Sully Chat

BillsNYC

That wasn't more than his market value. It was his market value. He simply got a raise. He was paid like a free agent undrafted tight end prospect and they brought his compensation in line with a starting right tackle. How is that above his market value?

Bringing stability to the LT position that has been the achilles heal of the franchise for years?

Going to 2 straight Pro Bowls?

His play hasn't been perfect, but he's been an O-Lineman for a whole 3 years. He has a high ceiling and he's more athletic than most NFL tackles.

He had no choice but to hold out. I find it funny that the Bills took care of Schobel even though he had 3 years left on his deal. Why did they do that? Because they re-signed Kelsay and the front office realized that they can't have Kelsay making more than Schobel.

In the exact parallel situation, the Bills spent big money on inferior players like Dockery and Walker and didn't take care of Jason Peters when he, just like Schobel, had 3 years left on his deal. Why wouldn't he hold out? It's the only leverage he has. If the Bills were smart, they would have drafted Ryan Clady last year and painted Jason Peters in a corner. Instead, they made their bed. This is not the year to be f-ing with the LT position. He deserves to make the same money that Jordan Gross is making. End of story. This is the Bills' fault that they're in this position and it's time to pay up.

so....the bills clearly should have signed him with three years left on a new contract, and he clearly had no choice but to hold out? if he had no choice but to hold out, why come back at the beginning of the season? make all the arguments you want about the shelf life of a player and the team's ability to cut a guy, but how do you see it as he had no choice but to sit? and if he had no choice, why "risk" and injury and come back for the season? sit the season, you're the aggrieved party. he blinked, they didn't. he underperformed at the beginning of the season, he wasn't worth the money they had already agreed to early on. how about the team aprpoach then? did he help 'em win?

this whole argument that they have to do the right thing, and comparing it with other players on the team never made sense to me. if they give him $12mill, and the next draft choice signs for $14 mil, he'd have no choice to sit out again? or, if they renegotiate someone else, you weight the relative value of that signing in comparison with what you did a year ago for another guy? if you're always reacting, how do you ever control it?

as for dockery and walker, seems to me they signed them to make the team better. i'd assume aprt of the analysis had to do with peter's role at L-T and the moneyt hey paid him. maybe they weren't convinced he would hold up through 16 games, maybe they felt his contract demands at that point were absurd, or mayeb they wanted to use the savings on his contract to pay some other guys to build a very good line. didn't work out that way, and part of that had a lot to do with peter's holding out.

finally, maybe it's just that they felt the money they gave schoebel was a higher priority than renegotiating a contract for a guy with three years left.

looks like they're trying to work it out, why not let it play out? put another way--the guy STILL has a lot of time left on his contract, he STILL stands to make an exceptional payday if they didn't offer one dime more, and he could play out his contract and get his crazy money elsewhere, right?

i see this negotiation and i see hope for the future.

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

so....the bills clearly should have signed him with three years left on a new contract, and he clearly had no choice but to hold out? if he had no choice but to hold out, why come back at the beginning of the season? make all the arguments you want about the shelf life of a player and the team's ability to cut a guy, but how do you see it as he had no choice but to sit? and if he had no choice, why "risk" and injury and come back for the season? sit the season, you're the aggrieved party. he blinked, they didn't. he underperformed at the beginning of the season, he wasn't worth the money they had already agreed to early on. how about the team aprpoach then? did he help 'em win?

He had no choice but to sit out because the Bills weren't even planning to entertain the notion of redoing his deal.

By sitting out minicamps and all of training camp, he finally got the Bills to phone his agent and promise that they'd look into extending him after the season. He had no other leverage other than to hold out. See, the Bills voluntarily took care of Schobel with 3 years left on his deal. They didn't do the same for Peters. So Peters did the only thing he could do -- hold out. As for why he didn't sit out the season, why would he? He has a salary to collect and he's under contract. But he knew that he could sit out all of training camp, make the team sweat and not be penalized (the Bills probably wiped out his fines once he returned).

this whole argument that they have to do the right thing, and comparing it with other players on the team never made sense to me. if they give him $12mill, and the next draft choice signs for $14 mil, he'd have no choice to sit out again? or, if they renegotiate someone else, you weight the relative value of that signing in comparison with what you did a year ago for another guy? if you're always reacting, how do you ever control it?

