Would you ever consider getting a gun?

PTS

YES It is YOUR job to defend yourself and your family, NOT the police.

Take a course, get your pistol permit, buy the gun and practice with it.

Obamas making it very hard for us to protect ourselves. Get it now before you may not be able to.

The next thing that drives me crazy is the stupid rules the states have for carrying a weapon.

Easy in Alaska. Buy a gun and put it in your pocket. No CC permit required. I think the fact the bad guys just don't know who is carrying is a major deterrent.

• Replies 153
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

honestly yes. i want to get my NYS pistol permit and wouldnt mind having an ar-15 variant for home.

im not a gun nut by any means, but would like to be able to protect myself and family.

an AR 15 takes out the intruder, and your neighbors (assuming u have them). Better off with a shotgun

I myself applied for the federal ID which is required in NJ to get any gun, and applied for hand gun permits as well. I am getting them strictly for home defense, and hobby (shooting range and what not). There are many times when i'm not home and the wife and New baby duaghter are here by themselves. i would like for her to have a chance in a break in. I had a samurai sword for the last few years and realized that would really only work against and unarmed intruder which most aren't. It is somewhat american and patriotic feeling owning a firearm. Many atrocities and exterminations took place soon after govts banned firearm ownership from their citizens, one example is the jews.

I read somewhere soemthing like this

Don't buy a gun unless u plan on pointing it at someone, don't point it at someone unless you have the will to shoot them, don't shoot them unless you can live with the consequences.

an AR 15 takes out the intruder, and your neighbors (assuming u have them). Better off with a shotgun

I myself applied for the federal ID which is required in NJ to get any gun, and applied for hand gun permits as well. I am getting them strictly for home defense, and hobby (shooting range and what not). There are many times when i'm not home and the wife and New baby duaghter are here by themselves. i would like for her to have a chance in a break in. I had a samurai sword for the last few years and realized that would really only work against and unarmed intruder which most aren't. It is somewhat american and patriotic feeling owning a firearm. Many atrocities and exterminations took place soon after govts banned firearm ownership from their citizens, one example is the jews.

I read somewhere soemthing like this

Don't buy a gun unless u plan on pointing it at someone, don't point it at someone unless you have the will to shoot them, don't shoot them unless you can live with the consequences.

What is a federal ID?

I am fairly certain(though I can't back it up) that statistically there is more chance that a loved one or innocent gets hurt or killed by a gun used for home protection than there is for a home invader. There are numerous stories of the teenage child who sneaks in through the window after being out when they shouldn't.....and is shot by protective Dad. Countless stories of young child(teen) who decides to play with the exciting gun. And on the flip side.....many stories where things would most likely be relatively 'safe' which have escalated due to the presence of a firearm.....or where said firearm is kept nice and safe and isn't able to be accessed quickly enough when the occasion is called for.

I am fairly certain(though I can't back it up) that statistically there is more chance that a loved one or innocent gets hurt or killed by a gun used for home protection than there is for a home invader. There are numerous stories of the teenage child who sneaks in through the window after being out when they shouldn't.....and is shot by protective Dad. Countless stories of young child(teen) who decides to play with the exciting gun. And on the flip side.....many stories where things would most likely be relatively 'safe' which have escalated due to the presence of a firearm.....or where said firearm is kept nice and safe and isn't able to be accessed quickly enough when the occasion is called for.
The problem with that logic is that it doesn't account for the MILLIONS of occasions where the bad guy simply ran off when confronted by a gun,with no shots fired.

Brillant dissertation.

I would never spend more than a few sentences on any subject on "the Wall". It's not that I'm against it or have any feeling of superiority towards anybody that would, I just don't have the time to do so. It's because of my time constraints that my posts are always straight to the point and short. Therefore, you will never see me have a dissertation on any subject.

My feelings towards guns are quite simple, if no one had a gun, no one would get shot.

At the same time, I know that the streets will never be without guns and some people need them for protection purposes. My main gripe is with the laws, or the lack there of, pertaining to ammo sales. Why not have a background check on ammunition sales? Hell, make 'em take a psychological examination just to be able to buy a gun in the first place.

It makes sense to me, people that need ammo for hunting or protection purposes only don't really buy their ammo on a spur of the moment thing. These people have time to plan and prepare, in advance, of these wants and needs. Why not make them wait three days to buy ammo?

Criminals, on the other hand, do get their ammo on short notice. They buy bullets under several different circumstances such as hate, anger, frustration, jealousy, rage, desperation and so on and so forth. None of which is good. at the bare minimum, a ammo purchase law would reduce the rate of crimes of passion.

I don't need to do research on the matter, just need to have a little common sense.

BTW. Why do people feel like they gotta be like 2Pac anyways? How "gangsta, is your life really? People are definitely far too paranoid for no good reason.

The problem with that logic is that it doesn't account for the MILLIONS of occasions where the bad guy simply ran off when confronted by a gun,with no shots fired.

It makes sense to me that any truly aggressive home invader.....either with gun or without.......would usually(often?) illicit 'shots being fired' from the home owner if face to face confrontation occurred.

I would want to see statistics of numbers who ran off after actually seeing the home owners gun.....against those that were threatened with the warning of "I've got a gun." A large number of home invasions are simple burglaries by smack heads or youngsters who just want to grab some stuff to sell. Any confrontation usually sees them run off.....whether there is a gun or isn't.

Impossible to say but you'd want to account for the MILLIONS of occasions where the bad guy simply ran off when confronted period.

