Whitner as FS

Fingon

I'll put my football knowledge and background playing the game against yours any day of the week.

lol biscuit...so after challenging Dawgg are you going to actually divulge...

As far as the topic goes, I think Whitner will excel at FS and could make the Pro Bowl next season...just my 2 cents. I like what he brings to the table and I think the extra freedom will highlight his talents.

• Replies 133
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That's great that he showed up to play against the Bengals.

On Monday Night against the Cowboys, he stood around and watched as an onsides kick dribbled right by him. He got steamrolled by Sammy Morris in the game against New England. He got owned by Anthony Fasano in the game against Miami. Against Denver, he whiffed on an INT. Time after time, when the competition gets fierce, Whitner comes up small. Fans gush about his play against the Bengals, and they get a hard-on after he commits a penalty against the Raiders, tackling a guy in the end zone <_<. More power to them. I'm more interested in seeing how he plays against good competition. Thus far, the verdict isn't good.

Whitner is a phony. He talks a good game, but his play hardly follows suit.

Let's hope he becomes the NFL's best free safety... but something tells me he'll lead the team in media soundbytes, but not much else... the true ballers on this defense are Terrance McGee, Marcus Stroud, and Leodis McKelvin.

Give it a rest. He's not a stud, but he's better than you claim. I know you want him to continue to "fail" (so to speak) so that you get to be proven right over and over and over, but my view is that the 06 draft, Levy, etc. is all water under the bridge and over the dam at this point, and it's more appropriate to, y'know, hope he has a good season in 09. I realize you say "let's hope," but it doesn't seem especially sincere.

Give it a rest. He's not a stud, but he's better than you claim. I know you want him to continue to "fail" (so to speak) so that you get to be proven right over and over and over, but my view is that the 06 draft, Levy, etc. is all water under the bridge and over the dam at this point, and it's more appropriate to, y'know, hope he has a good season in 09. I realize you say "let's hope," but it doesn't seem especially sincere.

I enjoy your posts Dave, I really do... you always bring a healthy dose of perspective.

I hope that Whitner turns into a stud. If he does turn it around this year, I'll have to take some credit for it. <_< Perhaps my posts lit a fire under his ass... he's clearly reading them and bothered enough by them to update his Facebook status :thumbsup:

- Whitner has about the same stats as Bob Sanders after 3 years (plus is about 2 years younger at the same point of their careers), yet Whitner sucks because he gets injured less.

you keep comparing Whitners first 3 years to Sanders but have yet to acknowledge the fact that Sanders played in 19 less games then Whitner his first 3 years...do you realize thats more then a full season less yet you continue to compare their stats?

I enjoy your posts Dave, I really do... you always bring a healthy dose of perspective.

I hope that Whitner turns into a stud. If he does turn it around this year, I'll have to take some credit for it. <_< Perhaps my posts lit a fire under his ass... he's clearly reading them and bothered enough by them to update his Facebook status :thumbsup:

ya, he must be losing sleep over this.

you keep comparing Whitners first 3 years to Sanders but have yet to acknowledge the fact that Sanders played in 19 less games then Whitner his first 3 years...do you realize thats more then a full season less yet you continue to compare their stats?

Quick answer: No, he doesn't.

I hope that Whitner turns into a stud. If he does turn it around this year, I'll have to take some credit for it. :( Perhaps my posts lit a fire under his ass... he's clearly reading them and bothered enough by them to update his Facebook status :D

Very funny - seriously. Let's hope for the best. He has the physical talent (he's one of the faster safeties in the league), he plays hurt, and he plays hard. So the foundation is there. You just have to hope the plays will come.

I really don't understand what you are saying at all. Would you rather have a player who gets injured alot? Sanders and Whitner had similar stats in terms of INTs and sacks, and it is incredibly follish to assume that Sanders would get more of these if he played more. As for the tackles being close, that jsut speaks to the fact that the defense Whitner played on his first 3 years was better than the one Sanders played on his first 3 years. Tackles is a dumb stat to judge players on.

Look, I really find whining about a draft pick that occurred 3 years ago a waste of time and the Dawgg is a troll who only shows up to whine about the move every offseason. So, I'm done with it. But Sanders and Whither have similar stats, but Whither has proven more durable, is 2 years younger, and didn't get to play behind one of the best pass rushing teams in the league. If DW doesn't become a big playmaker this year, then I'd worry. But the defense has vastly improved, and despite what Dawgg thinks, Whitner is a big part of the improvement.

I really don't understand what you are saying at all. Would you rather have a player who gets injured alot? Sanders and Whitner had similar stats in terms of INTs and sacks, and it is incredibly follish to assume that Sanders would get more of these if he played more. As for the tackles being close, that jsut speaks to the fact that the defense Whitner played on his first 3 years was better than the one Sanders played on his first 3 years. Tackles is a dumb stat to judge players on.

Look, I really find whining about a draft pick that occurred 3 years ago a waste of time and the Dawgg is a troll who only shows up to whine about the move every offseason. So, I'm done with it. But Sanders and Whither have similar stats, but Whither has proven more durable, is 2 years younger, and didn't get to play behind one of the best pass rushing teams in the league. If DW doesn't become a big playmaker this year, then I'd worry. But the defense has vastly improved, and despite what Dawgg thinks, Whitner is a big part of the improvement.