Prices go up over time. That makes sense. I don't think Peters is holding out because "some guy" got more than him. The whole point is that Peters was signed when he was an up and coming right tackle. Now he's one of the better LEFT tackles in the league with 2 Pro Bowls. The compensation that he deserves is a multiple of his salary... not just a few bucks more.

as for dockery and walker, seems to me they signed them to make the team better. i'd assume aprt of the analysis had to do with peter's role at L-T and the moneyt hey paid him. maybe they weren't convinced he would hold up through 16 games, maybe they felt his contract demands at that point were absurd, or mayeb they wanted to use the savings on his contract to pay some other guys to build a very good line. didn't work out that way, and part of that had a lot to do with peter's holding out.

Is that why they cut Dockery 2 years later? The Bills were just flat out retarded to pay $100M to 2 average o-linemen. Could you not see this coming from a mile away? Of course Peters is going to be pissed! The Bills chose the wrong strategy. They should have drafted good linemen and taken care of Peters. Instead, they went on a spending spree and are caught off guard when Peters is upset with his level of compensation? They took care of Schobel in the exact same situation. I see no reason why they shouldn't take care of Peters.

finally, maybe it's just that they felt the money they gave schoebel was a higher priority than renegotiating a contract for a guy with three years left.

Schobel had 3 years left on his deal and was 30 years old when they invested $50.5M in him. It's an absolute no-brainer in terms of where you invest your dollars. It was a poor business decision by the Bills and they are now paying for it, as it blew up in their face. Dockery is gone despite a huge investment. Schobel couldn't even get on the field last year. Peters is unhappy.

looks like they're trying to work it out, why not let it play out? put another way--the guy STILL has a lot of time left on his contract, he STILL stands to make an exceptional payday if they didn't offer one dime more, and he could play out his contract and get his crazy money elsewhere, right?

i see this negotiation and i see hope for the future.

Like I said, they should have drafted his replacement last year if they were going to just sit on this contract. They didn't and they really have no choice but to pay up. They have too much invested in this year to suddenly go cheap at the most critical position on offense besides QB.

And it was the Bills who paid RT Peters MORE than his market value when they saw potential in him and wanted to lock him up.

You're argument just proved my point. Peters will cry every time someone makes more than him. Yet he's done nothing to earn it. If he didn't wet his panties and hold out last year I'd have more respect for the guy. Instead he skipped the off-season workouts, skipped training camp, showed up fat and out of shape, and basically sucked all year until he broke a fingernail at the end of the season and sat out. And for a "elite" left tackle, Trent Edwards took more than his share of abuse by people Peters whiffed on. No thanks on Peters.

PTR

That's definitely not what Dick Mauron said when JP showed up. I remember him saying JP was in fantastic shape, though probably not in game shape.

He got in game shape by chasing DE's who were sacking Trent.

DEs? Don't you mean DBs? Like the one he missed in the Jets' game because his lazy, unmotivated ass never got out of his stance?

Million dollar athlete, $.10 worth of intellect. Willis McGahee with a bigger waist.

DEs? Don't you mean DBs? Like the one he missed in the Jets' game because his lazy, unmotivated ass never got out of his stance?

Million dollar athlete, $.10 worth of intellect. Willis McGahee with a bigger waist.

Oh, was FatBoy supposed to get out of his stance and try to protect his QB, instead of letting a 200 lb. safety dust him on the play? :worthy:

'Cause I keep reading that he wasn't supposed to do that - it wasn't his guy to block. :thumbdown:

Oh, was FatBoy supposed to get out of his stance and try to protect his QB, instead of letting a 200 lb. safety dust him on the play? :worthy:

'Cause I keep reading that he wasn't supposed to do that - it wasn't his guy to block. :thumbdown:

It was Losman's guy to pick up. Peters was responsible for air on that play. [/tards]

So the Bills should have paid Peters 10 million per year for the next five years, when they already had him under contract for 3 million for the next three years? Yeah Sully.....fuggin douche.