Most(all?) other modern countries have a lower rate of burglaries committed......and they aren't chasing away their burglars with guns. In order for the theory to be backed that 'having a gun will help reduce the number of successful burglaries', one would have to look at the "attempted burglaries" and compare that to the "successful burglaries" in many modern countries....and then compare it to the gun statistics. I'm just guessing here but I'd say that there would be no perceivable difference between those countries with very few guns.....and those with many guns.

Wow, you're in a "shoot everyone!" mood today, aren't you? :beer:

http://www.stadiumwall.com/index.php?s=&am...t&p=1376758

You say that like it's a bad thing. :worthy:

IIRC, Australia has some of the most restrictive gun laws in the free world. Is that true and how does it affect crime and punishment there?

I would never spend more than a few sentences on any subject on "the Wall". It's not that I'm against it or have any feeling of superiority towards anybody that would, I just don't have the time to do so. It's because of my time constraints that my posts are always straight to the point and short. Therefore, you will never see me have a dissertation on any subject.

My feelings towards guns are quite simple, if no one had a gun, no one would get shot.

At the same time, I know that the streets will never be without guns and some people need them for protection purposes. My main gripe is with the laws, or the lack there of, pertaining to ammo sales. Why not have a background check on ammunition sales? Hell, make 'em take a psychological examination just to be able to buy a gun in the first place.

It makes sense to me, people that need ammo for hunting or protection purposes only don't really buy their ammo on a spur of the moment thing. These people have time to plan and prepare, in advance, of these wants and needs. Why not make them wait three days to buy ammo?

Criminals, on the other hand, do get their ammo on short notice. They buy bullets under several different circumstances such as hate, anger, frustration, jealousy, rage, desperation and so on and so forth. None of which is good. at the bare minimum, a ammo purchase law would reduce the rate of crimes of passion.

I don't need to do research on the matter, just need to have a little common sense.

BTW. Why do people feel like they gotta be like 2Pac anyways? How "gangsta, is your life really? People are definitely far too paranoid for no good reason.

Chris Rock said we don't need gun control we need bullet control. Every bullet should cost $5,000. If you heard about a guy getting 10 bullets pumped into him you'd have to say; "He musta done something" :worthy:

I am confident however that anyone that breaks into my house at night will be a chalk outline in the morning.

Really? I don't know where you keep your guns,but I doubt that I could get to mine in time if I was surprised in the middle of the night by an armed intruder. I have kids so I keep mine in a locked steel cabinet in my closet. By the time I got to them I would hope my dogs would have scared them off. The bad guys would have to be pretty slow to give me enough time to get my gun. I really feel my dogs are a better deterrent and therefore make me feel safer than my guns.

My problem with your argument is, you don't need a gun to commit a violent crime. Stabbings and attacks with a deadly weapon are even more common than shootings. Guns and ammunition are everywhere already. You could put all sorts of restrictions on the purchase of ammunition and all you would do is create an underground market. I find it hard to believe that most crimes are comitted with a hunting rifle or shotgun purchased at K-mart. Seriously, these weapons and ammo are bought and sold on the street. It's also tough for me to imagine a raging animal going to the store and being denied their shotgun slugs and then the problem is magically gone. The real problem is the constant need to defer blame today. It's not the drunk who killed somebody with his car, it's the bartenders fault. It's not the individual who lost control and killed someone, it's the gun laws. Stop passing the buck! Work on fixing the true problem, people.

IIRC, Australia has some of the most restrictive gun laws in the free world. Is that true and how does it affect crime and punishment there?
Yes Australia does...And in Sydney and Adelaide right now there is a rash of drive by shootings...Mostly Bikers gangs..Illegal weapons....Only the criminals and the police have semi-auto's. I watch the news and all the residents are in fear...Why...Well number one the drive byes..Number two..They have no way to defend themselves. Not saying you can't own a gun here (I have 2)...but it is difficult to LEGALLY own one. Here's the steps: (I do have my firearms license here BTW)

1. Must have a 100% score on a safety test (I have no problem with this - It's a common sense test)

2. Must an Approved Firearms Safe (Again - No real problem with this - protects my investment)

3. 30 day wait for the license (Don't like this - If I pass the background check and 1 and 2, what's the hold up?)

4. 30 day wait on purchase permits (Nope- hate this..See #3)

5. No Semi-Auto Rifles (Pure Crap)

6. To own a Pistol..See 1 and 2 AND Must join a Pistol Club...3 Months Probation and Then MUST shoot competitively 11 times a year... (Pure Crap)

But there is no Constitutional protection in Australia...and you HAVE to vote here too..or face a $100 fine.

Not all "free" countries are free.

Oh and punishment here....A F*&%ing Joke. We had a guy in town run over a guy (he died) on a bicycle because he gave him the finger..he got 18 months. And I can go on and on about light sentences here...Would make you laugh.

Easy in Alaska. Buy a gun and put it in your pocket. No CC permit required. I think the fact the bad guys just don't know who is carrying is a major deterrent.

If it's such an effective deterrent then why does Alaska have one of the highest rates of violent crime?

Most home invasions actually ARE unarmed because criminals know the differences between the sentencing for one and other (HUGE).

I say keep the sword for protection. But be warned. When I break in, I am usually in steel armor and carry a shield. Good luck sensai.

I've been giving a lot more thought to this lately than ever before. I'm not a hunter and I don't really care for guns nor comprehend the 'lust' many have for them. I was a 2X expert rifleman in the Corp. -M-16- so I know what's involved with weapon care and use. Someone posted the 24 hr. media barrage as overplaying the real threat of horrific acts like the one in Binghamton, but I don't subscribe. I believe there is way more of this happening today than before and I'm excluding acts of Jihad terrorism. I don't want to own a firearm, but I want a punchers chance in the ever increasing possibility of a terrible confrontation.

Maybe it's time for Star Trek-type phasers, set on full stun..