If he hasn't become a big playmaker after 42 starts then he will never become a big playmaker. Sorry, but it stands to reason that even with a lousy pass rush that he'd have shined with his big playmaking ability in at least handful of games by now. I think that he'll always be a very average starter, which is why so many fans are just in their ragging on this former top ten pick. We've done it with all the other Bills' past draft busts so what makes Donte Whitner so freaking special that he gets a pass? F him and his stupid facebook page.

If he hasn't become a big playmaker after 42 starts then he will never become a big playmaker. Sorry, but it stands to reason that even with a lousy pass rush that he'd have shined with his big playmaking ability in at least handful of games by now. I think that he'll always be a very average starter, which is why so many fans are just in their ragging on this former top ten pick. We've done it with all the other Bills' past draft busts so what makes Donte Whitner so freaking special that he gets a pass? F him and his stupid facebook page.

If the DC chooses to often have 2 dbs ten or so yards away from the LOS, and the other two tending the back forty, I can't criticize them for not being "playmakers".

If the DC chooses to often have 2 dbs ten or so yards away from the LOS, and the other two tending the back forty, I can't criticize them for not being "playmakers".

What, he can't make an interception or a forced fumble down the field of play?

Sometimes I just wish Donald Trump would buy the Bills just so he could fire the entire coaching staff and about 43 of the players.

See, this is why fans are completely irrational. Bob Sanders (injured or not) had amount the same start to his career as Whitner. In his 4th season, he was defensive MVP. Yet, a player with similar stats that is 2 years younger at the same stage in their careers, can't improve as a player??? You realize how dumb that sounds right? Albert Haynesworth had 4.5 sacks in his first 3 seasons and played on defenses that ranked 30th, 29th, and 31st. He really turned out average. :(

The hate for Whitner makes posters completely irrational and just pathetic in their means to tear him down. Plus, don't forget to tear down Edwards, Lynch, Poz, Evans, etc. Go Bills!!! :D

What, he can't make an interception or a forced fumble down the field of play?

Sometimes I just wish Donald Trump would buy the Bills just so he could fire the entire coaching staff and about 43 of the players.

Nah. Offenses are hesitant to toss into a deep zone. The better option is to run the ball, sweep at the sidelines, toss a quick strike, and let a lightweight db make a tackle after being dragged for a few more yards. The clock ticks, the drive continues.

I'm not very fond of having safeties that play deep taking a lot of chances.

About as goofy as grown adults talking about a 24 yo football player drafted 3 years ago on a message board. Especially considering 99% of those people would never say anything to Whitner's face.

Lighten up, Francis.

Does anyone believe that is actually Whitner's Facebook page?

Actually it's not that foolish when you think about it. Sanders SHOULD get a LOT more opps for INTs, etc. because the Colts' defense USUALLY enjoys playing with BIG LEADS. I'd like to see how we do with more leads. Like our 3-4 under Corey when Kelly & Co. regularly put pressure on opposing Os to play major catchup.

These comparisons between defensive players on different teams is such a moot point. Apples/Oranges. All they have in common is that they're fruit. Period.

GO BILLS!!!

See, this is why fans are completely irrational. Bob Sanders (injured or not) had amount the same start to his career as Whitner. In his 4th season, he was defensive MVP. Yet, a player with similar stats that is 2 years younger at the same stage in their careers, can't improve as a player??? You realize how dumb that sounds right? Albert Haynesworth had 4.5 sacks in his first 3 seasons and played on defenses that ranked 30th, 29th, and 31st. He really turned out average. :D

The hate for Whitner makes posters completely irrational and just pathetic in their means to tear him down. Plus, don't forget to tear down Edwards, Lynch, Poz, Evans, etc. Go Bills!!! ;)

You say irrational fans, I say that were being realistic fans. You keep on hoping for a turnaround to his career though.

Hey I like Lynch and Evans, they've actually have shown that they belong in the NFL. :(

Sorry, but Edwards and Poz have so far shown me very little in terms of having exceptional ability at key positions which are needed to help this team become winners again. But you're right in that they're all young (even Whitner) and may still live up to their once very promising potential.

You say irrational fans, I say that were being realistic fans. You keep on hoping for a turnaround to his career though.

Hey I like Lynch and Evans, they've actually have shown that they belong in the NFL. :(

Sorry, but Edwards and Poz have so far shown me very little in terms of having exceptional ability at key positions which are needed to help this team become winners again. But you're right in that they're all young (even Whitner) and may still live up to their once very promising potential.

You still havn't answered my question.

The one common denominator between Palomalu, Sanders and Reed is that they all play for teams that produce tremendous pressure on opposing QB's. Don't you think that plays a part in their play making abilities?

Lighten up, Francis.

Does anyone believe that is actually Whitner's Facebook page?

are you calling Whitner a liar? He's stated that it was his actual Facebook page...even made comments about it in an interview several months ago

You still havn't answered my question.

The one common denominator between Palomalu, Sanders and Reed is that they all play for teams that produce tremendous pressure on opposing QB's. Don't you think that plays a part in their play making abilities?

Yes I did...

Post #90-

"Sorry, but it stands to reason that even with a lousy pass rush that he'd have shined with his big playmaking ability in at least handful of games by now."

In 42 games he's played in, we'd have seen more than a few flashes by now. You guys are starting to sound like us former Losman supporters did a couple years ago. Excuses, excuses, excuses. Losman had a horrible offensive line, so what. He'd have sucked with a good line too. Whitner may not suck as badly, but the guy was picked in the top ten of the draft and is well deserving of the beat down.