If you were building a team, what defensive position

Of course this would be based on what kind of defensive scheme that you employed. If it was a 4-3 defense then I would start with a MLB and if it was a 3-4 defense that I would start with a NT. Like in baseball I believe that your strength would have to start up the middle of your defense. Who would you start with and why?

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

DT's and DB's for me. Dominant DT's can stop the running game and collapse pockets. Great DB's can allow your defense to blitz more often and can also allow your safety's to play up in the box and help stuff the run.

Of course this would be based on what kind of defensive scheme that you employed. If it was a 4-3 defense then I would start with a MLB and if it was a 3-4 defense that I would start with a NT. Like in baseball I believe that your strength would have to start up the middle of your defense. Who would you start with and why?

Respectfully disagree about MLB. LBs are the RBs of the defense. Their playmaking ability depends on the players in front of them. Look at Ray Lewis this year. He was fading big time but they upgrade the front of him. Urlacher had a down year this year and that was mainly because their d-line wasn't as good.

Obviously, there is no one way to build a team but I always liked the idea of building from the inside out on defense up front. Then on offense, I would do it the opposite - outside in. IMO depending on the Peters' situation, the Bills have to good cornerstone in JP and Stroud. I would love to get another DT next to Stroud and make Williams a good backup. It would be amazing if Raji dropped. Or if a tradedown happens, I'd would love to get Jerry of Ole Miss.

DT's and DB's for me. Dominant DT's can stop the running game and collapse pockets. Great DB's can allow your defense to blitz more often and can also allow your safety's to play up in the box and help stuff the run.

The Broncos tried to win with corners and failed miserably. IMO, especially considering the money they get paid, corners are very overrated. Has Clements improved the 49ers defense at all? How are the Steelers corners? Pressure busts pipes and makes corners better players.

The Broncos tried to win with corners and failed miserably. IMO, especially considering the money they get paid, corners are very overrated. Has Clements improved the 49ers defense at all? How are the Steelers corners? Pressure busts pipes and makes corners better players.

One might suggest the Bears have attempted to do it with defensive linemen and backers, and have failed with that approach.

There is no right answer, without knowing what the talent available, for your first move. All things are never equal, and neither are players. While I would love a DT or a LT, I would take a great CB over a questionable DT every day of the week.

One might suggest the Bears have attempted to do it with defensive linemen and backers, and have failed with that approach.

There is no right answer, without knowing what the talent available, for your first move. All things are never equal, and neither are players. While I would love a DT or a LT, I would take a great CB over a questionable DT every day of the week.

This is how I think of the question: On a scale of 1-10, the first player you pick is a 10, every other player is a 6.5. Which position to you pick for the 10. Doesn't have to be a realistic scenario to answer the question.

Like most others, I go DT. A great DT can loosen up the whole field.

This is how I think of the question: On a scale of 1-10, the first player you pick is a 10, every other player is a 6.5. Which position to you pick for the 10. Doesn't have to be a realistic scenario to answer the question.

Like most others, I go DT. A great DT can loosen up the whole field.

Even if LT, at his prime, is available at LB?

I'd say DT's in both defensive schemes. Without stout guys who can plug the middle your defense will be eaten alive. DT's are the most important position, IMO, for getting pressure on the QB also. Good DT's keep an OL honest and from being able to cheat towards the DE's and rush OLB's. They also are the main vein to stuffing the opposiong team's rushing attack. If you can stuff the middle, the outside is alot easier to cover and keep contained.

So far the consensus is favoring DTs. Why in the world has Buffalo, outside of Stroud, has made concessions at this position?

I think they are trying to fix the situation. They signed Tripplet, who busted. They drafted McCargo in the 1st round and he definitely showed flashes in 2007 but they completely regressed in 2008 (though I thought he played decent against the Jags). They also drafted Williams, who has been a great value pick but not a starter on a serious playoff team. I think the Stroud trade illustrates that the FO recognizes this as a big need. That's why I pray fro Raji and won't might a trade to get Jerry from Ole Miss.

Defensive Ends. Great defenses live and die by the pass rush, and the ability to control off tackle, and outside running lanes. Argubaly defensive tackles are very valuable as well, but I'll take the Justin Tucks, Jared Allens, AaRon Kampmans, and Mario Williams of the world over the Pat Williams, Haynesworth, Wilfork, Harris etc etc. In that same token I build my defense strictly from the line back.

I assume the question posed implies you're trying to make the most dominant defense possible and what position is most critical for doing so.

If you're talking man among boys dominant, I'd say DT. If you can't block a DT/NT, you're not gonna be able to pass or run much as an offense.

If the scenario is more realistic, I think DE or maybe LB. They're in position to make plays in both the run & pass games.

Being a great defense is all about making plays.