Sully douche is redundant like government bureaucracy

And it was the Bills who paid RT Peters MORE than his market value when they saw potential in him and wanted to lock him up.

You're argument just proved my point. Peters will cry every time someone makes more than him. Yet he's done nothing to earn it. If he didn't wet his panties and hold out last year I'd have more respect for the guy. Instead he skipped the off-season workouts, skipped training camp, showed up fat and out of shape, and basically sucked all year until he broke a fingernail at the end of the season and sat out. And for a "elite" left tackle, Trent Edwards took more than his share of abuse by people Peters whiffed on. No thanks on Peters.

PTR

No Promo, your missing the whole argument. At least the angle that I am coming from.

The $4 Million dollar a year contract is hardly elite pay. He had 3 years left in his contract. Why doesn't that compute with you? You really expected him to play through that contract, with three years left, being the 5th highest paid lineman.

If you pay him $11 Million a year, now you are giving him Elite pay. That is what he is looking for. After that, that's it!

He won't ask for more. I know what your gonna say,

"how do you know he won't ask for more?" because that's it. It is ELITE pay. That's all they want, is to be paid accordingly.

Let's just make this easier.

If you were GM, and forget about trading him right now. Would you expect him to play out the remaining 2 years at less than $4Million a year?

I can't prove it to you.

Just like the Dolphins can't prove that paying Jake Long $11 Million dollars a year is a good value, or that paying Dorsey $10 Million is or etc. etc. etc.

It's a risk

But I believe it's a risk worth taking. I don't have confidence that we can replace him with a good alternative. I don't have confidence that we can draft a comparable alternative. I am only going by our history.

Do you have confidence that we can?

of course we can

the Bills history of drafting OL in the last 15 years is outstanding. :thumbdown:

and if that does not work, John Guy can always bring in some of his crackerjack free agent OL candidates - that route has also worked out splendidly in the past :worthy:

To this organization, it would be worth it to pay twice whatever Peters wants - since the Bills are so savvy at finding good OL replacements.

He had no choice but to sit out because the Bills weren't even planning to entertain the notion of redoing his deal.

By sitting out minicamps and all of training camp, he finally got the Bills to phone his agent and promise that they'd look into extending him after the season. He had no other leverage other than to hold out. See, the Bills voluntarily took care of Schobel with 3 years left on his deal. They didn't do the same for Peters. So Peters did the only thing he could do -- hold out. As for why he didn't sit out the season, why would he? He has a salary to collect and he's under contract. But he knew that he could sit out all of training camp, make the team sweat and not be penalized (the Bills probably wiped out his fines once he returned).

[color="#8B0000"]Well, he certainly had a choice and the choice was to play for his agreed upon contract and talk while playing. He chose not to go that way, and it was detrimental to the team. If his strategy was to get the Bills to call him and agree to discuss his new contract after the season and they said they wouldn't talk to the end of his contract, then I'd guess you'd have to say he won. I don't see it that way, but I suppose it's possible. As for the Bill's and Schobel's deal---I think you make my point. They saw it as a higher priority. Do they have to do everything the same for everyone? does any team?

[/color]Prices go up over time. That makes sense. I don't think Peters is holding out because "some guy" got more than him. The whole point is that Peters was signed when he was an up and coming right tackle. Now he's one of the better LEFT tackles in the league with 2 Pro Bowls. The compensation that he deserves is a multiple of his salary... not just a few bucks more.

