Pettigrew coming in for visit on Monday

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The Buffalo Bills don't know what it's like to have a great tight end! Metzalars is revered in these parts but he was never a real threat. Ernie Warlick is the last Bills T.E. opponents had to consider. When Pettigrews' plane lands, SHUT DOWN THE AIRPORT until draft day. The networks can link up a camera here with Trent, Lee, Marshawn and Terrell all welcoming him to the team.

Keith McKellar was a better TE than the Bricklayer but injuries cut his career short. He had all the tools.

The guy barely breaks 5 seconds in the 40 yard dash. why would we spend the 11th pick in the draft on a big slow TE? Haven't we had our fill of guys like this arealdy?

oh ya, I forgot

The 40 time is what matters for a TE :thumbdown:

I heard some of you say Cushing, if we had to go that route, which I really wouldn't want to, then I'd rather have Matthews. Great production, great bloodlines, and even faster, stronger, better vertical than Cushing. Don't be surprised to see him move way up the draft charts.

Do we really need a TE. Hear me out for a sec. You have Evans that might be one of the best deep threats in the game. Terrell Owens is great at running after the catch. I think he has lead the league the last few years in yds per catch. Josh Reed has turned into a great third option/ possession type of guy. Metzelars was not a great TE but seemed to always make the T.D catch when we needed it, but how much of that was because people were focusing on Reed and either Lofton or Bebe? To me, two good recievers make an average T.E look really good. Save the pick for Defense front seven. fine had a couple of nice games last year once he came back. Not saying he is the next Jason Whitten or anything, but he will probably look a lot better with Evans, Terrell, and Reed all lined up around him.

Do we really need a TE. Hear me out for a sec. You have Evans that might be one of the best deep threats in the game. Terrell Owens is great at running after the catch. I think he has lead the league the last few years in yds per catch. Josh Reed has turned into a great third option/ possession type of guy. Metzelars was not a great TE but seemed to always make the T.D catch when we needed it, but how much of that was because people were focusing on Reed and either Lofton or Bebe? To me, two good recievers make an average T.E look really good. Save the pick for Defense front seven. fine had a couple of nice games last year once he came back. Not saying he is the next Jason Whitten or anything, but he will probably look a lot better with Evans, Terrell, and Reed all lined up around him.

Metzelaars not great, but always made the big TD catch when we needed it? hmmmmm

I don't think a big time deep threat TE is completely necessary either. A steady guy that can get off the line and help Trent by sucking in everything thats thrown his way is necessary. The best part of the deal is that Pettigrew can do that for us and it's not even his best attribute. The guy loves to block and is dominant at it. I know that it's not the most fan friendly pick but this type of player makes everyone on offense better. I think this type of player has a quicker impact as well.

I don't know where I read or heard it (perhaps it was Mike Mayock), but it was about how Brian Cushing only played on 1st and 2nd downs for the Trojans. Can anyone confirm this?

If that is true, I would be somewhat skeptical of drafting a LB who wasn't an every down player in college (even if it was at USC). I don't know exactly what it is about him, but when you watch his highlight reel on youtube he looks a little slow. Always seems to be cleaning up tackles late after another defender has already stood the player up. Ray Maualuga impresses more so than Cushing IMO.

I don't know where I read or heard it (perhaps it was Mike Mayock), but it was about how Brian Cushing only played on 1st and 2nd downs for the Trojans. Can anyone confirm this?

If that is true, I would be somewhat skeptical of drafting a LB who wasn't an every down player in college (even if it was at USC). I don't know exactly what it is about him, but when you watch his highlight reel on youtube he looks a little slow. Always seems to be cleaning up tackles late after another defender has already stood the player up. Ray Maualuga impresses more so than Cushing IMO.

i have been saying this since january. ray m. makes plays and at the end of day you look for someone to make a play. bottom line

Metzelars had a knack for making some big catches. I overstated a little. But he had a good career, mostly because he was playing with very good talent around him. I would like Pettigrew a lot. But i think there are mor epressing areas of need. The D front seven and the Oline are much bigger needs. You address them this year. Maybe next year then you draft a TE in the first if you feel you are set at other areas. But if the Bills do draft a TE it better be in the first or second otherwise you are right back where you are now with another Derrick Fine or Schouman. I would see it as a total waiste to draft a TE in the fourth or so. If you go TE then draft on eof the best.

