Anyone concerned about EDWARDS this season

I assume you guys are referring to the long pass to Freddie Jackson against denver. Two things:

1. It didn't go for a TD. That pass play went for about 65 yards and Jackson was pushed OB at the 7 yard line. He scored on a run on the next play.

2. That pass to Freddie was one of the best passes i've seen trent make. He dropped it in perfectly about 25 yards downfield right over the defender and hit Jackson in stride. There's a lot of passes you knock Edwards on, but that pass wasn't one of them.

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Let me put out a post with a different perspective. Trent Barely threw 350 time last season and he didnt even play a full season. He has problems with his throwing shoulder that was thought to need surgery but later it was called shoulder fatigue. Now if he has only played 13 1/2 games last season and throwing barely 350 times, How do you think his shoulder is going to hold up under a full season (doubtful he makes it through a full season) with the potential of throwing the ball even more now that he has TO in the mix.

I dont know about you, BUT I AM VERY CONCERNED i do not want FITZY in there at all!!!!

one slam to the ground on his head and the Bills are 1-15(if it happens early in the season)..and his career may be over.

Brian, you do know how much I respect your opinion. That said, are you reading this stuff? Trent's pass to Jackson wasn't good because it only traveled 5 yards in the air. I mean, wtf? Have we or have we not seen balls like that wind up in the stands or on the ground? THE PLAY FREAKING WORKED!!! The Bills scored a touchdown and won the game!!! Is it better to put up numbers and lose?

I mean really, who the f :thumbdown: k cares about Cutler's stats for that particular game?

If guys want to blast Trent for the Cleveland game, they should. However in Denver, he led the Bills to a win against Shanahan, on the road, in the freezing cold. And, the Broncos needed the game to make the playoffs. Never mind.....his passes should have traveled a longer distance, and Cutler had better "numbers". :lol:

The truth is that posts like this are below your standards as well, or so I think.

Bill, you're wasting your time talking sense to some of these "fans". I'm through 4 pages, and it's mostly absurd crap about how Edwards sucks. Let's get this straight: Edwards does NOT suck. He was in his second year last year! He has a winning record, on a very bad team! The pass to Freddy that won the Denver game, on the road and in 17 degree weather, was NOT a 5 yard pass. It was about about 25 yards, on a circle route, that Edwards had to stand in pocket to deliver as the defender was coming right up the middle to cream him. Edwards is a humble, very bright, team-first kid who has tremendous upside potential, IMO. But these friggin' yahoos want to crucify him b/c he can't throw TD's in 50 MPH winds at the Ralph. Morons.

Oh, and another one for you "he can't play in bad weather" folks: End of the season, 2 years ago, at Wash: raining, cold, we're down by 2 w/ aprox one min to go when we get the ball at about our 25. After a few quick outs to Roscoe, Edwards launches a perfect pass to Reed, about 25 yards in the air, to set us up for Lindells winning kick. The throw was dropped in perfectly b/t 4 defenders, and it could not have been a better throw. Trent was a rookie. But, but, but...he can't play in weather! He can't throw down the field! He's a glove wearing Mary! Wah, Wah! Wah!!!!

But Hon. Senator, it WAS good if it went for a touchdown. Isn't that what matters?

Trent might turrn out to be a bad quarterback. Anything is possible, but to criticize his TD passes because they didn't travel far enough in the air, and the team won the game is over the edge. Will ya give me that? :thumbdown:

Bill, the very few people saying "Trent sucks", should be chastised. I have no issue with that. I just don't think I see a reference to JP Losman in those posts (for the most part) and I'm certain it wasn't mentioned in the post you relied to.

But there is some middle ground, that I think is reasonable all the way from "fairly sold", "optimistic", "wait and see", to "pessimistic/disappointed". And, while I'm not a big fan of Cutler, and I have argued against any suggestion the Bills should get him, I don't think Trent beat Cutler and the Broncos...the Bills did. Trent was the QB, led the drive to win the game, and he should be credited for getting the job done. He played well in cold weather, and that's a big deal, too, as there has been some concern about that. But, the idea that he was exceptional in that game, or showed something awesome in that weather is indefensible, IMIO, when you look at the stats Cutler put up. Even if Jay made some bad decisions, and ended up missing a wide open WR in the end zone. near the end of the game, he showed just what was possible to do, in that weather.

I'm sure I make my share of bad posts...hell, some of them I don't even like. And I welcome your calling me out on them. But, I don't think the last one was one of them.

Oh, and another one for you "he can't play in bad weather" folks: End of the season, 2 years ago, at Wash: raining, cold, we're down by 2 w/ aprox one min to go when we get the ball at about our 25. After a few quick outs to Roscoe, Edwards launches a perfect pass to Reed, about 25 yards in the air, to set us up for Lindells winning kick. The throw was dropped in perfectly b/t 4 defenders, and it could not have been a better throw. Trent was a rookie. But, but, but...he can't play in weather! He can't throw down the field! He's a glove wearing Mary! Wah, Wah! Wah!!!!

These are his stats from this past year when the weather in is under 40. Doesn't look great to me.

BY WEATHER CMP ATT YDS CMP% YPA TD INT RAT

Temp. <40 F 57 97 581 58.8 5.99 2 3 70.0

First, before I resond, lets be clear, I am not saying he can or cant play in cold weather...

Now, you claiming he is a great cold weather QB based on one throw or game is ridiculous...he has actually had more bad games than good games in cold weather by the way...then again, that doesnt mean much either considering he has had more bad games than good games overall (and thats just a statistical fact no matter where you stand on how Trent is as a QB).