I disagree on the compensation he "deserves". Each party takes a certain amount of risk in the transaction. The Bills took a gamble and developed him and it paid off for both. These guys routinely talk about having to take care of themselves and their families, and I really do get that. The Bills sign him to the extension, he doesn't perform, they lose. The guy blows out a knee, they lose. The guy plays soft because he finally got his huge payday, they lose. The player weighs out paydays that they can get v. tying up their services for an extended period of time, v. what they might get elsewhere etc. Seems to me you're making an equity argument, and I guess I just don't see it. What I see is a guy who sat out, a guy who showed up unprepared to play, and the ink on his contract was barely dry. Again though, maybe you're right and he forced their hand with his holdout. As for prices going up over time--my recollection is that there were only two holdouts at the beginning of last year. Only two aggrieved parties in the entire NFL?

Is that why they cut Dockery 2 years later? The Bills were just flat out retarded to pay $100M to 2 average o-linemen. Could you not see this coming from a mile away? Of course Peters is going to be pissed! The Bills chose the wrong strategy. They should have drafted good linemen and taken care of Peters. Instead, they went on a spending spree and are caught off guard when Peters is upset with his level of compensation? They took care of Schobel in the exact same situation. I see no reason why they shouldn't take care of Peters.

Actually, I didn't see it coming. I honestly don't have a clue as to what players can do on a given team, how he would have performed etc. I was thrilled to see they finally had a plan to rebuild the line. I was worried about the relative size of the line, because if bigger always meant better every team would be clamoring for huge linemen. But I was hopeful they'd identify a couple guys who would improve a line that needed drastic improvement. As dismal as football has been in WNY for much of my life, the Bill's are hardly the only team to whiff on a plan. Seeing Mike Gandy in the SB was just another example of a cast off playing on a line that achieved something. And finally---all season long I wondered how much better our line might have been if Peter's participated in training camp and showed up strong game one.

Schobel had 3 years left on his deal and was 30 years old when they invested $50.5M in him. It's an absolute no-brainer in terms of where you invest your dollars. It was a poor business decision by the Bills and they are now paying for it, as it blew up in their face. Dockery is gone despite a huge investment. Schobel couldn't even get on the field last year. Peters is unhappy.

Schobel got hurt last year. Did he get hurt carrying the $50m around, or playing football? Bad rap the guy all you want, but he sure seems to command a lot of respect from other teams around the league. Besides-- Peter's has spent time on the sidelines as well. In the end, Dockery was definitely a miss. You can certainly be upset with the plan, but again, they tried to improve the line.

Like I said, they should have drafted his replacement last year if they were going to just sit on this contract. They didn't and they really have no choice but to pay up. They have too much invested in this year to suddenly go cheap at the most critical position on offense besides QB.

And therein lies the ultimate problem. You see it as cheap, they may not see it that way. I think Peter's gambled last year that "they really have no choice but to pay up" and lost on a national stage. You see it differently and I can respect that. But it's a team sport, and the big man is hardly a victim in all this. How come business is only business when it comes to the player?

Anyway, every good football story has intrigue and controversy. I think they get him done, I think he signs, and I for one hope he doesn't complain next year or the year after. Let's hope they can make a playoff run this year.

Well, he certainly had a choice and the choice was to play for his agreed upon contract and talk while playing. He chose not to go that way, and it was detrimental to the team. If his strategy was to get the Bills to call him and agree to discuss his new contract after the season and they said they wouldn't talk to the end of his contract, then I'd guess you'd have to say he won. I don't see it that way, but I suppose it's possible. As for the Bill's and Schobel's deal---I think you make my point. They saw it as a higher priority. Do they have to do everything the same for everyone? does any team?

Schobel was nearing 30. Peters was just coming of age. Not only was Peters more valuable in terms of age, Peters was occupying a position (LT) that has been a major achilles heal for the Bills for the past decade.

Your perspective is a nice one and it would be nice if it were a practical one... but that's just not how this business works. Just like the Bills can cut an underperforming player without honoring his entire contract (see: Dockery), a player can hold out if he feels he needs to use that leverage to improve his compensation. Is it good for the team? No. But sometimes, it's the only way to get your point across.

I disagree on the compensation he "deserves". Each party takes a certain amount of risk in the transaction. The Bills took a gamble and developed him and it paid off for both.

The Bills took a gamble on Willis McGahee. They didn't take a gamble on Jason Peters.