DE or Pettigrew. Everett Brown would be a good pick, but Pettigrew may be the best OVERALL Te in a while. He is like having an extra OL and has nice hands and is a big target. Naturally a trade down would be nice, but if they can't I would rather see him than a cushing.

Right now is about the time when I really start overanalyzing things when it comes to players in the draft......

I have a question for anyone that might be able answer it......WTF happened with Corey Moore? He was a guy we took high who was an undersized DE that was supposed to be a lethal pass rusher correct?

That is what I am starting to fear......putting that 11th pick on a DE who is going to be undersized and doesn't pan out. The more time goes on the more I am just hoping to trade out of that 11th pick for more talent.....since we cant seem to bring in the top talent in free agency (and seem to have a hard time keeping out own) the more quality picks the better for this team.

I fully acknowledge our need at DE but I would have absolutely no problem if we drafted this guy. He's the most complete tight end in the draft and the only tight end who combines in-line experience with good hands.

Pettigrew was arrested the summer before his senior year. There was a party and the cops game. There have been different reports of what happened. Some say it was overreaction by a college town cop. Either way Pettigrew pushed the cop and that is a no non. Bone headed move on his part and he was arrested. I don't remember the details but the charges were either reduced or dropped completely.

It was a very stupid move on Pettigrew's part but it was a one time deal. He has never had any other displine problems during college and was a team leader. I really don't think character is a concern.

I'm as big of a Pettigrew fan as there is. Honestly, I don't care what his 40 time is, the guy is not slow. He isn't a burner who is going to streak down the field and anyone who drafts him will realise that. He is an amazing blocker with great hands. I don't know if the Bills should take him at No. 11 but I do think he is hands down the best pure TE in the draft and will be a good player in the league for a long time.

Right now is about the time when I really start overanalyzing things when it comes to players in the draft......

I have a question for anyone that might be able answer it......WTF happened with Corey Moore? He was a guy we took high who was an undersized DE that was supposed to be a lethal pass rusher correct?

That is what I am starting to fear......putting that 11th pick on a DE who is going to be undersized and doesn't pan out. The more time goes on the more I am just hoping to trade out of that 11th pick for more talent.....since we cant seem to bring in the top talent in free agency (and seem to have a hard time keeping out own) the more quality picks the better for this team.

Corey Moore was not only WAY undersized but I think we drafted him in the third round and most of the league before the draft thought he wasn't going to amount to much in the NFL because he was tiny. The Dolphins signed him and tried to make him a linebacker.

The more that I think about it the more that I think that the Bills just might be considering of trading dow. The TE position is traditionally a lower draft pick and the Bills just might not like what is available to them at the #11 spot. Raji should be off the board and Maybin has just admitted to playing at 230 lbs last year with a body that is still developing. Trading down and gathering more early picks would make sens for the Bills if they wanted to address the whole front seven of their defense. There are some very good LBs available during the mid to late 1st rd. Grabbing Pettigrew and someone like Ohio St LB James Laurinaitis would be awsome if we could work out a trade with Philadelphia. Picking OG Duke Robinson in the 2nd rd would make this one excellent draft for us.

No way, the markets too volatile these days. :ph34r:

Ah my recollection is correct. Leodis McKelvin did visit the Bills last March. This gives credence to the Bills actual interest in Pettigrew I suppose although if you're a poker player, it could mean just the opposite.

http://buf.scout.com/2/741554.html

Thanks, I don't know if this really matters but nobody expected him to be left over by the Bills pick.

It would seem to me that some years they bring in guys they have no intention of drafting and other years they don't. It keeps the other teams guessing.