are you trying to do, get us into the war?

Trapper: [grabbing the phone] General, listen, you send a gun up here, and that's gonna draw fire. That won't do our wounded very much good.

Henry Blake: [taking the phone back] Give me that!

Hawkeye: [grabbing the phone] Get rid of the ammo dump, and we won't need a gun.

Henry Blake: [taking the phone back] Do you mind?

Frank Burns: [grabbing the phone] The previous suggestion is contraindicated, we need an antiaircraft gun desperately, general.

Hawkeye: Frank, how would you like a spontaneous nose job?

I've been debating for a while now and am also wondering how many people are also in the same boat. I'm starting to lean toward getting a gun.

You look at all the recent stories and it's scary. I don't want my friends, family or me to be a victim because some nut job had a bad day.

With the way the world is today, I starting to think more good people need guns just in case some wacko decides to go off in public again, which seems to be a recurring trend lately.

Thoughts?

They should re-open the earthquake thread.

Given my life, I had no need of, or use for, a gun. I, generally, support the right of those who think they need one, to have one.

I more or less convinced that, had I owned a gun all these years, things would have been very different, and worse, for me.

You use so many commas.

Seriously though. The thought of TSW being armed is reason enough for gun control.

Some people here I'd trust with one.

But I don't even want to begin to think of combining Skooby and his desperate cravings for attention and complete lack of impulse control with a handgun.

Your "dog walker" is in your domicile at 11 PM, and obviously has a key - and access into your house at any time? <_<

Nice to know you, it's just a matter of time...

Now he has my alarm code too. Oh well. The only things I would hate to lose are my TiVo (because of the existing programs recorded) and my guitar. I'd hate if someone stole all my books too but that seems unlikely.

I purchased one shortly after 9/11. I took lesson at the range and learned how to use it. It is currently in a safe-deposit box. I have a 3.5 year old son. If anything happened to him because of it, I really couldn't forgive myself. And the whole safety-lock device thing sort of neutralizes it for home protection. 2 dogs and a home alarm system is enough protection for the house.