Actually, I didn't see it coming.

He skipped all voluntary workouts and was incommunicado the entire offseason. They knew what was coming, yet Marv opened the vault for Dockery. You see where that took the team!

In the end, Dockery was definitely a miss. You can certainly be upset with the plan, but again, they tried to improve the line.

"Trying" doesn't count in football. The Bills gave Dockery the richest contract in Buffalo Bills history and he was a miss. Where's the accountability? Oh yeah, the entire front office was promoted.

No Promo, your missing the whole argument. At least the angle that I am coming from.

The $4 Million dollar a year contract is hardly elite pay. He had 3 years left in his contract. Why doesn't that compute with you? You really expected him to play through that contract, with three years left, being the 5th highest paid lineman.

If you pay him $11 Million a year, now you are giving him Elite pay. That is what he is looking for. After that, that's it!

He won't ask for more. I know what your gonna say,

"how do you know he won't ask for more?" because that's it. It is ELITE pay. That's all they want, is to be paid accordingly.

Let's just make this easier.

If you were GM, and forget about trading him right now. Would you expect him to play out the remaining 2 years at less than $4Million a year?

I think you Peters fanboys are really missing the point here: Peters shows no respect for trhe Bills or his teammates by sitting out last year. Don't give me the line that he had no choice. That's horse crap. All he had to do is show up and ask for a new deal. Instead he just vanished on the Bills and left us to figure out why.

Players like that aren't worth elite money because they won't play for the team...they play for themselves. And mark my words: if you give Peters the cash now, he'll never be satisfied. The second someone earns more than him he'll hold out. Not only that, he won't even play half the games because very time he gets a run in his panty hose he'll sit out.

Peters is only "elite" because the media calls him that. Any objective analysis of his career shows he only had one good year...and he finished it injured. You call Trent injury-prone??? Try Peters injury history!! He's a fat slob and a quitter. And Pro Bowl votes are a joke. If Peters was a Pro Bowler in 2008 then I should win the Vezina Trophy for playing in my beer league.

The Bills already offered $8.5M/yr which is very fair. They should get a deal done at $9.5. $11.5-12m/yr is a !@#$in' joke.

PTR

I think you Peters fanboys are really missing the point here: Peters shows no respect for trhe Bills or his teammates by sitting out last year. Don't give me the line that he had no choice. That's horse crap. All he had to do is show up and ask for a new deal. Instead he just vanished on the Bills and left us to figure out why.

Players like that aren't worth elite money because they won't play for the team...they play for themselves. And mark my words: if you give Peters the cash now, he'll never be satisfied. The second someone earns more than him he'll hold out. Not only that, he won't even play half the games because very time he gets a run in his panty hose he'll sit out.

Peters is only "elite" because the media calls him that. Any objective analysis of his career shows he only had one good year...and he finished it injured. You call Trent injury-prone??? Try Peters injury history!! He's a fat slob and a quitter. And Pro Bowl votes are a joke. If Peters was a Pro Bowler in 2008 then I should win the Vezina Trophy for playing in my beer league.

The Bills already offered $8.5M/yr which is very fair. They should get a deal done at $9.5. $11.5-12m/yr is a !@#$in' joke.

PTR

Think about this for a second.

Remember when he fired his last agent?

Then he hired which agent?

Do you believe his new, high powered, succesful, let me say that again, succesful agent advised him to play hardball and sit out?

I'm asking you a simple question, do you believe his agent, which he just hired, advised him to sit out and play hard ball?

Ok, now do you believe that Jason Peters knows more about negotiations than Eugene Parker?

Do you believe that Jason Peters should make the decisions or leave the negotiating to Eugene Parker?

Ok, now that is just the Holding out part.

Do you really believe that he would be a good agent if he allowed his client to receive a contract that is worth %15 less than what Jordan Gross signed last month? Jason Peters is arguably better than Jordan Gross. Notice I said Arguably. He is seen at least comprable.

So I will ask the question again, Do you think Eugene Parker would be doing his job if he had Jason Peters sign a contract worth a lot less than Jordan Gross contract? Then you can add in Jake Long to the equation, and it just gives them more leverage.

