Peters Update

So it looks like Peters wants out of Buffalo, and there must be enough interest because Tim now says we can get first and third picks. He also mentions TE is a priority for the Bills.

Guess its not if, but when Peters will be traded.

W-S, NC: Tim, if the Bills should trade Peters, which team do you think would be most interested and what's fair compensation?

SportsNation Tim Graham: (3:37 PM ET ) Philly is mentioned most often because of their need and the fact they have the picks. A first-rounder and a third-rounder could get it done.

John(Buffalo): So basically you see the Buffalo Bills trading LT Jason Peters? Will we get a 1st rd pick for him atleast?

SportsNation Tim Graham: (3:40 PM ET ) I do see Peters bringing back a first-rounder. I wasn't convinced a few weeks ago, but the more people I speak with about it, the more that seems probable.

Robert (Latrobe, PA): So who will be stepping in for Peters after his probable trade?

SportsNation Tim Graham: (3:44 PM ET ) Excellent question. We're still trying to find out who'll be replacing Derrick Dockery. But this situation is evolving into a situation where the Bills have no choice. This isn't a decision that hinges on who the replacement will be.

char (NJ): if chad johnson was forced to stay in cincy...can't the bills use that as an example and force peters to stay?

SportsNation Tim Graham: (4:05 PM ET ) I have the strong impression Peters doesn't care about other examples. He's doing his thing.

http://proxy.espn.go.com/chat/chatESPN?event_id=25771

• Replies 156
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So it looks like Peters wants out of Buffalo, and there must be enough interest because Tim now says we can get first and third picks. He also mentions TE is a priority for the Bills.

Guess its not if, but when Peters will be traded.

W-S, NC: Tim, if the Bills should trade Peters, which team do you think would be most interested and what's fair compensation?

SportsNation Tim Graham: (3:37 PM ET ) Philly is mentioned most often because of their need and the fact they have the picks. A first-rounder and a third-rounder could get it done.

John(Buffalo): So basically you see the Buffalo Bills trading LT Jason Peters? Will we get a 1st rd pick for him atleast?

SportsNation Tim Graham: (3:40 PM ET ) I do see Peters bringing back a first-rounder. I wasn't convinced a few weeks ago, but the more people I speak with about it, the more that seems probable.

Robert (Latrobe, PA): So who will be stepping in for Peters after his probable trade?

SportsNation Tim Graham: (3:44 PM ET ) Excellent question. We're still trying to find out who'll be replacing Derrick Dockery. But this situation is evolving into a situation where the Bills have no choice. This isn't a decision that hinges on who the replacement will be.

char (NJ): if chad johnson was forced to stay in cincy...can't the bills use that as an example and force peters to stay?

SportsNation Tim Graham: (4:05 PM ET ) I have the strong impression Peters doesn't care about other examples. He's doing his thing.

C'mon Buffalo give him what he wants. Pro Bowl LT's don't grow on trees. Somebody reported that Spencer Johnson (?) :thumbdown: said Bell is very good but even if that's true Bells untested in actual games.

C'mon Buffalo give him what he wants. Pro Bowl LT's don't grow on trees. Somebody reported that Spencer Johnson (?) :thumbdown: said Bell is very good but even if that's true Bells untested in actual games.

Who cares about Pro Bowls

Peters is overrated and will be overpaid if we let him stay

TAKE THE PICKS BUFFALO!!!!!!!!!!!!

Take the picks-

If we trade down with number 11 to say the Jets at 17 that would likely give us an additional pick in the third if we drop lower maybe a 2nd.

Mini Mock Draft if we drop to 17

1A) LB Brian Cushing or Maulaluga-Maybe TE Pettigrew

1B) OT Eben Britton

2) C-Alex Mack Eric Wood or DE Connor Barwin

3A) OG or OT JTLang, Craig Urbik, Greg Isnader

3B) S-Patrick Chung

The Pace signing with Chicago was the best thing that could have happened for Buffalo. Pace stated he did recieve an offer from Philly. Philly seems like they would be the most obivious choice. Bills get best LT on board at 11. Use the extra third in a trade with Denver for Schefler. Go defensive front seven with second first rounder and second round pick. Then get another interior lineman in the third. Ah one can dream.

He doesn't want to be here translates into holding out till halfway in the season and then playing like crap again. Take the picks.

I sincerely believe that even if Overdorf were to pony out the cash --- meeting the demands or more --- Peters would still dog it like he did quite often last year.

Bill in NYC might go nuts, and I would ordinarily agree with him that you keep your young players and you especially keep your good young OL... but this situation isn't healthy. Peters doesn't have the desire to play here, for these people, anymore. If he got $12M/per his attitude toward this organization isn't going to change. Which sucks b/c if he had played this cooler from the start and didn't sulk last year, it could've been different.