Everyone has differing opinnions on Trent, however, there is one thing that is certain and that is that there is nothing certain about Trent yet. Anyone making outright conclusions about him (good or bad) over one specific game or throw is crazy.

For example, this is how crazy your statement is...How would you respond if someone made the claim that Trent can NOT play in good weather because he went for a QB rating of 67, 0 TD's and 2 Turnovers at Miami? Wouldnt you agree that would be ridiculous to say...

Its no secret that I have not been satisfied with his on field play thus far, but I would never dare say he cant be a good quarterback in the future because he is still developing. Trent lovers seem to delusionally think he has done better than he has. Has he had some good moments...absolutely...but ignoring the bad as if he was consistently good is as crazy as saying he sucks.

FYI: There is a big difference of being critical of his on field performance thus far, and claiming he sucks. There are some boldly saying he just sucks, and they should be chastised...but then there are those who say he is great (even saw a post claiming he was better than Brees because his record is better...LMAO) when he clearly has not been, and they deseverd to be just as chastised.

Final Verdict: Jury is still out on him, he lots or areas he needs to improve on, but has the potential to do it.

First, before I resond, lets be clear, I am not saying he can or cant play in cold weather...

Now, you claiming he is a great cold weather QB based on one throw or game is ridiculous...he has actually had more bad games than good games in cold weather by the way...then again, that doesnt mean much either considering he has had more bad games than good games overall (and thats just a statistical fact no matter where you stand on how Trent is as a QB).

Everyone has differing opinnions on Trent, however, there is one thing that is certain and that is that there is nothing certain about Trent yet. Anyone making outright conclusions about him (good or bad) over one specific game or throw is crazy.

For example, this is how crazy your statement is...How would you respond if someone made the claim that Trent can NOT play in good weather because he went for a QB rating of 67, 0 TD's and 2 Turnovers at Miami? Wouldnt you agree that would be ridiculous to say...

Its no secret that I have not been satisfied with his on field play thus far, but I would never dare say he cant be a good quarterback in the future because he is still developing. Trent lovers seem to delusionally think he has done better than he has. Has he had some good moments...absolutely...but ignoring the bad as if he was consistently good is as crazy as saying he sucks.

FYI: There is a big difference of being critical of his on field performance thus far, and claiming he sucks. There are some boldly saying he just sucks, and they should be chastised...but then there are those who say he is great (even saw a post claiming he was better than Brees because his record is better...LMAO) when he clearly has not been, and they deseverd to be just as chastised.

Final Verdict: Jury is still out on him, he lots or areas he needs to improve on, but has the potential to do it.

Never said he was a "great" cold weather qb, making the rest of your post moot.

These are his stats from this past year when the weather in is under 40. Doesn't look great to me.

BY WEATHER CMP ATT YDS CMP% YPA TD INT RAT

Temp. <40 F 57 97 581 58.8 5.99 2 3 70.0

HEY NO ROOM FOR STATS HERE!

People remember passes he completed, making him invincible during bad weather.

haha what a joke...you cant be serious about this post..haha

Anyone concerned about the hate for our starting QB?

I guess we have to embrace it sometimes...check out this JP rant by someone on their blog! Warning, lots of cursing and tastelessness...but still kind of funny...written in the afterglow of the "fumble" against the Jets:

http://goosesroost.blogspot.com/2008/12/fu...-jp-losman.html

Anyone here want to fess up?

I'm a little worried about Trent. Just from watching him over the last 2 years, I wonder if he's got the attention span/drive/endurance to be a starting QB for an NFL team for a full season. I say this because in the first year he looked great in preseason. His first drive against the Patsies was textbook. He did good enough in the next few games to beat out the incumbent starter. Then after a handful of games he performance was not so good. Same thing happened last year. First 4 games and San Diego game were very good. Then he had major problems the rest of the way out. I've seen him do the same thing in games. Take the New York Giants game of '07 as an example of this. Started out like 8 of 9 with 2 TDs. The weather then got bad and he threw like 2 picks and only 2 completions the rest of the way. There have been other games like this too. I'm thinking maybe it's not cold weather that he's not good at, rather that cold weather games co incidentally are late in the year when his tank is pretty much empty physical and emotional wise.

On the other hand he is young and has shown flashes of brilliance. The Seattle and Jacksonville and San Diego and Denver games come to mind. Now if he can only do that on a consistent basis ...

WARNING: This post contains much speculation and opinion not based on fact.

Go BILLS !!

Of course some people (including myself) are concerned about Edwards. It's only natural, and is--in my opinion--perfectly justifiable.

To be fair to those that feel this way, I like to outline his quality showings from last season. I chose to define "quality showings" as games in which Edwards had a completion percentage at or above 60, a QB rating at or above 80, and at least as many TD passes as INTs, because I felt these were not only fair criteria on which to judge QB play, but also good indicators of when the team had success. Trent's "quality showings" (as defined herein, with which I assume most folks on this board would agree) last season all came against pretty bad defenses. The only conceivable exception could be San Diego, which was--incidentally--the game that got Ted Cottrell fired from his post as defensive coordinator and replaced by Ron Riviera.

Trent's total number of "quality games" from last season was 7. Those games came against:

Seattle (ranked 30th in the NFL in total defense; 32nd in pass defense)

Jacksonville (17th; 24th)

Oakland (27th; 10th)

St. Louis (28th; 19th)

San Diego (25th; 31st)

Kansas City (31st; 28th)

Denver (29th; 26th)

So yes, Trent's capability does worry me, signficantly. That said, he has just as good a shot to become a good QB as anybody else Buffalo has had in the past 5 years.