If your going to respond, then please answer those questions.

Having said all that.

I did not like the advice Parker gave him to hold out, I believe that if he would of come into camp, there wouldn't be all this irrational ire towards him, and I believe that he would of received a deal by now. Peters is the boss, he pays Parker, but to his credit, Parker was just hired by Peters and he was leaving the negotiations to Parker.

But I blame the Bills FO just as much, as they should of not have taken a bull headed approach and they should of been actively looking to have signed him. They probably could of got him to sign last year for $9 Million a year. Now the cost goes up.

As far as your argument is concerned about how he Jason Peters will do it again, because he shows a history of it.

He won't. This is the elite pay. There is no higher grade than the elite grade pay. When Peters signed the last deal for $4Million a year, that was average pay for a starting RT. Obviously his talent warrants more, and that is why he fired his last agent.

Think about this for a second.

Remember when he fired his last agent?

Then he hired which agent?

Do you believe his new, high powered, succesful, let me say that again, succesful agent advised him to play hardball and sit out?

I'm asking you a simple question, do you believe his agent, which he just hired, advised him to sit out and play hard ball?

Ok, now do you believe that Jason Peters knows more about negotiations than Eugene Parker?

Do you believe that Jason Peters should make the decisions or leave the negotiating to Eugene Parker?

Ok, now that is just the Holding out part.

Do you really believe that he would be a good agent if he allowed his client to receive a contract that is worth %15 less than what Jordan Gross signed last month? Jason Peters is arguably better than Jordan Gross. Notice I said Arguably. He is seen at least comprable.

So I will ask the question again, Do you think Eugene Parker would be doing his job if he had Jason Peters sign a contract worth a lot less than Jordan Gross contract? Then you can add in Jake Long to the equation, and it just gives them more leverage.

If your going to respond, then please answer those questions.

Having said all that.

I did not like the advice Parker gave him to hold out, I believe that if he would of come into camp, there wouldn't be all this irrational ire towards him, and I believe that he would of received a deal by now. Peters is the boss, he pays Parker, but to his credit, Parker was just hired by Peters and he was leaving the negotiations to Parker.

But I blame the Bills FO just as much, as they should of not have taken a bull headed approach and they should of been actively looking to have signed him. They probably could of got him to sign last year for $9 Million a year. Now the cost goes up.

As far as your argument is concerned about how he Jason Peters will do it again, because he shows a history of it.

He won't. This is the elite pay. There is no higher grade than the elite grade pay. When Peters signed the last deal for $4Million a year, that was average pay for a starting RT. Obviously his talent warrants more, and that is why he fired his last agent.

Okay...let's follow your argument for a moment. It's Eugene Parker's duty to earn as much money for his client. Is that what you are saying?

I would argue that it's agents job to make his client happy.

Agents work for the athletes. Not the other way around. Players tell agents what they want, or at least they are supposed to. So if Peters is telling his agent to make him the highest paid, no matter what it does to his team or teammates, then he's a royal douche. If Peters is too stupid to stand up for himself, and Peters is letting Parker run the show, that's bad too.

You could have said the same thing about stock brokers and investment bankers. It's their duty to make their clients as much money as possibe. But wait...what if making the most money destroys the economy and causes others to lose their life savings?

The best agents, I think Drew Rosenhaus is a good example, makes deals that make both sides happy. He understands that you can only !@#$ over the team once. Then your bridge is burned for good. Instead he leaves both sides feeling like they won something. He understands that team chemistry is fragile and his clients don't need to be seen as team wreckers.

Eugene Parker only wants to be shown the money. !@#$ you. !@#$ your team. Show me the money. The Bills don't need this.

PTR

Okay...let's follow your argument for a moment. It's Eugene Parker's duty to earn as much money for his client. Is that what you are saying?

Agents work for the athletes. Not the other way around. Players tell agents what they want, or at least they are supposed to. So if Peters is telling his agent to make him the highest paid, no matter what it does to his team or teammates, then he's a royal douche. If Peters is too stupid to stand up for himself, and Peters is letting Parker run the show, that's bad too.

