RUMOR: Big curveball coming in with our first pick

SKOOBY

The FO is obviously comfortable with Trent, that's why they brought in Fitzpatrick - not Garcia or Leftwich - to back him up. With all the holes that need filling, if you needed a QB it could have been done during free agency. They won't draft a QB at all, much less in the first round. End of discussion.

I get what you are saying, and like you said, I too think the FO is comfortable with Trent...that being said, comfortable with him is not the same thing as being sold on him being able to become a top QB in this league.

My persoanl opinnion is that they didnt bring in Garcia or Leftwhich because they don't see them as much of an upgrade, yet both were going to want a chance to start. I actually think they feel Fitzpatrick has more upside.

There were not any good options in FA to "upgrade" over Trent. No one that was available was seen as an immediate upgrade and none had the upside Trent has, so it makes sense we didnt make any real moves.

Again, I agree with you that I dont think they take a QB #11, but it wouldnt surprise me. I think its much more likely we explore the Cutler situation than it is that we go QB in round 1 and thats because Cutler can come in now and make an impact, where a rookie likely doesnt. Then again, the success of Ryan and Flacco (although Flacco's success was tied to the team, not really him) may tempt them, so who knows.

If I was to make a prediction, it would be that Trent is our starter in 2009, and the Cutler situation benefits us in a trade down scenario because of how it shakes up the draft...but, I still won't be surprised if we draft one or go after Cutler...

• Replies 159
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Word came in from BMW driving friends that our first pick is probably going to be a QB, if the one we want is available. We have no real backup and can groom a good one for when we're ready to win. T.O. was a marketing stunt to sell the seats that we're cancelled and the teams management is under no delusion of defeating many on our schedule or division this year. The AFC east is going to be the toughest place to play this year and after finishing last last year, that's where we'll stay.

I expect to get crucified for bringing this to the table but then again I am the anti-Christ.

Scoob ... why do this to yourself?!? You should know better ...

Scoob ... why do this to yourself?!? You should know better ...

Well, it needed to be said. I cannot say exactly that way but the BMW friends comment saved us a dozen or so cracks at that and if it's all out on the table, nothing can be misconstrued. If we do draft a QB with our first pick, one of the other posters on here will claim that they posted this months ago and the sheer genius of it all. I'd rather the Bills get a group of 1st rounders ( us dumping Peters to Philly) and reshape the team with some talent for the field, right now we have more bandages than a 1st degree fire victim.

You guys cannot be happy with the crap we have fielded for the past 9 years, it's just not possible.

I like Edwards but in all honesty, did he really earn a NFL starting job?? What has he done to further the team after his head bang at AZ?? We completely collapsed last season and placed the blame all on DJ, Trent gets away scott free?? Trent needs gloves, has shown 0 cold weather ability and using JP as a comparison for competition is just silly. Over the last 9 years, We have fielded the worst QB's in the league. We have been a statistical nightmare offensively for the past 4 years. 26th or worse in the league offensively keeps you drafting near the top 10.

I personally want better and think a little QB competition might be the best way, if the right player is available. However we can improve the team, I'm all for it.

Hahahaha. I love these posters! This message board is literally filled of people who just look through sh-- to strike down and then they offered the same type of subjective, uninformed opinion that they rant against. Please do tell me, how does your opinion have anymore validity than mine. Because you have posted 2,000 times? I mean jesus, its embarassing. People here want to do 1 of 2 things:

1) Strike down invalid opinions with more invalid opinions

2) Talk about how trading Jason Peters (who everyone agrees is terrible) will net us a bunch of high draft picks (because clearly no other teams know he is terrible, only our fans do. Why? I've heard reasons all the way from, our fans watch the tape to journalists don't ever know what they are talking about).

This is a message board. Why doesn't this board have intelligent discussions, that might possibly venture "outside the box" like other legitimate fan messages boards do? Rather, anytime a conversation is brought up that might be interesting to talk about (drafting a QB?!?!?!) it is immediately struck down as ridiculous. Rather lets have a mock draft where the Bills trades Jason Peters for the 4 first round draft picks and then spin two of those draft picks for Cutler

Did I say they would draft a QB? NO! Why did I say they wouldn't draft a QB? BECAUSE WE DON'T HAVE THE ABILITY TO TAKE THAT CALCULATED RISK. Did I say Trent is not worthy of starting? NO. I am a Trent fan, but he hasn't shown he is our franchise QB. He is far from a sure thing and the Bills don't have a reason to think he is their long term QB yet.

Some are comparing Sanchez to Matt Ryan. If that is so it would make sense ON PAPER for a team with a QB like Edwards to ponder taking a chance on the kid. But the FO strategy just does not allow for that to happen.