I would try to hold for a 1st and a 2nd in a trade. Move Walker over and/or see what Chambers has (looked impressive in the time he had). Draft a C in late 1/early 2 (Mack) and a T on day 1 and another for OL depth on day 2.

Has anyone considered the fact that maybe he is asking for so much money even after the poor year to force his way out of Buffalo? He clearly doesnt seem to want to be here, and it sure seems to me he is doing what he can to get out. Now there are flat out reports he doesnt want to be here...

I would rather trade him while we have leverage to get a first and a third than see him hold out and we get nothing out of him...

I wouldnt be surprised to see him sign with a new team once traded for less than he is demanding here...seriously...I really think this is how he is trying to force his way out. I had that feeling last year too...think about it...

1. 1 year into his new deal he demands to be highest paid.

2. Cuts off all communication with FO and goes about it worst way possible.

3. Shows up in horrible shape showing he didnt care about whether he could live up to the contract (if he would have got it) or about how his poor condition would affect his team once he either signed the big deal or reported.

It looks more and more like he tried to get out last year and now is making unreasonable demands to get out this year...

C-YA and dont let the door hit ya in the ass on the way out...the last thing we need is players under contract who dont want to be here (see Willis McGahee)...

The scary thing is that the Eagle offensive line, McNabb and Westbrook might make him look good much like Warner and the Cards made Jonas look good at times even though hes not that good...

If true, this is one of the stupidest football positions for any GM to take.

All trades need to hinge on who you replace the player with. To not factor this into the equation is simply throwing your fate to the winds.

Particularly given the investment we have in Edwards and the guarantee of only having TO for a year it would simply be stupid not to have not only a good plan A for replacing your starting LT but actually a reasonable plan B (injuries imply happen with great frequency in the NFL).

Right now, our plan B if Peters goes down is to flip Walker to LT and move Chambers to RT. This is actually a pretty good plan B as both players have been adequate in these roles before. However, Chambers is developing but not quite good enough to start yet, and Walker has done well but is a question mark if we were to rely on him on his lonesome for an extended period at LT.

We have a reasonable plan B (though we likely are in trouble with it if we have to use it for more than 3 games or so) but no plan A.

A GM or a Bills fan would be a fool if they were railroaded by Parker and Peters into giving them what they want (a new contract for Peters would likely come with any trade) and they have no clue what the replacement plan is.

The bad news is that if the plan is to simply replace Peters with a rookie (at #11 where a Clady did work out last year but neither a #4 Williams or a #7 McKinnie proved to be worthwhile LTs their first year so any first round pick is a crapshoot at best) this really is no answer at LT.

In this case, Peters ain't perfect (and in fact is far from it) but the devil you know is a pretty good case versus the devil you don't know. In this case Graham is saying that the trade decision does not hinge upon whether you even are gonna have a devil to pray for his redemption.

The scary thing is that the Eagle offensive line, McNabb and Westbrook might make him look good much like Warner and the Cards made Jonas look good at times even though hes not that good...

Gandy.

(Who, by the by, got owned in the Super Bowl).

Let's look at the text again

SportsNation Tim Graham: (3:44 PM ET ) Excellent question. We're still trying to find out who'll be replacing Derrick Dockery. But this situation is evolving into a situation where the Bills have no choice. This isn't a decision that hinges on who the replacement will be. char (NJ): if chad johnson was forced to stay in cincy...can't the bills use that as an example and force peters to stay?

I don't see anything new from reading this text than from what we all ready knew or were speculating about, or is there?

It seems to me that this is just added speculation. Not to say that it won't happen, but nothing new here

I don't see anything new from reading this text than from what we all ready knew or were speculating about, or is there?

It seems to me that this is just added speculation. Not to say that it won't happen, but nothing new here

No you are right its what we have all been speculating. However Tim Graham talks to diferent people inside of different teams. He would have a much more valued opinion then the rest of us about what i sgoing on. Not saying he knows everything. But odds are he has real sources inside different originations

SportsNation Tim Graham: (3:44 PM ET ) Excellent question. We're still trying to find out who'll be replacing Derrick Dockery. But this situation is evolving into a situation where the Bills have no choice. This isn't a decision that hinges on who the replacement will be. char (NJ): if chad johnson was forced to stay in cincy...can't the bills use that as an example and force peters to stay?

exactly... Nothing new here at all. I still think the Bills will have an opportunity to sign Peters for that matter.

What's new is the background impression that the FO has totally given up on the idea of dealing rationally with Peters. That comes in loud and clear, assuming Tim has a little insider info.

Gandy.

(Who, by the by, got owned in the Super Bowl).

My bad...and yes, him getting owned in the SB was my point exactly...Warners quick release and field smarts made the O Line look better (especially Gandy) than they were...

Eagles have a solid O Line and McNabb and Westbrook may look Peters look good even when hes struggling was my point.