Would you ever consider getting a gun?

PTS

I've been debating for a while now and am also wondering how many people are also in the same boat. I'm starting to lean toward getting a gun.

You look at all the recent stories and it's scary. I don't want my friends, family or me to be a victim because some nut job had a bad day.

With the way the world is today, I starting to think more good people need guns just in case some wacko decides to go off in public again, which seems to be a recurring trend lately.

Thoughts?

• Replies 153
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think if you're getting a gun for protection in your every day life it's probably not a good idea. Unless you walk around with it 24/7 there's a good chance you won't have it in a situation that calls for it. If you are interested in learning how to use firearms and as a side benefit you get to have some home protection then I think it's a great idea.

The main reason I don't have a gun is that if I did, I'd play w/ it. Guns are not something that you should "play" w/.

That said, although it certainly would be a necessity for TEOTWAWKI, fortunately for me as for most of us, it's something that we likely would never need or use and considering that in some circumstances, merely possessing one could easily escalate a bad situation to worse, I'd say if you haven't "needed" one yet, I'd consider other options (moving, self-defense classes, etc) 1st.

honestly yes. i want to get my NYS pistol permit and wouldnt mind having an ar-15 variant for home.

im not a gun nut by any means, but would like to be able to protect myself and family.

Sounds like a Fujikura shaft.

Given my life, I had no need of, or use for, a gun. I, generally, support the right of those who think they need one, to have one.

I more or less convinced that, had I owned a gun all these years, things would have been very different, and worse, for me.

If I had a reason to believe there was some danger to me from somebody I would purchase a gun. If I had a high risk job I'd purchase a gun. However, for home safety of a regular person like myself I don't need one. If I had kids I definitely wouldn't own one.

I've been debating for a while now and am also wondering how many people are also in the same boat. I'm starting to lean toward getting a gun.

You look at all the recent stories and it's scary. I don't want my friends, family or me to be a victim because some nut job had a bad day.

With the way the world is today, I starting to think more good people need guns just in case some wacko decides to go off in public again, which seems to be a recurring trend lately.

Thoughts?

I would take the time to learn how to properly use a firearm and practice gun safety. If you feel like it would give you a sense of comfort, I'd say do it. If you have children, take the time to teach them as well. You might even find a new hobby.

Thoughts?

I think anyone who buys a gun because "With the way the world is today", "You look at all the recent stories and it's scary" is probably being overly reactionary.

I think anyone who buys a gun because "With the way the world is today", "You look at all the recent stories and it's scary" is probably being overly reactionary.

This is something I've been debating for a long time. I have a variety of valid reasons why I would consider getting one. "The way the world is today" is one of them, and why shouldn't it be, but it's definitely not the only reason.

You never know when Skooby and his posse of BMW's rolls up on your lawn and starts shooting (rumors). You need to be prepared. :beer:

Personally, I think people who have guns, would be more inclined to use it as opposed to non gun owners. I am not advocating that it should be illegal or criticizing those who own guns, I just think the temptation is there if you have one.

Rage is a feeling that a lot of people experience at some point, and if you are a gunowner, then the temptation to use a gun during these uncontrollable periods would be much more dangerous with a person that is a gunowner.

These kids that go on these rampages have one common denominator, and that is that their parents were all gunowners. My feelings are that if they never had a gun in their house, it probably would of never happened.

Of course this is a huge generalization, and there are undoubtedly many responsable gun owners, but I think they offer more harm than protection.

I don't think statistically things are any worse than they were before the growth of 24 hour news channels and shows about murders and mayhem. It's the over exposure of these things that makes America a paranoid society. JMO

"Personally, I think people who have guns, would be more inclined to use it as opposed to non gun owners."

I think that is a given. Hard to use something you don't have. I don't carry in public but at home? My first response will not b to call 911,I assure you.

If somebody breaks into another person's house and the owner shoots them :beer: It's one less jackass in the world.

I hate the relatives of people who are shot in these circumstances. It's always "He was a good kid, he didn't deserve it" type BS. If your kid was a good kid he wouldn't be dead. 'Nuff said.

The family of a kid who shot a cop in the back of the head here in Rochester said the same damn things. :worthy:

I have a few guns,and have had them for years. When I was younger I got a feeling of safety by having them with me. But as I got older and lived a little I've found that most of the times that you would think that the gun would be your protection,it's not. That's because of the element of suprise. I've had a gun stuck in my face and it was probably a good thing I didn't have mine with me that day because it just would have made it worse. You usually just don't have time to pull the gun in most situations.

Thoughts?

YES It is YOUR job to defend yourself and your family, NOT the police.

Take a course, get your pistol permit, buy the gun and practice with it.

Obamas making it very hard for us to protect ourselves. Get it now before you may not be able to.

The next thing that drives me crazy is the stupid rules the states have for carrying a weapon.

I have a small arsenal. Finally had to buy a gun safe for them all. I wonder if a citizen in Binghamton had been carrying, all those people had to die at the hands of that gunman. O the other hand I've found that there are more places that you cant carry a weapon, than places you can.

I am confident however that anyone that breaks into my house at night will be a chalk outline in the morning.

I have a couple hand guns and we have 10 rifles and 4 shotguns. It is north central Pa. and hunting and shooting are big. And yes I do have a hand gun permit . Every member in the house knows about safety and such. I live in a rural area, nearest neighbor so far is a half mile away. Sometimes its worse with theft and breakins because nobody can see your house. I`ve had more than one event of someone coming down my quarter mile drive at 2or 3 in the morning posted with no tress -pass private drive. It`s a little scary with these rednecks prowling around looking for something at this hour . Just make sure you keep it in a safe place and have the ammo locked seperate with children around.