Now gambling on Sanchez in the first round "makes good sense"? Is anyone convinced Sanchez is a good bet to be an excellent NFL QB? If so, when...this year?

:thumbsup:

This thread gets dumber all the time.

Nobody has said we SHOULD draft a qb in the first round. The thread was started based on a rumor. It has taken flight off of that rumor, because the thought is intriguing. Personally, I think Sanchez has as much of a chance of being an excellent QB as Edwards does. We haven't seen Edwards play as an excellent QB yet. I'm not saying go grab Sanchez either. Most posters believe Edwards needs to step his game up this year in order to keep his job. Maybe the FO would like to have a fall back plan if he doesn't.

Nobody has said we SHOULD draft a qb in the first round. The thread was started based on a rumor. It has taken flight off of that rumor, because the thought is intriguing. Personally, I think Sanchez has as much of a chance of being an excellent QB as Edwards does. We haven't seen Edwards play as an excellent QB yet. I'm not saying go grab Sanchez either. Most posters believe Edwards needs to step his game up this year in order to keep his job. Maybe the FO would like to have a fall back plan if he doesn't.

It's pretty easy to fall back to the sideline if you have some real talent there.

if it's all out on the table, nothing can be misconstrued. If we do draft a QB with our first pick, one of the other posters on here will claim that they posted this months ago and the sheer genius of it all.

If that's the case, let me be the first to report:

-- The Bills will draft an offensive lineman with their first pick, because they need one.

-- The Bills will draft a defensive lineman with their first pick, likely a pass-rusher or a run-stopping presence, because they need one.

-- The Bills will draft a defensive back, possibly cornerback or safety, because they need one.

-- The Bills will draft a linebacker, possibly outside or middle, because they need one.

-- It's not yet been ruled out that the Bills will draft a running back or receiver, possibly tight end.

-- Kicker, punter and long-snapper are also not out of the question with first-round pick. Though unlikely, this can't be ruled out.

-- I'm also not ruling out a trade, possibly up or down, depending on what deals are offered.

-- I'm also suggesting that Bills, upon making their first pick, whomever that might be and at whatever position as noted above, will be immediately pleased with their selection.

I've got it first on all the other positions, so there can now be no mistake.

I drive an Acura RSX, by the way.

jw

Edit: Sorry, couldn't resist. I find this thread amusing.

-- The Bills will draft an offensive lineman with their first pick, because they need one.

-- The Bills will draft a defensive lineman with their first pick, likely a pass-rusher or a run-stopping presence, because they need one.

-- The Bills will draft a defensive back, possibly cornerback or safety, because they need one.

-- The Bills will draft a linebacker, possibly outside or middle, because they need one.

-- It's not yet been ruled out that the Bills will draft a running back or receiver, possibly tight end.

-- Kicker, punter and long-snapper are also not out of the question with first-round pick. Though unlikely, this can't be ruled out.

-- I'm also not ruling out a trade, possibly up or down, depending on what deals are offered.

-- I'm also suggesting that Bills, upon making their first pick, whomever that might be and at whatever position as noted above, will be immediately pleased with their selection.

jw

:thumbsup:

Someone took kicker a few pages ago but the rest is yours, LOL.

jw

if you are going to gamble with a first round pick on a qb, might as well throw in next years first round pick and get cutler. atleast you know what you would be getting.

Cutler has some growing up to do, he is also a diabetic (which may or may not effect his long term potential)

thanks you for the great news SKOOBY this team needs a new quaterback and i heard sanchez might be a hall of famer, keep the ifno coming

:lol:

Outstanding!

Hey, one good post, at least.

Guest dog14787
Nobody has said we SHOULD draft a qb in the first round. The thread was started by SKOOBY It has taken flight off of that rumor, because the thought is intriguing. Personally, I think Sanchez has as much of a chance of being an excellent QB as Edwards does. We haven't seen Edwards play as an excellent QB yet. I'm not saying go grab Sanchez either. Most posters believe Edwards needs to step his game up this year in order to keep his job. Maybe the FO would like to have a fall back plan if he doesn't.

I hope so because we really do need a more experienced coaching staff :lol:

jw

Welcome to SKOOBY's world. I'll let you decide whether or not it bears any resemblance to the one the rest of us inhabit.

Word came in from BMW driving friends that our first pick is probably going to be a QB, if the one we want is available. We have no real backup and can groom a good one for when we're ready to win. T.O. was a marketing stunt to sell the seats that we're cancelled and the teams management is under no delusion of defeating many on our schedule or division this year. The AFC east is going to be the toughest place to play this year and after finishing last last year, that's where we'll stay.

I expect to get crucified for bringing this to the table but then again I am the anti-Christ.

Skoob.....lay of the BMW crap, no one cares and it makes you sound.....well....you get the message.