You could have said the same thing about stock brokers and investment bankers. It's their duty to make their clients as much money as possibe. But wait...what if making the most money destroys the economy and causes others to lose their life savings?

The best agents, I think Drew Rosenhaus is a good example, makes deals that make both sides happy. He understands that you can only !@#$ over the team once. Then your bridge is burned for good. Instead he leaves both sides feeling like they won something. He understands that team chemistry is fragile and his clients don't need to be seen as team wreckers.

Eugene Parker only wants to be shown the money. !@#$ you. !@#$ your team. Show me the money. The Bills don't need this.

PTR

Eugene Parker, by almost all accounts, is one of the top agents in the league. One look at his roster makes that inarguable.

PTR

I myself value happiness over anything. So I do agree with that.

But I just can't see too many players and too many agents, talking about the philosophy of happiness, about philosophies of life and if they are, that happiness includes $.

Let's be real here.

My guess is that when Peters fired his last agent, it didn't have to do with his opposing views of family and etc. I would have to think it had to do with the undervalued contract his last agent got him.

So when Peters hired Parker, and I'm going out on a limb here, It probably went something along the lines of "show me the money".

I don't see things as black and white as you do. In between the black and white, there is a lot of gray.

I'm a realist, and I see things in a logical manner, not from a biased, skewed stand point.

I suppose We will just have to agree to disagree.

PTR

Save us the self-righteous rant. Playing for team, fans, sure whatever. These guys know it's a business that imitates a sport and want to get paid in the short window they have. This isn't 1940s baseball.

I'll clue you in on something from last year: Buffalo wasn't going to renegotiate his contract at any point, either before or during the season. There were no overtures from the front office at all. And so a hard stance was met with an equally hard stance by Peters group. Unfortunately, the problem was not resolved, leaving Peters and the Bills at an impasse.

In the end, they're negotiating, and it's not surprising that at the outset they're far apart. BTW, who are you to say a deal is fair? You don't even know what's been offered. Any negotiation begins with a lowball offer, countered by the player high offer. 8.5M per is 1M more than Walter Jones received 4 years ago. The market's been set, and you don't even know what it is.

He will do it again when he is underpaid.

It was the Bills who signed Dockery to a $67M contract despite the fact that he's not an elite player.

It was the Bills who handed Schobel a huge contract extension (note: he had 3 years left on his deal).

It was the Bills who paid Kelsay like a future star.

All that money would have been better spent paying Peters, whose contract is significantly below the market value for tackles. I can't blame the guy for holding out given the kind of money the Bills spent on the O-Line for less capable players.

The Bills signed Dockery to a 49mil dollar deal, not a 67 million dollar deal, and the money spent on Schobel and Kelsay would not have gone to paying Peters. It would have gone to the two guys they would have had to bring in to replace Kelsay and Schobel. People aren't just going to appear for free and play defensive end out of the goodness of their hearts. Should Schobel have gotten an extension. Yes. Should it have been as much as it was, no. Should Kelsay have been resigned? Yes, but as a player for veteran depth and backup behind someone they brought in as a starter at DE. That being said, Buffalo will get a deal done for Peters and they will have to overpay, but that's better than trying to bring in a first round tackle who will want a Jake Long sized deal, or trying to find a less than adequate answer in FA, as there aren't a whole lot of options available at the tackle position.

PTR, I completely agree there is nothing to say that Peters won't begin whining again in another year or two if someone else on another team gets more money than him, and at that point Buffalo is screwed. You can't tell a 10M player to go ride the pine. They truly are too expensive at that point, and that means you also can't trade them. However, Buffalo could restructure the contract in such a way that he gets paid his massive money now, say for the next two years, but that the amount will dwindle down to about 8.5 mil in say year five, thus easing some of the impact. That might be a contract that Peters and his agent would be willing to do, which would save the Bills some money in the long run. Either way, both sides aren't in great positions.